OCCRA
Go to Post If you pay attention to every nut job on ChiefDelphi, you'll never reach a decision. - JesseK [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 08:06 AM
AKA: Steve
FRC #1289 (GearHeadz)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2017
OttoDeLupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Driver station ethernet at competition

Hi All,

My team recently purchased some new LTs for the upcoming seasons. One thing we missed getting on these was having a cat-5 port on the LTs. Now we're wondering what we can do.

One option was to get a dongle & plug that into the USB-C port. Then, since there's only one other USB port, connect a hub to that second port and the joysticks go into that hub. Any thoughts on this set up?

During build season, I'm guessing this must be the way to go, as the cat-5 is needed to program the radio, etc.

I'm assuming that we can't just use wireless to talk to the FMS; but maybe I'm wrong? Or we can, but there would be so much interference as to make it completely nonviable.

Other thoughts, comments welcome.

Otto
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 08:15 AM
FRC #5421 (Birch Bots)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2015
Zack-5421 has a spectacular aura aboutZack-5421 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Driver station ethernet at competition

You need to use Ethernet USB-C ethernet dongles are cheap are work https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...+usbc+ethernet

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 08:21 AM
Another day, gotta give 'em hell
AKA: It's burning straight through the dark...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron) (Also, CD mod.)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoDeLupe View Post
Hi All,

My team recently purchased some new LTs for the upcoming seasons. One thing we missed getting on these was having a cat-5 port on the LTs. Now we're wondering what we can do.

One option was to get a dongle & plug that into the USB-C port. Then, since there's only one other USB port, connect a hub to that second port and the joysticks go into that hub. Any thoughts on this set up?

During build season, I'm guessing this must be the way to go, as the cat-5 is needed to program the radio, etc.

I'm assuming that we can't just use wireless to talk to the FMS; but maybe I'm wrong? Or we can, but there would be so much interference as to make it completely nonviable.

Other thoughts, comments welcome.

Otto
You are correct on this much: you MUST connect to the field using Ethernet. Wireless won't fly.

In a perfect world, you'll buy a different laptop that is The Driver Station Laptopô sporting inbuilt Ethernet and USB-A ports to minimize failure points. https://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/3452 has more best practices on what to look for in hardware and software.

If you must use these laptops, the paper points to using reputable makers for USB-to-Ethernet accessories. While I haven't used any of these in a competition setting, Wirecutter has a nice guide on USB-C accessories.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

117 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Kotlin Master Race
FRC #5190 (Green Hope Falcons)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2018
Prateek M is on a distinguished road

We used a USB to Ethernet adapter for all of our matches in 2018 and we haven't had any issues yet.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 08:50 AM
Developing tomorrow's best people
AKA: Alex Tannahill
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
ATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond repute

I have had good experiences with this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076YQL6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I base my answers off of the game manual, Q&A responses and field tour videos at the time of my post. Rules will probably be modified or clarified between this post and your competition. My post means nothing to event officials. Please keep up with team manual updates and the FRC Q&A.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 08:54 AM
FRC #2830

ErikSLee is an unknown quantity at this point

We used USB dongles for Ethernet for 1 season and decided to switch back. One more point of failure, and in debugging connectivity issues, it was one more suspect/testing point. We wound up switching back to a laptop with built in Ethernet.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 09:22 AM
Roboter
AKA: Mark Lavrentyev
no team (College)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2015
Hitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATannahill View Post
I have had good experiences with this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076YQL6...v_ov_lig_dp_it
As a counter point, we have had nothing but trouble with that one (though it may have been that ours was defective).

I will suggest that, no matter what you do, bring a few backups. It's cheap compared to the cost of missing a match.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 10:53 AM
Official Scorekeeper
AKA: Larry Bolan
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
ratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond repute

The do make USB3.0 Gigabit adapters with hubs built in (IIRC in USB-C too). Many/most FTAs (or at least most/all of the ones I know) carry one in their bag at events to deal with the situation of a laptop with USB maxed out and the exiting LAN on the laptop not behaving. Something I personally suggest all teams have one of, as a backup plan in the event of such happening and one not being available at the event.

If you're going to use one full time, buy a spare... just in case it fries or something dumb happens that slices your cable.

DISCLAIMER: Any opinions/comments posted are solely my personal opinion and does not reflect the views/opinions of FIRST, IndianaFIRST, or any other organization.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 11:12 AM
Smooth Operator
AKA: FrankenMentor
FTC #12789 (The Hack-Gearz)

Rookie Year: 2003
Danny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Danny Diaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker 42 View Post
As a counter point, we have had nothing but trouble with that one (though it may have been that ours was defective).
I can personally say that if yours was defective, mine was too. It worked fine for a couple uses, but then would only sometimes work, the ethernet would start cutting out, and a number of other problems. I threw mine away in disgust. I then paid a little more, and bought essentially the same thing from Anker and haven't looked back since.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Unibody.../dp/B00PC07T02

-Danny
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 04:26 PM
FRC #0537

Rookie Year: 2009
codedr will become famous soon enoughcodedr will become famous soon enough

We had a DS Laptop Ethernet port 'break' because the spring the held the ethernet port closed broke with repeated use. We used a USB ethernet to finish the competition season to connect to FMS. All DS laptops we get now we look for an actual solid ethernet port. The ethernet pigtail that was in kit of parts the last several seasons is helpful too.

I've not successfully gotten the Radio config tool to work through the ethernet USB dongle. Perhaps it's something I'm doing wrong, or there's something wrong with our dongles.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 05:10 PM
AKA: Josh Patterson
FRC #1710 (Ravonics Revolution)

Rookie Year: 2012
Jpatterson1710 is just really niceJpatterson1710 is just really niceJpatterson1710 is just really niceJpatterson1710 is just really nice

While reducing potential points of failure would likely be the best option, it is not always possible. After all, several ethernet adapters are substantially less expensive than a dedicated DS computer in most cases.

So assuming you move forward with DS device you have now:
  • As others mentioned, FMS connectivity has to come from the cord.
  • Don't skimp on the adapter, its not worth missing half a match just because a good knock killed you ethernet adapter.
  • Purchase several adapters - Misplaced or faulty adapters are not out of the question.
  • Have a system in place to make sure at least one if not a couple adapters make it out to the field for each match. It seems silly, but as an FTA I have seen far too many times.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: