OCCRA
Go to Post Once we know how magic works it's no longer magic; it becomes science. - Karthik [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2018, 01:32 PM
AKA: Sarah Nichols
FRC #0668 (The Apes of Wrath)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
snichols is a glorious beacon of lightsnichols is a glorious beacon of lightsnichols is a glorious beacon of lightsnichols is a glorious beacon of lightsnichols is a glorious beacon of lightsnichols is a glorious beacon of light
Seeking Volunteer Opportunities

Does your team need outside engineers to judge your internal design competition? Help figuring out feeds and speeds to get your new mill running? Judges for an FLL competition you're hosting? A speaker to come inspire your students with tales of what it's like to work for the world leader in robotic surgery?

The company I work for recently launched a foundation. Part of the new foundation is a portal where employees can post and search for volunteer activities. My company has a long history of supporting FIRST, and I've developed a reputation at work for being passionate about FIRST, so leadership has asked me to put together some FIRST-related volunteer opportunities for the portal. Of course I'll put up our local regionals when we get closer to March, but I don't know of any volunteer opportunities off-hand that're going on right now, so I'm turning to Chief Delphi for ideas.

I'm willing to entertain requests for mentors, but I think the portal is better suited for short-term commitments such as volunteering at events or helping a team with a specific, limited-scope task. We're primarily located in the Bay Area, but also have satellite offices in Raleigh and Atlanta. Volunteer opportunities can come from any of the four programs, not limited to just FRC teams.

Comment or DM me if you have ideas!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2018, 01:51 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Seeking Volunteer Opportunities

Reach out to your local senior mentor and RD, as well as the Volunteer Coordinator for your local events - they'll be in a great position to help you fill out the list of opportunities, and advise on timing for posting - volunteer applications for events do close at some point, as everyone volunteering needs to get through YPP screening, and some positions close even earlier!
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2018, 01:54 PM
AKA: Rachel Moore
FRC #3005 (RoboChargers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
RaMoore has a brilliant futureRaMoore has a brilliant futureRaMoore has a brilliant futureRaMoore has a brilliant futureRaMoore has a brilliant futureRaMoore has a brilliant futureRaMoore has a brilliant futureRaMoore has a brilliant futureRaMoore has a brilliant futureRaMoore has a brilliant futureRaMoore has a brilliant future

That's great you're thing this for your company!

I wouldn't wait too long to post your FRC Regional volunteer opportunities. Reach out to your Volunteer Coordinator now about FRC event volunteering opportunities and see what roles they need help with. While the competitions aren't until March, VCs are hard at work right now in most places and generally look to have all the key roles filled by early/mid January.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2018, 04:33 PM
AKA: Sarah Nichols
FRC #0668 (The Apes of Wrath)

Rookie Year: 2012
snichols is a glorious beacon of lightsnichols is a glorious beacon of lightsnichols is a glorious beacon of lightsnichols is a glorious beacon of lightsnichols is a glorious beacon of lightsnichols is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the advice. I've already reached out to our regional director and am waiting to hear back, I'll try our volunteer coordinator as well. From this post I'm mostly hoping to find out if any teams in the area have specific, smallish needs/opportunities that might not be known to the higher-ups.

Last edited by snichols : 12-06-2018 at 04:35 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2018, 05:06 PM
Mentor
AKA: Stephen des Jardins
FRC #2102 (Team Paradox)

Rookie Year: 2007
Big Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant futureBig Ideas has a brilliant future

How about building field elements for practice and hosting/housing a practice field for local teams. (I know you said SMALL).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: