OCCRA
Go to Post It's only messy if you allow it to be. - Jay H 237 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2018, 01:27 AM
FRC #0247 (Da Bears)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
berkleyfanatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Class of 2019, where are you applying?

Feel free to DM me about Lawrence Technological Univesity. Currently a second-year Robotics engineering student!
2018: Alumni

#47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2018, 07:28 AM
Brian Maher Fan Club (BMFC) founder
AKA: Karan Yadav
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2016
KaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond reputeKaranY has a reputation beyond repute

Heres my long list of everywhere im applying, semi sorted

Princeton
Cornell
Carnegie Melon
UPenn
Duke
Columbia University
Purdue
Northeastern
Georgia Tech
Boston University
RPI
RIT
Stony Brook

Im planning to major im CS.

2018: Central New York Winners, TVR Finalists, Detroit World Championship Darwin Quarterfinalists, IRI Invite
2017: TVR Winners, NYC Semifinalists, St. Louis World Championship Curie Quarterfinalists, IRI Invite, Ra Cha Cha Ruckus Quarterfinalists, Robot Rumble Winners
2016: TVR Semifinalists, FLR Semifinalists, Robot Rumble Winners, BattleCry Winners

Last edited by KaranY : 10-19-2018 at 07:32 AM.
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2018, 07:55 AM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)
Team Role: Mentor

gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

I saw one UIUC in here! ILL!

I'd be happy to provide four-year-out-of-date knowledge, or second-hand-current-knowledge if desired!
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2018, 08:23 AM
SemiAlumni:Programming&Scouting
AKA: Tom Schwarz
FRC #4613 (The Barker Redbacks)
Team Role: Programmer

Cabey4 will become famous soon enoughCabey4 will become famous soon enough

Short version:
- Sydney uni, UNSW, maybe ANU (Australian national uni)
Major choices:
Probably Computer Science & Commerce
Also maybe Engineering (most likely Electrical but not too sure), Science (Physics or Maths) or International Relations/some other politics thing

Long version that I originally wrote (and maybe got a bit carried away):
Because of different school year dates, I'm actually class of 2018, but seeing as how I've either already graduated or will graduate in 3 weeks (depending on how you interpret our questionable school system) it makes the most sense to post here! Anyway, my uni choices are:
- Sydney uni (usyd)
- UNSW
- maybe ANU, although itís kind of hard to justify paying the extra 20k for accommodation (Most people in Aus. go to uni in the same city as their parents and stay at home, which I'd be doing for usyd/unsw)

In Australia, you generally apply to a specific degree, rather than just a uni. Also, degrees are much more specific, I think each degree is generally like a US major (for example, you could get a Bachelor of commerce majoring in finance, or a bachelor of engineering majoring in electrical)(You can normally change degrees at uni, you might just delay your graduation if you've taken courses that no longer count, so my choices thankfully aren't permeant). Also, double degrees are a thing that exist where you major in two areas and the degree takes a bit longer - normally, five years instead of three (although if you double with engineering itís more like 6. Also, most degrees (not engineering) are only three years as they don't do the first take-lots-of-different-subjects thing-before-you-major, from what I understand of the American system.

So, I haven't really decided but I'm currently thinking of doing a double degree of some combination of two of the following:
- Computer Science
- Commerce
- Engineering - probably electrical, although I'm not really sure (if you can't tell that's a bit of a trend here)
- Science, majoring in either Physics or Maths
- International relations, or some other geopolitically thing.

If I had to make my preferences right now, itíd be: (you apply to unis as domestic student in aus based on your results in state-wide end of year exams like AP exams + your school results that year. The gov. combines those two marks to rank everyone in the state and, based on that ranking, you get accepted into the first out of five preferences that you qualify for. So, Australian students (studying domestically) don't apply to unis with essays and SATs and interviews and stuff, but rather by listing their preferences with UAC and (hopefully) doing well in the scary exams (called HSC). For a non-ranty summary, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher...ew_South_Wales) ).

So, my preferences:
1. Commerce / Advanced Computing (i.e. computer science) at usyd probably but maybe unsw haven't decided
2. Advanced Computing / International Relations ideally at usyd but I'm not sure if that exists as a course. ANU offers it but money... (usyd should offer it, I just failed to wade through their horrible website)
3. Commerce / Science (Physics) @ usyd or unsw, similarly undecided
4. International Relations / Science (Physics) @ usyd or unsw, similarly undecided
5. Law commerce @ usyd for kicks (not really, I just didn't know what else to say as the 5th (can only do 5th and not sure how to rank all the engineering / everything else combinations))

Also, these wouldn't actually be my preferences because if you don't get into 1. you wouldnít get into 3. (as commerce has higher entrance rank than both computer science or science so the double degrees both go to the same rank of commerce, provided same uni) so there's no point in that arrangement... also I am unsure of uni choices so it's not currently an actual preference list... probably should figure this out soonish (deadline for round 1 is December 16th).

Maybe what Iím trying to ask is:
How do you determine which university is 'better'?
Both USYD & UNSW rank similar in the uni rankings. Both would cost similar amounts. UNSW is a bit farther to travel to. But, UNSW also is apparently better at engineering, but I'm not sure why or what makes it better - also, if that is actually the case or just marketing. At this point I'm feeling like theyíre both close enough that it doesnít really matter and just go to usyd because it's closer, supposedly has better reputation generally (not engineering though) and I think gives me more flexibility with course choices?

Sorry for making this a bit of a crash course in Australia's education system. It's exciting to see where other people are going, good luck with your uni applications!

#50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2018, 11:49 AM
AKA: Theo Bafrali
FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

TheoB is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh God, it can't be that time already? *panic ensues*

My List, doing some 1 - .95^n kinda math here real quick
Math Major,
Private: CalTech, MIT, Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Columbia, Brown, Penn, UChicago, Carnegie Mellon, Pomona, Harvey Mudd.

Public: UC - B, LA, SD, SB, CalPoly Slo

Best of luck and godspeed.
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-21-2018, 08:47 PM
I make the robot work (sometimes)
AKA: Lundo
FRC #5638 (LqPV Robotics)

brandon5638 is a splendid one to beholdbrandon5638 is a splendid one to beholdbrandon5638 is a splendid one to beholdbrandon5638 is a splendid one to beholdbrandon5638 is a splendid one to beholdbrandon5638 is a splendid one to beholdbrandon5638 is a splendid one to beholdbrandon5638 is a splendid one to behold

I've been seeing these posts since the class of 2015, and I can't believe it's my turn to post in this thread!

I've applied and been accepted to the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology for a CS major.

Doing is better than hoping. ctrl+z can save lives. 4 Year Driver.

2015 - Northern Lights Quarter Finalists, Minnesota State Qualifiers
2017 - Iowa Regional Semi-Finalists, Minnesota State Qualifiers
2018 - Great Northern Regional Finalists, Minnesota North Star Quarter Finalists, Minnesota State Qualifiers
2019 - ?????
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-21-2018, 08:53 PM
UW REACT | uwreact.ca
AKA: Michael Midura
no team (UW REACT)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2010
michaelwm is just really nicemichaelwm is just really nicemichaelwm is just really nicemichaelwm is just really nicemichaelwm is just really nice

If there are any Canadian students with questions about the University of Waterloo, specifically the Mechatronics Engineering program, I'm happy to answer any PMs!
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-21-2018, 09:08 PM
AKA: Eric Banuelos
FRC #4201 (The Vitruvian Bots)
Team Role: Leadership

dragonsword2468 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, I can't believe that it's already that time. I feel like just yesterday I was a freshman asking seniors where they were applying.

Baylor University
California Lutheran University
Cal Poly SLO
Cal State Dominguez Hills
UC San Diego
UC Santa Barbara
Colorado School of Mines
Embry Riddle
Harvey Mudd
Loyola Marymount University
Manhattan College
Saint Mary's College of California
San Francisco State
University of Southern California

I plan to major in Computer Engineering/Computer Science/Cyber Security
Good luck to eveyone!
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-21-2018, 09:25 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon5638 View Post
I've been seeing these posts since the class of 2015, and I can't believe it's my turn to post in this thread!

I've applied and been accepted to the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology for a CS major.

If you have questions about SD Mines, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Still have a couple connections in the area.

SDSM&T, BSME '12.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2018, 08:46 AM
FRC #0074

AC@B will become famous soon enough

Also a bit of a gut check finally writing this. I am currently planning on applying to 4 schools:

University Of Michigan Ann Arbor as LSA undeclared

Parsons School Of Design at The New School for Business Design and Management

Additionally my high school requires that students are accepted to a 4 year college to graduate, so I am applying to a couple schools as just in case options:

Western Michigan University
Grand Valley State University
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2018, 08:47 AM
Let me cool you down.
AKA: Taegen Poles
FRC #4476 (W.A.F.F.L.E.S)

Rookie Year: 2012
tmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond reputetmpoles has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone (especially Canadians) with questions about Queen's University (in Canada), and engineering in particular, feel free to DM me with questions. I'm in my third year of material engineering here.

2018: ONOSH W(610, 6110), ONNOB F(2708, 5834), ONCMP1 QF(4618, 2386), CARS QF(384, 4004, 191)
2018 Awards: ONOSH Chairmans, ONNOB Excellence in Engineering, CARS Team Spirit
2017: ONOSH SF(5036, 3683), ONWAT SF(4917, 6342), ONNOB SF(865, 5834), ONCMP QF(5036, 4917), ARCH QF(3467, 930, 1325)
2017 Awards: ONWAT Engineering Inspiration, ONNOB Creativity, ONCMP Engineering Inspiration

Also a 771 alum, Fantasy First TBC member, President of QFRC, Mentor of FLL team 37641 and FLL/FRC referee!

I am honoured to be representing Canada as a W Series qualifier and compete for my chance to race a Formula 3 car in the series. If you're interested in supporting my racing or learning more, feel free to send me a PM!
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2018, 09:06 AM
Drive/Programming/Webmaster
AKA: Nathan Strodtbeck
FRC #5980 (East Grand Rapids Robotics)

NathanStro is a glorious beacon of lightNathanStro is a glorious beacon of lightNathanStro is a glorious beacon of lightNathanStro is a glorious beacon of lightNathanStro is a glorious beacon of lightNathanStro is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC@B View Post
Additionally my high school requires that students are accepted to a 4 year college to graduate, so I am applying to a couple schools as just in case
WHAT??? How is that allowed? What if you don't want to go to college? Why apply?

DRIVE TEAM Operator 2016: Worlds St. Louis | Driver 2017: Worlds St. Louis | Driver 2018: Worlds Detroit
"Its not about the robot""Build A Robot, Build a Team, Build a Future""Robots is hard"
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2018, 09:08 AM
Strategy 'n Stuff
FTC #15096 (The Holland BioHazards)

Rookie Year: 2013
Nate Johansen has much to be proud ofNate Johansen has much to be proud ofNate Johansen has much to be proud ofNate Johansen has much to be proud ofNate Johansen has much to be proud ofNate Johansen has much to be proud ofNate Johansen has much to be proud ofNate Johansen has much to be proud ofNate Johansen has much to be proud ofNate Johansen has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanStro View Post
WHAT??? How is that allowed? What if you don't want to go to college? Why apply?
One of the schools that makes up Team 74 is a charter school, which allows them to have something like this as a graduation requirement.
2018-Present - Mentor, FTC 15096 - The Holland BioHazards

Last edited by Nate Johansen : 10-22-2018 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Grammar is not my strong suit
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2018, 10:00 AM
FRC #2502 (Talon Robotics)

Poorva.Halbe is an unknown quantity at this point

Even writing this out fills me with a level of fear
But as a hopeful biomedical engineering major...
  • MIT
  • University of Minnesota Twin Cities
  • UW Madison
  • Georgia Tech
  • University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
  • UC Berkeley
  • UC Los Angeles
  • University of Michigan Ann Arbor

I feel like this list is a little short in comparison to others but I'm not sure where else I'd apply!
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2018, 11:18 AM
AKA: Justin
FRC #5254 (HYPE)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

jtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond reputejtrv has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna drop this in here, since I feel like it's relevant.

If you are reading this and you are feeling panicked about not applying to Ivies -- relax. If you are reading this and you are feeling worried since you only applied to 5 (or fewer) schools -- relax.

There's a lot of stress about college apps. Don't set up false expectations of yourself, and there is no use comparing yourself to others. Different people look for different things in different schools. College rankings are borderline worthless. Don't beat yourself up because you didn't get in to the #1 engineering/business/science/art school in your section of the country, or whatever.

At the end of the day, a piece of paper is a piece of paper. Don't pay more than you need to for it. You can get the same jobs with a public degree vs a private degree.

A handful of kids I graduated high school with didn't come into school for a couple days because they were too embarrassed to admit that they didn't get into the Ivy schools that they thought they would. Don't be like these kids.

Shoot for the stars, but remember that a star is a star. Develop healthy habits for yourself.

Good luck everyone.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: