OCCRA
Go to Post Wait...engineers have personalities? - Mark McLeod [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#61   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2018, 05:24 PM
Minister of Zip Ties
AKA: Sam Ehrenstein
FRC #0449 (The Blair Robot Project)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
qscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond reputeqscgy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Class of 2019, where are you applying?

I can answer any questions about Case Western Reserve University. DM me or email me at sie3@case.edu.

FRC Team 449, 2014-Present
Case Western Reserve University Class of 2021
  #62   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-23-2018, 02:39 AM
FRC #2485 (W.A.R. Lords)

Rookie Year: 2015
Liam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustjon View Post
I'm well aware that FRC students pursuing a major in business are a rare breed
Try theater majors 😉

#63   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-23-2018, 06:30 AM
FRC #0074

AC@B will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanStro View Post
WHAT??? How is that allowed? What if you don't want to go to college? Why apply?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Johansen View Post
One of the schools that makes up Team 74 is a charter school, which allows them to have something like this as a graduation requirement.
Nate is exactly right. It is part of their curriculum for "preparing students for college and life." If you are not going to college or doing trade school or something, then you just find a random middle of nowhere college with no essays and no application fee, apply there and get accepted.

It really is not too much of a hassle, and to my knowledge there has never been a student who has not met graduation requirements due to this rule, but honestly it does not really do anything. I highly doubt that the fact someone was forced to get accepted to a college has changed their mind on going, yet everyone brags about this rule as an amazing new idea in education haha.
  #64   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2018, 01:36 AM
Chicago Transplant
AKA: Devin Keeney
FRC #1982 (Cougar Robotics)

Bkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant futureBkeeneykid has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrv View Post
I'm gonna drop this in here, since I feel like it's relevant.

If you are reading this and you are feeling panicked about not applying to Ivies -- relax. If you are reading this and you are feeling worried since you only applied to 5 (or fewer) schools -- relax.

There's a lot of stress about college apps. Don't set up false expectations of yourself, and there is no use comparing yourself to others. Different people look for different things in different schools. College rankings are borderline worthless. Don't beat yourself up because you didn't get in to the #1 engineering/business/science/art school in your section of the country, or whatever.

At the end of the day, a piece of paper is a piece of paper. Don't pay more than you need to for it. You can get the same jobs with a public degree vs a private degree.

A handful of kids I graduated high school with didn't come into school for a couple days because they were too embarrassed to admit that they didn't get into the Ivy schools that they thought they would. Don't be like these kids.

Shoot for the stars, but remember that a star is a star. Develop healthy habits for yourself.

Good luck everyone.
This is something I realized fairly early on in my application process last year... as much as I probably could have applied to an Ivy and tried really hard and gotten in... I'm not sure how much further it would have gotten me. I took a hard look at what these colleges actually got and what my life would be like for the next few years. Because of that, I'm now going to a mid-high tier college (Illinois Institute of Technology) and having the time of my life rather than worrying about the Valedictorians that are sitting next to me in every single class at a higher end school.

Now don't get my advice wrong, if you can shoot for an Ivy and thrive there, by all means go for it. However, that's a rare breed of student. Instead, I chose a school with lots of connections, which is very personable and focused a lot on genuinely preparing me for the workforce. Illinois Tech has some of the most caring staff and programs that I saw out of any college I toured. And, having an AMAZING FIRST scholarship certainly helped a lot.

One of the things that I like to tell people is that IIT is absolutely terrible at marketing itself. Most of the reasons I ended up coming here are not the reasons they like to advertise. With that being said, I am more than happy to talk to anybody who's interested in engineering, computer science, architecture, business, law or even music (The VanderCook college of music here is excellent) about IIT. Despite being a much smaller school, there's a ton of majors you wouldn't expect here for a college of our size. I hang out on Discord significantly more than here, so find me with @bkeeneykid#9671.

Studying at the Illinois Institute of Technology
Vice President of Philanthropy at Illinois Tech Robotics

Join the FRC Discord!
  #65   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2018, 09:39 AM
HMU with some sponsors
AKA: Daniel Talbott
FRC #0340 (G.R.R.)
Team Role: Leadership

Dan T. is a glorious beacon of lightDan T. is a glorious beacon of lightDan T. is a glorious beacon of lightDan T. is a glorious beacon of lightDan T. is a glorious beacon of lightDan T. is a glorious beacon of light

Applying to Rochester Institute of Technology for early decision. My major will be undecided. RIT has a great undecided program (it is called University Exploration) and will help me make a better career choice!

Team 340
2018 - Central New York Regional Winners, FLR Winners (finally), and Indiana Robotics Invitational Winners!
2017 - Buckeye Regional Winners, FLR Finalists, Rah Cha Cha Ruckus Winners
2016 - FLR Finalists

Thanks to all alliance partners this season: 195, 238, 319, 1507, 1559, 1585, 2056, 2168, 2791, 3550, 3504, 5030, and 7081!

Visit our website here!
  #66   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2018, 11:11 AM
FRC 2959 Alumna
AKA: Michelle Lester
FRC #5484 (Career Academy Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
beurwonderwall is a splendid one to beholdbeurwonderwall is a splendid one to beholdbeurwonderwall is a splendid one to beholdbeurwonderwall is a splendid one to beholdbeurwonderwall is a splendid one to beholdbeurwonderwall is a splendid one to beholdbeurwonderwall is a splendid one to behold

Although no one has mentioned either of these schools yet, if anyone has any questions about Saint Mary's College or the University of Notre Dame, let me know!

There's tons of opportunities to stay plugged into FIRST here in South Bend and wonderful education opportunities here as well. (Other than SMC and ND, Holy Cross College, Bethel, IUSB... etc etc) Also, not to ruffle any feathers, but we're 7-0 right now so, if you needed another reason to apply...

Just kidding, but if you have any questions about South Bend/IndianaFIRST/ND/SMC, let me know!
---1 Blue Banner (IN St Joseph Champion 2017), 5 Awards, and 3 Years and COUNTING!
Head Coach of FTC Team 12014 (The Fire Wires) (2016-????)
---3 Event Wins (NorWestIn 2017, Bash on the Wabash 2017, and Indy South 2018), 1 Time State Finalist, 1 Event Finalist (NorWestIn 2018), 1 Rookie Sensation Award, and 3 Years and COUNTING!

Starting the robot revolution at Saint Mary's College and The University of Notre Dame. Go Belles and go Irish!
  #67   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2018, 12:30 PM
Trying to survive college
AKA: Josh Witt
FRC #3966 (L&N STEMpunks)

Rookie Year: 2012
guniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Fay View Post
Try theater majors 😉
Or journalism!

President (2017 - Present) - FIRST Alumni at UT Knoxville

Previously Student (2012 - 2015) & Mentor (2015 - 2018) - FRC Team 3966, L&N STEMpunks
  #68   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2018, 12:37 PM
AKA: Clayton
FRC #0100 (The WildHats)
Team Role: CAD

ClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud of

Here's my final list:
Rice
Carnegie Mellon
UC Berkeley
UC LA
UC San Diego
USC
Vanderbilt
UT Austin
California Polytechnic SLO
Stanford
I'm planning on getting involved in the robotics program at whatever school I go to, so which major I enter depends on the school. At Carnegie Mellon, for instance, I'm applying to computer science because that gets me closest to the interesting robotics classes, but I'm doing either electrical or mechanical engineering at Berkeley.
  #69   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2018, 01:08 PM
AKA: Molly Page
FRC #1747 (Harrison Boiler Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2012
qatarina13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ball State is really my dream university because it's close to home and it's affordable. I plan on going there to major in architecture and minor in business and Spanish.
  #70   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2018, 07:47 PM
FRC #2485 (W.A.R. Lords)

Liam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by guniv View Post
Or journalism!
Theater and journalism... chairman's majors?

#71   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2018, 08:27 AM
#BringHomeTheBlue
AKA: Jon
FRC #3309 (Friarbots)

itsjustjon has a reputation beyond reputeitsjustjon has a reputation beyond reputeitsjustjon has a reputation beyond reputeitsjustjon has a reputation beyond reputeitsjustjon has a reputation beyond reputeitsjustjon has a reputation beyond reputeitsjustjon has a reputation beyond reputeitsjustjon has a reputation beyond reputeitsjustjon has a reputation beyond reputeitsjustjon has a reputation beyond reputeitsjustjon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Fay View Post
Theater and journalism... chairman's majors?
I'm proud to say I have verbally committed to the Haas School of Business at UC, Berkeley to pursue a major in Chairman's with a minor in Engineering Inspiration. Go Bears!

2019 Destination: Deep Space: Beach Blitz, LA Regional

2018 Power Up: Beach Blitz Winners, Newton Quarter-finalists, AV Regional Winners, OC Regional Chairman's Award Winners

2017 Steamworks: Chezy Champs Finalists, Hopper Quarter-finalists, OC Regional Winners, OC Regional Dean's List Finalist, AZ North Regional Chairman's Award Winner

2016 Stronghold: Beach Blitz Winners, Newton Quarter-finalists, OC Regional Winners, LA Regional Dean's List Finalist, LA Regional Chairman's Award Winners

2015 Recycle Rush: Curie Quarter-finalists, AZ West Regional Winners
  #72   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2018, 08:40 AM
AKA: Logan T.
FRC #6911 (SO BOTZ)

Rookie Year: 2017
darth_tabor is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh boy here it goes....

- Yale Early Action
- McGill
- UToronto
- Northwestern
- Wake Forest
- Boston University
- SUNY Bing
- Maybe Brown?
- Maybe SUNY Oneonta?

It's a bit long, but I'm still on the fence about a couple schools.

I'm going for math major but I'm trying to decide whether I should go for Math Ed instead.
  #73   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2018, 09:22 AM
FRC #0135 (Penn Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Nathan_Doshi is a splendid one to beholdNathan_Doshi is a splendid one to beholdNathan_Doshi is a splendid one to beholdNathan_Doshi is a splendid one to beholdNathan_Doshi is a splendid one to beholdNathan_Doshi is a splendid one to behold

Here's my list:
United States Naval Academy
United States Military Academy
United States Air Force Academy
University of Missouri S&T
Texas A&M
Purdue
Notre Dame
  #74   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2018, 09:51 AM
FRC #4004

LJP73 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm applying to one of the most underrated schools around, Michigan Tech. Great school, in state tuition, and some pretty darn good FIRST scholarships separate of FIRST's own.
  #75   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2018, 03:46 PM
FRC #2485 (W.A.R. Lords)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustjon View Post
I'm proud to say I have verbally committed to the Haas School of Business at UC, Berkeley to pursue a major in Chairman's with a minor in Engineering Inspiration. Go Bears!
Wow, not even minoring in safety. Did you learn nothing Jon?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: