OCCRA
Go to Post FIRST MANTRA: When Lawyer-ism fails, Gracious Professionalism Prevails! - sanddrag [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2010, 08:49 PM
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra IV; NERD #18
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
artdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [BB]: FIRST Choice

Very interesting development, and depending on the details this could be really beneficial to teams and the program.
  • Problem: Some teams use 25-pitch roller chain almost exclusively, and never really use the 35-pitch parts from the KoP. Solution: Given FIRST Choice, teams can select which type they actually need.
  • Problem: The color of pneumatic tubing in the KoP every year always makes a small fraction of teams happy, but annoys the others. Solution: Given several different colors in FIRST Choice, teams can pick the color that best matches their team colors.
  • Problem: Some teams always use some X parts from the KoP but never use Y parts. Solution: Given less parts in KoP and FIRST Choice, teams can select which parts they actually need.
  • Problem: As FRC grows, finding companies to donate a part to every team is getting harder and harder. Solution: Given FIRST Choice, a company can donate several hundred widgets to the teams that really want/need such a part.
  • Donating a specific tool to every team can be a waste, as some teams might already have that tool. Solution: Given FIRST Choice, a company can donate a bunch of tools (such as hand tools, power tools, etc) and teams that really need said part can choose it.
Here's how I'm hoping it works:

Each team gets $X amount of money in donated FIRST Choice goods per round. First round opens up after kickoff, lasts a week. Second round opens up after that, lasts another week. Then the third round opens up with all limits removed. Limits on the first two rounds give all teams an equal chance, and elimination of caps on third round will ensure that any remaining FIRST Choice goods get claimed by teams who really want/need it.

Spoiler for Cue a Steve Jobs' "One More Thing" Keynote slide:
Bag of Crap. Make it happen.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Standing on their shoulders
FRC #0832
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aren_Hill View Post
The way I read it there will be a separate section of the site for typical KOP items, Not AM items for free.
There was a forum at Championships where they discussed the KoP in detail, and this was one of the possible ideas they discussed. This is NOT "Free AndyMark Stuff", it is free KoP stuff, and the logistics of fulfillment are being managed by AndyMark. So get those dreams of free supershifters out of your head.

The following is educated and informed speculation:

The driving force was the question "What should FIRST do when they get a donation of 500 of something?" The can't put one in every KoP, they don't want to turn away the donation... so the FIRST Choice system described was born. At the CMP forum, FIRST's main concern was how to fulfill orders, and I see that (once again!) AndyMark has stepped up to the plate.

To get an idea of what kinds of stuff will be offered, think Brass Bag, Igus, Festo, AM Kitbot Frame, Circuit Breakers, Limit Switches, Terminals, Terminal Blocks, FASTON connectors, wire, and so on.

Expect that the KoP will contain the main items (motors, batteries, power panel, etc.) as before, but the stuff that only a percentage of the teams use might not.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Mentor / Bayou & CMP Division LRI
FRC #0456 (Siege Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2004
ChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rotolo View Post
To get an idea of what kinds of stuff will be offered, think Brass Bag, Igus, Festo, AM Kitbot Frame, Circuit Breakers, Limit Switches, Terminals, Terminal Blocks, FASTON connectors, wire, and so on.
So this begs the question: What's actually left that NEEDS to be shipped to veteran teams in the KoP tub(s)?

Start with last years KoP list. Subtract the stuff that has already been released that will only be in the rookie kit. Then subtract all the stuff from the KoP that wasn't used by the vast majority of teams (lots of the pneumatic components, Igus stuff, lead screw & nut, fans, latex tubing, etc.) or that most verteran teams have plenty of (circuit breakers, pneumatic tubing, wire terminals, wire, Spikes, zip-ties, etc). Now subtract the AM kit chassis, ToughBoxes, wheels, etc. that aren't used by a significant number of the veteran teams who build their own custom chassis, gearboxes, and/or wheels.

What's actually left that needs to be distributed to veteran teams at kickoff in the traditional plastic tubs? A battery, the 120A main breaker, a couple of jags, the CIM motors, maybe some of the other motors but even many of those aren't used by the majority of teams. Is there anything that REALLY needs to be shipped to veteran teams that couldn't be "purchased" from the "AM FIRST Choice Store" using some sort of a-la-cart FIRST cash voucher system? How much of the stuff in the plastic tubs do the majority of veteran teams actually NEED that is MANDATORY on the robot and that they don't probably already have in their shop?

It seems to me that there has always been a lot of stuff given to FIRST teams that has gone to waste. This seems like a good start at reducing some of that waste if it is implemented correctly. There are a lot of veteran teams with huge stockpiles of stuff leftover from previous years that is still the same as the stuff we get in the KoP every year. I'm pretty sure we have about 100 brand new 30A circuit breakers and 35 brand new Spikes in one of the parts drawers in the shop. I would love it if we don't get those in our KoP this year but could snag something we need and don't have from the FIRST Choice store instead. Even better would be if we find there is nothing in the FIRST Choice store that we need and then we could apply our "store credit" towards our registration fee.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepWater View Post
So this begs the question: What's actually left that NEEDS to be shipped to veteran teams in the KoP tub(s)?

Start with last years KoP list. Subtract the stuff that has already been released that will only be in the rookie kit. Then subtract all the stuff from the KoP that wasn't used by the vast majority of teams (lots of the pneumatic components, Igus stuff, lead screw & nut, fans, latex tubing, etc.) or that most verteran teams have plenty of (circuit breakers, pneumatic tubing, wire terminals, wire, Spikes, zip-ties, etc). Now subtract the AM kit chassis, ToughBoxes, wheels, etc. that aren't used by a significant number of the veteran teams who build their own custom chassis, gearboxes, and/or wheels.

What's actually left that needs to be distributed to veteran teams at kickoff in the traditional plastic tubs? A battery, the 120A main breaker, a couple of jags, the CIM motors, maybe some of the other motors but even many of those aren't used by the majority of teams. Is there anything that REALLY needs to be shipped to veteran teams that couldn't be "purchased" from the "AM FIRST Choice Store" using some sort of a-la-cart FIRST cash voucher system? How much of the stuff in the plastic tubs do the majority of veteran teams actually NEED that is MANDATORY on the robot and that they don't probably already have in their shop?

It seems to me that there has always been a lot of stuff given to FIRST teams that has gone to waste. This seems like a good start at reducing some of that waste if it is implemented correctly. There are a lot of veteran teams with huge stockpiles of stuff leftover from previous years that is still the same as the stuff we get in the KoP every year. I'm pretty sure we have about 100 brand new 30A circuit breakers and 35 brand new Spikes in one of the parts drawers in the shop. I would love it if we don't get those in our KoP this year but could snag something we need and don't have from the FIRST Choice store instead. Even better would be if we find there is nothing in the FIRST Choice store that we need and then we could apply our "store credit" towards our registration fee.
Even with the option to choose the "Second half" of your kit; stripping down the kit to that level would be a horrible choice.

My team certainly doesn't have that amount of spare parts.

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.
Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2010, 11:11 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post
Even with the option to choose the "Second half" of your kit; stripping down the kit to that level would be a horrible choice.

My team certainly doesn't have that amount of spare parts.
Agreed. We also give a lot of the stuff we don't use away to other teams who actually can use it.

I would be very upset if we did not get the kitbot, among other things. We may never use a toughbox on our robot, but all the gears and bearings get used.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2010, 01:20 AM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Agreed. We also give a lot of the stuff we don't use away to other teams who actually can use it.

I would be very upset if we did not get the kitbot, among other things. We may never use a toughbox on our robot, but all the gears and bearings get used.
We use that stuff all the time for prototyping and testing as well.

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.
Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We use that stuff all the time for prototyping and testing as well.
Ditto.

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Professor of Thinkology, ThD
AKA: @taylorstem
FRC #3487 (Red Pride Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm way off base here, but I'm envisioning a larger-scale version of exactly what Bimba does.

On a side note, I'm willing to wager more teams use the kitbot chassis, trannies, and motors than one may realize. Even if they're not used during the build season.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

You all are brilliant people. I will try to answer some questions, but please realize that I am restricted to what all I can say, since FIRST is working (with us) on a communication plan. I am glad to say that this program will be clearly defined within a few weeks, well before kickoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Anderson View Post
The "first-come, first-serve" nature strongly implies to me that FIRST Choice is not for typical off-the-shelf components. It seems likely that this is how FIRST has decided to handle donations of items that aren't of sufficient quantity to put one in every kit.
Alan, once again, proves to be a very smart man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth3tk View Post
My guess is a limited fixed number of items. Probably more fair that way.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aren_Hill View Post
The way I read it there will be a separate section of the site for typical KOP items, Not AM items for free.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlapp View Post
The text from the post suggests to me that FIRST Choice applies to KOP items only.
Yep.

Quote:
I love the concept, I have a bad feeling that the teams that need this most will end up not knowing it exists or not doing it though.

Oh well, the world is run by those who show up.
This is a good point, Adam. (gosh, you guys are brilliant!) It's really up to us (the teams, AndyMark, FIRST) to help communicate this out to the FIRST community. So, tell your neighbor teams and the teams you mentor about this neat program. Like I said, the communication from FIRST and AM is coming soon. (it's going to be in our upcoming newsletter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artdutra04 View Post
Very interesting development, and depending on the details this could be really beneficial to teams and the program.

<snipped> (Art explains many good ideas and issues, as usual)
Art the IV has good points here, and all concerns are very valid. We have thought of a BOC, and it would be fun, but I am not sure if this is the best way to do this fairly. It is more likely that we (AndyMark) may incorporate this outside of FIRST Choice for some of our old parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rotolo View Post
There was a forum at Championships where they discussed the KoP in detail, and this was one of the possible ideas they discussed. This is NOT "Free AndyMark Stuff", it is free KoP stuff, and the logistics of fulfillment are being managed by AndyMark. So get those dreams of free supershifters out of your head.

The following is educated and informed speculation:

<snipped>

Expect that the KoP will contain the main items (motors, batteries, power panel, etc.) as before, but the stuff that only a percentage of the teams use might not.
Don is right on. Maybe one day, we can provide free Super Shifters to the masses, but unless one of us hits the lottery*, this won't happen soon. I still have a mortgage to pay, employees to keep happy, and three daughters to put through college. You all have been very supportive of AndyMark, and we appreciate it. We try to price things as fairly as we can, while still trying to prove that capitalism still works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Maybe I'm way off base here, but I'm envisioning a larger-scale version of exactly what Bimba does.

On a side note, I'm willing to wager more teams use the kitbot chassis, trannies, and motors than one may realize. Even if they're not used during the build season.
Mike is smart too.

I think that you all deserve a cookie for figuring this out as well as you did.

Thank you for the discussion. Please continue.

Sincerely,
Andy Baker

* - if I played the lottery, which I don't. Isn't that just a tax for people who aren't very good at math?

Last edited by Andy Baker : 11-17-2010 at 10:47 AM.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Professor of Thinkology, ThD
AKA: @taylorstem
FRC #3487 (Red Pride Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker View Post
Mike is smart too.

I think that you all deserve a cookie for figuring this out as well as you did.

Aw, mine has a bite taken out of it.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

As information is released and communication continues, more official answers will be posted on the FIRST Forums. We will be posting in both websites (CD and FIRST Forums), with more official stuff over on the FIRST Forums.

Going back to Adam's point above, I think it is important to get this information out in various ways. However, since AndyMark is the official supplier of this service, the official answers will be located on the FIRST Forums site.

Sincerely,
Andy Baker
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Blue Shirt
FRC #0237

Rookie Year: 2003
JohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baker View Post

(it's going to be in our upcoming newsletter)
Newsletter? Good for you.

For those that want to sign up. it's on the index page of andymark.com
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2010, 05:44 AM
AKA: Matthew Forman
FRC #0190 (Team 190)

Rookie Year: 2008
mcf747 has much to be proud ofmcf747 has much to be proud ofmcf747 has much to be proud ofmcf747 has much to be proud ofmcf747 has much to be proud ofmcf747 has much to be proud ofmcf747 has much to be proud ofmcf747 has much to be proud of

Maybe I am jumping the gun, but it is 12/13/2010 and I do not see it live yet?

Maybe it will go live at "start of business" (8am ?)

.....Bills Blog.......
12.13.10: FIRST Choice site opens for viewing only.
.....Bills Blog......

I will check back later,
Matthew
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Because we're FiNE
AKA: David Givens
FRC #1071 (Team MAX)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
dag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond repute

Your not the only one. Since I got up I've been checking the site at 5:30 and still nothing. I kinda wish Bill gave us a launch time. Oh well! I've got Study Hall 2nd period to go check.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Coach
FRC #1086 (Blue Cheese)

Rookie Year: 2007
wilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag0620 View Post
Your not the only one. Since I got up I've been checking the site at 5:30 and still nothing. I kinda wish Bill gave us a launch time. Oh well! I've got Study Hall 2nd period to go check.

They probably will launch it without fanfare. I will keep thousands of energetic FIRST'ers from trying to bring their servers down ;-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: