OCCRA
Go to Post FIRST needs a disclaimer that parts of the field can become flying projectiles under hurricane force winds. - Barry Bonzack [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #91   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:05 PM
UAH Class of 2019
FRC #3397 (Robolions)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
Walter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond reputeWalter Deitzler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "i.am.FIRST -- Science is Rock and Roll" airs August 14th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleeyedan View Post
I was al ittle dissapointed that it showed so much of the concert instead of actually following the teams. Still great that FIRST got some more publicity.
I think that since this was the first real big publicity that FIRST had, they had to put it in a format to get non-FIRST people interested, and the concert footage is one of the most effective ways to do this.

(Hanging out with my buddies at 610)
Robotics, it's not just a club, it's a career.
FLL Referee (2012-Present)

2014 Gateway Robotics Challenge winners (With 2481 and 1985)
2011 St. Louis Regional Winners (With 1985 and 3284)
2010 Highest Rookie Seed
I am the guy in the golden hat, say "Hi!" to me at WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!
  #92   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Taking a few years (mostly) off
AKA: Josepher
no team (Formerly 1687, 5400)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
Joe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joe G.

Overall, I thought it was very good. A bit much of the concert for my tastes, but then, die-hard FIRSTers aren't exactly the intended audience. This special will get people talking, and it'll get them curious. It'll get a lot of people into teams that might not have joined or formed them otherwise. And from there, it's our job to corrupt them all

My only real complaint was that we never saw any single shot of match play that lasted more than about 10 seconds. The emphasis wasn't really placed on the sport itself, and the excitement of the game. Showing people who have never seen an FRC match in their lives the excitement of an Einstein level match would have been good.

Still, I see this providing a big boost to FIRST next year! Thank you Will.i.am and all your guests, and we hope to see you next year!

2007-2010: Student, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2012-2014: Technical Mentor, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2015-2016: Lead Mentor, FRC 5400, Team WARP
2017: Technical Mentor, FRC 1100, The T-Hawks
2018: Other projects/maybe some mentor-for-hire work around NE

Last edited by Joe G. : 08-14-2011 at 07:14 PM.
  #93   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Steve
FRC #4930 (Electric Mayhem)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2009
stundt1 will become famous soon enoughstundt1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
I'm disappointed that this program was found to be 'unwatchable' by some of my closest friends from varying demographics.

I hope the next time Will.I.Am and FIRST partner it's less about Music and more about Robots.
There was way to much music in it.
Did anyone else feel like it was way too short they didnt mention fll at all either.
  #94   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Because we're FiNE
AKA: David Givens
FRC #1071 (Team MAX)

dag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond repute

I was very, very, happy with how this turned out.

Thanks to will.i.am for putting this together. This did a great job showing others what FIRST is and about, and in general what needs to happen in this country.

Plus....

Our Team's Mascot got in a couple of shots - I was jumping up and down in pure excitement when I saw Agua on TV.

Lastly to Brittany Spears: I think she clearly gets FIRST very well
  #95   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:08 PM
AKA: John Christiansen
FRC #1732

Rookie Year: 2006
XaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XaulZan11

I think the TV special was great for promoting FIRST, Will.i.am and science/technology, but I was a little disappointed with how the show was put together. My biggest complaint is that it was just a bunch of segments and songs for an hour with no real structure or progression. I think they should have had the stories/songs in between Einstein matches (or at least highlights) to give some structure and so there would be some finale to the show (ending with a Black Eyed Peas song as the finale was disappointing). Especially if they want to do this again in future years, as Will.I.am wants, they should watch the FIRST in Michigan show and copy that format.

Along those lines, I'm disappointed that they had no music on Einstein just so they could film the introduction that really could be filmed anywhere or voice overed.

Again, overall I think this is a huge success, but I think it could have been better if they had more footage of actual matches. They do get huge bonus points in my book for using NFL Films music, though.
  #96   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Crimpin' ain't easy
no team (Looking for a team)
Team Role: College Student

Kusha is a jewel in the roughKusha is a jewel in the roughKusha is a jewel in the roughKusha is a jewel in the rough

WAY too much music in it, I wish it was more robotics based than music. But then again, like others said I'm a FIRST junkie, this wasn't intended for me.
  #97   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:13 PM
AKA: Ed Barker
FRC #1311 (Kell Robotics)

ebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond reputeebarker has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was just great....
  #98   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:17 PM
AKA: Luke
FRC #4027 (4-H Fatal Error)

Rookie Year: 2007
skywalker341 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefro526 View Post
I'm disappointed that this program was found to be 'unwatchable' by some of my closest friends from varying demographics.

I hope the next time Will.I.Am and FIRST partner it's less about Music and more about Robots.

word.
  #99   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:18 PM
Strategical Tactitian
AKA: Garrick
no team (SparX)

GCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud of

I loved it. Im glad that FIRST is finally getting more of the recognition it deserves. I think the show was a great way to spread the message, and that we should all be happy that FIRST got an hour long commercial endorsed by media celebrities (even if not all of them completely understand).

Check us out at:
http://www.gosparx.org
http://www.facebook.com/SparX1126
I Love Two Pencil Designs!
  #100   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:21 PM
on a break
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see the program, so I will refrain from commenting on it, but a friend who I told to watch the program called me after the show. "I really wish they showed us more of the robots. Those looked really cool. I didn't care about all the celebrities and music."

Take that for what it is. I'm going to assume that most of Chief Delphi was not this program's target audience, though, and thus I probably won't be reading any of this thread.
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #101   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

For what it was intended for it did a great job.For those who are complaining about the music and the celebs do realize they are intended to lure the public in. Once in the special was more about Who We are and WHAT we do. They only had less that an hour to do it and for what they had to work with they did a bang up job. My biggest complaint in what's up with the West Coast bias? They couldn't find one East Cost team to talk to?
  #102   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Impossible to rain on my parade.
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)

Rookie Year: 2003
Barry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond reputeBarry Bonzack has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Barry Bonzack

If you have a single negative thought towards this special it is because you are not the target audience for it. FIRST is Awesome, if you are posting on ChiefDelphi.com, that means you already know this. The goal is to reach out to people who think completely differently, even backwards from us, and show them why FIRST matters.

If Will uses the word "dope", doesn't wear a larger FIRST logo, takes up half of the St. Louis arena, if there was not enough seating in the pits, if the music was killed during finals, it was all justified tonight. We received a huge gift this evening, and all things considered, sacrificed very little for one year.

My brother watched the special with me, and afterward he put it like this. "If two kids from every school who would otherwise have been uninterested in technology watched this special tonight and was inspired to learn more, then the world just changed because of it."

Chair of Florida FIRST Alumni
Orlando Regional Planning Committee
FIRST Tech Challenge Florida Leadership Team

Program Planner on the Orion Spacecraft at the Kennedy Space Center

Twitter: @FL_FIRST_Alumni

Events I'm Emceeing/Game Announcing:
1/10/2015 FTC Jacksonville League Championship
1/11/2015 FTC Central FL Tesla League Championship
1/17/2015 FTC South Florida League Championship
1/24/2015 FTC Tampa/St. Pete League Championship
2/7/2015 FLL Orlando Regional
2/14/2015 FTC State Championship
2/26-2/28/15 FRC South Florida Regional
3/8/2015 FLL State Championship
3/12-3/14/15 FRC Orlando Regional
4/22-4/25/15 FIRST World Championship Event - FTC Franklin Field
  #103   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:26 PM
needlessly agitating
AKA: "very active discussion within our community"
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2009
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to complain about an hour of primetime TV for FIRST. Too bad there couldn't have been a lot more FIRST :/.

In my dreams, ABC saw the weekend and would consider broadcasting the Einstein field and a few other matches next year. If they did it live, throw in some pre-produced bits.

Seriously, FIRST would love the exposure. Strongmen Competitions and WSOP could take a break for an afternoon of FIRST on ESPN.

I am not an engineer or educator by trade, but I love this sport. If you are interested in mentoring the best students in FIRST and willing to put up with me, please contact me via PM.
  #104   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:26 PM
FRC #1806 (S.W.A.T. Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2008
zachmartin1806 has a spectacular aura aboutzachmartin1806 has a spectacular aura aboutzachmartin1806 has a spectacular aura about

I think they should have put at least one match in there, but not an Einstein match. The necessary strategy in order to win wasn't as entertaining as some of the finals on Archimedes, Galileo, Curie, and Newton.

2013 - Greater Kansas City: Regional Winners (1986, 2457), Judges Award; Oklahoma City: Regional Winners (1986, 2389)
2012 - Oklahoma City: Innovation in Control Award
2011-10,000 Lakes: Dean's List Finalist , Coopratition Award
2010 - St. Louis: Regional Finalists (1098, 1329)
2009 - Greater Kansas City: Regional Winners (1208, 931), General Motors Industrial Design Award; St. Louis Regional: General Motors Industrial Design Award
2008 - Greater Kansas City: Regional Winners (476, 1802), Johnson & Johnson Gracious Professionalism Award; Oklahoma: Regional Winners (2165, 2354), Motorola Quality Award
  #105   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Team Mom and NEM
FRC #0768 (TechnoWarriors); VEX #768)

Rookie Year: 2002
Robyn Needel is a splendid one to beholdRobyn Needel is a splendid one to beholdRobyn Needel is a splendid one to beholdRobyn Needel is a splendid one to beholdRobyn Needel is a splendid one to beholdRobyn Needel is a splendid one to beholdRobyn Needel is a splendid one to beholdRobyn Needel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Robyn Needel

I want to thank will.i.am for delivering on his promise to make FIRST Loud! He obviously put out money and effort and hopefully it will make it easier and more fun for all of us in the FIRST community to get more people involved.
FRC Team 768 TechnoWarriors 2002-2011: Chesapeake Sportsmanship 2006, Chesapeake EI 2007, FLR GM Industrial Design 2008, Chesapeake Chairman's Award 2008, Championship Judge's Award 2008, Chesapeake Regional Champions 2009, Chesapeake Judge's Award 2010, Chesapeake & DC Regional Champs 2011
VEX Teams 2866 and 5143 since 2011
VEX Team 768 TechnoWarriors 2007-2010

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: