Go to Post A chop saw may cut aluminum, a knife can also be used to eat ice cream. - fox46 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 07:13 AM
AKA: Solomon
FRC #2898 (Flying Hedgehogs)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
solomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant futuresolomondg has a brilliant future
Team 2898 Interpretive Jazz Code Release

As I'm sure is the case with many teams, we've been developing some — as freshman put it — "hella lit" code. However, we've been faced with a conundrum: how do we not only help inspire others with our code but also convey its hella litness? In order to do so, we had to be inspired ourselves.

We were struggling with how to post our code. Not how to upload to Chief Delphi or anything — even if none of us here in Oregon has any idea how to use a gas station, it's not hard to tie a thumb drive to a pidgeon. Instead, we were struggling with how to convey the code. How to convey its emotions, its true feeling and abstract shape.

However, when I saw Marshall's brilliant postulations as to the validity of interpretive dance with respect to R14 (for the unenlightened, see this thread), I was inspired to turn to alternative sources for my conveyal of our existing codebase. Team 900's consistantly innovative approaches won over once again, when they decided to do a purely oral code release. I decided to embrace this innovative new medium of audio based code releases.

As the top ranked jazz pianist in the country, assuming "the country" refers to the Principality of Sealand and the royal family is out for vacation, I knew what I had to do. I spent a week formulating the perfect improvisational composition to losslessly convey not only our code's literal content but also its emotional weight, how one is supposed to feel when the code is being ran, not just what one is supposed to do with it.

For those of you who aren't currently a tenured professor Cambridge University in the Jazz-Code Interactions department, I would recommend turning on subtitles so that you can best understand the true brilliance of this piece.

Without further ado, here is an improvisational Jazz-Neo-Glam-Funk-Core cover of our autonomous localization code: https://youtu.be/ypo_BnDAZpg

I plan to spend the next twenty six hours producing and releasing the rest of the musical impressions of our codebase in an album I like to call "The Shape of Code to Come." Of course, it's far superior to the 1959 Ornette Coleman album with a similar name. He actually copied me, believe it or not.

I trust that this release fulfills the terms and conditions required by R14. After all, some basic sets of core competencies are required of FIRST students, such as literacy, locomotion, and deep understandings of avant-garde jazz history.

I hope that our breakthrough in code conveyal technology, inspired by the precedential trailblazing of Team 900, will inspire other teams to follow suit.

Last edited by solomondg : 01-05-2018 at 07:17 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 07:53 AM
Discerning and exacting individual
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team 2898 Interpretive Jazz Code Release

I feel so inspired.
Clarke's Laws
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 08:02 AM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Truly amazing. Might be better than Herbie Hancock.

['18-'xx]: Lead Mentor FRC 5686
['17-'17]: Mentor FRC 2170
['16-'16]: Floating Mentor FRC 228
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP (OG)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 08:15 AM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

Rookie Year: 2015
gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

Many guffaws were had.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 09:42 AM
AKA: Ryan Blue
FRC #1018 (Pike RoboDevils)
Team Role: Programmer

firecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to behold

Marshall, what've you started?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Cynicism isn't wisdom
FRC #2363
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1999
Nate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond repute

Now this is putting the Arts in STEAM!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 10:00 AM
Roboter
AKA: Mark Lavrentyev
FRC #4557 (FullMetal Falcons)

Hitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond repute

I would not be surprised if we get a blog post from Frank in the following days clarifying R14.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 10:08 AM
AKA: Ryan Blue
FRC #1018 (Pike RoboDevils)

firecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to beholdfirecrafty is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker 42 View Post
I would not be surprised if we get a blog post from Frank in the following days clarifying R14.
But how can he clarify a rule that we could not be sure existed for this season?
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 10:21 AM
Roboter
AKA: Mark Lavrentyev
FRC #4557 (FullMetal Falcons)

Hitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecrafty View Post
But how can he clarify a rule that we could not be sure existed for this season?
At the very least, I'm sure the GDC is modifying that rule right now to clarify it. Which means we all have to redownload the encrypted game manual now...

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Former Design and CAD Captain 1086
AKA: Alexander Kaplan
FRC #0401 (Copperhead Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2004
Electronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious, how does this actually fulfill even past R14? 900's post did detail the code enough that it was "complete information sufficient to produce the design." Are you confident that if you asked your own team to produce the design only given this video that they could do it?

900 also has a public github so most of their code is available anyway.

It is interesting that your team considers jazz as your source files, but to each their own I guess.

1086-2010-2013 student, 2013-2016 mentor
401-2017 mentor, 2018- remote advice giver

Participating in Virginia Tech's AM Grand Challenge as part of team Kragle (we have been selected to be 1 of 10 teams to compete in the final round).
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 10:36 AM
Cynicism isn't wisdom
FRC #2363

Nate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronica1 View Post
Just curious, how does this actually fulfill even past R14? 900's post did detail the code enough that it was "complete information sufficient to produce the design." Are you confident that if you asked your own team to produce the design only given this video that they could do it?
Wow Alex, how did you learn the text of the 2018 rule?
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Discerning and exacting individual
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Laverdure View Post
Mods, quick, close this thread! It contains a leak!
Clarke's Laws
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 10:43 AM
Former Design and CAD Captain 1086
AKA: Alexander Kaplan

Electronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just curious, do you stock up on tires for bumpers? I get this is a silly rule, but this thread doesn't actually satisfy anything other than being silly. At least 900's one followed last years version of the rules.

1086-2010-2013 student, 2013-2016 mentor
401-2017 mentor, 2018- remote advice giver

Participating in Virginia Tech's AM Grand Challenge as part of team Kragle (we have been selected to be 1 of 10 teams to compete in the final round).
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 10:57 AM
🤔 Really makes you think...
AKA: Preston

pchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond reputepchild has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow Nate, how did 2363 learn the text of the 2018 rule?

Maybe you're just basing on release rules being essentially the same for every game after 2012?
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2018, 11:01 AM
Cynicism isn't wisdom
FRC #2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchild View Post
What can I say? We're pretty smart.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: