Go to Post I highly doubt the game has anything to do with water... - rotolomi [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#76   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 12:45 PM
FRC #5994

Azelf482 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Power-Up Discussion

What if an Alliance activates Force with 2 or 3 cubes when the scale is deactivated, would they still gain ownership points from the scale?

Section 4.3: Power Ups, Table 4-2

"ALLIANCE earns OWNERSHIP points from the SCALE regardless of PLATE position"
  #77   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 12:46 PM
Developing tomorrow's best people
AKA: Alex Tannahill
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
ATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanStro View Post
Is the platform considered part of the scale? When climbing you must be "fully supported by the scale" (Table 4-1) But in figure 3-4 the platform is shown as a part of the scale. Does this mean you can be fully supported by the platform?(hint climbing w/o grabbing on to anything)

Thanks.
Section 3.3 lists platforms as part of the scale.

I base my answers off of the game manual, Q&A responses and field tour videos at the time of my post. Rules will probably be modified or clarified between this post and your competition. My post means nothing to event officials. Please keep up with team manual updates and the FRC Q&A.
  #78   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 12:47 PM
no team

ATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azelf482 View Post
What if an Alliance activates Force with 2 or 3 cubes when the scale is deactivated, would they still gain ownership points from the scale?

Section 4.3: Power Ups, Table 4-2

"ALLIANCE earns OWNERSHIP points from the SCALE regardless of PLATE position"
Can you clarify what you mean by the scale being deactivated? I do not understand or recall that in the manual and I could not find it by looking for the word "deactivated".

I base my answers off of the game manual, Q&A responses and field tour videos at the time of my post. Rules will probably be modified or clarified between this post and your competition. My post means nothing to event officials. Please keep up with team manual updates and the FRC Q&A.
  #79   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 01:00 PM
FRC #5994

Azelf482 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATannahill View Post
Can you clarify what you mean by the scale being deactivated? I do not understand or recall that in the manual and I could not find it by looking for the word "deactivated".
By deactivated, I meant when the scale is balanced and no alliance has ownership of the scale.
  #80   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 01:11 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azelf482 View Post
By deactivated, I meant when the scale is balanced and no alliance has ownership of the scale.
Yes, as I interpret Section 4.2 on page 37, you would have ownership of a balanced switch if you use the FORCE POWER UP with 2 or 3 blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST POWER UP Manual Page 37 as of Kickoff
An ALLIANCE has OWNERSHIP of the SCALE when:
A. the SCALE is tilted in favor of their ALLIANCE colored PLATE, such that the outside edge of the ALLIANCE’S colored PLATE is at or lower than 4 ft. 8 in. (~142 cm) from the floor, or
B. they have played the FORCE POWER UP at level 2 or 3 (see Section 4.3 POWER UPS)

#81   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 02:06 PM
FRC #2423 (KwarQs)
Team Role: Alumni

AmoryG has much to be proud ofAmoryG has much to be proud ofAmoryG has much to be proud ofAmoryG has much to be proud ofAmoryG has much to be proud ofAmoryG has much to be proud ofAmoryG has much to be proud ofAmoryG has much to be proud of

Quote:
Yes, as I interpret Section 4.2 on page 37, you would have ownership of a balanced switch if you use the FORCE POWER UP with 2 or 3 blocks.
So if the scale is tilted in favor of the red alliance and the blue alliance is playing their force power up, do both alliances have ownership of the scale and gain points, or does the blue alliance deny red points for 10 seconds?

2008 Boston Regional Rookie Allstars

http://whsrobot.blogspot.com/
  #82   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 02:09 PM
FRC #2423 (KwarQs)

AmoryG has much to be proud ofAmoryG has much to be proud ofAmoryG has much to be proud ofAmoryG has much to be proud ofAmoryG has much to be proud ofAmoryG has much to be proud ofAmoryG has much to be proud ofAmoryG has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR0405 View Post
This is definitely a recycling of Recycle Rush
FIFY

#83   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 02:14 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoryG View Post
So if the scale is tilted in favor of the red alliance and the blue alliance is playing their force power up, do both alliances have ownership of the scale and gain points, or does the blue alliance deny red points for 10 seconds?
I interpret it as red being denied the points because only one alliance can own the scale at a time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORST POWER UP Manual Section 3.3.1 page 19 as of Kickoff
During the MATCH, the SCALE is in one of three (3) states based on the magnitude of its tilt:
1. OWNERSHIP by the Red ALLIANCE, or
2. OWNERSHIP by the Blue ALLIANCE, or
3. neither ALLIANCE has OWNERSHIP

#84   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 02:34 PM
no team

ksharma is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding the FORCE Power-up, does anybody know if it affects both your SWITCH AND the opposing alliance's SWITCH?

Thanks!
  #85   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 02:39 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksharma View Post
Regarding the FORCE Power-up, does anybody know if it affects both your SWITCH AND the opposing alliance's SWITCH?

Thanks!
No, I am judging that based off the singularity of the word "the".

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST POWER UP Manual Section 4.3 Page 39 as of Kickoff
ALLIANCE earns OWNERSHIP points from the SWITCH and the SCALE regardless of PLATE position

#86   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 02:45 PM
AKA: Reese
FRC #1746
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2014
GeneralMit is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you grab a power cube that is partially in another team's platform zone? The two power cubes on the edges
  #87   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 02:53 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMit View Post
Can you grab a power cube that is partially in another team's platform zone? The two power cubes on the edges
I do not see a rule against it. I only see G18 but that is exclusively in the ENDGAME.

#88   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 03:26 PM
FRC #2423 (KwarQs)

Quote:
I interpret it as red being denied the points because only one alliance can own the scale at a time.
I thought so too, but I feel like these parts of the manual made the rule confusing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST POWER UP Manual Page 37 as of Kickoff
A. the SCALE is tilted in favor of their ALLIANCE colored PLATE, such that the outside edge of the ALLIANCE’S colored PLATE is at or lower than 4 ft. 8 in. (~142 cm) from the floor, or
B. they have played the FORCE POWER UP at level 2 or 3 (see Section 4.3 POWER UPS)
If getting the force power up denied the other alliance points I felt like the language of the second part to be more like:
A. the SCALE is tilted in favor of their ALLIANCE colored PLATE, such that the outside edge of the ALLIANCE’S colored PLATE is at or lower than 4 ft. 8 in. (~142 cm) from the floor AND the other alliance has not played the FORCE POWER UP at level 2 or 3, or
And this rule from the section on power ups:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST POWER UP Manual Page 39 as of Kickoff
FORCE
ALLIANCE earns OWNERSHIP points from their
SWITCH regardless of PLATE position
Does earning ownership points mean they have ownership?

#89   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 03:39 PM
AKA: Andrew Weissman
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Drewit is a splendid one to beholdDrewit is a splendid one to beholdDrewit is a splendid one to beholdDrewit is a splendid one to beholdDrewit is a splendid one to beholdDrewit is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctt956 View Post
Some of my reactions:

1. Dozer's back!
2. Chute door...sort of. More like a chute ram, I guess.
3. There's no retroreflective tape for vision tracking, though vision tracking doesn't seem all that practical this year except for maybe a 2-cube auto.
4. The ownership is interesting, and a nice change.
5. This game is well-designed. Challenging, but not too difficult for lower-resource teams.
3. This appears to be incorrect. Section 3.9 outlines the location of the vision targets on each SWITCH.
4&5. Agreed. This is a unique and potentially exciting game! I'm looking forward to seeing the teams play this game.

Something that stood out to me (and that I'm expecting many penalties from in the early weeks of competition) is G16, i.e. "The NULL TERRITORY is safe." The wording on this seems to make the null territory the loading zone/secret passage this year in terms of penalties. With the randomness of the lights, teams may find themselves quickly accruing Tech Fouls if they aren't aware of whose side they're on.
FRC 1640 Mentor [2013 - 2017] (Lead CAD Mentor 2015-2017)
FRC 1640 Student [2010 - 2012] (Human Player 2010 & 2011, Driver & Co-captain 2012)
  #90   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2018, 04:11 PM
Coach/Faculty Advisor
AKA: Greg King
FRC #1014 (Dublin Robotics aka "Bad Robots")
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1999
mathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakxii View Post
Would be annoying to get on the platform and there is no protection at the portal stations.
I don't think mecanum robots would have any significant difficulty getting on the platform. In 2012 there were a lot of mecanum robots (our included) that were able to negotiate the ramps with not too much difficulty, so this platform should be no big deal. Getting pushed out of portal stations could be an issue, but as with most drive train decisions, I think it will come down much more to how well a team executes their design and drives their robot that the actual choice of drive trains.
Chairman's Award: 2005 Pittsburgh, 2009 Buckeye, 2012 Queen City
Team Spirit Award: 2007 Buckeye, 2015 Queen City
Woodie Flowers Award: 2009 Buckeye
Dean's List Finalists: Phil Aufdencamp (2010), Lindsey Fox (2011), Kyle Torrico (2011), Alix Bernier (2013), Deepthi Thumuluri (2015)
Gracious Professionalism Award: 2013 Buckeye
Innovation in Controls Award: 2015 Pittsburgh

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: