Go to Post "Find a problem? Think of the three I's: Invent and Innovate to Improve!" - yash101 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum > FIRST E-Mail Blast Archive
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #2040 (DERT)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur
Re: Token of Appreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag View Post
This member of our community was acting to protect the safety of many other members of our community. While what he did may not be right, it was with good intentions, and for the greater good really. Anyone could take the information from that site, call up these mentors, and say "Hi, I'm calling from FIRST, and it appears that there was an error in processing your Championship registration payment. I need to verify your credit card information or you will be dropped from the event." or any number of other spoofs to sieze the identity of the innocent. He acted in the name of safety, and for that, we shall not punish him.
There's an old saying: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

Doing wrong, even while intending to do good, is wrong. The proper thing to have done was to report the possible phishing to the proper people (in this case the webmaster of the site, FIRST, and possibly the FBI {as federal laws may be being broken}).

Vigilanteeism (and thats what this is) is never acceptable, and should not be condoned by any community, especially one that proports itself as being GP.

It is my hope that Astronouth7303 and the rest of the CD community have learned from this experiance that it is better to work within the system than to take it upon oneself to go outside the laws.
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2007, 12:01 PM
On to my 18th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

I've thought about this, and I do have to agree. The creation of the site to recognize the mentors seemed like a rushed effort. The takedown of the site was also a rushed effort. Neither was done properly. Both sides did some wrong here, and everyone has learned something, and I think we can move on. Can I get a thread close?
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2007, 03:06 PM
volunteer helper
FRC #0047 (ChiefDelphi)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1997
meaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond reputemeaubry has a reputation beyond repute

All,
I'll try to make this short and sweet, please bear with me though.

Stating the obvious - Mistakes were made.
Anyone reading this, Please - LEARN from these mistakes.

After studying the time line of the posts, it's obvious that Astronouth react very rapidly to the thread initiation, in an attempt to protect - but the approach taken was done in a way that we would ever condone.

His action was executed, prior to confirmation by trusted CD mentors, KathieK and RoboMOM and later by our team leader Mike Martus.

I will be closing this thread, but before I do that I will be deleting the detailed methodology that Astronouth used to accomplish what was done. I do not want anyone reading this and turning around and using it elsewhere. We do not need or want to be associated with such activity.

Thanks for listening, if you want to discuss my actions contact me via message - or look me up in Atlanta.

Mike Aubry
Lead Engineer
Chief Delphi - Team 47

Last edited by meaubry : 04-11-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: