OCCRA
Go to Post Meanwhile, it's water over the dam, spilled milk, etc. Let's drop the subject and get on with life. I am seeing people warming up their lawyerism, which is not a good thing when we are coming up on build season. - EricH [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2017, 11:33 PM
FRC #3061 (Huskie Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2011
Adam_P is a jewel in the roughAdam_P is a jewel in the roughAdam_P is a jewel in the rough
Skills Checklist

Hey all,

So our team has been compiling a list of the skills that we have and need to be passed on and I was hoping that all of you here at CD could check it out and make some suggestions/comments/edits in this thread or on the doc to improve it.

Heres the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Note: The MXP category is team specific and pertains to our own custom designed HuskieBoard. More info at http://team3061.org/mxp/

Thanks,
Adam
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 12:00 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Skills Checklist

In respect to building a robot, it's fairly complete (or maybe overboard: You guys have to convert your STL to G-code? That's what the printer's own software is for, sort of thing). Maybe a little wonky in organization (fabrication/assembly are two branches of the same tree, suggestion would be Hand Tools and Machines instead) but overall pretty good.

But I think you're missing a couple areas entirely. Here's a sample to get you started along those lines of thinking.

General Team Skills
--use of team communication platforms
--understanding of where and how FIRST HQ passes stuff to teams
--knowledge of how to access team protected stuff (password or padlock, either one)

Business/Outreach skills
--How to contact all current sponsors
--What potential sponsors have been contacted in the last couple of years
--Current outreach programs and plans for future ones
--Keeping the team budget...

That sort of thing is, dare I say it, more important than the mechanical skills to pass on. If a mechanical skill isn't passed on, the team simply can't use that particular tool until skill is reacquired. If, say, the team protected stuff access isn't passed on, EVERYTHING in that area (possibly including the list of stuff to pass on) is blocked from use. And in some cases, that could sink the team. At best it's a minor inconvenience while someone contacts an alumnus for the passwords. At worst, you can't contact your current sponsors and can't fund competition...

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 12:09 AM
Mentor
FRC #4607 (C.I.S.)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2012
Chief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond reputeChief Hedgehog has a reputation beyond repute

A little touch on your spreadsheet layout - try to use the colors in the pastel range; the solid colors are a bit hard to read.

Other than that, see EricH's suggestions. Looks like a great start and this may help 4607 to train in our newbies - so thanks for this!

Go Minnesota in 2018!

"Innovation cannot happen in isolation"
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 01:15 AM
Alumni
FRC #0250 (Dynamos)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2014
BrendanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
In respect to building a robot, it's fairly complete (or maybe overboard: You guys have to convert your STL to G-code? That's what the printer's own software is for, sort of thing).
What? Converting an STL to Gcode is one of the fundamental requirements for 3D printing. Some printers come with software that removes the user interaction with this process but this only happens on some very expensive machines designed for people who don't know how to use them.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 01:45 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanM View Post
What? Converting an STL to Gcode is one of the fundamental requirements for 3D printing. Some printers come with software that removes the user interaction with this process but this only happens on some very expensive machines designed for people who don't know how to use them.
I work with printers that are under $2,000 USD, and they have software for this process. Other printers, even cheaper, have their software as well. Granted it runs on a computer, but going from model(s) to Gcode is as simple as placing the models in and pressing the proper buttons. This software is included with the printer, and/or made available on the manufacturer's website where anybody (including yourself) can download it. And there isn't an option to view the Gcode.

Those aren't "very expensive" machines--I'd consider Airwolf to be "very expensive" at $3K+, or more likely the midsize Stratasys machines--and yet they have the software.

Most people who use a 3D printer these days wouldn't even know what Gcode was unless they were already familiar with it
. They'd just know that they placed the model, adjusted a couple of settings, and hit "print". For normal fabrication, that's literally all you need (though it does help to know a few tricks for orienting the parts you're printing to make it easier to remove support material). For someone with a home-built/hobbyist/tinkering system, yeah you might need Gcode knowledge. Vast majority of people using 3D printers don't land in that category anymore, and don't see any code. (Matter of fact, when I was working on a printer in that category, I only used the Gcode viewer a couple of times--needed to find a particular command and see what was happening around it as I recall.)

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 06:37 AM
That Guy
AKA: Phil
FRC #0103 (Cybersonics)

Rookie Year: 2007
Cyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanM View Post
I don't know which machines you are using, but most low-mid tier printers I have used have either built in g-code converters or a program you install on the computer that does all of the work for you. I believe there are even a few open source options for generating g-code, but I am sure a lot of those are machine dependent.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 07:02 AM
no bag, vex only, final destination
AKA: Pinecone
no team (Looking For A New Team); formerly FRC #228 & 2170)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Quote:
I work with printers that are under $2,000 USD, and they have software for this process. Other printers, even cheaper, have their software as well. Granted it runs on a computer, but going from model(s) to Gcode is as simple as placing the models in and pressing the proper buttons. This software is included with the printer, and/or made available on the manufacturer's website where anybody (including yourself) can download it. And there isn't an option to view the Gcode.

Those aren't "very expensive" machines--I'd consider Airwolf to be "very expensive" at $3K+, or more likely the midsize Stratasys machines--and yet they have the software.

Most people who use a 3D printer these days wouldn't even know what Gcode was unless they were already familiar with it
. They'd just know that they placed the model, adjusted a couple of settings, and hit "print". For normal fabrication, that's literally all you need (though it does help to know a few tricks for orienting the parts you're printing to make it easier to remove support material). For someone with a home-built/hobbyist/tinkering system, yeah you might need Gcode knowledge. Vast majority of people using 3D printers don't land in that category anymore, and don't see any code. (Matter of fact, when I was working on a printer in that category, I only used the Gcode viewer a couple of times--needed to find a particular command and see what was happening around it as I recall.)
I think you're splitting hairs here. You have to run STLs through slicing software to use it on basically any modern 3D printer. There are to my knowledge no 3D printers which just accept STL files directly and figure the rest out on the machine. Using a slicer properly and configuring the settings to match the requirements of the part is indeed a skill and needs to be taught in order for it to work properly. No, the students aren't literally hand-writing G-Code to do this, but it's not unreasonable to call this process "Converting STLs to G-Code".
2016 Waterbury SFs (with 3314, 3719), 2016 Rhode Island #2 Seed / Winners (with 1058, 6153), 2016 Carver QFs (with 503, 359, 4607)
Consultant Person: 2170 (2017) - Waterbury Judge's Award, Hartford Creativity Award
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2015 TVR Quality, 2015 FLR Industrial Design,
2014 FLR Quality / SFs (with 341, 4930), 2013 BAE Quality, 2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182),
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), 2012 CT Xerox Creativity / SFs (with 2168, 118)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 10:14 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
I think you're splitting hairs here. You have to run STLs through slicing software to use it on basically any modern 3D printer. There are to my knowledge no 3D printers which just accept STL files directly and figure the rest out on the machine. Using a slicer properly and configuring the settings to match the requirements of the part is indeed a skill and needs to be taught in order for it to work properly. No, the students aren't literally hand-writing G-Code to do this, but it's not unreasonable to call this process "Converting STLs to G-Code".
It's not unreasonable, no, to be technically accurate.

But it's not what people see. They see "model in, press go". There's got to be a better way to put that on the document: maybe "set up build" or something like that. See phil's comment for more on where I'm going on that.

If you were to apply the same thing to a CNC machine, would you call it "generate toolpath" or "generate G-Code"? (Both are correct, but I suspect that most operators would use "toolpath" as their primary lingo unless they were discussing the code itself.)

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 11:34 AM
no bag, vex only, final destination
AKA: Pinecone
no team (Looking For A New Team); formerly FRC #228 & 2170)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Quote:
It's not unreasonable, no, to be technically accurate.

But it's not what people see. They see "model in, press go". There's got to be a better way to put that on the document: maybe "set up build" or something like that. See phil's comment for more on where I'm going on that.

If you were to apply the same thing to a CNC machine, would you call it "generate toolpath" or "generate G-Code"? (Both are correct, but I suspect that most operators would use "toolpath" as their primary lingo unless they were discussing the code itself.)
You were just arguing that this wasn't a skill that was necessary to teach kids because it was easy and most printers have software to do it. I was responding to that argument, by saying it's a skill. Now this is apparently a discussion about how the terminology is a problem, and you're arguing it does take skill. I'm a little lost, and I'm not really sure what to respond to.

As for the CNC thing, I have heard both used interchangeably throughout my time in robotics and industry, but more the latter than the former.
2016 Waterbury SFs (with 3314, 3719), 2016 Rhode Island #2 Seed / Winners (with 1058, 6153), 2016 Carver QFs (with 503, 359, 4607)
Consultant Person: 2170 (2017) - Waterbury Judge's Award, Hartford Creativity Award
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2015 TVR Quality, 2015 FLR Industrial Design,
2014 FLR Quality / SFs (with 341, 4930), 2013 BAE Quality, 2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182),
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), 2012 CT Xerox Creativity / SFs (with 2168, 118)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 01:04 PM
Drive it like you stole it
AKA: Julia Cecchetti
FRC #0291 (CIA: Creativity in Action)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2015
Classified* is a splendid one to beholdClassified* is a splendid one to beholdClassified* is a splendid one to beholdClassified* is a splendid one to beholdClassified* is a splendid one to beholdClassified* is a splendid one to beholdClassified* is a splendid one to behold

Great list! I might steal some of it for my own team.

One thing I might add under Programming skills is tuning feedback controllers like PID.

2017 NEOFRA MVRC Winner with 2399 and 2252
2017 Steel City Showdown Winner with 2614 and 3260
2017 WOW Championship Finalist with 4145, 3138, and 3511
2016 Rachacha Ruckus Finalist with 5406 and 639
2015 Rachacha Ruckus Finalist with 1126 and 5406
2015 NEOFRA MVRC Finalist with 48 and 379
2015 Buckeye Regional Finalist with 48 and 5413
Team291.com
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2017, 10:11 PM
FRC #3061 (Huskie Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2011
Adam_P is a jewel in the roughAdam_P is a jewel in the roughAdam_P is a jewel in the rough

Thank you all for the great advice. Regarding the STL -> GCode conversions I believe that was more just putting an STL into a Slicer and then auto generating the gcode for the printers use. Sorry for the confusion.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: