Go to Post [You know you've overdoes on FIRST when...] You're willing to take an 8 AM for the team. - ttldomination [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Robots are friends
AKA: tagger fanatic
FRC #1345 (Platinum Dragons); FRC# 97 (RoboRuminants)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
nehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nehalita Send a message via MSN to nehalita Send a message via Yahoo to nehalita
Excellent Article about Engineering

My dad found this article in the Miami Herald (www.herald.com) today, I think it speaks for itself:

"TECHNOLOGY

U.S. needs more engineering students

BY RONALD BARR

rbarr@mail.utexas.edu

This fall, more than 2.5 million young Americans are entering college for the first time. These freshmen will find themselves confronted with an array of new choices. But their most important decision will be what to study. If past years are any indication, the majority will flock to majors like business, psychology and liberal arts. I am here to argue for engineering.

This diverse, dynamic field has some 1.3 million current practitioners in the United States. We must produce engineers in larger numbers to meet our security needs and maintain our competitive edge. Engineers are vital both to protecting this nation's key infrastructures from attack and to keeping our economy strong. The information revolution encircles us on a daily basis with instant access to almost any place on Earth. The world has shrunk, and China, India and others are becoming increasingly important technology players. As these countries strengthen their economic, industrial and technological clout, America must strive not just to keep up, but to excel.

America's future

Engineers are a driving force in a strong economy. Without a vibrant engineering community, America's productivity, essential to economic growth, would suffer. America's engineers are the most innovative in the world. Their ability to invent and create is what has set the United States apart. Without an innovative engineering workforce America's future is less secure.

In 1999, the most recent year that figures are available, China graduated almost 200,000 engineers -- 44 percent of the undergraduate degrees -- according to the National Science Foundation. China has plans to eventually graduate a million engineers each year.

In contrast, U.S. engineering schools churned out 73,000 engineers last year, totaling less than 5 percent of all bachelor's degrees awarded. Our graduate schools are filled with foreign nationals who last year earned 58 percent of the engineering Ph.D.s awarded in the United States. This country relies heavily on these grads to fill our technological needs, but more and more U.S.-trained engineers are returning home after graduation.

Why is America lagging? We must do a better job at the primary and secondary grades, which are crucial in terms of developing future engineers. Our students rarely come out on top in global comparisons, particularly in science and math, fields not considered attractive by many young people today. It's vital to get students excited about these subjects early on.

Part of the problem lies outside the classroom. Many Americans have no idea what engineers do. Lawyers and doctors are usually depicted favorably in the media, but there are no television shows that feature engineers. If engineers are written into the script, it's often to play the part of a nerd.

Efforts are under way to improve the perception of engineering among K-12 students. Many engineering colleges have initiated programs that send engineering professors into elementary, middle and high schools to introduce students to the field. The American Society for Engineering Education has just published the second edition of Engineering, Go For It!, a magazine aimed at high school students. Almost 600,000 copies of the publication have been distributed since 2003.

Engineers in Congress

More needs to be done. Women and minorities are still underrepresented in engineering. A recent Gallup poll reflects engineering's low profile. When a national sample of adults was asked what kind of career they would recommend to young women, medicine was the top choice. A scant 3 percent suggested engineering.

America needs engineers in emerging fields such as the financial sector, homeland security, health systems and the entertainment industry -- and in Congress. All nine members of the central committee of the Communist Party of China are engineers by profession. In this country, only a handful of members of Congress and a few in top administrative posts have engineering degrees. Important scientific decisions are made all the time by people who don't fully understand their technical merit.

America is facing global competition from countries whose political leaders understand the importance of engineering education in improving a nation's productivity and standard of living."
*~*~*~*
KathieK made me aware of this: Technically, I can't legally re-post something like that on the Web without getting permission

So, I spoke to the author of the article and I got permission to use it. This is copyrighted by American Society for Engineering Education (www.asee.org).

Proud Member of H.I.L.
The PLATINUM DRAGONS are on FIRE!

Last edited by nehalita : 08-12-2005 at 02:31 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2005, 05:45 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari
Re: Excellent Article about Engineering

Very nice article. Thanks for sharing it with us.

"Why is America lagging?" ... just like the article pointed out, America is lagging to get the word out there to the students, reason why we have less engineers. But from my personal view... lot of organizations (FIRST, BB, BEST, FLL, VEX) is getting the students involved into engineering. There will be a time when America will be graduating 200,000 students.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Electrical Engineer
AKA: Phil Baltar
FRC #1351
Team Role: College Student

sciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to sciguy125 Send a message via MSN to sciguy125 Send a message via Yahoo to sciguy125

I think it's more of a cultural issue than an education problem. I think that most people, whether they know it or not, will have decided their major long before entering college. Your going to graduate with a major in something you're interested in. If you don't like what you're doing, you would have changed your major long before graduating. A few people in my programming class changed their majors because they found out that they don't like programming (one of them decided this in the middle of a midterm, leaving half way through to change his major). People that like math will go into something more math oriented (math, science, engineering...). People that are more artistic probably won't even consider those majors.

While this may sound like it could be fixed by changing the educational system, I think it's more than that. Americans want to be rich. You don't get rich with an engineering degree. You'd be better off with business or medicine or even law. Most engineers work toward the middle of the corporate food chain with little room for advancement. The business folk, however, have the opportunity to work their way up all the way to the top. Few will make it, but they'll have a better chance up there. The same goes for doctors. It's not uncommon for higher level doctors to make over 150k. Higher level lawyers could easily double that. Most engineers will top out at 100k. When's the last time you even heard of an engineer making over 150k? I'm not talking about those that have some new revolutionary idea, just those that are good at their jobs.

I've lived in Silicon Valley my entire life, so my view of the world has been biased toward science and technology (and the associated economic values that come with giant companies). So maybe people outside of my little corner of the world have different views.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GE/S/P a-- e y-- r-- s:++ d+ h! X+++
t++ C+ P+ L++ E W++ w M-- V? PS+ PE+
5- R-- tv+ b+ DI+++ D- G
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Robots are friends

nehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nehalita Send a message via MSN to nehalita Send a message via Yahoo to nehalita

I read an article yesterday in my engineering class that of the salaries of the top 8 professions with only a bachelor's degree, 7 of them were engineering. As an engineer with only a bachelor's degree, he or she only endures 4 years of college and may get a salary as high as 60k.

Doctors, on the other hand, have to go to school until they are 30. Although they earn a lot of money afterward, they need to establish themselves and work hard toward this. If an engineer were to match this effort, they would have a PhD and more! All my relatives that have PhDs in engineering (and have not done anything revolutionary) earn more than 150k - thus, this is not unheard of. Revolutionary ideas are not needed, just hard work - which all professions demand.

Moreover, lawyers also have to establish themselves and work hard. Engineers can earn much more initially and build themselves up as well. If they do this, the possibilities are endless. An engineer could double in business or start their own company -- the options are endless.

Yes, if a person limits themself, they also limit their salary but there are no barriers that literally hold a person back. I cannot say this from experience but it seems that it's a "fair game" in all professions, the odds are not what limits a person, it's the effort.

Finally, I do believe that by introducing engineering at the elementary stage along with the standard "lawyer, doctor, businessman", the statistics could change. You never know.

Proud Member of H.I.L.

Last edited by nehalita : 08-11-2005 at 08:38 PM. Reason: errors
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Gone to school, back in 2016
FRC #0269 (Cooney Robotics); FLL #1855 (Cooney Tech/St. Jerome)
Team Role: Alumni

dubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome article Neha!

The points you brought up about education time vs. payscale are quite valid. My oldest sister is a chemical engineer and my oldest brother is a lawyer and I have seen firsthand how the payscale works between the two of them. My sister thought that she was rolling in dough when she got her first job down in Florida at $40k per year (after 4 years at Notre Dame). My brother, on the other hand, just began a job (after 5 years of UW-Madison and 3 of Marquette law school) in London making nearly twice as much. The extra four years paid off handsomely in his case.

With both my other brother and I looking towards medicine, my parents have made it crystal clear to us that we must be in it for the long haul. My father was lucky enough to have been able to start his own practice almost 28 years ago, though it was after many years of college, medical school, residency (all of which he finished nearly one year ahead of schedule), and time in the Army.

Besides, whatever happened to career day in grade schools? We weren't allowed to have doctors and lawyers, but then again, we never got engineers either!?!?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Pragmatic Strategy, I try...
AKA: Joeseph Smith
FRC #0066

JoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JoeXIII'007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciguy125
I think it's more of a cultural issue than an education problem... Americans want to be rich.
Agreed, 110%. Just think about it, on the news we hear more about recalls, lawsuits, and other bad news (including the chem plant explosion recently in Romulus, MI) more than we hear of innovation and the other important things to consider. At the same time, we also hear about the most trivial, including but not limited to the marriage and break up of the popular, steroid use in sports, etc. Most of it is on the mass media: TV and radio where people, especially trial lawyers, with big mouths speak to the masses. Therefore many are given a subliminal message that trying to reach popularity, wealth (bling-bling), self-righteousness, or absolute beauty is good, when we know there's better. Plus, many of the popular or art oriented don't give a darn about who granted them the freedom to get from point A to B in short time, speak to the masses by just sitting or standing in a certain spot, etc. Thus, in the end, they will find out why they shouldn't had taken for granted what they had and who created those things.

Great article! And just remember, it's an engineer's world. Without us, everyone is powerless, literally.

2 cents by Joe
General Purpose Programmer - Cooperative Institute for Limnology and Ecosystems Research (CILER) at NOAA-GLERL
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2005, 10:41 PM
AKA: Grandma
FRC #0121 (Rhodewarriors)
Team Role: Operator

Rookie Year: 2003
Bridgette is a jewel in the roughBridgette is a jewel in the roughBridgette is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Bridgette

Thanks for the article, Neha. I've been having some trouble deciding what I want to study in college, and this article has helped me see what I already knew: engineering does not limit one's career. I really like politics, and even if I decide to study engineering, I can apply my knowledge to making this country better.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Electrical Engineer
AKA: Phil Baltar
FRC #1351
Team Role: College Student

sciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to sciguy125 Send a message via MSN to sciguy125 Send a message via Yahoo to sciguy125

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeXIII'007
Great article! And just remember, it's an engineer's world. Without us, everyone is powerless, literally.
I'm sure that you meant that in jest, but I'd like to comment on it anyway because I think it's relevant to the discussion.

You have to realize that the profession(s) you chose to hold in high regard depend on your priorities. Each has good and bad points.

Doctors help the sick. They ease suffering. But, of course, they are making humanity weaker. Every time someone is saved and has a kid, they are passing on their weak genes.

Engineers develop the technology to make our world work. Pollution seems to be becoming a serious problem. We have also developed a dependence on technology such that we can no longer function without it. Think of what would happen if the internet suddenly stopped working tomorrow.

Lawyers keep order. They ensure that only the guilty are punished. But what does that say about our legal system if we need lawyers to defend us? And why do they charge so much?

The garbage collectors keep our homes and cities clean. If they don't do their job, we'd be up to our knees in rubbish. But wouldn't their time be better spent trying to figure out how to produce less garbage in the first place? If we didn't have them, we'd be forced to do so.

Each group would also find a way to function without the others. Engineers could develop the technology to replace doctors and eliminate garbage. The legal system would be so efficent that lawyers aren't needed. Doctors would make due with basic tools, relying on their heads instead. With everybody happily healthy, there'd be no need for a complex legal system.

The original claim is that we need to produce more engineers in order to keep up with our global neighbors. But with some sort of global economy looming (take the Euro for instance), our energy might be better spent specializing. I think that all the countries in the world will inevitably join together rather than work as individual cells. If everybody was doing everything, we'd get nowhere.

Let's take the US in it's current state as an example. Silicon Valley specializes in electronics. The high-tech industry lives here. Many midwest states have a lot of farming. Texas has a lot of oil. If you don't know how to vote, you live in Florida. With the high-tech industry centralized, everyone knows where to go if they want to do something relating to it. It also makes it easier for companies to communicate with each other. And, by doing only one thing, you can dedicate all your energy to doing it well. If all the Flordians started dispursing themselves, we'd have hanging chads all over the country. Our electoral system would fall appart. We'd still be trying to figure out if Gore won.

Just because China seems to have specialized in engineering doesn't mean that we have to also. At the moment, we seem to have become the world's police force.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GE/S/P a-- e y-- r-- s:++ d+ h! X+++
t++ C+ P+ L++ E W++ w M-- V? PS+ PE+
5- R-- tv+ b+ DI+++ D- G
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2005, 10:42 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
tiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tiffany34990

My calc class discussed this issue a bit last year but not just about kids going into engineering here in the US. But more and more in other countries go for their doctorate. That's why they seem to be doing better than us on some levels. Most of our parents just finished with a BA and didn't go on with their masters or doctorate. It is just the way our country is set up sets up how we are living and wanting to live. Like previous people have said, doctors and lawyers have always been like the kids choice to grow up and be. Now reality sets in and questions us if we can do that or not. I know many people that wanted to be doctors or lawyers but they won't go into that field. I personally wanted to become a doctor since I was younger but my mind has changed. Engineering does allow you to have many opportunities it depends on where you want go in life. I'm headed toward medical research now but I may take a spin and use my artist talents and engineering information and do something with that. But unlike most artists, engineering isn't the field you consider. Graphic designs, animation and that sort of stuff most head in first. But we have to be glad where we live. In many countries you test out when you are younger for your future. Thank goodness we have the ability to make up our minds and choose a path that we feel we are comfortable in taking. America may never be number one when it comes to education but just remember be glad to live here. As my HS math teacher always reminded us every day "Someone in another country will exchange places with you in a heartbeat."

So everyone good luck in the journey of your life. Everyone has a purpose in life. Find your calling and I think America succeeds with giving us all opportunities. And of course thanks to programs like FIRST for giving us this such great opportunity, without it many of us wouldn't have considered science, math or technology fields.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.

Quote:
At the same time, we also hear about the most trivial, including but not limited to the marriage and break up of the popular, steroid use in sports, etc.
Ummm... Of all the things to say that is trivial steroid use has to be the one that is farthest from any list I can think of. It's the tip of a major problem of people that think that they can get away with taking these drugs for any performance enhancement. The scariest of which is people taking Ritalin just to get through college.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Robots are friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Y.
Ummm... Of all the things to say that is trivial steroid use has to be the one that is farthest from any list I can think of. It's the tip of a major problem of people that think that they can get away with taking these drugs for any performance enhancement. The scariest of which is people taking Ritalin just to get through college.
Of course, but the problem is most of the reports we hear about this are from the "stars." In fact, a lot of the news we end up hearing about is about the "stars." Perhaps the media should cover issues like these should be addressed on a more holistic level.

Proud Member of H.I.L.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Pragmatic Strategy, I try...
AKA: Joeseph Smith
FRC #0066

JoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JoeXIII'007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Y.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalita
Of course, but the problem is most of the reports we hear about this are from the "stars." In fact, a lot of the news we end up hearing about is about the "stars." Perhaps the media should cover issues like these should be addressed on a more holistic level.
That's precisely my point. The media should get it down to a local level, maybe even down to the guy next door who has actually committed an unproffessional, unreasonable act. In other words, down to a point where the people would really care. Too many times the media tries to fetch millions of viewer's/listener's attention using a popular icon of any sort as an attention getter. If it works, they're lucky, for those that pay attention usually only have interests related to the person in question.

Another 2 cents from Joe.
General Purpose Programmer - Cooperative Institute for Limnology and Ecosystems Research (CILER) at NOAA-GLERL
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2005, 06:48 PM
Robots are friends

I found another article in the Herald today (yes again!). I have spoken to the author and he has allowed me to post it:

"Leaders should promote study of engineering
--by Andres Oppenheimer
One of the reasons Asia has become the factory of the world is that, while Asian universities are producing record numbers of engineers, their counterparts in much of the rest of the world -- including the United States -- are graduating lawyers, accountants and psychologists.

Before I tell you my grand theory about why Asians are more geared toward engineering, let's look at the figures.

The U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF) says that, in sheer volume, China is the world's leading producer of engineers: It graduates around 220,000 a year. By comparison, the United States graduates about 60,000 a year, South Korea 57,000, Mexico 24,000, Brazil 18,000, Colombia 11,000, Chile 4,000 and Argentina 3,000.

HOW THEY RANK

A separate report by the Engineering Trends consulting firm shows that, measured on a per-capita basis, South Korea produces the most engineers annually, followed by Taiwan and Japan. By comparison, Colombia ranks 19th, Chile 23rd, Mexico 24th, the United States 25th, China 30th, Brazil 35th and Argentina 37th.

Regardless how we count it -- and there is some skepticism about some of the data, since not all countries have the same standards for giving out engineering degrees -- there is no dispute that Asian countries are far ahead in the game.

'Falling behind is dangerous, because it affects countries' manufacturing capabilities,'' says Engineering Trends founder Richard Heckel. ``Manufacturing is an ever-changing scene. If you don't innovate, you don't compete.''

Development experts say that, if a country wants to be a manufacturing powerhouse, it needs people who can produce existing goods in more efficient ways, and people who can constantly come up with new products. This means they need engineers on both sides of the production cycle.

BY THE NUMBERS

In the United States, the number of college engineering students is stagnant: It's higher than it was in 1980, when it stood at about 58,000, but lower than it was at its 1986 peak, when it reached 77,000, according to NSF estimates.

In Latin America, the National Autonomous University of Mexico, UNAM, produces about 620 psychology graduates a year, but only 40 graduates in petroleum engineering, according to its statistical yearbook. Argentina's education minister, Daniel Filmus, told me with horror in an interview earlier this year that, upon taking his job, he discovered that his country graduated only three textile engineers a year. Argentina has sinced created private sector-supported scholarships for engineering studies.

''We are trying to steer students toward sciences and engineering,'' Filmus said. ``Now, all of the education ministry's scholarships go to needy students who want to study hard sciences or engineering.''

WHAT'S THE SECRET?

What are Asian countries doing to get so many young people to study engineering? In addition to having a market demand for engineers and in many cases a culture that venerates scientists and engineers nearly as much as rock stars, there is a top-to-bottom government encouragement, experts say.

''In many Asian countries, the highest levels of government talk about how important science and engineering are to achieve economic growth,'' says Alan Leshner, head of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. ``Here, the scientific community has often to convince policy makers that science is critical to economic growth.''

After talking with Leshner, it dawned on me that whereas China's President Hu Jintao has a degree in hydraulics engineering, in this part of the world we have almost everything but engineers in office.

The United States has a president who got a B.A. degree in history, and a master's in business administration. In Latin America, most presidents are lawyers (Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Guatemala), economists (Honduras, Peru, Panama), business administrators (Mexico), clinical physicians (Costa Rica, Ecuador), psychiatrists (Costa Rica), sports commentators (El Salvador) or army officers (Venezuela).

ONE BAD APPLE

Even though there are exceptions to the rule -- Venezuela's president Hugo Chávez graduated from military school with an engineering degree and he has been a disastrous ruler -- perhaps it's time to elect engineers as presidents. Or, even better, we should press the lawyers, economists, psychiatrists and others who are in power now to use their positions to steer more young people into science and engineering."

Proud Member of H.I.L.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: