Go to Post work hard, think hard, and have fun doing it. - ebarker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2005, 09:51 PM
FRC #1511
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Ashley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond repute
Society on the Future

Tonight Kim and I were discussing some things. And here are some of my opinions and the things I got out of it.

Something I notice [and I am sure others notice] is that many young people look for people to lead them which is what you are supposed to do when you are young, but its more like they use it as a way to be... lazy. They rely too much on others. They dont take initiative and they lack confidence. I have noticed on robotics teams that many times students dont try to step up, because they have the mentors to lead them. And when said student does step up -- the other students do not always listen because they dont have authority. Where is the respect for your peers?

I feel that kids today are exposed to too much, and struggle to make decisions on their own. They always seem to need someone to tell them what to do. There are so many choices you can make that are right or wrong. I think television and videogames are not so great for society. I know 8 year olds who dance like Britney Spears or Missy Elliot and swear like Eminem. But then again, are their parents trying to help them make the right choices when they are young?

Another subject that was brought up is how people always have to find something to put the blame on. If something happens or goes wrong "it wasnt my fault." If they fail a class -- its the teachers fault. It just seems to me that you make the choice to do or not to do your work -- making it your fault. Sometimes it seems to be a team effort to me though -- a teacher/student work balance.

Another area was how kids arent getting the right direction. Today schools are more worried about a childs self esteem than whether or not they understand the material. They are not holding kids back because it could hurt their self-esteem. This doesnt teach them anything for later in life. As Kim brought up.... What are they going to do when they get into college? In college they arent going to care about your self-esteem. They are going to go by the choices you make. Whether you decided to go to class and do your work, and take initiative and get things done.

One way in which I would like to relate this to FIRST is that [I know there are many student leaders] But I really think more students should be able to step up and take initiative in FIRST and strive to get things done.

But basically I do not agree with the way society is today [never really have] so that is why I rebel [in the good way].

[Kim feel free to elaborate if you want since I know you have your opinions, I am kinda tired... and can never get things out right in words. haha]

[Also sorry for random changing of ideas, I always have so many things running around in this little head of mine!]

*Read Kims Ideas... She is the one who made me bring this up. And she has good points*

Last edited by Ashley Christine : 08-17-2005 at 10:44 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Robots are friends
AKA: tagger fanatic
FRC #1345 (Platinum Dragons); FRC# 97 (RoboRuminants)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
nehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nehalita Send a message via MSN to nehalita Send a message via Yahoo to nehalita
Re: Society on the Future

Hmm I agree with alot of what you said but I have to be fair.

Sometimes, it's not the particular attitude that's wrong, it's the technique used to correct it.

People are lazy - yes. But alot of people are also afraid to step up -- I am the type of person to shy away because "i don't know enough" and "don't want to look stupid" (foolish, I know). For the first time ever, I'm being encouraged to try anyway and I think we should see this more. If more people encourage to TRY and to SEE what it's like, maybe it could happen. I do'nt think it'll solve the problem, but it may be one less student's intellect wasted.

Also, I don't think students are struggling any more than they used to. What about the children who quit school to work and pay for their family? What about children who endured the depression. Every decade brings its own "hard" problem and the difficulty doesn't change, just the situation. I feel it's apart of the maturing process to deal with these problems. We may not always make the right decisions but it always comes back to us (I'm a strong believer of karma). I agree, however, that there are many outside influences that guide us in the wrong direction. How many times have I seen people make fun of driven, hardworking people? Too many. That's not necessary. It seems that "watching TV" is the cool thing. No, there's nothing wrong with it but, as a person who does not watch tv, there's nothing wrong in this either. Two ways, two methods, two sides that deserve respect.

And blaming. Man, I've been guilty of this so many times. This, I feel is no excuse, we DO need to step back sometimes and say "i'm wrong." But people also need to learn that it's never "one person" -- it's always a mix of fault. And chiding someone for their faults isn't necessarily the best idea. A person can deal with their own faults.

As far as direction/self-esteem goes, I have noticed how fragile the "self-esteem" is treated in schools. I don't see any clear solution to this. Some students don't care and some teachers don't try to care. Maybe in an ideal setting I would suggest the teachers to grade harsher and encourage more -- but there is no such thing.

Nice thread ashley, I got to do a whole mental splurge, those are good for me every now and then =).

Proud Member of H.I.L.
The PLATINUM DRAGONS are on FIRE!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Kims Robot's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Onto a New Chapter...
AKA: Kim O'Toole Eckhardt
no team

Rookie Year: 1996
Kims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kims Robot

Ahh yes, the ever interesting debate [and it was a great conversation ashley! ] I was mentioning that I wasnt sure how/if I wanted to post it, but since its here! This is going to be another one of those headache in august discussions!

This discussion has passed around several times, and last night I was talking with our new teacher about it. We were trying to figure out ways to really motivate the students, to get them to get up and take action. I really like our team, and they are really hard workers, but its usually when a goal is set for them (and I see this with a lot of other teams). So someone (usually a mentor) has to step up and take charge, then the troops will eagerly follow.

But of course this dissolved into the "why" is this? "Why" dont students just get up and take charge themselves? Its being handed to them, they have great ideas, brainstorming is awesome, they will do tons of work if I throw it on the calendar... so why is it that so few of them will actually take ownership of a new idea and run off with it?

We decided a lot of it had to do with the way society is today. The famous "Its not my fault I spilled hot coffee on myself, McDonalds makes it too hot!!" So we sue McDonalds... come on! Lets blame our problems on everyone but ourselves. And its getting rediculous, I know teachers who ARE NOT allowed to fail students in elementry and middle school (like ashley mentions) because it will hurt their self esteem... well what about when they get to high school and cant multiply 9*8?!? Let alone do algebra or calculus problems!

Lets help these kids learn, but show them that there are consequences. Its like the parents who flip out because their 8 year old kid played a first person shooter game on xbox... well who let them buy the game? who taught them that at that age it was ok to shoot things? When I was a kid (and this really wasnt all that long ago!!) I knew what right and wrong were... I knew that there were consequences to making the wrong choices. But there are also so many benefits to making the right choices, to standing up and taking action, to becoming a leader.

Too many parents are protecting their kids from the harms of the great big bad world these days... I say let them experience it. Let them get hurt, but be there to help them pick themselves up. The world is real, and it will be much more of a shock if they are sheltered from it.

I could have gone through college like any other kid, graduated and become an engineer... but I chose to step up and start two FIRST teams... I wanted to lead, I wanted to inspire. But in high school there were others like that, we had a whole group of us, any of whom would come up with an idea, present it and then run with it. When I was a SOPHOMORE, I was convinced that there was a magic way to win the competition... "the magic bean", none of the engineers would believe me... so I sat down and sketched it out, one of the engineers took interest... together he and I built it, with my lead. And it worked! We didnt use it on the robot... but I learned so much, I learned that with a little creative geometry, I could engineer!

So what happened to those days? The days where there were so many student leaders... where kids lead because they wanted to, not because it looked good on their transcript??

Stepping back, the reason I am still so in love with FIRST is I still see so many students involved in FIRST who are willing to lead (so FIRST students, dont think Im bashing you), but my ponderance is how to I break through to those students who have that potential, but are still feeling sheltered... how do I bring out the leader in them, or just get them to take ownership (instead of me giving it to them). And no offense to the leaders, but I kind of want to hear this answer out of those of you who arent yet leaders, or mentors/students that have experience bringing this out in others.

And perhaps I already know the answer, its in the one on one, personal interaction day to day with students, where they see us as leaders, we believe in them, and they realize their potential... but some days I wish the rest of them would just wake up and see what they are really capable of.

Ok I typed enough... who cares about sleep! lol.

*holy cow that was longer than I realized now that I see it posted... my apologies if you made it this far!!*
History - Team 176, Team 229, Team 1511, FIRST Volunteer!!
My new FIRST Photography Hobby & Angry Eric's Fan Page
Excellence - is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2005, 10:36 PM
FRC #1511

Rookie Year: 2005
Ashley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalita
People are lazy - yes. But alot of people are also afraid to step up -- I am the type of person to shy away because "i don't know enough" and "don't want to look stupid" (foolish, I know).
I know what you mean. I have been like that forever. And somehow I am breaking outa my shell and deciding to try and not worry. Everyone makes mistakes, and I shouldnt have to care what other people think about me, if its good then thanks for liking me.. and if they dont like me -- its a shame but its their choice.
Quote:
Also, I don't think students are struggling any more than they used to. What about the children who quit school to work and pay for their family? ...... Every decade brings its own "hard" problem and the difficulty doesn't change, just the situation. ....... How many times have I seen people make fun of driven, hardworking people? Too many. That's not necessary.
I know this side of the story too. I can tell you I dont have the easiest life right now, but I am still doing what I can. And I agree that hard working people are made fun of too often and it is discouraging.
Quote:
Nice thread ashley, I got to do a whole mental splurge, those are good for me every now and then =).
I know how that feels too.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Robots are friends
AKA: tagger fanatic
FRC #1345 (Platinum Dragons); FRC# 97 (RoboRuminants)
Team Role: Programmer

nehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nehalita Send a message via MSN to nehalita Send a message via Yahoo to nehalita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kims Robot
how do I bring out the leader in them, or just get them to take ownership (instead of me giving it to them)
Oooh tough one. I think it's kind of like finding the right spark to light the match. For some, it's taking them to the competition, or others its showing them something new and speficically saying "you can make this exactly what you want it, the limits are yours", for others (like me) just give us time and we'll realize the leader was inside ourselves all along, finally some people just need that "baton" -- form will follow suite. (WHY? Because some people want the responsibility, just can't ask for it).

A big motivator (i'm using myself as an example): When someone gives me a responsibility that I'm not necessarily happy about, hearing the words "I gave this to you because I think you can do it" or something along those lines really brings me around. Alot of times, the praise is implied and never verbally "said". SAY IT. When we hear it, we think, we realize and consequently, we get inspired.

Proud Member of H.I.L.
The PLATINUM DRAGONS are on FIRE!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2005, 11:18 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

First off ashley, this is a very good thread. Way to discuss and talk it out. Now I do like to remind you (as I did in aim) and others on chiefdelphi "Please don't hesitate to share what you have to say about critical topics like this, we aren't here on the forums to talk things out to make this place a better place."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Christine
I have noticed on robotics teams that many times students dont try to step up, because they have the mentors to lead them. And when said student does step up -- the other students do not always listen because they dont have authority. Where is the respect for your peers?
I have seen this too. I have noticed that students who even tries gets shot down by their peers. Thats not how it should be. Students always give up (the ones that get shot down), reason why they stop showing up to meetings.

I don't know if I should bring this topic in here but I think I should point it out. RCU has been trying so hard to get the girls involved on the robotics team and engineering. Personally I think, it takes the willingness to get to that point. Yes, guys do tend to think that the things guys can do, girls can't. At many points, guys will be proven wrong by the girls who are willing to do something. I have a great example.

I have known Tiffany Lee (180) for about a year and 8 months. I have seen that girl not care about what the guys on the team think about her and her work. She has worked so hard and I can proudly say that she is one of the better machinists than many other guys here. She got shot down probably many times, but she didn't give up. The reason she is right now is because she never backed off. Her willingness got her there.

Quote:
I feel that kids today are exposed to too much, and struggle to make decisions on their own. They always seem to need someone to tell them what to do. There are so many choices you can make that are right or wrong. I think television and videogames are not so great for society. I know 8 year olds who dance like Britney Spears or Missy Elliot and swear like Eminem. But then again, are their parents trying to help them make the right choices when they are young?
It is always one's choice about what they want to do. Yes, at times parents do make decisions, but most of the time it is yours about who you want to be. Do you think parents would want their son/daughter to dance like Britany
Spears or Missy Elliot and swear like Eminem when they are 8 years old. No I don't think so. At the same time you can't blame it on the child because he/she is only 8. The kids are being exposed to a lot of things. The parents who are strict can/do control their child at a young age so that when the child grows into a teenager they can trust him/her.

Quote:
Another subject that was brought up is how people always have to find something to put the blame on. If something happens or goes wrong "it wasnt my fault." If they fail a class -- its the teachers fault.
It is human nature. You won't be able to find a single person who can say that "I have never blamed anything on anyone." As time passes by and one who learns how teamwork works, they tend to not to blame it on one and tries to come up with the solution. I used to blame everything on others. But I am trying my hardest to work as a team and not blame anyone, rather solve it in a mature way.

Quote:
One way in which I would like to relate this to FIRST is that [I know there are many student leaders] But I really think more students should be able to step up and take initiative in FIRST and strive to get things done.
I couldn't agree wtih you more Ashley. If we could send the message to everyone saying "step up," the community would be a lot better place.

Quote:
Too many parents are protecting their kids from the harms of the great big bad world these days... I say let them experience it. Let them get hurt, but be there to help them pick themselves up. The world is real, and it will be much more of a shock if they are sheltered from it.
I do agree with you here. A student never get to experience what the real world looks like until they are a senior in high school or just getting into college, where they get all nervous and worried about how will they organize themselves.

Now going into the topic of FIRST, the reason I would like to stick with this organization is because of the mentors who tell you to be the future leaders. I love the process how a mentor passes his/her knowledge to one and expects that student will pass it onto another (I am speaking from experience). FIRST has helped a lot of students to choose who they want to be. FIRST is a real world where you choose your destiny.

I just got a PM from one of the members on chiefdelphi. She is hesitating to post here because she thinks that she has posted enough for today. If you have something meaningful to say or something that may help someone out... please DON'T HESITATE.

This is probably one of the longest posts I have made since I joined Chiefdelphi. Sometimes few things should be brought up and discussed.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2005, 11:23 PM
Proto-Engineer
AKA: Bjorn Westergard
FRC #1418 (Vae Victus)
Team Role: College Student

phrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to phrontist

The tallest blade of grass gets cut first.

Almost always being a truly driven, unique, outspoken individual is much more difficult then going with the flow. Is it worth it? It's hard to say, and a lot of people don't want to take the risk. Can you blame them?

University of Kentucky - Radio Free Lexington

"I would rather have a really big success or a really spectacular crash and failure then live out the warm eventual death of mediocrity" - Dean Kamen
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2005, 11:47 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
tiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tiffany34990

first off..thank you arefin for the kind words. all i say is i try.. fail a lot but yea.

secondly i can rant on this topic b/c of who i am and all.

but i'll try to make this short.

1. it is true parents well it's a lot of their faults...their lil boy or girl can't possible mess up in life.. it becomes the teachers fault or mentors b/c they didn't spend one on one time w/ the student or they just teach the kids the wrong thing... okies my mom always disapproves of how kids hate to try to eat new things b/c of their parents just saying they won't like it...we have different taste buds then our parents... unless you try it you won't know you like it

2. tv. okies i didn't grow up watching a lot of tv. i see my niece and nephew just sitting there watching tv for entertainment.. it is really not that great.. soo many things that aren't appropriate for age groups and parents just let them.and excerise and using your own mind w/ games is better.

3. chances.. yes many are afraid to as ms. frizzle said in the magic school bus.. "take chances and get messy"..you have to believe in yourself and just go for it

4. there are still leaders and followers... i like to believe i have become a leader. it's easy still to get into peer pressure and all. it seems to have gotten worse in the eyes of my parents. everyone wants to fit and and be cool.

5. one thing i have to say is what my mom always tells me: "you have to know who you are and where you come from and don't be ashamed" if you don't know yourself and backgroud how do you except yourself to make a difference if you don't know your wants, likes, needs, or goals

6. growing up... well everyone has to do it...we all like to be kids at heart..but you have to take on responsiblites... a lot of kids don't have any at home...or they have so much to take on... we need a balance of course but what is it i'm not sure. but baby steps are a way unless well some unfortante things fall into your plate

7. making your own choices..this is a part of growing up and all. okies my mom ever since i was a little kid picked my schools.. really from day 1... my mom asked me how many days of pre-school i wanted.. choice between 3 days or 5 ..well i picked 5.. every big choice really.. i thank my parents a whole bunch for letting me choose what i wanted and felt is right..the same thing about college.. i'm going to USF.. i could have gone other places but it's my life and how i achieve my dream is up to me. but when you mess up...take the blame..it's better..you become a better person...with all our faults and achievements everyone is a great being...just have to find our calling in life (and yes that's hard to figure out for sure...i haven't really yet either)

8. (ha i better shut up soon lol) i suggest find something that motivates you... mine is simply if i dont' do it..i can't sleep @ nite..so i might as well tackle my problem or not sleep and well we all know you need sleep ...but always be proud of how you are and what you have done... and be accepting of others..everyone is different..yet everyone is the same..we all have feelings... as we learn all the time..don't just shoot down someone's idea in a design review.. let everyone have a chance.. you never know it could be a good one..

sry this is long again...but really kids need to be themselves, take some chances and try...not hid behind their parents and all.. i am actually a very shy person and i sorta fully gotten out of my shell... in addition though... don't except to be praised when you do something great.. i think that's a lot of kids' problem today. they expect to be told its great what they are doing. you have to realize when you are doing something great so be proud. the more you rely on you..the better you are.. and well friends are great i knwo they are... remember your family.. they are the ones that will support you no matter what.. some kids forget about their family..listen you many not like what your parents says but listen to your elders..they have gone through a lot that we haven't yet and can help. and remember too stand up for what you believe in as people always say but it's true.

FIRST has helped me that's why i love it so much. i thank my big bro for getting me into this. i love FIRST and my hs team 180 for letting me take chances... yes like arefin said...i was pushed down many many times..and not wanted in the pit..but i took over and became the pit captain.. if you want it bad enough you'll find a way.. arefin always tells me that.. FIRST is a great community as i say time after time b/c really it is b/c there are so many great people that probably have sorta gone through what you have or truly have and are soo willing to help. overall i have never met a better bunch of people that i call a part of my great big family.

and i shall now end this ranting.... but... i wish everyone luck in life...society will never be perfect...i'm not sure how it is going to turn out...but i'm sure it'll be okay..w/ things like FIRST around and the people in FIRST there is good. younger generations just have to learn somehow all the things we are learning and with time they will. and well when some of us become parents perhaps will remember this thread and realize yea parents do affect us...well okies everyone affects us.. need positive role models.. i hope everyone can be a good role model for others... i think you all are.. so yeah good luck in life... peace w/ you all..

sorry sorry again this was long...

Last edited by tiffany34990 : 08-18-2005 at 12:16 AM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-18-2005, 01:56 AM
Electrical Engineer
AKA: Phil Baltar
FRC #1351
Team Role: College Student

sciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to sciguy125 Send a message via MSN to sciguy125 Send a message via Yahoo to sciguy125

Quote:
Something I notice [and I am sure others notice] is that many young people look for people to lead them ...They dont take initiative and they lack confidence. I have noticed on robotics teams that many times students dont try to step up...
There are leaders and there are followers. If there were only leaders or only followers, it would be anarchy. Everyone has their place in the world. People are born to be leaders or followers the same way that they are born to be an engineer or an artist. They will go where they are comfortable and where they will be most effective. Personally, I'm not a leader. I hate being in leadership positions. If I have to, I will get the job done, but I won't like it. I just hate telling people what to do.

I agree that some don't step up because there are others there. But that's the way it is. Things happen out of necessity. If there's no need for someone to be a leader (because someone already is), they won't see any reason to step up.

Quote:
And when said student does step up -- the other students do not always listen because they dont have authority. Where is the respect for your peers?
I don't think that it's a lack of respect for peers, just a lack of respect for those they don't feel deserve it. Within our own team, some students command more respect than others. Some are almost never questioned, others were named "honorary freshman for life" and accept the abuse that comes with the title (not that we abuse our freshman...using whips and chaining them together isn't abuse right?). I think that people generally have to earn your respect before you give it to them. People that are older than you have a head start because they theoretically have more experience. That's the only reason they usually command more respect than peers.

Quote:
Another subject that was brought up is how people always have to find something to put the blame on.
The pessimist will blame themselves, the optimist will blame others. It's human nature. If there's something wrong with you, then you are flawed. Nobody likes to think that there's a problem with themselves.

Quote:
Our team is primarily student run. Teachers handle all the official business with the school. Student leaders handle all internal affairs. I think that a few of our leaders wouldn't have normally taken the position, but it was forced on them. The founders of the team designed it to be student run so someone had to fill the positions. Some of them are respected more than others, some seem to like the position better than others... Some people are cut out for leadership, others aren't.

Quote:
But basically I do not agree with the way society is today [never really have] so that is why I rebel [in the good way].
Me too. But I undertake a passive rebellion. In general, I just don't like people that don't think. People tend to see one side of something and stop looking. If they do happen to keep looking, they tend to stop when they find a side they like. People are happy eating whatever the media throws at us. I like to show people the side they don't want to look at. To those that may be stalking me on the forums, you may notice that I like to take the opposite side of a discussion and argue with people. I don't always disagree with those I am arguing with and I don't always believe what I argue. What I do believe however, is that it shows people something they normally can't or don't want to see.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GE/S/P a-- e y-- r-- s:++ d+ h! X+++
t++ C+ P+ L++ E W++ w M-- V? PS+ PE+
5- R-- tv+ b+ DI+++ D- G
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Kims Robot's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Onto a New Chapter...
AKA: Kim O'Toole Eckhardt
no team

Rookie Year: 1996
Kims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kims Robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrontist

Almost always being a truly driven, unique, outspoken individual is much more difficult then going with the flow. Is it worth it? It's hard to say, and a lot of people don't want to take the risk. Can you blame them?
I'll start here... and I have heard that analogy before... but wow, the more I think about it, thats silly!! The tallest blade does not get cut first... the one under the mower does!! And all of the blades of grass are going to get cut to the same length at the same time (well barring the spinning direction of the blade). Enough philosophy.

But my answer to this question is it IS worth it. Do you think Dean or Bill Gates went with the flow?!?! How about Michael Jordan or Picabo Street?!?! How about your mentors? Did they go with the flow of the rest of the people in this world who dont have time to bother with high school students? HECK NO! Being different is worth it. I agree that its hard in the school years to debate whether or not it is worth it to stand out, but believe in yourself and make your own decisions I PROMISE you[and anyone else who asks this question] it is worth it, it will get you MUCH MUCH farther in life. If any of these people actually had anyone they looked up to, you look up to someone because they are different, you dont look up to someone who does exactly the same thing as everyone else, they would understand being different is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciguy125
There are leaders and there are followers. If there were only leaders or only followers, it would be anarchy. Everyone has their place in the world. People are born to be leaders or followers the same way that they are born to be an engineer or an artist. They will go where they are comfortable and where they will be most effective. Personally, I'm not a leader. I hate being in leadership positions. If I have to, I will get the job done, but I won't like it. I just hate telling people what to do.
Well, I think people misunderstood Ashley a bit. To put it back in the context of the discussion we had, we werent talking so much about the actual leaders (the ones who step up and run the team)... What Ashley and I were talking about is that students are not willing to step up and take OWNERSHIP of a task on their own. For example, we had a set of students that really wanted to run a CAD seminar for the team. Yet when I asked them to pick a date and lay out their plans... nothing happened. They didnt take ownership. As far as I could tell, they wanted me to tell them when and where and what to teach. Then they would show up and do it.

I 100% agree that you need leaders and followers. However, you do not need mindless followers. And you do not need dictators. The best leader and the best follower are BOTH teamworkers. They both contribute ideas, they both can take action, they both can get things done.

Quote:
The pessimist will blame themselves, the optimist will blame others. It's human nature. If there's something wrong with you, then you are flawed. Nobody likes to think that there's a problem with themselves.
And I get what you are saying here, but I dont agree. I am an optimist... however, I blame myself a lot. I do whatever I can to either not assign blame to others, or just take action to correct it (whats the use of blame anyway??) its much more productive to just do something about it. And 99% of the pessimists I know, will say its the world's fault, or the teachers fault, or the government's fault. But I do agree that most people dont want to think the problem lies within. Its hard to accept.

Anyways, this is interesting to see others perspectives on this Note that where I disagree, I dont intend to "argue", just present my view of the situation.
History - Team 176, Team 229, Team 1511, FIRST Volunteer!!
My new FIRST Photography Hobby & Angry Eric's Fan Page
Excellence - is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-18-2005, 11:21 AM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

Society on the Future?

I think one of our biggest problems is we dont have any specific purpose or direction as a country, species, or for society in general.

For most of the last few thousand years people spent most of their lives just trying to stay alive - food, clothes and shelter, provide for the real-life needs of your family.

But today? It takes very little effort to feed yourself, to have clothing and shelter - so what is our real purpose today?

What are we trying to accomplish as a society, a nation? a species?

Will people be dancing in the streets if we find some ooze of goo living under a rock on Mars? Will we have fullfilled our purpose if we have 10 people living on Mars (with living conditions very much like our south pole?).

You tell young people "you have to work hard, to have to strive..."

but the question that has no clear answer right now is "Why?"
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-18-2005, 11:41 AM
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra IV
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2002
artdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Society on the Future

Quote:
I've always thought that what makes an average person exceptional is not their inability to make mistakes, but rather their ability to recognise, rectify, and learn from them. It is not easy for people to take responsibility for themselves. But then, like most things in life, we must recognise when we have been at fault and accept it. It will be hard for many people, but then again, that is why some people will rise a cut above the rest.

When I joined Team 228 in freshman year, I was a quiet freshman. I liked to watch how everything was run, and I helped immensly during the build season that year. I didn't really step up to anything important because I didn't know very well yet the other people of the team. But this past year, my second year on the team, we found ourselves without a student to run our website. By now, I decided that I had nothing to lose by volunteering, so I stepped up. As Shakespeare once said in Julius Caeser, "Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once."

I didn't know anything about HTML, CSS, or anything even remotely connected to creating websites. And yet, I still volunteered. Starting with a blank slate (literary), I created the layout, graphics, and most of the content for the website. Within two monthes I had a very large, fully functional website online, just in time for the submission deadline. And guess what? Our team won the Best Website Award at the UTC Regional.

Just setting a goal, or a dream, or some other aspiration and giving it your all to accomplish it is a very rewarding endeaver. But as with all things in life, failure is inevitible. As Walt Disney once said, "A good hard failure early on in life can usually do more good than bad". Don't be afraid to fail. Be afraid of the fear of failing.

If and when you fail (it will happen sooner or later, just accept it), learn that it is not personal, that it isn't [insert name]'s fault, that failure just happens. Not everything is going to go your way. Work with failure, not against it. Learn from it, and use that knowledge to better your chances of success. For just remember, that it took Edison thousands of attempts to perfect his idea for the electric incandessant light bulb. And when his illuminating innovation suddenly worked, it outshown all his failures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWittlief
I think one of our biggest problems is we dont have any specific purpose or direction as a country, species, or for society in general.
I too have wondered about this. But then again, refure this if I am wrong. Capatalism of the Internet, especially by average people, is just the oppisite. Sure there are still alot of people looking to profit off it, but there are a ton that are doing this stuff for basically free. More and more people are creating free programs, open source software (like the incredible Firefox browser ), totally free libraries worth of information (Wikipedia), and people host millions of websites that generate no income, yet hold innumerable amounts of information.

Why? Many of these websites and programs will generate no immediate income - except for generous donations from average people who are impressed with the software/information and want to keep it available. But we must wonder, is this some giant, yet subtle movement that as a species we want (even if subconsciously) to reach out and bridge the gaps, and want to better ourselves for the sake of being better? This, I believe, would be an excelent goal for the human race.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-18-2005, 12:56 PM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

this is a short offshoot from the topic, but these freewebsites are often worth every ˘ you pay to access them.

Published information, and websites run by businesses that are making money on what they post, both have a real need to get things right, and they can be held liable if they get things wrong

but 'joes webpage' cannot be taken as an authority on anything. There is nothing to stop people from posting incorrect information on websites if no fee is being charged for use or access, and the author has no way of making a profit from it.

A good example is the email that has been churning the web for the last few months stating that Mars was going to appear to be as big as the moon in the night sky on a certain date. Totally wrong, and I must have gotten that email fowarded by at least 5 different people.

Usually you really do get what you pay for.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Rich Ross
no team (The Rat Pack)

Rookie Year: 2003
pakrat is just really nicepakrat is just really nicepakrat is just really nicepakrat is just really nicepakrat is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to pakrat
Thumbs up Re: Society on the Future

Quote:

But my answer to this question is it IS worth it. Do you think Dean or Bill Gates went with the flow?!?! How about Michael Jordan or Picabo Street?!?! How about your mentors? Did they go with the flow of the rest of the people in this world who dont have time to bother with high school students? HECK NO! Being different is worth it.
Well, we can always look at those famous people and say that being diff is worth it, but we have to look at the other side of the coin.

Some other examples of "different people"include Hitler, Stalin, and many others. Being different can mean many things. Both of the names i just mentioned are people who dared to have a different mindset on many things that society had come to believe as right (and society was right those times...)

I only mention this because i have a tendency of being the tallest blade of grass many times. I often think of things, or voice ideas that aren't in everybody's comfort zone. I get flamed for it. I've somewhat grown accustomed to it though.

I do agree with a lot of what has been said though. I think that there are a lot of students who, like you guys have said, just need to be shown how to lead. From my personal experiences both as a team captain and as a camp counsellor this summer, I've concluded that leading by a GOOD EXAMPLE is the best way to get people to act in the desired way. So, if you have a few students who are volunteering and leading well, let the other students know that thats the kind of leadership that needs to be taken. Encouragement and positive reinforcement are what we need to teach incoming freshmen and others too timid to take leadership. One of my fellow team members is amazing at all aspects of robot stuff, but has never taken a leadership role. Its his/her choice not too lead, but i think that progress is being made because of the mentors and student leader's good examples.

So, i guess what I'm trying to say is that just because the tallest blade of grass gets cut first doesn't mean that you shouldn't keep growing. Many students are that tall to start with, they're just bent over a bit. SO stand tall, because the taller you are, the more you can see!
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-18-2005, 01:47 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0180 (Team SPAM)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Warren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond reputeWarren Boudreau has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrontist
And yet, it is the tallest tree that gets the sunlight. It all depends on how you view yourself.

Pool Noodles. They're not just for bumpers anymore.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: