Go to Post Given the time Banebots has already cost us, what's a little snow? - pfreivald [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-18-2005, 08:40 AM
I'm parking robot yacht club.
FRC #4991 (Robot Yacht Club)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Conor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lengthy Threads -- Oh the horror!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrontist
I'm often joking. No, really. Humor. Believe it or not, I'm not in the slighest bit serious at times. I'm silly willy-nilly. Absolutely zany.
Is my non-engineering sense picking up sarcasam? hmmm, i need to analyze it more.

But yes Ashley has brought up quite a valid point, looks like this is the week of lengthy posts. I thought this is summer and we are supposed to be on vacation? As in taking a break from everything. Well I guess some people have school starting up, meanwhile I'll enjoy the 20 days and 21 hours i have left. But one more word of advice for everyone:

Ladies and Gentlemen of Chiefdelphi Forums, take a break, we got a long season coming soon. Did I mention its gonna be the best season ever?
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-18-2005, 09:19 AM
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute

Well, there is some truth in that it's the audience. But not the CD audience - the audience in general.

It's been proven that the average web surfer spends seconds looking at a website before they move on or decide to keep reading. Newspapers use a term called "above the fold" or "below the fold": referring to the fold in the newspaper - the most important stuff is put above the fold so that when it's seen in the newsstand the headlines attract your attention. This stuff happens all the time.

Yes, lengthy posts are sometimes skipped over because of length and....well, in the end it's the reader's loss if they don't want to read it. But there are ways to add a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down.
  • Formatting is your friend! We have all these neat tags on the forums, we might as well put them to good use. Use bold to accentuate what you're trying to say in a really long post, and more likely than not even if the body is long but the bolding is still at the part of the screen where you don't have to scroll, it will be read.
  • Break up the post. Not only with the enter key, but adding lists make your post seem easier to swallow.

And, if you're a reader and you want to catch up on a long thread, in the "Thread Tools" box there is "Subscribe to thread" - subscribe to the long ones so that you don't have to dig for them later! You can set your settings so that you're not recieving emails every time someone replies to the thread as well.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Kims Robot's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Onto a New Chapter...
AKA: Kim O'Toole Eckhardt
no team

Rookie Year: 1996
Kims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kims Robot

Quote:
It's the audience.

Engineers have no time for this low bandwidth, long, droning, "liberal arts" style drivel. Give me tables, figures, formulas, algorithms, methodology specifications! I don't want to read your 30 page diatribe on the importance of balance between the "Recognition" and "Inspiration" aspects of competitive robotics! If I wanted to sit around and talk about things instead of accomplishing something I would have majored in literary criticism and gone on to a throughly unproductive career as a lawyer or a U.N. delegate!
Yet the quote in your signature is from one of those "lengthy" threads... so apparently you read it... oh and one of the "engineers" started that thread... Im sure he reads it... and oh, Im an engineer... I read it... I dont see the weight to your argument

The best "engineers" are the ones who can effectively communicate their points and discoveries... without "liberal arts" engineers are nothing but useless computers with no communication skils.

And Ashley, You are on a roll

And Jessica, perfect addition to this thread... I cant stand a post when it is a page full of solid words with no punctuation and no capitalization... that blows up my brain (and is what will make me skip a post).
History - Team 176, Team 229, Team 1511, FIRST Volunteer!!
My new FIRST Photography Hobby & Angry Eric's Fan Page
Excellence - is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.

Last edited by Kims Robot : 08-18-2005 at 09:45 AM.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-18-2005, 10:49 AM
Proto-Engineer
AKA: Bjorn Westergard
FRC #1418 (Vae Victus)
Team Role: College Student

phrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to phrontist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kims Robot
Yet the quote in your signature is from one of those "lengthy" threads... so apparently you read it... oh and one of the "engineers" started that thread... Im sure he reads it... and oh, Im an engineer... I read it... I dont see the weight to your argument
JOKING! Argh, I wasn't aware humor had fallen out of style! Maybe I'm just bad at it...

Of course I don't believe that any non-hard-science profession is worthless. I was attempting to parody, by taking to an extreme, the attitude I see in a lot of "nerdy" types.

University of Kentucky - Radio Free Lexington

"I would rather have a really big success or a really spectacular crash and failure then live out the warm eventual death of mediocrity" - Dean Kamen
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Kims Robot's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Onto a New Chapter...
AKA: Kim O'Toole Eckhardt
no team

Rookie Year: 1996
Kims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kims Robot

Quote:
JOKING! Argh, I wasn't aware humor had fallen out of style! Maybe I'm just bad at it...

Of course I don't believe that any non-hard-science profession is worthless. I was attempting to parody, by taking to an extreme, the attitude I see in a lot of "nerdy" types.
I knew you were kidding (or at least figured you were...) thats why I had the smiley face

Humor often falls out of typed messages... thats why I try to use the smilies or "lol" or something of that sense to indicate when I am joking. I think in typed text that is often needed (especially in discussions/debates as deep as the one's we've been in lately!! lol). People tend to take you seriously unless otherwise indicated, because most of the other posts are so serious.
History - Team 176, Team 229, Team 1511, FIRST Volunteer!!
My new FIRST Photography Hobby & Angry Eric's Fan Page
Excellence - is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-18-2005, 11:46 AM
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots (See-Hoe-Bots) [T.R.I.B.E.])
Team Role: Programmer

Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't feel like reading this whole thread, which, as I understand, is talking about people not wanting to read long threads. The irony kills me...

The reason why I didn't read this whole thread, is that it would take me probably like... 10 minutes. I'm not gonna lie and say I have better things to do, because I don't. But I don't feel like taking 10 minutes to come to the conclusion of "People should read long threads because usually they have good stuff", which is most likely where this thread has said, or will say.

EDIT: Some (relatively) common knowledge in the web development community is that a visitor to your site usually takes about 13 seconds to decide if he/she wants to stay. If nothing grabs their attention within those 13 seconds, they will leave. What exactly this has to do with this thread, I'm not sure. I'm sure some people could make a link or something...

Last edited by Mike : 08-18-2005 at 01:47 PM.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Mrs. ChrisH
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)
Team Role: Parent

KarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond repute

Take it for what it's worth:

Some pre-Internet wisdom I was taught long ago:
--Your paragraphs should be from 3 to 10 sentences long (my 9th grade English teacher)
--"Telegraph talk" is the inability to communicate with sentences longer than 10 words (I don't remember where I heard this one)

A suggestion, based on recent experience:
If you have trouble wading through long posts on this forum, spend some time carefully reading Herman Melville's Billy Budd. Once you have mastered Melville's convoluted sentence structure, you will have no trouble reading anything posted here!
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-20-2005, 01:29 AM
FRC #1511
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Ashley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond repute

Okay... Yes and no I agree with some of what you guys are saying. and I think from now on I will take some of your advice into consideration -- Good speeling of tings, B r e a k i n g things up. Making important things bold, underlined or italic. And whatever else.

Also, I think that by thread I more specifically meant POST. But when people just read the first post of the thread the do miss important things that are said by other people throughout the thread.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-20-2005, 02:12 AM
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute

lol.

(I love short posts )
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-20-2005, 10:01 AM
FRC #1511
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Ashley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bottiglieri
lol.

(I love short posts )
Psh, thats only because you are challenged.
Haha. Just playin... you still rock.. I guess.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.

Quote:
Some pre-Internet wisdom I was taught long ago:
--Your paragraphs should be from 3 to 10 sentences long (my 9th grade English teacher)
--"Telegraph talk" is the inability to communicate with sentences longer than 10 words (I don't remember where I heard this one)
Pre-internet wisdom??? I believe that almost all of my books on building a website say the same exact thing. People will almost always look over anything that appears to be very long.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: