Go to Post Originality in Sponsorship can get you a lot of places. - MysterE [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Which aspect of FIRST gives you the most inspiration?
The competitions 16 13.01%
The travel 1 0.81%
The people 81 65.85%
The robot 25 20.33%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2005, 12:20 AM
FRC #1732 (Hilltoppers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
John Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which aspect of FIRST gives you the most inspiration?

If you think about inspiration as sort of a spectrum, in FIRST it's very full. The robotics, strategics, and technology make up the higher wavelengths, the adrenaline of competition the midband, and the low frequencies that pull at the heart, well that's the people.

"A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving..."
--Albert Einstein

2001: FLL852 |2002: FLL20/FLL21 |2003: FLL23/FLL25 |2004: FLL14/FLL16 |2005: FVC22/FLL124 |2006: FLL3/FLL2986/FVC22/FRC1732 |2007:FLL3/FLL34/FLL56/FRC1732
2008: FLL3/FLL18/FRC1732 |2009: FLL101/FLL8963/FRC1732 ...(etc.!)
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2005, 09:00 AM
AKA: Gina Sweet
FRC #0067 (The HOT Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
dachickindapit is a name known to alldachickindapit is a name known to alldachickindapit is a name known to alldachickindapit is a name known to alldachickindapit is a name known to alldachickindapit is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to dachickindapit Send a message via Yahoo to dachickindapit

The people of FIRST are what really makes it for most people, I think. I know on our team, everyone has at least one mentor that they are very close to, regardless if that person is on our animation, robot build, or Chairman's group. There are many of our students and alumni who keep in contact with mentors over the off-season and after graduation. Without these mentors, many students would not be at college or in the jobs they hold today.

**Controls and Electrical Systems for who knows how many years now**
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2005, 09:29 AM
FRC #0573 (Mech Warriors)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond repute

Though my experience with past clubs and teams in the field of science and technology was indeed a fun time, I must say that there's something different about FIRSTers. FIRSTers always seem to have a passionate spirit for what they do that cannot be suppressed, be it in competition or in the hallways of a high school.

Through FIRST, I became a more outgoing person. My teammates, teachers, and mentors encouraged me in my rookie year (and following years) to step up with any ideas all the time, and to say what was on my mind - and that positive way of doing things eventually rubbed off on the rest of my life. In that manner, they inspired me to be the person I really was.

I've had the opportunity to meet and befriend so many diverse people through these forums - and hearing about all the knowledge they've gained and all the good experiences they've had also inspires me. The CD members inspire me to open up my mind and to learn something new every day.

Yep, I have to say that although everything about FIRST inspires me in some manner, the people have definitely had the greatest impact.

Lead Mentor - Team 573, Mech Warriors
Former Mentor - Team 830, Rat Pack and Team 3182, Athena's Warriors
Proud Alumna - Team 573, Mech Warriors and Team 1, Juggernauts
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2005, 09:35 AM
CourtneyB

Definetly the people in First are to be the most inspiring. There are so many people in FIRST that care so much and absoultely love what they are doing which is really insprining. I have never seen so much spirit in anything other than in FIRST. Mentors, engineers, techers, parents, the kids are all inspiring in FIRST.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2007, 09:23 AM
AKA: Dave Luongo
FRC #1153 (Roborebels)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2007
ctorloey has a spectacular aura aboutctorloey has a spectacular aura about

PEOPLE
People are the most inspirational part for me. Going to the regionals and then the Championship was exciting, and the reason that i joined my team was only to build a robot because I wanted a hobbie. Just all the passion that the teams put into FIRST is amazing by itself. Next year I know that I will be joining because of the people. I got friends to meet next year and all the stuff that goes on at the hotels and during the build season keeps a smile on my face 24/7. Seeing everyone during a match cheering on thier team is the best part because I get to see people like me. I know when I get older I will find a team I could be a mentor on or find a regional to help out at.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Fuel is not important ;)
AKA: Henry B. Sick
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS)

henryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond reputehenryBsick has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to henryBsick

As inspiring as the people of FIRST are, at the end of the day they do not motivate or inspire me to full effect. Dean Kamen for example, has many great inventions and started of course, FIRST. The fact that he has done this is cool, more power to him, and thanks really; but because I see him and his success, I do not get fully inspired to engineer. The application of my hard work is what inspires me to the utmost, thusly: the competitions. The thoughts that I think around that inspiration point are "Yeah, wow... look at what I just did. That is awesome, I can definitely see myself doing this [for life]."
I vote competition and not robot because of the application portion... it does it for me. Also, I'm not saying the robots aren't inspiring... the comp. just takes the cake.

*I am just using Dean as an example, Dean is one of the greatest innovators of our time and would never look down upon his accomplishments.

$.02

Last edited by henryBsick : 07-03-2007 at 09:46 AM.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2007, 09:48 AM
FRC #0084 (Chuck 84)

Rookie Year: 1997
JudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud ofJudyVandy has much to be proud of

The PEOPLE!

Everything else is a tool to help the people happen. Seeing the growth in kids over the years (and yes, in the adults, too), is absolutely astounding! I see it best in my team members and the alums who return, but I also see it in the other young men and women I've grown to know over the years that I've been involved with this program. It puts stars in kids' eyes and gives so many the tools and confidence to reach for those stars. When I look at the teams that are mentored, and were even begun, by former team members, I am amazed and humbled. (Yes, Mike and Greg, I'm talking about you!)

If I'm ever asked about the part of my educational career of which I'm most proud, like Dean, I must say my association with FIRST. The people make it so...
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Mountain Dew Bandolier Man
AKA: David Resowski
FRC #0910 (Foley Freeze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Herodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond repute

It's the people. One scenario I've seen a number of times is let's say team 1 and 2 are duking it out and team 1 tips team 2's bot during the match. I often see at the end of the match team 1 run over to help team 2 and see if they need any help fixing the bot even though they had just tipped them. It was an accident so both teams are working together to set things right. If that isn't inspirational I don't know what is.
2009 Detroit District Finalists - Thanks to 1856 and 2620
2009 Kettering District Quarter-Finalists - Thanks to 1504 and 1025.
2008 Kettering Kickoff Champions - Thanks to 67, 1075 & 2619
2008 MARC Finalists - thanks 67 & 226
2008 Great Lakes Finalists - thanks 66 & 217
2008 Western Michigan Semi-Finalists - thanks 2337 and 1504
2008 GLR Judges Award Winner
2007 Curie Division Champions - thanks 330 and 1270
2007 ARC Champions (13 and 0, plus scoring a double-keeper!) - thanks 1625 and 313
2007 MARC Champions - thanks 1732 and 1023
2007 Xerox Creativity Award - Western Michign
2006 I.R.I. Champions - thanks 71 and 1625
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Onward through the fog.
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

The pie is FIRST.
Each piece: competition, travel, people, robot
helps make up the whole of the pie.

Add to that -
Outreach - those we work with and expose to FIRST.
Developing partnerships on an on-going basis.
Fundraising, marketing, promotion - developing aspects of the team that will help students understand the process more clearly - that things don't just happen to make a team - a team.

I could never choose just one. For me, it is the pie, the whole.

Also, I have a great deal of respect for the struggle. Whether we are veterans or rookies, have competed on Einstein, or dream the dream of competing on Einstein - we have all struggled to achieve, to learn, to succeed as FIRST teams/members of FIRST.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Miranda: Design and Scouting
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

Rookie Year: 2005
MGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond reputeMGoelz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MGoelz Send a message via Yahoo to MGoelz

I think the most inspirational part of FIRST is the competitions, because it takes all of the other things to make it a competition. At a competition, you have all of the passionate individuals that sacrifice incomprehensible amounts of time into making everything work, whether that be directly correlated to the robot, or outreach and sponsorships to keep the team running.
Then you get the opportunity to see what all of our hard work has done, and compare it to what other teams came up with. Competitions were a big eye-opener to me, especially being a freshman, because I could see all of the different approaches to the same problem, to reach similar goals, but each in its own unique and innovative way. It's remarkable, the ideas that make their way into your mind at a competition, especially while scouting. There is so much to learn, so many people to meet, and a ton of robots to examine and admire.
(And of course, you still have your own team to bond with. )
"The ideal engineer is a composite ... He is not a scientist, he is not a mathematician, he is not a sociologist or a writer; but he may use the knowledge and techniques of any or all of these disciplines in solving engineering problems."
— N. W. Dougherty
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

The most important part of FIRST for me is the relationships that you form with your team and other FIRSTers. I don't know if you guys understand what I'm talking about , but I always felt a connection with previous team members, such as brothers and friends, and to the great mentors themselves. I truly love the people around me and would give up anything to continue working with them.

['18-'xx]: Lead Mentor FRC 5686
['17-'17]: Mentor FRC 2170
['16-'16]: Floating Mentor FRC 228
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP (OG)
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-04-2007, 06:10 AM
Since 2001.
FRC #0078

Tim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond reputeTim Delles has a reputation beyond repute

Personally there have always been 2 things that have inspired me.

1) looking at robots that look professionally crafted. The time it takes to think over every little detail, from the breaking mechanism, to the easy to use pin release of ramps. From the use of any type of material to the drive train. A well engineered robot will inspire me any day.

2) how our robot does. As much as people don't want to admit it, you are happier and enjoy the competition more when you win. If our robot goes 0-10 and doesn't get picked for eliminations i know part of that was the lack of me trying and people don't enjoy it as much. But if you were to reverse that and we go 10-0 and win the regional, then everyone is excited.

just my 2 cents
2010 - 2011: FRC Team 3280 - Rhode Rebels
2001 - 2009: FRC Team 229 - Division By Zero
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2007, 12:18 PM
FRC #1745 (P-51 Mustangs)

Rookie Year: 2005
Pavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt in my mind its the people.

My mentors, from the day we met, have always been very enthusiastic and have always been "pumped" and they are the ones got me excited about robots. On top of that I can't describe the people on CD. Even though I have only met a handful of people from CD, many of their words inspire me every time I read some of their posts and I am sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Pavan.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-15-2007, 07:48 PM
Counting Down to Kickoff
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)

Rookie Year: 2004
Eugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond repute

Though I voted people, I'd like to elaborate.

I'm very happy with the friends I have made, they're awesome.
I'm excited to meet new people, and people that I 've communicated with, at competitions.
I love traveling and rooming with FIRST friends.

Inspiration, however, comes from different aspects of the people I see. I am inspired by people who just can't stay away from FIRST, by people who go above and beyond to teach, by people who make it possible for their siblings and friends and peers to join FIRST, the people who reach out to the world and genuinely carry what they learn here wherever they go. That's what inspires me personally.

Team 461 for life!
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-19-2007, 01:34 PM
AKA: Linda, Mrs. G
no team

Rookie Year: 2004
MoeMom has a spectacular aura aboutMoeMom has a spectacular aura aboutMoeMom has a spectacular aura about

Great Question! I just want to throw an idea out there- I'm inspired by the PROCESS. The people plus the challenge plus the sweat and creativity plus the competitions-- all practicing Gracious Professionalism throughout. I guess the promise for the future is some part of that process too... you know, solving big problems creatively and graciously...
Essentially, research is nothing but a state of mind…a friendly, welcoming attitude toward change… It is the problem-solving mind as contrasted with the let-well-enough-alone mind. It is the tomorrow mind instead of the yesterday mind. -Charles Kettering

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: