Go to Post But FIRST isn't FRC anymore. We need to make way for FTC and FLL. - Tetraman [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > CAD
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-30-2016, 06:36 PM
Robotics Engineer
FRC #0319 (Big Bad Bob)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Ty Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How does your CAD team work?

319 uses OnShape to CAD.
  • It's cloud based and doesn't need to be installed anywhere to be sued
  • It's free
  • Multiple people can work on a model at a time (like Google Docs)
  • The tutorials are incredibly helpful.
  • You can load the models on your phone for quick glances or measurements.
  • It's fully version control capable with a full history of changes.
  • Its Part Studio method of CADing is amazingly efficient and intuitive.

We absolutely love OnShape. It's opened up more opportunities for our team to CAD than we could have ever expected. If you have any questions about OnShape, feel free to send me a PM.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2017, 11:59 AM
AKA: Justin
FRC #2090 (Buff 'N Blue)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2014
jlai is an unknown quantity at this point

2090 uses it too! And we teach it in our class curriculum too.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2017, 09:46 AM
AKA: Nate Valentine
FRC #6223 (Arsenal Engineering)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2017
valenat01 is an unknown quantity at this point

All our CAD team consists of is one person working on a computer while having the other members of design team draw what they want to see in CAD on a whiteboard. This year we used it more as a method of visualizing the robot in 3D space. We're probably going to improve the setup we have for next year as we're only a second year team and we still have much to learn. The one thing that helped us out a lot this year was GrabCad having almost every single 3D model under the sun for individual pieces.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2017, 10:15 AM
no bag, vex only, final destination
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #0228 (GUS Robotics); FRC #2170 (Titanium Tomahawks)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

It's definitely pretty difficult to divide up CAD work in such a way that it saves you time versus one talented person being the primary CAD user. Lots of teams have one primary detailed designer that the rest of the team works with through discussions, concept drawings, prototypes, etc.

One way to divide up CAD in a way that is a total cop-out, is to have one person as the dedicated drafter who makes all the drawings. This person will rarely have any conflicts with anyone else on the CAD team since they aren't usually modeling anything new, but they take important work and remove that workload from other members of the CAD team. The downside is that this job is both kind of boring and requires a degree of expertise in manufacturing.

You can also make a newer student responsible for mass-producing the more "boring" CAD stuff after the major design work is done. Things like gussets, drive shafts, assembling bearings / gearboxes and crap, etc.

If you are deliberate about how you structure your assemblies, and you keep derived features to a bare minimum, you can work on the CAD in different assemblies at the same time without interference.

No matter what you do, have *one person*, your best CAD person, be responsible for subsystem integration. This is a very difficult task sometimes, and can often involve changing a lot of things in different systems, so this should be done when nobody else is messing with the CAD. Really this integration should be an active effort planned out in advance - make sure everyone understands what their system will interface to and how it will connect before they go off and design their own stuff.

For non cloud based solutions, you can use something like Dropbox, Google Drive, or GitHub as a method of sharing files. These are not really built for CAD and if you work at the same time you can get those dread conflicted copies or broken stuff, so this is really only good for small teams. I know less about purpose built CAD collaboration tools like GrabCAD, or even cloud based CAD like OnShape, but they are probably better!
--2016 Waterbury SFs (with 3314, 3719), RIDE #2 Seed / Winners (with 1058, 6153), Carver QFs (with 503, 359, 4607)
--2017 Waterbury SFs (with 195, 558) & Industrial Design
Consultant Person: 2170 (2017) - Waterbury Judge's Award
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Season Photo Gallery
-- 2015 TVR Motorola Quality, FLR GM Industrial Design -- 2014 FLR Motorola Quality / SFs (with 341, 4930)
-- 2013 BAE Motorola Quality, WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182)
-- 2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / SFs (with 2168, 118)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Ace Machinist
AKA: Henry O'Callaghan
FRC #4536 (MinuteBots)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2014
daliberator has a spectacular aura aboutdaliberator has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
I know less about purpose built CAD collaboration tools like GrabCAD, or even butt based CAD like OnShape, but they are probably better!
This is the first year we've used CAD to drive our design process, and using GrabCAD was definitely one of the things that made it successful. It let our three primary CAD users work together and stay organized. The software is very easy to use and functions seamlessly with Creo 3.0. I would highly recommend trying it out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: