OCCRA
Go to Post Darn kids, how can they not be addicted to ChiefDelphi? - Kyle Love [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > CAD
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-30-2016, 06:36 PM
Robotics Engineer
FRC #0319 (Big Bad Bob)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Ty Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How does your CAD team work?

319 uses OnShape to CAD.
  • It's cloud based and doesn't need to be installed anywhere to be sued
  • It's free
  • Multiple people can work on a model at a time (like Google Docs)
  • The tutorials are incredibly helpful.
  • You can load the models on your phone for quick glances or measurements.
  • It's fully version control capable with a full history of changes.
  • Its Part Studio method of CADing is amazingly efficient and intuitive.

We absolutely love OnShape. It's opened up more opportunities for our team to CAD than we could have ever expected. If you have any questions about OnShape, feel free to send me a PM.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2017, 11:59 AM
AKA: Justin
FRC #2090 (Buff 'N Blue)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2014
jlai is an unknown quantity at this point

2090 uses it too! And we teach it in our class curriculum too.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2017, 09:46 AM
AKA: Nate Valentine
FRC #6223 (Arsenal Engineering)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2017
valenat01 is an unknown quantity at this point

All our CAD team consists of is one person working on a computer while having the other members of design team draw what they want to see in CAD on a whiteboard. This year we used it more as a method of visualizing the robot in 3D space. We're probably going to improve the setup we have for next year as we're only a second year team and we still have much to learn. The one thing that helped us out a lot this year was GrabCad having almost every single 3D model under the sun for individual pieces.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2017, 10:15 AM
no bag, vex only, final destination
AKA: Pinecone
no team (Looking For A New Team); formerly FRC #228 & 2170)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

It's definitely pretty difficult to divide up CAD work in such a way that it saves you time versus one talented person being the primary CAD user. Lots of teams have one primary detailed designer that the rest of the team works with through discussions, concept drawings, prototypes, etc.

One way to divide up CAD in a way that is a total cop-out, is to have one person as the dedicated drafter who makes all the drawings. This person will rarely have any conflicts with anyone else on the CAD team since they aren't usually modeling anything new, but they take important work and remove that workload from other members of the CAD team. The downside is that this job is both kind of boring and requires a degree of expertise in manufacturing.

You can also make a newer student responsible for mass-producing the more "boring" CAD stuff after the major design work is done. Things like gussets, drive shafts, assembling bearings / gearboxes and crap, etc.

If you are deliberate about how you structure your assemblies, and you keep derived features to a bare minimum, you can work on the CAD in different assemblies at the same time without interference.

No matter what you do, have *one person*, your best CAD person, be responsible for subsystem integration. This is a very difficult task sometimes, and can often involve changing a lot of things in different systems, so this should be done when nobody else is messing with the CAD. Really this integration should be an active effort planned out in advance - make sure everyone understands what their system will interface to and how it will connect before they go off and design their own stuff.

For non cloud based solutions, you can use something like Dropbox, Google Drive, or GitHub as a method of sharing files. These are not really built for CAD and if you work at the same time you can get those dread conflicted copies or broken stuff, so this is really only good for small teams. I know less about purpose built CAD collaboration tools like GrabCAD, or even cloud based CAD like OnShape, but they are probably better!
2016 Waterbury SFs (with 3314, 3719), 2016 Rhode Island #2 Seed / Winners (with 1058, 6153), 2016 Carver QFs (with 503, 359, 4607)
Consultant Person: 2170 (2017) - Waterbury Judge's Award, Hartford Creativity Award
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2015 TVR Quality, 2015 FLR Industrial Design,
2014 FLR Quality / SFs (with 341, 4930), 2013 BAE Quality, 2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182),
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), 2012 CT Xerox Creativity / SFs (with 2168, 118)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Ace Machinist
AKA: Henry O'Callaghan
FRC #4536 (MinuteBots)
Team Role: Mechanical

daliberator has a spectacular aura aboutdaliberator has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
I know less about purpose built CAD collaboration tools like GrabCAD, or even butt based CAD like OnShape, but they are probably better!
This is the first year we've used CAD to drive our design process, and using GrabCAD was definitely one of the things that made it successful. It let our three primary CAD users work together and stay organized. The software is very easy to use and functions seamlessly with Creo 3.0. I would highly recommend trying it out.

#21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2017, 08:27 AM
CAD Captain and Drive Coach
AKA: Mikhail Sigalov
FRC #4096 (Ctrl-Z)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
msigalov is an unknown quantity at this point

Our CAD team has basically been two people making the entire robot, renders, and engineering drawings from scratch in CAD for the last two years. Each person gets a separate subsystem, avoiding conflict in integration by making the subassemblies modular and independent in the model. The subteams come up with designs that they want on the robot, and we work with them to help fit the design within our machining resources and that years rules.
It definitely is a lot of work, and I know I put in at least 200 hours at home working on the CAD in addition to my shop hours, and it leaves most of the team out of the loop on the state of the CAD despite using Grabcad for version control. I can't really see how a proper CAD team would function as until now, as the guy with the master plan in mind, I've had to CAD each subsystem to fit the master plan so everything actually goes onto the robot. I also feel that it is difficult to get people into CAD as it requires a lot of practice to get proficient enough to actually use it in an effective and time-efficient manner during build season.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-03-2017, 09:07 AM
CAD, Design & Graphics Support
AKA: Team supporter and enthusiast
FRC #0133 (BERT 133)

Rookie Year: 2009
TedG will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: How does your CAD team work?

Our "CAD Team" us usually about 3 or 4 people (sometimes five), depending on the year.
Myself, another mentor, and a student or two (or three).

I train the new students (who are on the "Cad Team") on the basics of Inventor in the fall before build season.
Teaching them how to model basic parts and assemblies, how to create working drawings (we machine our own parts) and how to get 3D content from other sources such as AndyMark.

Right after kick-off, we may do some prototyping in Inventor, but we usually don't get heavily into it until after week one, once we know what the frame and drive train will look like.
Then it gets hectic, we don't usually have a steady attendance of the cad students, or sometimes we don't know for sure what other systems are going to be until a bit later.
We model the entire robot as the season progresses with as much detail as needed to build it, so not every nut, bolt and wire, but most everything else.

The model, parts, assemblies, and drawings get designed by whomever from the "Cad Team" is there at the time, usually a mentor and a student.
We have 3 laptops with Inventor, one holding the "gospel" model and files, so we are constantly copying the project folders to the other laptop(s) when needed if more than one person needs the whole model.
This is not the best system I know, but we're hoping to improve this.

2010 - GSR: Excellence in Website Design
2011 - GSR: Motorola Quality Award
2012 - Mainely Spirit: Spirit Award, Human Player Award- GSR: Gracious Professionalism Award, Quarterfinalist- Beantown Blitz: Finalist
2013 - Mainely Spirit: Sportsmanship Award- GSR: Semifinalist, Woodie Flowers Award- PTR: Semifinalist- Beantown Blitz: Semifinalist
2014 - GSD: Spirit Award, 5th seed, Semi Finalists- PTD: 2nd seed, Finalists
2015 - Safety Animation 1st Place Award, PTD: Excellence in Engineering Award, 8th seed, Finalists, UNHD: Spirit Award, 9th seed, 6th seed Finalists Alliance Captain; Event Winner
2016 - NSD: Industrial Design Award, 3rd seed, Semifinalist- PTD: Excellence in Engineering Award, 2nd seed, Event Winner, Championship; Carver Finalists

Opinions expressed here are mine alone, and not necessarily of the team.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-04-2017, 12:59 AM
Team 2375's Very Own Dong
AKA: Edmund "Dong" Dong
FRC #2375 (Dragon Robotics)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2015
edong4273 is on a distinguished road

During our prototyping, we split different mechanisms we want on the robot into different sub-teams. We just had at least one person from each sub-team who would be making their part in CAD. This year was our first year doing CAD for our robot. We used a cloud-based CAD solution (Onshape.com) for CAD because it allowed for all our sub-teams to be able to CAD and compile it all together at the same time. Though it became hectic at times, it was fine when we all just sat at the same table so we could talk to each other easily.

2016-2017 - Vice-President of Engineering and Design of FRC 2375 "Dragon Robotics"
2015-2016 - Member of FRC 2375 "Dragon Robotics"
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-04-2017, 01:15 PM
AKA: Peter Buterbaugh
FRC #4176 (Iron Tigers)
Team Role: CAD

pjb900 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is actually the first year 4176 has ever had a formal design/CAD team, and it has proven to be quite beneficial.

Like other teams, we split up our work into pairs to handle various subsystems (we currently have a team of 4 people, excluding myself), with the overall CAD lead (myself) handling manufacturing drawings, sponsor communication and design reviews.

We use GrabCAD to manage and organize our projects, which has proven to be extremely convenient for the team. GrabCAD has also allowed the team to host it's own part library, a must for creating parts and assemblies.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (The Grasshoppers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

95 has one primary CAD jockey (me) and we use SolidWorks, with the Google Drive app to manage our files. Another user does all of the CAM. Students are usually prototyping mechanisms to drive the work that I do.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2017, 02:04 AM
Student Co-Leader
AKA: Dwight Howard
FRC #5842 (Royal Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
Dwight_2 is a splendid one to beholdDwight_2 is a splendid one to beholdDwight_2 is a splendid one to beholdDwight_2 is a splendid one to beholdDwight_2 is a splendid one to beholdDwight_2 is a splendid one to behold

As a second year team we have a very well established CAD team of seniors who help mentor younger members. We started our rookie year with 3 students including myself that understood the in depth parts of Autodesk inventor 2015 which with coordination with build team helped to create a championship worthy robot.

This season we got some help from a mentor that works for our main manufacturing sponsor. He helped us set up 6 CAD computers all with two monitors ( two monitors make the job so much easier and likeable) and an Autodesk vault server on our schools server.

This year we had every prototype and the full robot in cad by week 4 so all we had to do was make and send off the drawing files to our manufacturing sponsor to be made and we had 2 identical Robots built physically in a week. All this and we now have almost 8 students on our CAD team

You may not have the ability to do this but I can tell you the setup is worth it, if you can get a sound strategy setup to continue training people to do CAD work your robot will turn ou much much better every year.

2017 Lone Star Regional Winner

"It Doesn't Get Easier. You Just Get Better."
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2017, 04:55 AM
FRC #0058 (The Riot Crew)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2007
scaryone has a spectacular aura aboutscaryone has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Tremblay View Post
319 uses OnShape to CAD.
  • It's cloud based and doesn't need to be installed anywhere to be sued
  • It's free
  • Multiple people can work on a model at a time (like Google Docs)
  • The tutorials are incredibly helpful.
  • You can load the models on your phone for quick glances or measurements.
  • It's fully version control capable with a full history of changes.
  • Its Part Studio method of CADing is amazingly efficient and intuitive.

We absolutely love OnShape. It's opened up more opportunities for our team to CAD than we could have ever expected. If you have any questions about OnShape, feel free to send me a PM.
Same here with 58. The collaborative abilities are amazing.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2017, 08:07 PM
Technical Director
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

This is the first year we've done a useful amount of CAD. Of twenty students and seven regular mentors (including NTMs) we had one mentor and two students dedicated primarily to CAD. Most of the actual design was still done outside of CAD using pens and power point, but the CAD team was usually within a day or two of fabrication, and in a few cases even pointed out and helped resolve construction issues before we cut stock. We had some great renders for our pit notebook this year, much better than we ever have. Next year as their skills have advanced and we may perhaps add another student or two, we're hoping to make the transition from Computer Aided Drawing to Computer Assisted Design.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2017, 11:30 AM
FRC #0830 (The RatPack)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2016
j-ben0 is an unknown quantity at this point

So my team has had a it's own CAD team for a few years now. We use SolidWorks but any Software, such as Inventor, works for this strategy. We then use GrabCAD to collaborate on our CAD projects. How we usually design is as follows:

1 Person designs drive train and manages the final assembly
1-2 People per other mechanism. If there are two people, both design different parts and whoever finishes designing their parts first puts them into an assembly.

Then, whoever designed the part directs the mechanical team on how to build it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: