OCCRA
Go to Post I owe a debt, as many FIRSTers do, to the entire organization as a whole. Every team, every student, every person involved has help make FIRST what it is today. This is my Thank You. ~Anonymous - BandChick [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Math and Science
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2017, 08:56 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute
Geometry Problem

I ran into a very practical problem math building a gate this weekend. Basically I had two 2x4s running parallel a certain distance apart, and I wanted to cut a cross piece that for aesthetic reasons ran from one end to the other. This is obvious a simple SOHCAHTOA for a line, but for a beam of finite width it isn't so simple. I ended up solving it practically (physically do it, and measure), but now I can't make the math work and it is bothering me.

I end up with an equation, but it has two trig functions that I can't reduce with a trig identity, so it isn't directly solvable by an inverse trig function. It seems like it should have an obvious direct solution...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_uploaded_from_ios_720.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	22018  
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2017, 09:54 PM
FRC #3932 (The Dirty Mechanics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2017
Cesar Mugnatto is a jewel in the roughCesar Mugnatto is a jewel in the roughCesar Mugnatto is a jewel in the rough
Re: Geometry Problem

θ = inverse sin((b-c) / a)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2017, 09:57 PM

Cesar Mugnatto is a jewel in the roughCesar Mugnatto is a jewel in the roughCesar Mugnatto is a jewel in the rough

Here is an example of the problem:

https://www.geogebra.org/o/Jh8DADfg
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Technical Director
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Not the prettiest way, but a single trig identity and the quadratic equation will get you there:
  • a = b cotθ + c cscθ
  • a - b cotθ = c cscθ
  • a - 2ab cotθ + b cotθ = c cscθ
  • a - 2ab cotθ + b cotθ = c + c cotθ
  • (a-c) - 2ab cotθ + (b -c) cotθ = 0
  • cotθ = (2ab √(4ab - 4 (b -c) (a-c) ))/2(b -c))
  • θ = cot⁻((ab c√(a+b-c))/(b -c))

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 03-11-2017 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Added open parenthesis on penultimate line
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar Mugnatto View Post
θ = inverse sin((b-c) / a)
Using symbols instead of text...

θ = sin⁻((b-c) / a)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2017, 10:42 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)

Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesar Mugnatto View Post
Here is an example of the problem:

https://www.geogebra.org/o/Jh8DADfg
This tool is super cool, but your answer doesn't appear to work? sin^-1 ((6-1.2)/10) is 28.6 degrees, not 36.87 degrees? One of the solutions to GeeTwo's quadratic appears to be the correct answer.

I probably knew this once upon a time, what does the other solution to that quadratic represent?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2017, 11:07 PM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2x4.png
Views:	44
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	22020  Click image for larger version

Name:	graphical solution.png
Views:	38
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	22021  
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2017, 11:17 PM

Ether's solution is correct. Mine started out the same way but in the process I dropped / forgot to cross multiply the right side by cos theta.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2017, 06:49 AM
Technical Director
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Curtis View Post
This tool is super cool, but your answer doesn't appear to work? sin^-1 ((6-1.2)/10) is 28.6 degrees, not 36.87 degrees? One of the solutions to GeeTwo's quadratic appears to be the correct answer.

I probably knew this once upon a time, what does the other solution to that quadratic represent?
If you substitute c with -c in either solution, it becomes the other. So the other solution is the answer if you did the problem with c being outside of a, or equivalently if the inside edges of the board (rather than the outside edges) were a apart at span b.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 03-10-2017 at 06:50 AM. Reason: swapped a and b originally
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2017, 10:48 AM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
If you substitute c with -c in either solution, it becomes the other. So the other solution is the answer if you did the problem with c being outside of a, or equivalently if the inside edges of the board (rather than the outside edges) were a apart at span b.
Ah, yes. Thanks! I could get to the top of your post, but I did not remember the trick (square it!) to get to a single trig function you could invert.

I'm still a little surprised the solution is so complicated, I was sure I was missing something obvious and it was going to end up with something like Cesar's original post.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: