Go to Post We try to limit ourselves only by physics. As the first person on the planet to communicate over a quantum encrypted AOL instant messenger session, I try to ignore those limits as well. - EricVanWyk [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#136   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2017, 01:56 PM
FRC #4242

apm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant futureapm4242 has a brilliant future
Re: Team 95 2017 Build Thread

Good job, 95! I agree - it's not too late to make changes after your first event! Between our first and second events, we revamped our climber by adding larger spool ends to keep the rope from jumping off the spool and jamming. Our climb percentage went from around 30% to 100%.

Also, it looks like the GSDE field was assembled incorrectly. The steam tanks were installed such that the rotor 1 slot is closer to the alliance wall instead of closer to midfield.

I'm just curious - Did the NE District address this with regard to the advantage that teams participating in this event would have over the rest of the district?

Last edited by apm4242 : 03-20-2017 at 01:59 PM.
  #137   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2017, 02:19 PM
FRC #3328

RaKiRosh_3328 is an unknown quantity at this point

What gear ratio are you guys running on your climber, and with what motor?
Thank you
  #138   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2017, 04:35 PM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (The Grasshoppers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by apm4242 View Post
Good job, 95! I agree - it's not too late to make changes after your first event! Between our first and second events, we revamped our climber by adding larger spool ends to keep the rope from jumping off the spool and jamming. Our climb percentage went from around 30% to 100%.

Also, it looks like the GSDE field was assembled incorrectly. The steam tanks were installed such that the rotor 1 slot is closer to the alliance wall instead of closer to midfield.

I'm just curious - Did the NE District address this with regard to the advantage that teams participating in this event would have over the rest of the district?
Thanks!

It was. I don't think anything was done to correct for this difference. Our pilot didn't note a significant advantage for one configuration over the other, for what that's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaKiRosh_3328 View Post
What gear ratio are you guys running on your climber, and with what motor?
Thank you
2x miniCIMs, 40:1 VP gearbox, then geared faster with a 22:15 sprocket set. At GSDE we used a 15:15 sprocket ratio, knowing we could gear up or down as needed. We stall the motors (not at full command value) to hold position until the match is over.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #139   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2017, 08:50 PM
Engineering Director, Team 701
AKA: Edesiri Mushale
FRC #0701 (Robovikes)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2011
edesirim will become famous soon enough

I like it, but I do smell a twin in the air! Check us out at the Sacramento Regional. Good job with your iteration after build season and nice blue banner!

#140   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2017, 09:32 PM
AKA: Stephen Kalogiannis
FRC #0716 (Who'sCTEKS)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
who716 is a splendid one to beholdwho716 is a splendid one to beholdwho716 is a splendid one to beholdwho716 is a splendid one to beholdwho716 is a splendid one to beholdwho716 is a splendid one to beholdwho716 is a splendid one to beholdwho716 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesCH95 View Post
The upgrades we implemented paid off nicely this weekend.

See GSDE Finals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBLXE5mQG20
And compare to GBDE finals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ6PyzWX05Q

Our auto move drops off the gear at 5-6s instead of 9-10s, we can cycle 6+ gears under defense instead of 3-4, we can acquire the climbing rope much more reliably, and can climb in 3s instead of 5s.

Per inspiration from 131, Chaos, we created an auto move that scores a gear on the side peg, then drives down field. This help out alliance establish a clean gear running traffic pattern because we were 'out of phase' with our partners and thus generally avoided traffic jams at the loading station.

In matches with some defense and fuel everywhere we could still score 7 gears, 1 in auto plus 6 cycles. We also climbed in less than 10s from when the rope dropped. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znlsWp3UAKA

Our GSDE 'total climb time' was close to 15-20s. This improvement is due partly to drive practice and partly to a rope guide system we added at GBDE.

By removing our shooter and it's collector we were able to safely remove an interlock from our human station gear receiver that allows the whole receiver to extend out over fuel. This resulted in significantly fewer dropped gears over the course of the event. We also utilized our ground loader to snipe dropped gears from the nearby loading station and score gears our alliance partners missed.

Thanks to our alliance partners 6763 and 3958 for a great set of playoff matches and a Blue Banner! 6763 has a very promising future. I can't believe 3958 slipped so far in alliance selections! We were extremely luck to get you as a partner again.

Remember: it's never too late in the season for drastic robot changes!

Now to get ready for Southern NH...

Great to see another successful side peg drive across the field Auto. i believe our robots are going to run into each other in the neutral zone at southern new Hampshire.
Check out our side peg auto, we missed but it doesn't happen often.

http://www.thebluealliance.com/match/2017ctwat_qm41
- NECMP#4 seed semifinalist
- 9th in NEW ENGLAND

2008- Connecticut regional winners
2004-UTC new England regional Winners
2001 highest rookie seed award winner
  #141   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2017, 05:28 AM
Hardcore Dork

JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Congratulations on a well deserved blue banner! I think you guys had a world class gear cycler this weekend.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by connoc1 View Post
Congrats, Grasshoppers! Looking forward to seeing you compete in the future. You guys just keep getting better!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edesirim View Post
I like it, but I do smell a twin in the air! Check us out at the Sacramento Regional. Good job with your iteration after build season and nice blue banner!
That is a sharp looking robot you guys have!

We are pretty well twinned with 5687 too. Nearly the same mechanism layout and capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by who716 View Post
Great to see another successful side peg drive across the field Auto. i believe our robots are going to run into each other in the neutral zone at southern new Hampshire.
Check out our side peg auto, we missed but it doesn't happen often.

http://www.thebluealliance.com/match/2017ctwat_qm41
Thanks! And to you too! I think that we will pass in the night if you will, our robot winds up closer to the side of the field than yours does. It will be interesting if we do face off though!

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #142   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2017, 08:18 AM
AKA: Nick Madsen
FRC #1073 (The Force Team)
Team Role: Operator

Rookie Year: 2015
wildwaffle is an unknown quantity at this point

Great job at Revere! Can't wait to compete with you at Bedford!

#143   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2017, 08:19 PM
FRC #2876

anushad is on a distinguished road

Out of curiosity, not that they were a bad pick at all (when we lost in elims, we ended up going and cheering with them), why did you go with 3958? Their alliance selection representative told everyone that their robot was done for, and even had us pass down the line not to pick them to avoid the awkwardness and rejection that would follow.
  #144   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2017, 10:17 PM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by anushad View Post
Out of curiosity, not that they were a bad pick at all (when we lost in elims, we ended up going and cheering with them), why did you go with 3958? Their alliance selection representative told everyone that their robot was done for, and even had us pass down the line not to pick them to avoid the awkwardness and rejection that would follow.
Interesting. I/we had not heard that their robot was"done" before alliance selections. We did know that they had serious issues, but thought they could work through them. They were our second pick at GSDE, so we know then reasonably well. We knew that they could cycle a few gears, and had a decent climber. Plus their drive team was nice to work with. They held their own as a solid second pick for us again.

I'm honestly at a loss regarding what you heard, it doesn't make much sense to me.

#145   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2017, 10:18 PM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwaffle View Post
Great job at Revere! Can't wait to compete with you at Bedford!
Thanks! This weekend is sure to be fun!

#146   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2017, 05:04 PM
Hardcore Dork

Battle damage from MABOS!

After some percussive maintenance and reinforcing bits we're good to go for this weekend.

We also added some fancy rope guides that don't get sucked into the climber every time and painted and reinforced our ground gear collector.

#147   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2017, 11:43 AM
Hardcore Dork

Per request, here is a link to the Weidmuller terminal kit we used for nearly everything non-Anderson Power Pole. We have really liked it so far and have had no issues with loose connections all season.

It is critical to use good crimpers designed to work with the specific ferrules you're using. Having everything in one kit solves that problem.

#148   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2017, 01:32 PM
Hardcore Dork

Grasshopper Pit Setup

BOM:
Wire Shelves $250 x 2
LED Lights $30 x 2
Power Bars $40 x 2
Rolling Workbenches $200 x 2
Small organizing box $30 x 4
Big organizing box $30 x 4

Total: $1,280

At our second and third event we won awards for having a safe pit. We have actually spent very little money to make the best pit we've ever had, and other teams may be interested.

(Selfie from our pit/organizing guru, he might kill me)

Start at the back, we have two wire racks, 24in deep, to hold a majority of our piece-parts, provide work surfaces, and even have a spot for coats on top. We directly mounted a work-top, power bars, LED lights, our cordless tool chargers and holsters.

The wire shelves being 24in deep is key to enabling the cantilevered boxes to open completely on the shelves. Not taking large boxes out or having to stack things was a firm requirement for us. The organizing boxes are full of small removable bins. Need some screws? Grab the bin! Need pneumatic fittings? Grab the bin!

The LED strips illuminate work surfaces, which are made of white-board material for jotting down notes. One was usually kept clear for the driver's station while the other got a lot of use for light assembly, notes/strategy discussion, and other misc tasks.

The bottom shelf of the wire racks was set just high enough to store 4x totes. We use these for bulky items like spools of air tubing and raw materials. Of the totes also stores our soldering station, which is a piece of sheet metal with a soldering iron and holder attached. This lets us solder anywhere without fear of burning/dropping anything.

The two rolling work benches go back-to-back in the middle of the pit. This configuration allows people to work on all sides of the robot at a comfortable height with easy access to tools. They are fixed together with a little velcro and two bungee cords plus locked casters.

We found this setup to be very easy to work with. We could quickly locate any part, tool, or material. There was plenty of room around the robot to work and to talk with judges and we even had a little spare work area under the robot for parts/tools to rest. Everything collapses down quickly to load into our trailer. Highly recommended for the amount of cost/effort we put into it.

Final shot to show how 'open' this setup makes a 10x10 or even 9x9 pit. We have 6-7 people all in the pit talking/working around the robot with elbow room.

Not shown is our battery cart and file holders, which tuck on the right-hand side of the wire shelves in the spare 1-2 feet of pit space.

#149   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-31-2017, 08:33 PM
AKA: Brendan Browne
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute

James, I'm really digging that pit update especially the back to back toolboxes.

Where do you guys put your robot cart while in the pits working?
  #150   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2017, 05:45 AM
Hardcore Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanB View Post
James, I'm really digging that pit update especially the back to back toolboxes.

Where do you guys put your robot cart while in the pits working?
Thanks!

Usually the cart is between the rolling work benches and the aisle.

Our setup at gsde was really dumb because we had to leave a direct walkway through our pit to an electrical closet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: