Go to Post In FIRST, there's no such thing as too many 1/4-20 bolts, too many bottles of caffeinated beverage, and too much knowledge from others. - Billfred [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

 
Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-05-2017, 12:05 PM
billbo911's Avatar
billbo911 billbo911 is offline
I prefer you give a perfect effort.
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Rookie Year: 2005
Location: Elk Grove, Ca.
Posts: 2,470
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
1 fps with OM5P-AC and Cisco AIR-AP1252AG-A-K9

We are having an odd wireless network issue when trying to replicate an FMS environment in our shop.

First our hardware:
AIR-AP1252AG-A-K9 , the same radio used for FIRST FMS and Cheesy Arena.
OM5P-AC configured with the Radio config tool ver 17.3 in "FMS Lite" mode with bandwidth limiting on.
MS lifecam hd-3000 directly into the RoboRio.
We use static IP's on our robot and DS. The Cisco is set up simply to be an AP with no QOS. The DS connects directly to the AP's Gb Ethernet port.

We use the Web cam for live view at 320X240 20fps. This uses less than 2Mb/so.

When we try to run this through the AP, we can only get 1fps video. Robot control is normal although wireless programming is slow, but still works.

Now, if we configure the OM5P-ac in the standard mode for team use, putting it into AP mode, with bandwidth limit on, it works great and we get video and good robot control.

The question is, is anyone else running your shop or practice field with this Cisco AP and can you get video through it at a decent rate?
__________________
CalGames 2009 Autonomous Champion Award winner
2011 Sacramento Finalist, 2011 Madtown Engineering Inspiration Award.
2012 Sacramento Semi-Finals, 2012 Sacramento Innovation in Control Award, 2012 SVR Judges Award.
2012 CalGames Autonomous Challenge Award winner ($$$).

2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC). Curie Division Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up. Madtown Throwdown: Runner up.
2015 Innovation in Control Award, Sacramento.
2016 Chezy Champs Finalist, 2016 MTTD Finalist
2017 Utah Regional Winner!, Sacramento Finalist, Newton/Carver Innovation in Control, Newton #5 Captain
Reply With Quote
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-19-2017, 11:05 AM
billbo911's Avatar
billbo911 billbo911 is offline
I prefer you give a perfect effort.
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Rookie Year: 2005
Location: Elk Grove, Ca.
Posts: 2,470
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1 fps with OM5P-AC and Cisco AIR-AP1252AG-A-K9

With the info following, we can now at least get 20 fps. Reliable communication is a struggle, so some more adjustment of the configuration is still needed.

As it turns out, FIRST is now using a Cisco WRT1900ACS as the field access point for FMS.
These routers are flashed with OpenWRT as far as I can tell.

With the goal of setting up a FMS like network environment in our practice area, I'm looking for advice on how to configure this router loaded with OpenWRT to achieve this " FMS like" environment.

BTW, the change in routers will impact off season FMS systems like Cheesy Arena and FMS Lite. So if you work with or on these applications, you may want to bone up on how to handle this change.
__________________
CalGames 2009 Autonomous Champion Award winner
2011 Sacramento Finalist, 2011 Madtown Engineering Inspiration Award.
2012 Sacramento Semi-Finals, 2012 Sacramento Innovation in Control Award, 2012 SVR Judges Award.
2012 CalGames Autonomous Challenge Award winner ($$$).

2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC). Curie Division Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up. Madtown Throwdown: Runner up.
2015 Innovation in Control Award, Sacramento.
2016 Chezy Champs Finalist, 2016 MTTD Finalist
2017 Utah Regional Winner!, Sacramento Finalist, Newton/Carver Innovation in Control, Newton #5 Captain

Last edited by billbo911 : 03-19-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2017, 08:34 PM
frcguy's Avatar
frcguy frcguy is offline
Planning events is hard
AKA: Nicholas Dal Porto
FRC #5940 (B.R.E.A.D.)
Team Role: Tactician
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Rookie Year: 2012
Location: Belmont, CA
Posts: 1,211
frcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1 fps with OM5P-AC and Cisco AIR-AP1252AG-A-K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbo911 View Post
With the info following, we can now at least get 20 fps. Reliable communication is a struggle, so some more adjustment of the configuration is still needed.

As it turns out, FIRST is now using a Cisco WRT1900ACS as the field access point for FMS.
These routers are flashed with OpenWRT as far as I can tell.

With the goal of setting up a FMS like network environment in our practice area, I'm looking for advice on how to configure this router loaded with OpenWRT to achieve this " FMS like" environment.

BTW, the change in routers will impact off season FMS systems like Cheesy Arena and FMS Lite. So if you work with or on these applications, you may want to bone up on how to handle this change.
Did you try running the robot using Cheesy Arena or just through the Cisco AP? If the answer to that is no I've got Cheesy Arena in all it's glory set up at school right now and I can test tomorrow with our 2016 bot and OM5P-AC and report back.

Also, I'm happy to try with the same setup you have - could you PM me the config file from the AP if you have it?

From a Cheesy Arena perspective, if the older Cisco AP still works is there any reason to change it besides being consistent with FMS? Pat has enough work to do already .
__________________



2017: Team 5940 (San Francisco Regional Quarterfinalist, Silicon Valley Regional)
2016: Team 5940 (Silicon Valley Regional Rookie All-Star and Quarterfinalist, Curie Quarterfinalist)

Volunteer: 2016 (Chezy Champs Field Reset, Capital City Classic FTA, MadTown ThrowDown FTA)
Volunteer: 2017 (Chezy Champs, Capital City Classic FTA, MadTown ThrowDown)

Last edited by frcguy : 03-20-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2017, 10:09 PM
billbo911's Avatar
billbo911 billbo911 is offline
I prefer you give a perfect effort.
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Rookie Year: 2005
Location: Elk Grove, Ca.
Posts: 2,470
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1 fps with OM5P-AC and Cisco AIR-AP1252AG-A-K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by frcguy View Post
Did you try running the robot using Cheesy Arena or just through the Cisco AP? If the answer to that is no I've got Cheesy Arena in all it's glory set up at school right now and I can test tomorrow with our 2016 bot and OM5P-AC and report back.

Also, I'm happy to try with the same setup you have - could you PM me the config file from the AP if you have it?

From a Cheesy Arena perspective, if the older Cisco AP still works is there any reason to change it besides being consistent with FMS? Pat has enough work to do already .
Hi Nick,

The original issue was discovered when we tried to stream live video from our robot. We were only able to get 1 fps instead of the 20 we had configured.
This was with just the Cisco 1252 set up as an AP and the OM4P-AC configured using "FMS Lite" mode from the Team Radio Configuration tool. We use the AP in this fashion so we can run a couple robots at the same time and also have the programming laptops connected as well. We have not set up Cheesy Arena in the shop as we really haven't had a need, yet.

I'll send you our AP config file in a PM. It works fine for driving, but Video and Programming are really SLOW!

Just as an FYI, we now have a Linksys WRT1900ACS configured with OpenWRT running in the shop that works great! This is the exact Field AP radio used by FIRST FMS.
__________________
CalGames 2009 Autonomous Champion Award winner
2011 Sacramento Finalist, 2011 Madtown Engineering Inspiration Award.
2012 Sacramento Semi-Finals, 2012 Sacramento Innovation in Control Award, 2012 SVR Judges Award.
2012 CalGames Autonomous Challenge Award winner ($$$).

2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC). Curie Division Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up. Madtown Throwdown: Runner up.
2015 Innovation in Control Award, Sacramento.
2016 Chezy Champs Finalist, 2016 MTTD Finalist
2017 Utah Regional Winner!, Sacramento Finalist, Newton/Carver Innovation in Control, Newton #5 Captain
Reply With Quote
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2017, 10:16 PM
frcguy's Avatar
frcguy frcguy is offline
Planning events is hard
AKA: Nicholas Dal Porto
FRC #5940 (B.R.E.A.D.)
Team Role: Tactician
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Rookie Year: 2012
Location: Belmont, CA
Posts: 1,211
frcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1 fps with OM5P-AC and Cisco AIR-AP1252AG-A-K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbo911 View Post
Hi Nick,

The original issue was discovered when we tried to stream live video from our robot. We were only able to get 1 fps instead of the 20 we had configured.
This was with just the Cisco 1252 set up as an AP and the OM4P-AC configured using "FMS Lite" mode from the Team Radio Configuration tool. We use the AP in this fashion so we can run a couple robots at the same time and also have the programming laptops connected as well. We have not set up Cheesy Arena in the shop as we really haven't had a need, yet.

I'll send you our AP config file in a PM. It works fine for driving, but Video and Programming are really SLOW!

Just as an FYI, we now have a Linksys WRT1900ACS configured with OpenWRT running in the shop that works great! This is the exact Field AP radio used by FIRST FMS.
Thanks Bill! I'll check it out tomorrow and report back.
__________________



2017: Team 5940 (San Francisco Regional Quarterfinalist, Silicon Valley Regional)
2016: Team 5940 (Silicon Valley Regional Rookie All-Star and Quarterfinalist, Curie Quarterfinalist)

Volunteer: 2016 (Chezy Champs Field Reset, Capital City Classic FTA, MadTown ThrowDown FTA)
Volunteer: 2017 (Chezy Champs, Capital City Classic FTA, MadTown ThrowDown)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 PM.

The Chief Delphi Forums are sponsored by Innovation First International, Inc.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Chief Delphi