OCCRA
Go to Post I love how the people of Chief Delphi can turn a spam post into a somewhat non-timewasting thread. Either way, congrats CD and thanks for this ;) - logank013 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2017, 06:59 PM
no team

Tio is an unknown quantity at this point
Auto Gear placement using camera

Hello

We would like to use the camera to help guide the robot to place the gear in auto. We know how to use gyros and encoders to get close, but we would like to use the camera to guide the robot the last 3 feet. We are programming in Labview . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2017, 07:10 PM
AKA: Aaron J
FRC #3238 (Cyborg Ferrets)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2014
soundfx will become famous soon enough
Re: Auto Gear placement using camera

The screensteps have some pretty good documentation on vision processing. I can't speak to the LabView portion of your request, but you can learn a lot about the concepts in these articles:
https://wpilib.screenstepslive.com/s/4485/m/24194

"I got 99 problems but 0.999 ain't 1."
~Orteil
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2017, 07:29 PM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at Medrobotics
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #0088 (TJ2)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
Hello

We would like to use the camera to help guide the robot to place the gear in auto. We know how to use gyros and encoders to get close, but we would like to use the camera to guide the robot the last 3 feet. We are programming in Labview . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
You'll probably want one of those LED rings that all the cool robots are wearing (makes those retroflective patches pop).

Then you'll probably want to filter based on color, intensity and size.

After that, you're off to the races, just tell your robot to move to the target.

I don't want to discourage you but this is a tough problem to implement after the robot is in the bag. It is hard to do even with it out of the bag.

I wish you the best. And...

...I encourage you to pick it up again as a fall project. Finding retroreflective targets is a very common task in FIRST games. Put that arrow in your quiver and you'll get to shoot it some day.

Cheers,
Dr. Joe J.
Team #88, TJ2
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2017, 03:37 AM
FRC #4613 (Barker Redbacks)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2017
Mark Sellars is an unknown quantity at this point

I echo Dr Joe's advice. Vision processing is best done as an off season project where the pressure is off. Tinker with it, learn the ins and outs an perfect the tech. Once you have it down pat then you have it in your arsenal of tricks and can use reliably when vision tracking is required.

I would advise teams not rush to use automation when a well trained manual or robot positioning technique will work just as well. It may be 'cool' but it also adds complexity. You need to think about what it gains you. In comp it can be one more thing that could go wrong. There is a lot to be said for simplicity. For 2017 4613 actively decided against using vision tracking for this very reason.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2017, 03:59 AM
FRC #2135 (Presentation Invasion)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2014
alyssaungerer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnson View Post
You'll probably want one of those LED rings that all the cool robots are wearing (makes those retroflective patches pop).
Here is a good LED that could be incorporated into your bot if you decide to pursue this:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more.../attributes/15

Also, I don't typically work in LabView, but this may help: http://www.ni.com/example/6712/en/

Good luck!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2017, 07:59 AM
no bag, vex only, final destination
AKA: Pinecone
no team (Looking For A New Team); formerly FRC #228 & 2170)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Vision algorithms are really hard to set up and get working without experience after bag day in the week or two before your competition. I would instead focus on making your encoders + gyro solution more repeatable. You should have no trouble getting to the peg consistently as long as you align your robot properly before every match.
2016 Waterbury SFs (with 3314, 3719), 2016 Rhode Island #2 Seed / Winners (with 1058, 6153), 2016 Carver QFs (with 503, 359, 4607)
Consultant Person: 2170 (2017) - Waterbury Judge's Award, Hartford Creativity Award
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2015 TVR Quality, 2015 FLR Industrial Design,
2014 FLR Quality / SFs (with 341, 4930), 2013 BAE Quality, 2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182),
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), 2012 CT Xerox Creativity / SFs (with 2168, 118)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at Medrobotics
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #0088 (TJ2)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
Vision algorithms are really hard to set up and get working without experience after bag day in the week or two before your competition. I would instead focus on making your encoders + gyro solution more repeatable. You should have no trouble getting to the peg consistently as long as you align your robot properly before every match.
seconded.
Team #88, TJ2
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2017, 12:22 PM
AKA: Maciej
FRC #2876 (DevilBotz)

Rookie Year: 2009
loafdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
Thirded? We spent whole season working on vision using pixy. We did get pixy part working, but couldn't get aligning to peg to work reliably. We dropped pixy and just use encoders and gyro. We picked easy(repeatable) spots to place the robot on the field. Then practiced and tuned pid and auto commands until we could hang a gear reliably/repeatedly on any of the pegs. I was surprised how well it worked without using vision.

A few years ago during Aerial Assault season, I asked a team that could score two balls in auto what sensors they used to do that. Answer was only encoders on drivetrain(don't remember what/if they had on arm/grabber/launcher). I was amazed they didn't have some fancy sensor stuff on their robot.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2017, 01:25 PM
FRC 2959 Alumna
AKA: Michelle Lester
FRC #5484 (Memento Vitam)

Rookie Year: 2013
beurwonderwall is a glorious beacon of lightbeurwonderwall is a glorious beacon of lightbeurwonderwall is a glorious beacon of lightbeurwonderwall is a glorious beacon of lightbeurwonderwall is a glorious beacon of lightbeurwonderwall is a glorious beacon of light

Since I don't know much about LabView, I'll tell you how my team did it.

Basically, we used the gyro to make specific turns to place the gear. (We start in the corner where the alliance wall meets the boiler/loading station)

With a bit of fiddling with angles and such, you should be placing a gear in no time! (We did this without encoders, but it will be much simpler with encoders.)
---1 Blue Banner (IN St Joseph Champion, 3 Awards, and 1 Year and COUNTING!
Head Coach of FTC Team 12014 (The Fire Wires) (2016-????)
---2 Event Wins (NorWestIn Champion and Bash on the Wabash Champion), 1 Time State Finalist, 1 Rookie Sensation Award, and 1 Year and COUNTING!

Starting the robot revolution at Saint Mary's College and The University of Notre Dame. Go Belles and go Irish!
My opinions are mine and mine only, and do not reflect the views of my team(s).
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2017, 01:37 PM
Debug? What's that?
FRC #4480

Rookie Year: 2013
team-4480 has a spectacular aura aboutteam-4480 has a spectacular aura about

I would also recommend using a cheap ultrasonic sensor to know when you are at the peg. This works wonders for the center peg and side pegs. If you rely on encoders, you may drop the gear too soon. With the ultrasonic, after we were aligned with vision (which wasn't that necessary), I just had it go forward at 30% speed until the ultrasonic reported back that it was within X inches. Really was helpful and our sensor only cost like 2 dollars.

2017 - Innovation In Control @ Lake Superior
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2017, 02:48 PM
no team

Tio is an unknown quantity at this point

can you share the sensor make model and where I can buy
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-21-2017, 03:02 PM
AKA: Al Gritzmacher
FRC #1507 (Warlocks)

Rookie Year: 2003
Doc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
can you share the sensor make model and where I can buy
There is a Maxbotics ultrasonic range sensor in the kit of parts. It's pretty easy to use.

I also recommend this one for a little more range.

There are VIs in LabView that work with them.

Taking 2017 off!
2016 Robot Inspector - Fingerlakes, Pittsburgh
2015 Robot Inspector - Pittsburgh, Champs. Judge Observer - Champs
2014 Robot Inspector - Tech Valley, Fingerlakes, Buckeye, Championship
2013 Robot Inspector - Fingerlakes, Buckeye, Championship
2012 Robot Inspector - Fingerlakes, Buckeye, Championship - Website Evaluator - Fingerlakes, Buckeye, Championship
2011 Robot Inspector - Fingerlakes 2011 Safety Advisor - Fingerlakes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: