OCCRA
Go to Post Nutritionally speaking I didn't get enough (MOE) green in my FIRST diet this year! - Mark McLeod [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2010, 10:05 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anyone You Know Did The YESS Program?

With respect to taking notes: If you have a laptop that you take notes on, ditch it, IMO. I get one of those 80-page lab-type notebooks and take notes in it--I can get about a semester of notes for 3-4 classes into one of those, and they're cheap. Taking notes on the laptop, I was more inclined to play computer games or mess around a bit.

Why there are different formulas for the same thing is a bit tougher, but it's easier to graph an equation in some forms than in others. And if you ever take Differential Equations, there are probably about 3-4 ways to solve any given differential equation. And every last one of them has a different procedure...

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2010, 10:08 PM
AKA: Kevin
FRC #1922 (Oz-Ram)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2010
kstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to kstl99

One thing that has come up a few times in this thread is not understanding the value of certain things being taught. I have been amazed at how many worthless things I was taught that I ended up needing to know. School cannot teach everything you need to know so they teach you how to learn. The only way you will remember the formulas, for example, is to do lots of problems until you get the feel for which one to use when. It takes hard work but you are really preparing for your entire carreer. You will need to know how to learn things that do not immediately interest you as nobody gets a job doing exactly what they want, especially at first. If you are lucky as the years go by you will be able to work your way into your dream job and you may change your mind before you get there. Lastly, you are asking CD for advice on this. I think you need to ask your teachers. We can only give general advice whereas they can give much more valuable help, and most all teachers want to help a student who is really trying.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Alumni
AKA: David Yoon
FRC #0589 (Falkons)
Team Role: Alumni

davidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud of

Eric: LOL Your school allows laptops at your school? Oh wait, my school is just slow to recognize that we are in the 21st century -_-... Yea I put all my notes on actual paper, just they can be very skimpy, messy and I am just terrible notetaker. I need to improve that too.

KSTL: Yea I am loving AP Physics right now, its very very easy when I know the formulas, its basics algebra with a dash of Trig in there. Its very relevant to my future career, and I am actually anxious to learn new things in that class. I didn't go to my teachers because I usually have a very tight schedule I have to abide by, especially during lunch. I go out for lunch every day, so I might not have time if I stay and talk... And I have personal issue about a certain teacher; I won't say because I will get in trouble. Lets say it goes against my morals

Last edited by davidthefat : 09-16-2010 at 10:30 PM.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-17-2010, 12:17 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

My college actually pretty much requires laptops.

The fun part is that most of the professors after the first year don't do anything with the computing power they have available...

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-17-2010, 02:18 AM
three on the scale
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much any college in the US allows and basically requires laptops. It's just how it is.
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-17-2010, 07:48 AM
Hardcore Dork
AKA: JCH
FRC #0095 (The Grasshoppers)

Rookie Year: 2001
JamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond reputeJamesCH95 has a reputation beyond repute

Practice problems, practice problems, practice problems, especially in AP Physics. Solve all of your homework problems using just symbols, then plug in numbers at the end.

Take good notes, and copy them over.
Always ask questions.
Read the book until you understand exactly what it's saying.

Study with a friend, go through examples, explaining them step-by-step to each other until you both understand it. This has improved my understand of material more than any other technique, and consequently earned me many As on tests and in classes.

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot, common sense is trying to not be an idiot, wisdom is knowing that you will still be an idiot.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Alumni
AKA: David Yoon
FRC #0589 (Falkons)
Team Role: Alumni

davidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud of

FML, calculated my overall GPA assuming I get all A from now on... Gotten to the point that I can't ever raise my GPA above 3.6 weighted... FML
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-19-2010, 10:29 PM
AKA: Kevin
FRC #1922 (Oz-Ram)

kstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond reputekstl99 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to kstl99

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidthefat View Post
FML, calculated my overall GPA assuming I get all A from now on... Gotten to the point that I can't ever raise my GPA above 3.6 weighted... FML
I don't know about the YESS program but I would think that colleges that saw improvement would be impressed with the turn around. It is never too late to try to get the best grades, both for your college hopes and because you learn alot.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Detroiter
AKA: Foxy
no team

Rookie Year: 2007
Josh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant future

I'm going to have to echo what James said.

The thing I attribute most to my success in AP Calc and AP Physics last year was studying with friends. Oftentimes, you find that you'll understand something that the other person doesn't, and vice versa.

Go figure that by teaching you end up learning a lot through the process.

Also, I agree with kstl99. As someone who's been through all of the college prep talks (aka anyone who was a senior in high school), if you show improvement, especially with a difficult course load, then that will be very impressive.

Combine that with good test scores and who knows what the limit is.

Last edited by Josh Fox : 09-19-2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Grammar + additional statement

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: