OCCRA
Go to Post What am I going to do with all of these torches and pitchforks now? - PayneTrain [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2009, 06:48 PM
Expert Flybot Crasher
FRC #1885 (ILITE)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute
15 Random Things I Learned This Build Season, '09

This is inspired by my newly finished facebook note that my friends were bugging me to complete. Here are my thoughts on what I've learned this build season, now that it's over.
  1. Project Engineers make alot of money not only because they have to know everything about the project, they also have to ensure the project's success and find a way to keep everyone busy for the project's duration. This last part is particularly hard.
  2. I figured out a metric with which to judge labor hours. Each 'function' on an FRC bot takes 10 solid hours for our team to fab, assemble and integrate with simple software. This assumes we already have the materials and are done with design and prototyping. It also precludes setup and cleanup times.
  3. Add another 10 hours if you or your team have never done that particular function before (such as conveyors), even if you have a previously-successful high-level design.
  4. Add another 10 hours if what you're doing is actually hard (such as a fancy drive train)
  5. Quadruple that 10 hours if you're all software engineers trying to create the piece of hardware.
  6. "Dewtoxification" is a real plague among teenagers.
  7. Sticking to a plan is very underrated. It was probably the only thing we did right on the first try this season. However, making a complicated plan is overrated.
  8. Consolidating strategies into a single mechanism is one key to success in FRC. We saved 10 lbs in weight when we realized that our 'secret weapon' was already on our bot due to the way our shooter is designed. Who knew?
  9. Do not powdercoat anything that deals with the production robot until as late as possible. This will allow you to weld as much as possible, which saves you time and weight in the end. This is more weight you can use for decorations
  10. Doing the hard and complicated has a good chance of success in FRC, despite popular belief. 1885 has discovered that succeeding with something that's hard and complicated results in a ridiculously fun-to-drive robot.
  11. If you want to see some motivated students, watch them be tormented by a robot that does all of its cool things while sitting in place because it's stuck on a floor component at a scrimmage.
  12. You'd rather fail at a scrimmage than fail on Thursday at competition. On the same note... You'd rather your honeycombed aluminum drive train shear at a pivot point during practice on Saturday night before ship day, rather than on Thursday at competition. At least you can pull a couple of all-nighters to fix the problems so long as it's still build season
  13. The programmers are silently begging to do cool things with software. The only way they can do it before ship day is if you give them some dedicated builders to help them create prototyping platforms for them to run on.
  14. Do not sacrifice in the quality of those prototypes though, for if the software is near perfect due to good prototypes then theoretically the code will be perfect when it's put on the robot the first time.
  15. The build students are begging to work hard to create a cool robot, if only they had an idea of what that robot should do.

1885: YouTube | CAD Library

Last edited by JesseK : 02-17-2009 at 07:47 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Trashed and Scattered
AKA: Everett
FRC #2865 (Roboteknix)

Rookie Year: 2008
germanystudent has a spectacular aura aboutgermanystudent has a spectacular aura aboutgermanystudent has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to germanystudent
Re: 15 Random Things I Learned This Build Season, '09

haha here's my list:

1) gearbox assembly is aproved by the government as a form of torture
2) gear grease tastes like an old moose
3) robots should be viewed with eyes and maybe hands but not so much the tounge.
4) always carry spare everything
5) double check for supplies needed before going to ACE
6) planning is important but the robot isn't built from plans
7) don't procrastinate

Last edited by germanystudent : 02-17-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: i wasnt quite done
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseK View Post
  • Consolidating strategies into a single mechanism is one key to success in FRC. We saved 10 lbs in weight when we realized that our 'secret weapon' was already on our bot due to the way our shooter is designed. Who knew?
I cannot agree more. My favorite designs, and the ones I attempt to emulate myself, are the ones where a single system performs multiple tasks.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Still waiting for the boltstretcher
FRC #0686 (Bovine Intervention)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2005
Seat Ninja is a glorious beacon of lightSeat Ninja is a glorious beacon of lightSeat Ninja is a glorious beacon of lightSeat Ninja is a glorious beacon of lightSeat Ninja is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Seat Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanystudent View Post
haha here's my list:
Mostly. Last year i found some 5+ year old lube in the back of our shop called "food lube" for food processing (i don't have a clue why we had it). Anyway the stuff smelled EXACTLY like blue cheese, but I didn't taste it, so...

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2009, 07:57 PM
FRC #0744 (744 Shark Attack & 7239 Hell Robotics)

AlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanystudent View Post
haha here's my list:

7) don't procrastinate
#2 umm how do you know what an old moose tastees like, just out of curiosity.

and #7 is the story of my life.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2009, 08:11 PM
FRC #0339

Rookie Year: 2007
FRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant futureFRC4ME has a brilliant future

Here's my silly list:
1. You don't wire the driver station switches that way.
2. You don't wire them that way, either.
3. You don't wire them that way, either.
4. Radio Shack toggle switches break after three solder/desolder cycles.
5. Batteries connected to chargers that are not plugged in do not charge.
6. Four CIM motors have enough torque to push two chairs, a 120lb robot, and a desktop computer across a concrete floor in the amount of time required to retrieve a dropped disable/autonomous dongle.
7. Pretty girls who can solder wires, write code, and build robots really do exist.
8. With regards to item #7, this xkcd comic couldn't be more true.
9. Military-style safety swithces actually encourage accidental toggling.
10. All that physics stuff really does come in handy.

I'll post back with my serious list tomorrow.

Last edited by FRC4ME : 02-17-2009 at 08:15 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseK View Post
This is inspired by my newly finished facebook note that my friends were bugging me to complete. Here are my thoughts on what I've learned this build season, now that it's over.
  1. Project Engineers make alot of money not only because they have to know everything about the project, they also have to ensure the project's success and find a way to keep everyone busy for the project's duration. This last part is particularly hard.
  2. I figured out a metric with which to judge labor hours. Each 'function' on an FRC bot takes 10 solid hours for our team to fab, assemble and integrate with simple software. This assumes we already have the materials and are done with design and prototyping. It also precludes setup and cleanup times.
  3. Add another 10 hours if you or your team have never done that particular function before (such as conveyors), even if you have a previously-successful high-level design.
  4. Add another 10 hours if what you're doing is actually hard (such as a fancy drive train)
  5. Quadruple that 10 hours if you're all software engineers trying to create the piece of hardware.
  6. "Dewtoxification" is a real plague among teenagers.
  7. Sticking to a plan is very underrated. It was probably the only thing we did right on the first try this season. However, making a complicated plan is overrated.
  8. Consolidating strategies into a single mechanism is one key to success in FRC. We saved 10 lbs in weight when we realized that our 'secret weapon' was already on our bot due to the way our shooter is designed. Who knew?
  9. Do not powdercoat anything that deals with the production robot until as late as possible. This will allow you to weld as much as possible, which saves you time and weight in the end. This is more weight you can use for decorations
  10. Doing the hard and complicated has a good chance of success in FRC, despite popular belief. 1885 has discovered that succeeding with something that's hard and complicated results in a ridiculously fun-to-drive robot.
  11. If you want to see some motivated students, watch them be tormented by a robot that does all of its cool things while sitting in place because it's stuck on a floor component at a scrimmage.
  12. You'd rather fail at a scrimmage than fail on Thursday at competition. On the same note... You'd rather your honeycombed aluminum drive train shear at a pivot point during practice on Saturday night before ship day, rather than on Thursday at competition. At least you can pull a couple of all-nighters to fix the problems so long as it's still build season
  13. The programmers are silently begging to do cool things with software. The only way they can do it before ship day is if you give them some dedicated builders to help them create prototyping platforms for them to run on.
  14. Do not sacrifice in the quality of those prototypes though, for if the software is near perfect due to good prototypes then theoretically the code will be perfect when it's put on the robot the first time.
  15. The build students are begging to work hard to create a cool robot, if only they had an idea of what that robot should do.
Dewtoxification does not actually occur til the championships.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Friends of Waialua Robotics, Inc.
AKA: Glenn
FRC #0359 (Hawaiian Kids)

Rookie Year: 2000
waialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond repute

The one that stands out the most for me.
As you get older (9 build seasons and counting), the feeling of accomplishment after a long and tough build season never gets old. Its only when I look in the mirror.

2018 Canadian Rockies Regional Champions, #1 seed
2018 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, Quality Award
2018 Festival de Robotique-Montreal Regional Champions, #1 seed, Industrial Design Award
2017 World Championship Woodie Flowers Award Winner
2017 World Championship Darwin Division Finalist Award
2017 Greater Pittsburgh Regional Champions, #1 seed, Safety Award, Entrepreneurship Award
2017 Palmetto Regional Champions, #2 seed, Safety Award
2016 Hawaii Regional #1 seed, IDesign, Safety Award
2016 NY Tech Valley Regional Champions, #1 seed, Innovation in Controls Award
2016 Lake Superior Regional Champions, #1 seed, Quality Award, Dean's List
2015 FRC Worlds-Carver Division Champions
2015 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed.
2015 Australia Regional Champions, #2 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2015 Inland Empire Regional Champions, #1 seed, Industrial Design Award
2014 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, UL Safety Award
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Globe Motor Fan Club
FRC #6364 (TenTon), #610 (Alumni)

Rookie Year: 2006
Duncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Macdonald has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Duncan Macdonald

We learned that Orbit balls don't pass Canadian safety standards. (Source: Walmart)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2009, 10:01 PM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)

MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

I learned that it's pretty hard to read the Sharpie back-of-the-hand shopping list after a day or two. It's better to get the parts on the way home!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shopping.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	7507  
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2009, 10:04 PM
//No Comment
AKA: ...
FRC #1977 (Loveland High Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

bobwrit is just really nicebobwrit is just really nicebobwrit is just really nicebobwrit is just really nicebobwrit is just really nice

We learned that our shop walls are sound-proof to non-workers

FRC Team 1977 Alumni

Has Attended:2008 Colorado regional
2009 Colorado Kickoff
2009 Colorado Regional
2010 Colorado Kickoff
2010 Colorado Regional

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!"(I found it!), but rather, "Hmm.... That's funny" ---Isaac Asimov
Chance favors the prepared mind ---Louis Pasteur
And you can tell me, that I can't make a diffrence because I'm just one, but one is all it takes to start it. And you can tell me, that I can't change the world because I'm too young, but I wont stand here and be your target. ---FM Static
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Mountain Dew Bandolier Man
AKA: David Resowski
FRC #0910 (Foley Freeze)
Team Role: Alumni

Herodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond reputeHerodotus has a reputation beyond repute

Here is my list.

- Our team isn't incapable of sticking to a schedule, but somehow always get's done before ship/bag.
- This game isn't as bad as I thought it would be, judging by the build season.
- Chief Delphi is really amusing at 2:00am, along with just about everything else.
- 148 has some crazy mad robot skillz, though I suppose I actually knew this already. (also applies to 27, 968, 254, 100, 1625, and too many others to name.)
- Ship day sounds a lot cooler than bag day.
-Our team is actually capable of making an underweight robot.
2009 Detroit District Finalists - Thanks to 1856 and 2620
2009 Kettering District Quarter-Finalists - Thanks to 1504 and 1025.
2008 Kettering Kickoff Champions - Thanks to 67, 1075 & 2619
2008 MARC Finalists - thanks 67 & 226
2008 Great Lakes Finalists - thanks 66 & 217
2008 Western Michigan Semi-Finalists - thanks 2337 and 1504
2008 GLR Judges Award Winner
2007 Curie Division Champions - thanks 330 and 1270
2007 ARC Champions (13 and 0, plus scoring a double-keeper!) - thanks 1625 and 313
2007 MARC Champions - thanks 1732 and 1023
2007 Xerox Creativity Award - Western Michign
2006 I.R.I. Champions - thanks 71 and 1625
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-18-2009, 01:42 AM
ʇsı1ɐıɔ&#4
AKA: Ka'i Kau
FRC #3070 (Team Pronto)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2009
teampronto is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to teampronto Send a message via MSN to teampronto

1) If you can, don't go to radioshack more than 8 times in one day.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-18-2009, 04:00 AM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
- Ship day sounds a lot cooler than bag day.
But what sounds cooler:

Bag & Tag!
or
Crate & Wait! (for Fed-Ex to show up)

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Chase perfection. Catch excellence.
AKA: Let's bring CD back to the way it used to be
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONs, Team #11 Alumni (GO MORT))
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Holley

After my 8th build season there is still much to learn...

...but the important thing to remember is to hold your head high at the end of the season and be proud of the robot you created, no matter how "good" it is. Anything you put that much time into is worth holding your head high for.

NUTRONs (Team 125) '05-???

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: