OCCRA
Go to Post I don't intend this to be snarky, but what evidence is there that the field drawings will suddenly not be the dumpster fire that they have been for the entirety of the 18 years I've been a participant in FIRST? - Cory [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > CAD
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-19-2018, 06:01 PM
AKA: Ricky Marcus
FRC #1745 (The P-51 Mustangs)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
RickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud of
Vex Configurable Parts in Onshape!

Building on some of the newest features built into Onshape. I hereby introduce configurable VexPro Parts!

Just search '1745' when inserting parts into your assemblies. You'll find the following with more to come:
  • Motors (Switch seamlessly between CIM and MiniCIM)
  • Hex Spacers and Standoffs
  • Sprockets
  • Gears
  • Gearboxes
  • Shafts of Custom Length
  • VersaFrame Extrusion of Custom Length
  • Bearings
  • Pulleys* (Coming Soon)

What does this mean for you?
Change the length of a shaft without having to model it yourself or use a 'Move Face' feature. Change from a 12T sprocket to a 22T sprocket seamlessly. Change from a hex bearing to a thunderhex bearing or a 1/2" round bearing. And so many others!

One of the current downsides of Onshape is it's inability to easily replace one part with another. All the mates will break and have to be redone. Now you can insert a part, like a gear or sprocket, and then change it to a similar part without mates breaking. It will just update! After you have inserted it, change between configurations by right clicking on the part in the assembly and select 'Change Configuration...'

Part numbers are used as extensively as possible so they should come up correctly on your BOMs. Part numbers and names do not not work on configurable length parts at this time due to Onshape limitations. Materials, appearance, and weights should be mostly correct.

How do you use them?
There are two ways to use a part in Onshape.
  1. Most commonly, you will insert a part into an Assembly. Then use mate connectors to place and constrain the part.
  2. Sometimes, you'll want to bring the part into a Part Studio using the Derived feature. This will allow you to add features to the part, like grooves in a shaft or extra holes in a piece of rectangular tubing. Don't forget that I have a 'Custom Extrusion' Featurescript available that might better suit your needs in this case, but everyone likes to do things differently.
For more complex configured Part Studios such as the WCD SS Gearbox, you must configure it correctly upfront then insert it into an assembly. Don't forget to select all these parts and group them so they don't move relative to one another!!! If you're super fancy, you can only group some of the parts and then add gear relations where appropriate. I recommend inserting the parts into their own assembly then adding that gearbox assembly to your robot. It will be difficult to switch back and forth between different configurations of a gearbox (at least until Onshape introduces Assembly Configurations), but at least you can have your CAD quickly reflect your purchases.

Disclaimer: Please understand that I am generating these parts myself. This was significantly more involved than just importing Vex's STEP files. Part profiles, specifically gears, will not be 100% identical to Vex's files. But they are pretty close and shouldn't affect your CAD models. The only caveat is be careful that you are paying attention when using the parts to 3D print.

While you have the ability to make copies of public Onshape Documents, keep in mind that your copy will not receive any fixes/future updates that I make to my master Document.

Please let me know if you find any mistakes or have any questions about using these parts (how or why). If you have any part/assembly requests, I will try to accommodate before the 2019 FRC season begins.

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2018, 11:11 AM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vex Configurable Parts in Onshape!

Have you seen MKCAD? It would be nice to integrate both libraries together to make them more consolidated.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2018, 11:41 AM

RickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud ofRickyRobot has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
Have you seen MKCAD? It would be nice to integrate both libraries together to make them more consolidated.
Definitely aware of MKCad and use it regularly. I agree it would be nice to have them integrated and will speak with Marcus to that end. The main issue is that without some help directly from Onshape, libraries will always get out of hand. I can't even search for MKCad now without copies coming up higher in the list than the original files. I don't know how we can create a set of 'Official' CAD files for FRC parts since there will always be people who want the information/data in slightly different formats.

I have no intention of duplicating what MKCad has in place for all the one-off parts that our vendors sell, but it is nice to use configurations for families of parts.

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2018, 01:18 PM
AKA: Nick Aarestad
FRC #2220 (Blue Twilight) & FTC 9205 (The Iron Maidens)

Rookie Year: 2009
cadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for making this! I've been poking around a bit and really love the configurable part workflow with gears and such!

As for managing external libraries, what I've done is create labels for MKCAD and your library, so that instead of searching for them all the time, I have a "shortcut" under other documents that always takes me to the right libraries. It took all of a minute to set up and saves me the hassle of searching for them all the time, which is a real pain. I wish I could do this on the "Team" level so that all our members could automatically have them, but alas, that doesn't seem possible. Still way easier than managing a GrabCAD Common Parts library though.

Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you. - John Perry Barlow
grabcad | twitter | github
MN FTC Field Manager, FTA, CSA, Emcee
FLL Maybe NXT Year (09-10) -> FRC 2220 (11-14) -> FTC 9205(14-?)/FRC 2667 (15-16) -> FRC 2220 (18-??)
VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2018, 02:06 PM
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadandcookies View Post
I wish I could do this on the "Team" level so that all our members could automatically have them, but alas, that doesn't seem possible. Still way easier than managing a GrabCAD Common Parts library though.
https://forum.onshape.com/categories/product-feedback

Clarke's Laws
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-23-2018, 12:50 PM
I should be at baseball practice
FRC #1836 (The Milkenknights)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2013
marcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond repute

Ricky,

I'm so happy to see this idea coming to life and am looking forward to testing it when I get back to real life!

Shoot me an email and we can work on integrating these projects as well as some more Onshape tools for this summer/fall!!

"Once you've concluded that it isn't a code problem, it isn't an electrical problem, and it isn't a mechanical problem, after all that blaming you now have a culture problem."
"Precedence is no excuse for being wrong."
"Aesthetics are great, but not at the expense of functionality."
"An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that unified team will be successful."
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2018, 09:17 PM
FRC #6502

tdogb is an unknown quantity at this point

Darnit, just added configurable Versaframe to MKCad . Here is the link for anyone that is interested. What you guys have done is great, I will definitely be using this!!
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/51...d4a9f0c2f93783
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2018, 02:29 PM

I'm working closely with the MKCad team to get these configurable files integrated as part of that library. We feel like it is in the best interest of the FRC Community that we have a single place to find FRC COTS parts. As soon as the file names change, I'll update here. Stay tuned!

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2018, 01:17 PM
∑V=0
AKA: Zach Brown
FRC #6502 (DARC SIDE)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2018
21brownz is a name known to all21brownz is a name known to all21brownz is a name known to all21brownz is a name known to all21brownz is a name known to all21brownz is a name known to all

Looks like I'm switching to onshape

Diehard Onshape user
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-29-2018, 11:23 AM
Smooth Operator
AKA: FrankenMentor
FTC #12789 (The Hack-Gearz)

Rookie Year: 2003
Danny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond reputeDanny Diaz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Danny Diaz

This would be fantastic if there were a parts library for FTC as well (incorporating REV FTC parts, Tetrix, and AndyMark, and maybe all three sets of extrusion). Anyone know of one?

-Danny
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-02-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Diaz View Post
This would be fantastic if there were a parts library for FTC as well (incorporating REV FTC parts, Tetrix, and AndyMark, and maybe all three sets of extrusion). Anyone know of one?

-Danny
I just made public our FTC Part Library, but it only includes REV parts, since that is all we use.

You can search 'MKCad FTC' to find it and insert any of those parts into an assembly.

The only configurable part in there is the 15mm extrusion.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: