OCCRA
Go to Post Some people use Autodesk, some SolidWorks, some Pro-E, but 772 rose to the call of an unconventional CAD language, Minecraft. - Walter Deitzler [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2013, 01:51 PM
OZ_341's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
#0341 (Wissahickon)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
OZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: paper: FAQs Regarding the FRC District Competition System

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE View Post
...... I hate to compare FIRST to Burger King or Dunkin' Donuts, we could think of FIRST as following a franchise model.
FIRST is responsible for supplying the core product......
This is what is happening. MAR has generally been a positive experience, but I do think that FIRST needs to concede on some of the points that Jim has mentioned. We are paying a great deal of money and doing a ton of local work for the right to use this brand name.

Thank you Jim for all of the obvious work you have put into establishing the district model.
2016 Galileo Division, #6 Seed, 9 W - 1 L
2016 MAR District Innovation in Controls Award
2016 Westtown District Finalist (thank you 4954 & 484)
2016 Westtown District Imagery Award (It took 17 yrs)
2016 Hatboro District Judge's Award
Overall Record 49 W - 21 L
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2013, 02:15 PM
FRC 812/3476 Mentor
AKA: George
FRC #0812 (Midnight Mechanics)

Rookie Year: 2002
DCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jim! I know I badgered you with questions last year at Vex Worlds, this is very helpful.

2001-2005 FRC294 Beach Cities Robotics
2005-Present FRC812 Midnight Mechanics
2012, 2014 FRC3476 Code Orange
2003-Present Volunteer, FRC/FTC/FLL/VRC

NEMO | San Diego Regional | Orange County Regional | FIRST California
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Simplicity is Complicated!
AKA: Bryan Culver
FRC #0033 (The Killer Bees)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
BJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond reputeBJC has a reputation beyond repute

Great paper Jim,

I can't wait for the day when teams can just throw their robot in a van and ride over to their local FRC field to play pickup FRC matches.

Keep up the great work!
Regards, Bryan
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Let the MAYHEM begin!
FRC #1519 (Mechanical Mayhem)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2005
Ken Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond reputeKen Streeter has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to extend my THANKS to Jim and FiM for making this FAQ available to all teams. The document is informative, concise, and generally well-written (I can excuse a few typos!)

The FAQ is a good resource for teams both in and out of FiM.
2013 & 2012 North Carolina Regional Winners with teams 435 & 4828 and 1311 & 2642
2011, 2010, 2006 Granite State Regional Winners with teams 175 & 176, 1073 & 1058, and 1276 & 133
Team 1519 Video Gallery - including Chairman's Video, and the infamous "Speed Racer!"
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Build bridges not walls.
AKA: Carolyn Beyer
FRC #1024

Rookie Year: 2003
Carolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond reputeCarolyn_Grace has a reputation beyond repute

The end product is awesome. Thanks, Zondag. This will hopefully be a valuable resource for many areas just starting their own adventures into districtdom.
"It is change, continuing change, inevitable change, that is the dominant factor in society today. No sensible decision can be made any longer without taking into account not only the world as it is, but the world as it will be." -Isaac Asimov
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2013, 09:30 PM
FRC #2846 (FireBears)

Rookie Year: 2008
topgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant future

I really like your concluding points, especially 1 and 2. $4000 is a lot of money for a Regional, especially when the vast majority of the workers are volunteers. I would prefer much smaller entry fees and more competitions without the expensive media/show mentality.

Your 2nd concluding point is dead-on. Every year the students are so frustrated when we need to bag the robot at the end of the competition. They have just spent an intense three days and they know exactly what we want to do to make the robot better, and then it goes in the bag. My team doesn't build a second robot. Any changes we make have to be made outside of the competition robot and hopefully applied correctly at the next regional. System testing is essentially non-existant. There is so much learning that is being cut short by having to bag the robot at the end of a regional (assuming you have a 2nd regional to attend).

#22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2013, 01:22 AM
]\/[ Go Blue!
AKA: Solomon
FRC #1076 (Pi Hi Samurai)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2006
Zebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant futureZebra_Fact_Man has a brilliant future

Nothing that hasn't been said yet, but huge thanks for posting this. A massive amount of respect for all that you've done and continue to do with FIRST and FiM.
I absolutely love the district model, and every possible short-coming that I have identified about the model in the past few years (cost, state isolation, bag'n'tag) has just been explained here. Extremely useful document. Will be sharing with the rest of my team.

As a side note, if it's not being used to fund the FiM FRC competitions themselves, I'd really like to see where all our entry fee money is going to. For a school district with more than 68% of it's students on free/reduced lunch, and local industry in shambles/survival mode, it isn't easy to procure the needed funds to exist. We'd be more than happy to take a cut in the required funds needed department.

Mentor/Coach/Engineer
2014-2017: Team 1076 - Pi Hi Samurai
____ 2014: Team 5220 - The Rockets
2009-2014: Team 313 - The Bionic Union/Bionic Zebras
Student
2006-2009: Team 313 - The Bionic Union
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Team 967 Mentor
AKA: Dan Niemitalo
FRC #0967 (Iron Lions)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2009
Nemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond reputeNemo has a reputation beyond repute

I rarely read something that I so strongly agree with. Thanks for posting - it was quite enlightening.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2014, 06:46 AM
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2014
nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute

I just read this paper to help me understand the changes when Ontario moves to the district system next year. I'm not sure whether Ontario will use exactly the same model (is that published somewhere?), but the paper does a really good job of explaining the general idea and rationale. Thanks Jim.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: