OCCRA
Go to Post God bless the camera. That's all I gotta say. - Bharat Nain [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:33 PM
SomeoneWhoIsntMe
AKA: James Meintjes
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
SWIM is just really niceSWIM is just really niceSWIM is just really niceSWIM is just really niceSWIM is just really nice
Re: Team Update #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb222 View Post
I'm surprised this update didn't touch on G14!
They're leaving it in to act like the AWP in counterstrike.

A part of the gameplay so horribly imbalanced, everyone forgets about the other imbalances and just whines about that.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:36 PM
AKA: Sean
FRC #2415 (Wired Cats)
Team Role: Mentor

sdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond reputesdcantrell56 has a reputation beyond repute

It didn't touch on R06 either which I was hoping for.

Mentor 2415
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Team 1089 Alum. RU Class of 2015.
FRC #1089 (Team Mercury)

Rookie Year: 2007
flyingcrayons has much to be proud offlyingcrayons has much to be proud offlyingcrayons has much to be proud offlyingcrayons has much to be proud offlyingcrayons has much to be proud offlyingcrayons has much to be proud offlyingcrayons has much to be proud offlyingcrayons has much to be proud offlyingcrayons has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_I View Post
Please see the Team 811 motto (below)
Yes, that is a good motto for this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbitay View Post
Naw! While it may seem like that at face value; in my opinion, it promotes innovation and more thought. It's silly that most everyone has the same idea (as far as shielding, etc, go) yet think that they are all coming up with some great new idea. Just my two cents. Thanks for the update!
I agree... while it does increase the amount of thinking, it severly limits design ideas... this should be a fun game, but imo it will feature some wild crazy robots no one wou;d dream of... and some that are very similar to others... idk
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Robot/STEM troublemaker since 2001
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now run U.P. Robotics (other programs))

Rookie Year: 2001
Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schuetze View Post
I think what is troublesome to many veterans is that FIRST has always allowed some form of defense. Even last year when the object was to race around with trackballs and hurdle. Bonus points were earned for putting it back up at the end of the match. If played under this year's rules, once a trackball is up on the over-head it can't be knocked off.

So we have robot's towing trailers avoiding shots from human players on a surface that doesn't lend itself to control and rapid acceleration or changes in direction. Robots are limited to offense only. The only defense is backing yourself into a corner.
IMHO a lack of balance in game design.
No worries. Last I checked the Mars Rovers don't play any defense either and that's pretty cool stuff
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:53 PM
499 Founder / Alamo FTC & FLL AP
no team
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2001
Andrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schuetze has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Kressly View Post
No worries. Last I checked the Mars Rovers don't play any defense either and that's pretty cool stuff
I think rovers on Mars are way cool but you won't get a crowd of enthusiastic participants cheering as they trudge 150 meters a day. Some part of FIRST is the excitement of the event. Why else do they call it a game. Why do they have a game.
The game is not everything and the real purpose is to get the inolvement of students and mentors but if there is a lack of excitement in the game then lack of involvement.

Not the end of the world, not that I can't deal with the rules as they are, but I can still wish for more defensive options which imho will add excitement to the game.

Founder FRC 499
Parent alumni FRC 2745 & 4219
Co-Coach FTC 4549 & 6407
Alamo FTC Affiliate Partner
Alamo FLL Affiliate Partner
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:54 PM
FIRST on my mind
AKA: Evan Raitt
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
Tetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schuetze View Post
I think what is troublesome to many veterans is that FIRST has always allowed some form of defense. Even last year when the object was to race around with trackballs and hurdle. Bonus points were earned for putting it back up at the end of the match. If played under this year's rules, once a trackball is up on the over-head it can't be knocked off.

So we have robot's towing trailers avoiding shots from human players on a surface that doesn't lend itself to control and rapid acceleration or changes in direction. Robots are limited to offense only. The only defense is backing yourself into a corner.
IMHO a lack of balance in game design.
I kinda agree with you on this, but I don't think you can compare the scoring and tactics of two games that have little alike.

Imagine if we could put a plate over our trailers - Every team with half a brain would have to do that or else they will lose. Defense in this game is movement...Yea sure it's not super exciting to see 6 robots play "avoid" while every 15 seconds some robot makes a big score, but the last thing we need is to turn Lunacy into Zone Zeal where as long as you control all the goals and prevent any opponent scoring you win.

Last edited by Tetraman : 01-06-2009 at 05:59 PM.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Cogito ergo arbitro
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
GaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond reputeGaryVoshol has a reputation beyond repute

So I guess the Trailer Hitch has to be designed to be easily removeable, huh?
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 06:10 PM
FRC #1554

Rookie Year: 2007
lingomaniac88 has much to be proud oflingomaniac88 has much to be proud oflingomaniac88 has much to be proud oflingomaniac88 has much to be proud oflingomaniac88 has much to be proud oflingomaniac88 has much to be proud oflingomaniac88 has much to be proud oflingomaniac88 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWIM View Post
It sucks that you can't de-score balls.
It may suck, but I think that de-scoring game pieces isn't really the idea of the game. Besides, putting game pieces into your opponents' trailers would be more efficient, both timewise and pointwise, than removing game pieces from your alliance's trailers.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 06:16 PM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryVoshol View Post
So I guess the Trailer Hitch has to be designed to be easily removeable, huh?
I was hoping that FIRST was going to give the inspectors crowbars and reciprocating saws, in order to speed up the sizing of robots whose trailer hitches stick out too far.

Realistically, only if your robot is nearly 28 in wide, and has the trailer hitch on the 38 in side, will it have trouble fitting in the existing sizing boxes. Given that the materials required for the hitch are standardized, a standard weight could be deducted from robots weighed with a hitch. (I suppose that to use a standard weight like this, it would be prudent to specifically disallow modifications to the hitch design that would permit a small robot weight advantage to be gained by lightening it. On the other hand, it's the system weight that matters anyway, so it would only be a technical violation of the rules, rather than a meaningful one.)

Last edited by Tristan Lall : 01-06-2009 at 06:19 PM.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't receive an e-mail blast about Team Update 1. Did anyone?

Rookies don't know to look for this stuff, so remember to get the word out to your local rookie teams about the changes this update implements.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 07:28 PM
#include coffee.h
FRC #1745 (P51- Mustangs)

Stuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond repute

as a programmer Im wondering how Auto mode is going to work this year . . if robots cant place balls in bins? very confuseing
Proud mentor of Team #1745 the P-51 Mustangs

If at first it doesn't work, use a hammer.
If that doesn't work, use a bigger hammer.
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC Key Volunteer Trainer
AKA: CrazyNate
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Nate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Nate Smith Send a message via Yahoo to Nate Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
as a programmer Im wondering how Auto mode is going to work this year . . if robots cant place balls in bins? very confuseing
Robots can still put balls in, as I am reading the rules, but you just have to get more creative as far as how to do it...
returning for 2011? only time will tell...
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 07:38 PM
AKA: Rees
FRC #0340 (Greater Rochester Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2000
J.Rees has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Rees has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Rees has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Rees has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Rees has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Rees has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Rees has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Rees has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Rees has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Rees has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Rees has a reputation beyond repute

Iíve thought this one through & I think this is the first true competition where offense is the best strategy and pretty much the only strategy. (The only other one I can think of was 2001 & there is no point to playing defense on the only alliance on the field, yours.) I know some defense can be played & people will get creative but, I like when people canít rely on un-doing what someone has worked to do. I wonít say that that defense isnít a viable strategy for FIRST but donít be afraid to break out from what you know & innovate.

As for inspiration & the growth of FIRST, it will survive. I couldnít stand 2001 because it was dry but FIRST has done pretty well since then. They canít all be Aim High & First Frenzy.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 07:55 PM
#include coffee.h
FRC #1745 (P51- Mustangs)

Stuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond reputeStuart has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, the whole way that FIRST does team updates . . kinda feels like a waiter brings out your food, puts it in front of you. then just as you get your forks out, hurries to change your order because the chef wanted to make soup not steak . . kinda unprofessional. In this regard is where I really have to say BEST manages better than FIRST.

but ohh well. on to how to place balls while being at least 10 inches away from where they need to be.

Edit: to elaborate on BEST's team updates method. they have a Q&A much like FIRST where rules are clarified. Past that there are no updates to the official rules or additional rules. Once the game is out that is the game that will be played. If BEST had intended for teams not to steal they would ( and have in past games) simply said teams cannot remove game items from other teams scoring areas.
Proud mentor of Team #1745 the P-51 Mustangs

If at first it doesn't work, use a hammer.
If that doesn't work, use a bigger hammer.

Last edited by Stuart : 01-06-2009 at 08:08 PM.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Mentor, coach, whatever--
FRC #0233 ("The Pink Team")

Rookie Year: 1996
Kit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kit Gerhart

For now, it looks like the "fan suck down" idea is still legal, if we can make it work. Given that we have these two extra CIM motors that won't be needed for the drive train, I think it is still worth investigating.

The views I express here are mine, and mine alone, not those of my team, FIRST, or my previous teams.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: