OCCRA
Go to Post We're not behind, the rest of the world is ahead! Yeah. Thats it. - Curtis Williams [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 10:13 AM
FRC #6081 (Digital Dislocators)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2016
turbo1s1k is an unknown quantity at this point
Travel Hours Feedback

Our team is considering putting into place a team policy this season to require students to complete a certain amount of hours to be able to travel to competitions. We are a third-year team and typically meet Thurs. 3pm-6pm, Fri 3pm-6pm and Sat. 10am-4pm for a total of 12 weeks a week. We typically add more sessions if need be as we get down to the crunch.

Roughly we hit 100 hrs during build season. What is a good percentage of time to require students to meet? I want students to be committed to the team but I also understand that for some students robotics is not their only activity going on as an HS student.

I was frustrated last season when we had some students always committed and some students not so committed. What was the most frustrating was mentors were giving up time away from their families and some students would not show up to work on projects that a mentor was there to specifically with them on.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 10:25 AM
That was a short break
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
EricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travel Hours Feedback

During build our facility is open M, T, TH, and FR from 6pm-10pm and Sat from 10am-5pm. Tuesday is our mandatory day as we do a full team meeting, the rest of the time some sub teams meet and some don't. We have a requirement of 10 hours a week during build season, 5 hours during competition season ( B&T day and after) and an cumulative escalating service hours requirement of 10 for our 1st regional, 15 for our second regional, and 20 for champs should we make it. Service hours are cumulative on a rolling calendar year from May-April.

We've had problems of students just showing up and not doing anything to get their required hours so we've been looking at ways to designate what is "good time" vs "bad time" we want the students to be engaged and doing things while they are present and not just there because we require them to. So I would say pick a number that you feel most can achieve but also a number where students aren't just showing up because they have to put X number of hours in.

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 10:40 AM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

We have a 50% attendance requirement to travel with the team. That really boils down to attending all of the weekday meetings OR one weekday meeting plus our Saturday meeting each week. Like Eric, we've struggled with students showing up for hours without doing work. Rather than try to determine hours that count versus ones that don't, we've put more effort into coaching our student leaders so they keep everyone engaged during the meetings. For the most part it works.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Ready to STRIKE!
AKA: Rick Blight
FRC #0078 (AIR STRIKE)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Rick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond reputeRick has a reputation beyond repute

On 78, I tell the families its not the number of meetings your child attends - it's their effort at those meetings that will determine their child's role at an event.

Everyone one our team is allowed to come to the events. But if you are a spectator at build meetings, expect to be a spectator at the competitions.

Tracking hours requires a lot of overhead. Having a simple check-in sheet is as far as we go towards tracking attendance.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 10:49 AM
FRC #6420 (Fire Island Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MuskieProgramme is just really niceMuskieProgramme is just really niceMuskieProgramme is just really niceMuskieProgramme is just really niceMuskieProgramme is just really nice

We don't have a set requirement, but an expectation that you will come to at least 3 meetings a week (for at least an hour) for a total of 8+ hours / week. Anyone who does not meet this expectation will definitely be at a disadvantage for key roles, such as drive team or pit crew. They're not automatically denied the position, but someone who does meet the requirement will almost always win if the position is contested.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 11:10 AM
AKA: Allison Kneisler
FRC #3538 (Avondale RoboJackets)

Rookie Year: 2003
Allison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond repute

We have 8 scheduled hours per week May-Dec and 24 scheduled hours of meetings Jan-Apr. The baseline expectation is that every member is at 80% of scheduled meeting hours. The kids sign in and out on a google sheet that calculates total time as well as percentage. That said, time isn't tied to travel, nor is it enforced in a particularly rigid manner. We use the time as an indicator of things we actually care about, those being...
  • Is everybody actively engaged in communication channels and responsive to status posts?
  • Is everybody in the loop enough that they can be engaged in a task at meetings without needing to be caught up?
  • Is everybody in the loop enough that they are aware of the current state of tasks and projects (whats critical path, what is on schedule or behind, etc.)?
  • Will everybody be prepared to fill a competition role in season?
  • Is everybody on the team doing what they are able to do?
  • Is there an approximately equal distribution of effort amongst all team members?
  • Does anybody feel like they are carrying an undue burden because others arent pulling as much weight?
  • Is everybody present enough that they are emotionally connected to the collective vision and mission?

We've been emphasizing the hours less lately, as we've come to a realization that (at least for us) by using the time too rigidly we intimidate the most mature kids that have the capacity to understand the weight of those expectations, but are also most well suited to be really powerful team members. Authoritative/intimidating methods work really well for "stop" behaviors, but they aren't great for "start" behaviors.

The hours sheet is really cool for things like writing recommendation letters, presenting to sponsors and the board of education, etc. as we have their total hours over the course of their entire time on the team. It'll be really cool when our current little ones (elementary school right now) graduate as we'll have their lifetime total robotics hours.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 11:28 AM
\_(ツ)_/
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #3929 (Atomic Dragons); fmr. FRC #228 (GUS) & FRC #2791 (Shaker)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Id establish something on the order of 40% of the team hours. I would also allow students to do homework on site so they can get hours even if academically overwhelmed, but only if they actually do homework and not if they screw around. This is similar to how 2791 handles it.
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Regional Finalists (with 20, 3182), 2012 BAE Finalists (with 1519, 885)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Technical Director
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

We have a limit of 25 students traveling to events on school time. Many years, this is everyone. When the team is larger (e.g. 2015 we had 50+), we basically established a list of "varsity" who had earned their way on as we went. The list started out empty. The drive team went on early, as did the pit crew (selected by the sub-team leads, e.g. 2 from electrical, 2 from programming, 2 from mechanical), the Chairman's presenters, and scout lead. After all the critical positions were covered, we started with positions like spirit (mascots), more scouts, and coordinator of the craft table for the event. We would have probably added backup drive team, but IIRC, every one of them was on pit or chairman's.

Our basic shop time rules are that students shall attend all mandatory shop meetings (14-16 hrs per week until bag, a bit less afterwards depending on how much needs to be done) unless excused by the head coach in advance. You do get a couple of warnings before you're pulled.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 12-07-2017 at 02:36 PM. Reason: added word students to first sentence.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 01:17 PM
Lead Mentor/Engineer
AKA: Mr. Cool
FRC #1741 (Red Alert)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2011
MechEng83 has a reputation beyond reputeMechEng83 has a reputation beyond reputeMechEng83 has a reputation beyond reputeMechEng83 has a reputation beyond reputeMechEng83 has a reputation beyond reputeMechEng83 has a reputation beyond reputeMechEng83 has a reputation beyond reputeMechEng83 has a reputation beyond reputeMechEng83 has a reputation beyond reputeMechEng83 has a reputation beyond reputeMechEng83 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a tiered commitment requirement depending on team role in order to travel:

General team members are required to meet 60% of our scheduled build season hours
Subsystem captains are required to meet 75% of our scheduled build season hours
Team Captains are required to meet 90% of our scheduled build season hours

We have 134 hours schedule from kickoff through bag day, but we sometimes meet before/after hours or on "off" days, so it's really possible to get much higher than 100% or to make up for lost time.

I've only had 2 kids in the last 4 years not be able to travel because of commitment hours

2016 INWLA GP| INWCH Entrepreneurship | INPMH DCA | INCMP Team Spirit | CAGE Match Winner (w/ 1747 &868), Finalist (1471 w/ 1529 & 1018), Best Fans
2015 ININD Judges Award, Proud "Phyxed Red Card" alliance partners of 1529 & 1720 | INWLA EI | INCMP GP
2014 Boilermaker Creativity | Chesapeake Finalist, Safety, GP, Entrepreneurship | IN State Championship Winner (w/ 868 & 1018) | CAGE Match Winner (w/ 1024, 5402 & 1646)
2013 Boilermaker RCA, Innovation in Controls, Finalist | Crossroads Entrepreneurship | Newton Semi-finalist
2012 Boilermaker Entrepreneurship | Queen City EI | Curie Semi-finalist
2011 Boilermaker RCA, Entrepreneurship
Red Alert Robotics
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 02:24 PM
He who fixes with hammers #tsimfd
AKA: Devin Castellucci
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits and 5458 Digital Minds)

Rookie Year: 2005
RoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond reputeRoboChair has a reputation beyond repute

We have a 75% attendance policy to stay on the team and even then only 44 students are on travel team out of 80-150 students depending on year. Everyone gets to come to the Sacramento Regional as it is held in Davis where everyone lives, travel team members do their usual duties and everyone else volunteers at the event.

12 Years and counting! Over a third of my life has been spent with FRC.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 08:24 PM
FF: Questionable Decisionmakers
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Brian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond reputeBrian Maher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
Id establish something on the order of 40% of the team hours. I would also allow students to do homework on site so they can get hours even if academically overwhelmed, but only if they actually do homework and not if they screw around. This is similar to how 2791 handles it.
On 2791, the requirement is 40 hours during build season. We have three 5-hour weekday meetings, plus another weekday and Saturday toward the end of build. So this is just three weeks of attending all three weekday meetings or attending one each week and a couple more.

I'm pretty happy with 40 as the cutoff. It's not especially difficult but most students come into competition with a place.
2016: Tech Valley SF (5236, 2791, 3624) and Quality, Finger Lakes SF (5254, 2791, 2383), Battlecry Winner (195, 2791, 501), Robot Rumble Winner (2791, 195, 6463)

2012-2015, Student, FRC 1257 - Parallel Universe
2015: Mount Olive QF (1257, 1923, 1811) and Safety Award, North Brunswick Finalist (11, 193, 1257) and Team Spirit and Safety Awards
2014: Clifton Winner (1626, 869, 1257), MAR CMP QF (1257, 293, 303)
2013: TCNJ Safety Award
2012: Mount Olive QF (204, 303, 1257)

FF - Questionable Decisionmakers: 2017 SLFF Regular Season Champions (Elgin Clock Award), SLFF Championship Winners, and Fantasy FIM Finalists
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 08:45 PM
FRC #5826

tjwolter will become famous soon enoughtjwolter will become famous soon enough

This year will be the first time we have put a policy in place. To travel you have to have been at 50% of the meetings of your working group. We'll make exceptions where appropriate....for instance we will give bonus points for exemplary off season duty. But of course those are the students who will be at most all meetings anyway. If somebody is in academic trouble we'll give them credit even if they show up and study.
As I say, new policy, we'll see how it pans out.
T. Wolter
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 08:54 PM
Alumni, Mentor, Volunteer
FRC #6325 (Reset Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
BenDSterling will become famous soon enoughBenDSterling will become famous soon enough

We require that students attend 65% of meeting hours every week during build season in addition to our mandatory full-team meetings every Monday and Thursday. We have never had a problem with students meeting that. In fact, well over half of my students attend 90% or more of the meeting hours.

Edit: I should also add that team leadership is required to attend 80% of meeting hours, plus our weekly leadership meeting.
Lead Mentor: FRC Team Reset Robotics (#6325)
Head of Audio/Visual for Georgia FIRST Robotics
Head FTA for Georgia FTC
FIRST Alumni Advisory Committee Member
FIRST Updates Now Host

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 11:00 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Our travel requirements.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2017, 11:13 PM
Roboter
AKA: Mark Lavrentyev
FRC #4557 (FullMetal Falcons)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2015
Hitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko Ed View Post
Broken/ambiguous link?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: