OCCRA
Go to Post One of my management professors taught me this: At all times you are holding a bucket in each hand, one full of water, and one full of gasoline. Management is knowing when to throw which bucket. - Barry Bonzack [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM
FRC #0399 (Eagle Robotics)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2004
davidfv has a brilliant futuredavidfv has a brilliant futuredavidfv has a brilliant futuredavidfv has a brilliant futuredavidfv has a brilliant futuredavidfv has a brilliant futuredavidfv has a brilliant futuredavidfv has a brilliant futuredavidfv has a brilliant futuredavidfv has a brilliant futuredavidfv has a brilliant future
Why didn't we think of that?

I am doing a small project and would like some help. Every year, we see a robot feature, system, programming, or unique strategy that really helps a team. Sometimes it is very simple and others are pretty complicated and take some team skill and experience. No matter what it is, we look at that design and wonder if that would have made your robot a lot better. I am looking for those hidden features or characteristics of a robot or team.

So please tell about a unique feature of a robot, a team, or a strategy that made you say: ""Why didn't we think of that?"

Please tell me the team number and feature.

If I get enough responses, I will come back with a follow-up and maybe help you answer the question.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Official Scorekeeper
AKA: Larry Bolan
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
ratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why didn't we think of that?

469 and 51 in 2010. Also any Direct drive minibot in 2011.

DISCLAIMER: Any opinions/comments posted are solely my personal opinion and does not reflect the views/opinions of FIRST, IndianaFIRST, or any other organization.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 03:17 PM
More Torque!
AKA: Andrew Palardy (Most people call me Palardy)
VRC #3333
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
apalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond reputeapalrd has a reputation beyond repute

A few good ones:

-Several teams in 2012 were able to use a single mechanism to do many tasks, a great example of this is 67's utility arm.

-The minibot ramps in 2011 (inspired mostly by 233), along with the direct-drive minibot was one of the most copied in season designs I have seen in FRC.

I'll probably think of more, this is what I have so far.
FRC 33 - The Killer Bees - 2009-2012 Student, 2013-2014 Advisor
VEX IQ 3333 - The Bumble Bees - 2014+ Mentor

"Sometimes, the elegant implementation is a function. Not a method. Not a class. Not a framework. Just a function." ~ John Carmack
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Not so Custom User Title
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

Catapults in 2008 (1114, 1625, 16, and 118 were good examples). I know why my team didn't think about that, but it may be good for others to do that exercise.

2010: 67 after the buzzer lift or the 254&1114 3 second lift. Our lift was fast and accurrate, but 67, 1114, and 254 were in another league with the after the buzzer and PTO style lifters.

2011, the doubler roller claw with hinged jaw was popular on many top teams (111, 1114, 254, 33, 177?) and not present on lower performers (yes there were many good roller claws, and many good hinged claws, but only a handful of double roller hinged claws).

This year, Over the bumper collection 2012 (469, 341 I believe were good examples as well as many others).
2012: Stingers/Bridge assisters.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Mentor/Sponsor
AKA: Roy Dumlao
FRC #4543 (Apollo Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
roystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to roystur44

Here is a little circuit that helped the team out testing our prototypes and robot builds. I had been asking to purchase a high amp variable DC power supply $$$ to run motors while testing our prototypes without hooking up a crio, programming and all the electronics needed. Brian Silverman and his dad told me there is a easier way and drew up this circuit on a napkin and later made the box. What it does is generate a PWM signal that is variable with the use of a pot. We can safely control motor speed with a Jag or Victor without hooking up all the electronics.

I can't tell you how great a device this thing is. I saw so many shooter videos where people just touched bare wires to a battery to get their shooter motor runnning.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10454...394?banner=pwa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibuAAnxgExQ

Mentor/Sponsor
2006-2012 971
2013-2017 4543

Last edited by roystur44 : 05-09-2012 at 04:35 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Programmer
AKA: Colin Ross
FRC #3098 (The Captains)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2010
Ross3098 will become famous soon enoughRoss3098 will become famous soon enough

+ 1 - Team 67's hanging mechanism in 2010. I mean come on, scoring a hang AFTER the buzzer??

This year 469's ball intake doubled as a rebound catcher. I also believe 548,330, and 1504 deserve mention. Their ball intake and shooters were integrated into the same system.
2012 Waterford District: 2nd Pick, Finalist. Thanks 573, 3601!
2011 Waterford District: 8th seed, 1st pick, Semi Finalist. Thanks to 573 and 3770
2011 Ann Arbor District: 2nd seed, Finalist. Thanks to 548 and 247.
2011 Michigan State Championship: Semi Finalist. Thanks to 548 (Again) and 74.
2011 FIRST World Championship: 8th seed, Quarterfinalist. Thanks to 74(Again) and 846.

Last edited by Ross3098 : 05-09-2012 at 04:08 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Gary Dillard's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generator of Entropy
AKA: you know, the old bald guy
FRC #2973 (The Mad Rockers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Gary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Gary Dillard

This year team 180 hooked up a "photon cannon" (aka, bright flashlight) to aim at the backboard, which they found gave much better realtime feedback to the driver of his target aim point than the camera (and reduced the amount of data they had to send through the radio). Team 25 saw the design at the Orlando Regional and copied it with fairly decent success.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Not so Custom User Title
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by roystur44 View Post
I can't tell you how great a device this thing is.
Cough, AndyMark, Cough, How much, cough...
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Build Nifty Things
FRC #0971

Rookie Year: 2005
Aren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKE View Post
Catapults in 2008 (1114, 1625, 16, and 118 were good examples). I know why my team didn't think about that, but it may be good for others to do that exercise.

2010: 67 after the buzzer lift or the 254&1114 3 second lift. Our lift was fast and accurrate, but 67, 1114, and 254 were in another league with the after the buzzer and PTO style lifters.

Our 08 bot was actually a puncher

We also had a similar method of powering our lift to 67 in 2010, eerily similar, it was fun when we paired up at IRI with them, pulled off a double after buzzer lift in the semi's i believe.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:03 PM
AKA: Josh P.
FRC #1675 (Ultimate Protection Squad)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
BigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aren_Hill View Post
Our 08 bot was actually a puncher
;_;

I can't believe we didn't really think of over-bumper pickup this year. We also didn't think of a slanted ball elevator, although we were originally going to rotate our whole tower.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Mentor
FRC #0987 (High Rollers)

Rookie Year: 2005
Hjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond reputeHjelstrom has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully this isn't against any rules but I've been making something exactly like this for about 10 years now:

http://www.robotlogic.com/product_servotester.html

Quote:
Here is a little circuit that helped the team out testing our prototypes and robot builds. I had been asking to purchase a high amp variable DC power supply to run motors while testing our prototypes without hooking up a crio, programming and all the electronics needed. Brian Silverman and his dad told me there is a easier way and drew up this circuit on a napkin and later made the box. What it does is generate a PWM signal that is variable with the use of a pot. We can safely control motor speed with a Jag or Victor without hooking up all the electronics.

I can't tell you how great a device this thing is. I saw so many shooter videos where people just touched bare wires to a battery to get their shooter motor runnning.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10454...394?banner=pwa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibuAAnxgExQ
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:14 PM
AKA: JC
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
JCharlton is a splendid one to beholdJCharlton is a splendid one to beholdJCharlton is a splendid one to beholdJCharlton is a splendid one to beholdJCharlton is a splendid one to beholdJCharlton is a splendid one to beholdJCharlton is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
What it does is generate a PWM signal that is variable with the use of a pot. We can safely control motor speed with a Jag or Victor without hooking up all the electronics.

I'm impressed with what you made there, but I took the lazy way out

http://servocity.com/html/dual_servo_driver.html

Like you say, great for all sorts of tests.

For any teams still hooking straight to batteries, get yourself a small 12V battery for this, not as dangerous as the competition batteries and easier to pack around too.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:37 PM
AKA: Brendan Browne
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)

BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dillard View Post
This year team 180 hooked up a "photon cannon" (aka, bright flashlight) to aim at the backboard, which they found gave much better realtime feedback to the driver of his target aim point than the camera (and reduced the amount of data they had to send through the radio). Team 25 saw the design at the Orlando Regional and copied it with fairly decent success.
Correct me if I am wrong, they used a bright flashlight to shine on the target and lined up visually with said target instead of using camera tracking?

I wish we could have redone our drop down intake to double as skid plates for going over the bump like 233, 33, or even powerful enough to lift ourselves over the bump like 67. I felt like we spent a lot of time working on a custom frame to cross the bump which paid off, but it would have been a lot easier to use the kit frame and put more effort into the intake/bump crossing mechanism.

Member of the New England FRC community? Join the FRC New England Alliance Facebook Group
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:39 PM
FRC #1730 (Team Driven)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
theawesome1730 will become famous soon enough

For motor testing on prototypes, we have some little 12 volt black and decker drills that we modified with a lead and anderson connecters. They work quite well and are small and portable. Since it is a drill, you can change the polarity easily too by using the direction control. Only downside is that they run out of juice fairly quickly. Another thing we did is have a passive bridge manipulator. We have a wide faced bot so our tower slides out to make an almost square robot for balance. The bridge manipulator is a drop down from the slide out that rotates back to make an inclined plane when we hit the bridge.

2017 GKC Chairman's Award
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:41 PM
FRC #1730 (Team Driven)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
theawesome1730 will become famous soon enough

Oh yeah and this is the first year we started using anderson connectors and it has been a godsend! Changing and powering motors is so much easier.

2017 GKC Chairman's Award
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: