OCCRA
Go to Post It is not necessary to draw 200 amps to move a robot through a two minute match. Rule of thumb is you robot should be able to compete for three matches without a battery change. - Al Skierkiewicz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Reader of Things
AKA: Victoria
FRC #1939 (Kuhnigits)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
vhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond reputevhcook has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why didn't we think of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theawesome1730 View Post
For motor testing on prototypes, we have some little 12 volt black and decker drills that we modified with a lead and anderson connecters. They work quite well and are small and portable. Since it is a drill, you can change the polarity easily too by using the direction control. Only downside is that they run out of juice fairly quickly.
We did a variant on this, using a robot battery, appropriate connectors on the battery and motor side, and a drill handle. Here's the build video our mechanical and electrical captain, Izzy, made. That runs for quite a while, since you're not using a drill battery.

I really wish I'd thought of flashlight aiming and passive bridge manipulators.

Last edited by vhcook : 05-09-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: forgot to shorten quote to relevant bit
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Join the kevolution!!!
AKA: Tommy Ikuss
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2009
MIT_MAN is a jewel in the roughMIT_MAN is a jewel in the roughMIT_MAN is a jewel in the roughMIT_MAN is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanB View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, they used a bright flashlight to shine on the target and lined up visually with said target instead of using camera tracking?

I wish we could have redone our drop down intake to double as skid plates for going over the bump like 233, 33, or even powerful enough to lift ourselves over the bump like 67. I felt like we spent a lot of time working on a custom frame to cross the bump which paid off, but it would have been a lot easier to use the kit frame and put more effort into the intake/bump crossing mechanism.
Us (25) and SPAM were the Flashlight alliance! haha And yes, the flashlight/headlight would paint a bright beam (or spot in SPAM's case) on the backboard and we both used these lights quite effectively to line up our shooters. The incredibly bright beams (We used a 100 watt halogen headlight and spam a modified maglite flashlight), combined with the reflective tape on the backboards, made it a very viable and effective strategy.
2011- Virginia and Newton Winners
2010- New Jersey and Vegas Winners

#18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:33 PM
\_(ツ)_/
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #3929 (Atomic Dragons); fmr. FRC #228 (GUS) & FRC #2791 (Shaker)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily over the bumper but a drop down intake would have been nice. The "CD7" intake in particular was really cool. I'd consider designing it in such a way that it was motorized rather than pneumatic and could go far enough down to push the bridge as well. It'd take some development and thought.

The bridge arm 2791 used worked but was just barely strong enough and didn't work nearly as effectively as a wedge manipulator. I wish we went the simple route on that one.
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Regional Finalists (with 20, 3182), 2012 BAE Finalists (with 1519, 885)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:42 PM
AKA: Brendan Browne
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)

Rookie Year: 2003
BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT_MAN View Post
Us (25) and SPAM were the Flashlight alliance! haha And yes, the flashlight/headlight would paint a bright beam (or spot in SPAM's case) on the backboard and we both used these lights quite effectively to line up our shooters. The incredibly bright beams (We used a 100 watt halogen headlight and spam a modified maglite flashlight), combined with the reflective tape on the backboards, made it a very viable and effective strategy.
Thanks! Our team didn't have vision tracking working this season so we did a manual line up with a yellow flagpole mounted on the robot. Ingenious idea using a flashlight to light up the target!

Member of the New England FRC community? Join the FRC New England Alliance Facebook Group
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:51 PM
WPILib
AKA: Sam Carlberg
no team

Djur will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
;_;

I can't believe we didn't really think of over-bumper pickup this year. We also didn't think of a slanted ball elevator, although we were originally going to rotate our whole tower.
I think 2084 was the only team with a slanted elevator. (Although we did have a very different take on "ball elevator" than most teams.)
Spoiler for a huge image:

#21   Spotlight this post!  
I'm parking robot yacht club.
FRC #4991 (Robot Yacht Club)

Rookie Year: 2004
Conor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

Andy Baker is literally a pro on this topic, see some of his presentations on the FIRST site, CD-Media, and Andymark.

The history of FRC Design is my favorite presentation.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
AKA: Simon Bohn
FRC #0639 (Code Red)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
Grim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond repute

I started a thread on this a while back, but it seems that every year, there is a feature/design that is missed by the vast majority of teams.

In 2012 they were:
  • Drop Down Intake
  • Stinger
  • Traction on the bridge

In 2011 they were:
  • Minibot pre-deployment/ramp
  • Taking the gearboxes off of the minibot
  • Roller claws or other active tube acquisition device

In 2010 they were:
  • Tunnel traversing
  • Hanging off the side of the tower
  • Active ball possession device

Last edited by Grim Tuesday : 05-10-2012 at 05:37 PM.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:05 PM
All I do is twin.
AKA: elixir
Team Role: College Student

Alexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alexa Stott

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendanB View Post
Thanks! Our team didn't have vision tracking working this season so we did a manual line up with a yellow flagpole mounted on the robot. Ingenious idea using a flashlight to light up the target!
We worked very closely with our friends on team 103 this year. As a programmer, I worked a lot on their robot as well as ours and they actually had the camera on it for vision tracking (though that particular bit of programming was done by Bharat Nain). Their drive coach also really liked being able to see the camera feed during the match. We considered implementing it on ours after a rough showing in Orlando, but decided not to after our first few matches at Lenape (our first event with the headlight) went well.

It was really awesome to be paired up with SPAM at Championships as that design decision completely turned around our season and was a huge factor in use even qualifying for CMP this year (of course, we also could not have done it without our excellent alliance partners at Mt. Olive and MAR Champs).

Back on topic:

In 2009, we sort of missed the mark with our robot design. We had a shooter that could only shoot one ball at a time. It was accurate, but we just could not compete with all the dumper bots who would score 10 balls in 2 seconds.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Previously of 422
AKA: Jonas
FRC #0190 (190)

Meshbeard is a name known to allMeshbeard is a name known to allMeshbeard is a name known to allMeshbeard is a name known to allMeshbeard is a name known to allMeshbeard is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by theawesome1730 View Post
Oh yeah and this is the first year we started using anderson connectors and it has been a godsend! Changing and powering motors is so much easier.
I've recently started paying attention to other teams on a more national scale, and I realized that not all teams use the Anderson Powerpole connectors. It just blew my mind how such high level teams could compete without using them. I'm used to them because my team has used them ever since I joined. I guess I just took for granted that most teams use them, seeing how helpful they are. I recommend them to any team who wants to make their electronics so much easier.

link:
http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-po...owerpole-sets/
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIT_MAN View Post
Can you explain how this works? Were you looking through the driver station feed or at the backboard itself? (the latter seems difficult to me with the nature of the retro-reflective tape)

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Serial CD-Media tagger

Kristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond reputeKristian Calhoun has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kristian Calhoun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenGregoryIV View Post
Can you explain how this works? Were you looking through the driver station feed or at the backboard itself? (the latter seems difficult to me with the nature of the retro-reflective tape)
We had no camera on our robot and did not rely on the retro-reflective tape (though it did help increase visibility). Our headlight projected a vertical beam of light that our driver used to visually align the robot with the goal using the light's reflection off of the backboard itself.

Last edited by Kristian Calhoun : 05-09-2012 at 09:04 PM.
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Pockets
AKA: Samuel Lijin
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)

Rookie Year: 2010
slijin is a splendid one to beholdslijin is a splendid one to beholdslijin is a splendid one to beholdslijin is a splendid one to beholdslijin is a splendid one to beholdslijin is a splendid one to beholdslijin is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Tuesday View Post
In 2011 they were:
  • Minibot pre-deployment/ramp
  • Taking the gearboxes off of the minibot
  • Roller claws or other active tube acquisition device

In 2010 they were:
  • Tunnel traversing
  • Hanging off the side of the tower
In 2011, the opening dual roller claw was the real deal. Rotation allowed teams to deliver tubes no matter what orientation they were acquired with, and the opening allowed them to drop tubes onto the pegs.

In 2010, 469 took the cake with their redirector; quick hangers, especially 67's passive one, were also arguably the best ones.

From what I've seen/heard, 2009 was the year where rapid ball dispensing, as opposed to a turret, was the better option.

2010-12 CT Chairman's
2011 Galileo 5th seed
2010 NY Regional Winners
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:03 PM
AKA: Cam Pizzo
FRC #3173 (IgKNIGHTers)

cmrnpizzo14 has a reputation beyond reputecmrnpizzo14 has a reputation beyond reputecmrnpizzo14 has a reputation beyond reputecmrnpizzo14 has a reputation beyond reputecmrnpizzo14 has a reputation beyond reputecmrnpizzo14 has a reputation beyond reputecmrnpizzo14 has a reputation beyond reputecmrnpizzo14 has a reputation beyond reputecmrnpizzo14 has a reputation beyond reputecmrnpizzo14 has a reputation beyond reputecmrnpizzo14 has a reputation beyond repute

braking system for 2012 so that double balancing a robot turns into a single balance. Also for Co-op bridge, there is a guaranteed 1 point for both robots being supported by the bridge after play stops. Check out 3173's robot who used this very successfully at the championships and I believe that 108 also used it.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:07 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Gray Adams is a splendid one to beholdGray Adams is a splendid one to beholdGray Adams is a splendid one to beholdGray Adams is a splendid one to beholdGray Adams is a splendid one to beholdGray Adams is a splendid one to beholdGray Adams is a splendid one to behold

For 2012, it would have to be over the bumper intake. It may have come up once or twice as a comment during a discussion, but we never really looked at it.

I spent about an hour playing with under the bumper intake though.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2012, 09:38 PM
AKA: Brendan
FRC #0548 (Robostangs)
Team Role: Alumni

Bjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond reputeBjenks548 has a reputation beyond repute

548 finally got one these this year and there's one reason why. Speed... What is the fastest way I can accomplish this task. This takes care of the 2009 dump, 2010 side hang, 2011 jaw (opening roller claw), and the 2012 over the bumper pickup. Asking not only how best to do something but how fast should help more teams figure out these little things that most people seem to miss.
Toronto Regional quarter finalists. Northville Winners/ Chairman's Winners. Troy Finalist/ GM Industrial Design Award. Michigan State Championship Finalists. CMP Newton Division winners! Triple Balance count 13. Thanks to 1075, 4307, 67, 3656, 217, 2604, 2054, 245, 118, and 2194! Photo credit for my avatar Dan Ernst

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: