OCCRA
Go to Post If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room! - Ian Curtis [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in contributing to a FIRST Robotics magazine?
Very interested, would submit material weekly. 46 29.68%
Somewhat interested, would submit material occasionally. 80 51.61%
Would love to see it happen but would not contribute. 25 16.13%
Don't think its worth it. 4 2.58%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
  #46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2002, 09:40 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
GregT will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GregT
Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon Martus
I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but thinking of news & approvals & all that kinda stuff, I keep thinking of phpNuke.

Its sort of like slashdot and slash code.. basically a portal, with news headlines, etc..

Its fully customizable, and open-source, so you could possibly use it as a base platform, and customize/build up from there..

phpNuke
Why not build our own? PHP-NUKE is great, if you want a form site... have you guys figured out where your gonna get hosting with a database (and php i assume)?
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2002, 11:45 PM
Wayne C.'s Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
hey- I think we did pretty good?
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

Rookie Year: 1997
Wayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up more ideas for what they're worth

From reading the posts above it seems like you have a bunch of guys across the nation who really want to do this thing. That's truly great.

Perhaps you might consider having each regional writer make a particular "column" and post it as a web page in it's own right. That way they have a certain autonomy and can edit freely. Some sort of central style sheet should probably be developed so the pages have some continuity and submissions are easily processed by your staff. You might plan to sit down and hash this out in Orlando.

The main editor would have a central hub link page which would headline each of the departments and hyperlink out to all those subsidiary pages. Of course each page would archive old articles somewhere in their individual sites so they can be accessed forever.

Hosting fees would be raised by some sort of group fund raiser. Selling ad space on the pages would probably cover it. If you host like we do, we are probably talking less than $100/year per department.

As a long term newsletter editor for a number of hobby groups, let me just warn you all however. At first these ideas are really exciting and everybody wants in. A year down the road when deadlines are getting tougher and tougher to meet the thrill tends to disappear, as do the writers. That is why I made the suggestion above- let a variety of new writers always be adding to the collection.

If you all can get organized and get the ball rolling my guys would be happy to promote the magazine here in the NE and we would certainly lend a hand where needed. We have a related idea already in the works for the coming year- more on that in the near future.

Get typing!!!!

WC
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2002, 12:09 AM

Daishichimaru is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Daishichimaru
Thumbs up

Like the idea! Sign me on for the software Q&A corps.
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2002, 12:14 AM
no team (NEW Apple Corps)
Team Role: Alumni

Katie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Katie Reynolds Send a message via Yahoo to Katie Reynolds
I'm really interested in helping out/writing for this webzine! Lemme know what you need! I'd love to interview/talk with teams or people... My email address is FIRSTae2004@yahoo.com

- Katie
Team #93 - NEW Apple Corps
Student - 2001-2004
Team #857 - Superior Roboworks
Mentor - 2006-2009
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2002, 06:19 AM
Ken Leung's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Dare to Live!
FRC #0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ken Leung
Post I like how it's spreading words of FIRST...

I think it's a pretty cool idea from Colleen and Robby how this magazine is used to show people about scientist and technology, just like what FIRST is doing to us. I really like the idea how it's a compliment to FIRST, and spreading our name at the same time.

Robby said scientist should be treated like super heroes. I think that's a good idea too, since so many people have no ideas who are the scientist/mathematician/engineers responsible for shaping the world like it is today. I know they aren't directly related to FIRST, but think about it, if it weren't for them, then we wouldn't have this competition today with all these technology we are learning. Think about what would happen if no one ever made use of electricity, or discover theories about magnetism.

Mean while, I think we want to get people to want to get this magazine. We can do all the insider stories all we want, but outsiders won't have a clue what we are talking about. If we are telling stories about this team at that competition, or certain ruling made by FIRST, then only FIRST participants are interested in it.

We already got this forum, and the white paper section, chat room, nuts4first and other places we can have insider talks about this competition... So, why not improve and create more different forums and chat rooms to recognize different teams and their effort, and use the magazine to help introduce FIRST to the outside world?

I think that's why we should do this magazine for FIRST instead of for ourselves. If you want to write technical stuff about the robot, submit it to the white paper or nuts4FIRST, if we want to recognize teams effort, we can set up a website to do such things.

With so many people wanting to do different things, I don't think it will hurt to have multiple things going on.

Mean while, the thing we need right now is a couple of person to... take charge, or "take the blame" so to speak. We have good ideas, but we are afraid that it won't work and ended up doing a bad job. Well, I say we get someone to step up and stop that worrying people have. It will be nice if there's someone to tell us what to do, and us writers just do our job.

I am still thinking between having one person, or having a group of few people... The thing about working with a group is that we can get different ideas and view points... people can check each other's work and make it right. The downside is, however, in a small group people tend to be worry that others won't agree with him/her, so they feel the need to get approval of others while they don't feel free enough to just do the thing they want to...

Having just one person is the exact opposite of that....

Ups and downs... What do you think?
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2002, 08:51 AM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus
Quote:
Originally posted by GregT

have you guys figured out where your gonna get hosting with a database (and php i assume)?
my suggestion:

venturesonline.com

I know of 4 sites hosted there, and I'm totally pleased with their service, uptime, speed, etc.
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2002, 11:42 AM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)

Justin 188 will become famous soon enough
I am interested in the layout & graphic design part of it. I've done a few websites, and various different graphic design projects. Dunno if being all the way up in Toronto would get in the way of participating..?

Last edited by Justin 188 : 03-16-2002 at 11:46 AM.
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2002, 11:49 AM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)

Justin 188 will become famous soon enough
A main "team" is always better - you'll never get a group of people who always agree with each other 100% (heck i bet everybody knows that from their team). Also, the pressure & workload will be divided amongst a few people, rather than put all on one person.
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2002, 07:22 PM
FIRST Fanatic
AKA: Gene Falendysz
#0343 (Metal in Motion)
Team Role: Engineer

Gene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Gene F
The time has come where we need people to make a firm commitment. We need people to step up and state what subject they are going to write about and in what time frame. Something like:

I <your name> commit to write an article about <your topic> for the FIRST magazine by <when you will have it done>.

If you are committing to write a recurring column please state the frequency at which you will submit.

I Gene Falendysz commit to organize a draft copy containing your articles for review within 7 days of receiving enough copy to fill 10 8.5 X 11 pages.

We also need people to make a commitment to participate as editorial staff. (A visionary board to set direction for the magazine and review committee for the submitted articles.) We should aim to limit this group to no more than 7.

As soon as we get at least 4 people committed to the editorial staff I will organize a net meeting of some sort to review the direction of this thing. The first goal of this group will be to develop a mission statement for this magazine.

Gene
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2002, 07:40 PM
no team

junkyarddawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Excellent Idea!

I think an online magazine focusing on FIRST is an excellent idea.

Tim Gates
Team #288
RoboDawgs
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2002, 08:56 PM
Bitter FIRST Cynic
no team

Jon Lawton is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Jon Lawton Send a message via AIM to Jon Lawton
Quote:
Originally posted by GregT

Why not build our own? PHP-NUKE is great, if you want a form site... have you guys figured out where your gonna get hosting with a database (and php i assume)?
I agree here. It would be really cool to code our own php "content management system" (blah buzzword). Somone I know has written his own: http://www.qzx.com/cms/ (source at http://www.qzx.com/zap/ ). I haven't set this up for myself, though, so I can't really vouch for it.

What kind of traffic are we looking at? More to the point, Brandon, how much bandwidth does chiefdelphi.com utilize? I might be able to provide hosting on a nice server (what www.theapesofwrath.org) is on...

I know php, and PostgreSQL, and am willing to contribute however I can.
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2002, 09:12 PM
#0122 (Nasa Knights)

srawls is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to srawls
I, Stephen Rawls, commit to write a PBasic article by April 7. Note: I could do it in a shorter time if needed, I just thought I'd give myself extra time since I've got regionals to go to and shchool work to do.

Stephen
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2002, 03:20 AM
None #0064 (The Gila Monsters)
Team Role: Animator

Sunny Thaper is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Sunny Thaper
Cool

Sorry for replying so late in this discussion but I was tied up with the animation side of FIRST, which I think should also get some play into this as well as the Legos thing which I know absolutely nothing of. I have worked professionally with ASP and am quite confident with my ability to create a fully functional and unique E-Zine system in which no one would have to know anything about HTML or other languages. My only problem arises from time, hopefully there is someone else who knows about ASP. ASP is basically like PHP but it is catered for the Windows platform and is in my opinion easier to work with. You can contact me at Sunny@IamTtam.com if you would like to talk further with me.
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2002, 01:18 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel
I, Jeff Wetzel, commit to being on an editorial staff.
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2002, 02:05 PM
AKA: Mike O'Brien
FRC #1086 (Blue Cheese)
Team Role: Engineer

Mike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Mike o. Send a message via Yahoo to Mike o.
What I am commited to.

I am basicly commited to anything that might need to be done. I am very able to work on editing, writing, researching, and other things, all in all almost all tasked that are to be completed. well i will get to yall later.

Mike O'Brien
Team 384
2009 CMP Team Spirit Award; VA Regional Winner & Chairman's Award
2008 VA Regional Winner & Chairman's Award
2007 & 2006 VA Delphi "Driving Tomorrow's Technology" Award
2005 VA Team Spirit Award; 2004 VA Imagery Award; 2003 Rookie Year

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: