OCCRA
Go to Post Ok, I am geting flustered since I can't perform trigonometric functions with the tools FIRST provides. - jweric [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in contributing to a FIRST Robotics magazine?
Very interested, would submit material weekly. 46 29.68%
Somewhat interested, would submit material occasionally. 80 51.61%
Would love to see it happen but would not contribute. 25 16.13%
Don't think its worth it. 4 2.58%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
  #106   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-12-2002, 04:29 PM
AKA: Mike O'Brien
FRC #1086 (Blue Cheese)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Mike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Mike o. Send a message via Yahoo to Mike o.
Magazine

Hey guys, well this is great. i think that we will be able to have something here. i myself wouldnt mind writing an article. some of the articles that i see that we could have for this FIRST issue are the topics of Nats new location and the EDURobot. I also see that we could possibly have maybe tech news. really dont know what we could talk about, and we should maybe have a calendar of some sort to let teams know when things are happening. i also believe that maybe we should have like Joe said, a opinion article of some sort, and just things about FIRST. Really dont know what to say right now. i also think that another goal for right now should also be a layout of how we are going to set this up. So many things and soo many good IDEAS. I can tell that this is going to be one great thing here. We will be successful, i hope.

Mike
2009 CMP Team Spirit Award; VA Regional Winner & Chairman's Award
2008 VA Regional Winner & Chairman's Award
2007 & 2006 VA Delphi "Driving Tomorrow's Technology" Award
2005 VA Team Spirit Award; 2004 VA Imagery Award; 2003 Rookie Year
  #107   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-12-2002, 05:05 PM
Ken Leung's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Dare to Live!
FRC #0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ken Leung
Since we started talking about this again, the following people have expressed interest in helping out:

Katie Reynolds
Jeremy Roberts
Mike O'Brien
Joel J. (anything but writing an article, right?)
Mike Murphy
Gene F. (busy, but we could ask Gene for advise)
JosephM (full name?)
Mr. Ivey
Me

And it seems like everyone is voting to do a website for this.

Mike and Gene brought up some important points on how we should start. Having a layout of how we are setting this up is important, in terms of the lay out for the mag and the group. At the same time, we need contents for the mag, so we know what we have to lay out the mag, and we can only get content if people are willing to write them.

We can start with doing a few simple topics first, and see who are willing to write which topic. Should be simple enough, and let's just say this is a "test run" of the mag.

Few specific topics people want to see writen:

Championship Event moving to a new location
EDURobot
Spot light on teams(?)
Opinion page

Are there any other suggestions what we can do in the "test run" issue? I think 3~5 article would be a good number to start with.

Also, before we can make a website, we will need a web master and a place to put the website on. For now, we can easily post articles by posting them in the forum, or in e-mail, which we have to do if we can't find someone willing to help make a web page.

What do you guys think?

1999-2001: Team 192 Gunn Robotics Team
2001-2002: Team 100, 192, 258, 419
2002-2004: Western Region Robotics Forum, Score Keeper @ Sac, Az, SVR, SC, CE, IRI, CalGames
2003-2004, 2006-2007: California Robot Games Manager
2008: MC in training @ Sac, CalGames
2009: Master of Ceremony @ Sac, CalGames
2010: GA in training @ SVR, Sac.
2010-2011: Mechanical Mentor, Team 115 MVRT
  #108   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-12-2002, 06:13 PM
FRC #1086 (Blue Cheese)

Mike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud of
Lightbulb Magazine

All these ideas are great. I myself think that first we should establish what i want to call positions. this will help with our structure and the ability to get things done. I think we should establish who will be incharge of this operationk, either it being one, two, or even three people. We could make these people the Chief Editor(s). then we also need writers/ journalists, photogs(photographers), and someone to come up with the design. We also need a webmaster, this is the person that the Chief Editor(s) will give all the articles to. We also need to establish a format for sending in articles. i know that not all of us are using a windows based machine with word or something like that on it. I know some of us are using macs that they own or are issued by the county (ie ME, but i also use word at home on my desktop). So what will be our standard format. We should consider, RTF, HTML, DOC, etc. I also think that we need to establish a place on the magazine that has ways that people know who is who and how to reach us. This will be very important in the future. I also think that we should start sending out group emails, and maybe even start our own group at yahoo, or somewhere, so that we can have a place that we can go and talk to eachother, and post questions, deadlines, things that need to be done, and just a place that we can talk about things to come. What does everyone think about this? Hell, i know of a free forum site, aint that great, but we could have our own forum for us, and we could have news and things like that there, and that is also were we could submit our finished articles and stuff. What does everyone think about that??? We need opinions here, we need to hear the voice of all. Well im gots to go now, but i will be on, and everyone add me to their AIM, if they have it. We need to keep in touch.

AIM: anrchist camera

Mike
  #109   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-12-2002, 06:23 PM
Wake Up Get Up Get Out There
no team

Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute
Full Name: Joseph Matt
AIM: JWM1314
E-Mail: JosephM1314@yahoo.com
Motto: Will Work 4 Segway (hint hint)

I would love to do the chamionship article, but only if you think it's ok since my views might cause a stir. Also for tech, I'm not thinking just gadgets, but also neato geeky things like the new Mission:Space attraction at Epcot, 3D LCD's, and other sweet things.

But here lies the question. Monthly publications or a 'post when recieved' type approach with a .pdf or Mag comming monthly with more articles and pics, or just a .pdf or Mag, or just the 'post when recieved?
  #110   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-12-2002, 08:08 PM
Dare to Live!

Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
e-mail list

Just sent out an e-mail to the original e-mail list for the people who are interested. Please give us your e-mail address if you aren't on the list already. Colleen, Robby, and Gene were the 3 person who were willing to take charge of the project, but Gene told us he's busy, and we haven't heard from Colleen and Robby. Hopefully they will see the e-mail I just sent out and tell us if they are willing to take charge of the project again.

2002-2004: Western Region Robotics Forum, Score Keeper @ Sac, Az, SVR, SC, CE, IRI, CalGames
  #111   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-12-2002, 11:19 PM
FRC #1086 (Blue Cheese)

Magazine

Here is a place that we could possible use, what does everyone think. If we decide to use it, this is were we will have updates, threads, and things like that. all our ideas will then be posted up there. so what does everyone think, everyone please give feedback.

http://firstmag.conforums.com

go there, check it out, and tell us what you think

Mike
  #112   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-12-2002, 11:22 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus
Re: Magazine

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike o.

go there, check it out, and tell us what you think
every time i load a page -- i get a message telling me to turn off my pop-up killer.
  #113   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-12-2002, 11:33 PM
no team (NEW Apple Corps)
Team Role: Alumni

Katie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Katie Reynolds Send a message via Yahoo to Katie Reynolds
OK, here's the deal:

I talked to Ken tonight, and we really want to make this magazine happen! So here is what we are going to do. If you are interested in helping out with a magazine, sign up on the FIRST Robotics Magazine Forums. Then, on Monday (12/16/02) at 8 pm (CST -- that means 9 pm for those of you who are right-coasters, and 6 pm for those of you who are left-coasters!) meet in the FIRST Tigerboly chatroom to discuss ideas and what needs to be done in order to make this idea a reality.

See you on Monday!

- Katie
Team #93 - NEW Apple Corps
Student - 2001-2004
Team #857 - Superior Roboworks
Mentor - 2006-2009

Last edited by Katie Reynolds : 12-12-2002 at 11:38 PM.
  #114   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2002, 12:36 AM
Team Role: College Student

Michael Murphy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Michael Murphy
Just a note- I got the space for the newsletter, so now all we need is a Webmaster. Volunteers?

I'd be willing to work as an editor and/or on the opinion page.

Hey...I'm the first member or the FIRST Mag forums...Hooray for me.

And Ken, add me to the mailing list

greenmagemike@hotmail.com

#115   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2002, 12:45 AM
Dare to Live!

webmaster for mag

Sunny from the mailing list said he really want to be the web master for this, and he said "I would really like to make an entirely dynamic site that doesn’t require much maintance but for now I can handle it myself. "

I guess we have a web master for now . Is there anyone else willing to help out with creating/maintaining a web site?

#116   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2002, 02:56 AM
None #0064 (The Gila Monsters)
Team Role: Animator

Sunny Thaper is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Sunny Thaper
Cool Re: webmaster for mag

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken L
Sunny from the mailing list said he really want to be the web master for this, and he said "I would really like to make an entirely dynamic site that doesn’t require much maintance but for now I can handle it myself. "

I guess we have a web master for now . Is there anyone else willing to help out with creating/maintaining a web site?
Right on.
  #117   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2002, 08:56 AM
FIRST Fanatic
AKA: Gene Falendysz
#0343 (Metal in Motion)

Gene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Gene F
Colleen, Robby and I came up with the following mission/vision statement:

Supporting the views of Dean Kamen and the FIRST organization, ThinkFIRST is a periodical designed to inspire students to pursue science, technology and engineering opportunities. ThinkFIRST will use hard copy and web-based magazines to build self-confidence while motivating and influencing generations of young adults to develop their own ideas into reality. It will work to connect young adults with the resources they need to succeed in tackling science, technology and life issues. Using the experience and inspiration of others already involved in science, technology and engineering as the back bone of this effort, ThinkFIRST will be another step along the path which will ultimately change the culture of the world to perceive the sciences as "cool" and engineers, technologists, and scienctists as the superhereos of our future generations.

I think it is important that the whole team have a common vision of where we are headed.

We have an outline of content in a tool called Groove. I'll try to get it into something I can post here.

Gene F
  #118   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2002, 02:11 PM
FIRST Mentor & Nemo member
no team (FIRST Mentors)

Leon Machado IV is a jewel in the roughLeon Machado IV is a jewel in the roughLeon Machado IV is a jewel in the roughLeon Machado IV is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Leon Machado IV Send a message via MSN to Leon Machado IV Send a message via Yahoo to Leon Machado IV
I'm not sure if it's been offered yet, but I do have a full server with bandwith and all that good stuff just going to waste that I would be glad to offer to host this thing.

The only thought is would we like to use a direct link to it, such as www.firstmagazine.com or something to that effect.

Comments, questions, whatever. Email me at lmachadoiv@inspirationinc.org. Cya

Lee
AIM: tj2rebel
YIM: l1machado
  #119   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2002, 02:19 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC Key Volunteer Trainer
AKA: CrazyNate
no team

Nate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Nate Smith Send a message via Yahoo to Nate Smith
Re: Re: webmaster for mag

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunny Thaper
Right on.
I'll dive in and help out with this one...I just recently got a lot more time on my hands...
returning for 2011? only time will tell...
  #120   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-13-2002, 02:22 PM
Coach 4026
FRC #4026 (Global Dynamics)

Rookie Year: 1997
Jeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant futureJeremy Roberts has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Roberts
I don't think I"m on the mailing list so please add me. I'll know more of what I can do to add to the mag come January. Unfortunatly I can make that Monday meeting Katie mentioned. Can someone post what went on on the FIRST MAg forum or something. Thanks

Email: gte787s AT prism.gatech.edu
Engineer/Mentor 4026
Former teams: 132, 608, 832, 1002, 1848

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: