OCCRA
Go to Post I feel like watching match videos from 2003 could be considered a form of cruel and unusual punishment. - Cory [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming > NI LabVIEW
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2018, 10:45 AM
no team

pcampbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Creating the file path to Read/Write text files

Having issues creating the correct file path to read and write text files. I've successfully created a program in C++ Eclipse writing and reading values to and from text files. Now I'm having issues creating a LabVIEW program to be deployed on the RoboRIO to find the text files created in the C++ program and be able to read and write to and from them as well. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Here are a few LabVIEW file path attempts:

/C/Users/pcampbell/Desktop/Eclipse/Mar5/accel.txt
/172.22.11.1/C/Users/pcampbell/Eclipse/Mar5/accel.txt
/FTP/169.254.28.120:/C/Users/pcampbell/Eclipse/Mar5/accel.txt
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2018, 11:02 AM
REV Robotics
AKA: Will Toth
FRC #3005 (Robochargers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
wt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud of
Re: Creating the file path to Read/Write text files

Are you trying to have it read a file from the roboRIO to/from the PC or connected device? Or are you trying to read a local file from a deployed LabVIEW program?

My recommendation would be to store any files you want to read on the roboRIO in the default data directory which I think is /home/lvuser/natinst/LabVIEW Data/

If you use this path you can then use the 'Default Data Directory' VI to get the file location and build from there. For example we have a folder on the roboRIO in that location which stores our auton routines, and we read it like this:

FIRST LEGO League 2004 - 2005
FRC Team 870 Student 2006 - 2009
FRC Team 3005 Mentor 2013 -
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2018, 12:00 PM
no team

Thank you wt200999 for the prompt reply.

I am trying to have the C++ Eclipse program on the PC prompt the user to enter values like setting speed, acceleration, deceleration, etc, then write those values to a text file and the LabVIEW deployed program on the RIO read the values entered to the text file and use the values to set the speed, acceleration, etc. on the robot. Then use the encoder values to calculate actual speed, etc, and send the actual values back to the PC program. Hope this explanation makes sense.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2018, 12:47 PM
FRC #5013 (Trobots)

Rookie Year: 2007
jdaming is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcampbell View Post
Thank you wt200999 for the prompt reply.

I am trying to have the C++ Eclipse program on the PC prompt the user to enter values like setting speed, acceleration, deceleration, etc, then write those values to a text file and the LabVIEW deployed program on the RIO read the values entered to the text file and use the values to set the speed, acceleration, etc. on the robot. Then use the encoder values to calculate actual speed, etc, and send the actual values back to the PC program. Hope this explanation makes sense.
I think you are missing the transfer pieces. You are writing to a text file on the DS. You then need to transfer that file to a location on the roboRIO (I would use WebDAV). Which will then be read by your robot code. After performing your desired function send the data back to the DS, using Network Tables would probably be easiest.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2018, 08:30 AM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Matthew Shafer
FRC #6321 (Rouse Raiders Robotics (R^3))

Rookie Year: 2008
mshafer1 is a jewel in the roughmshafer1 is a jewel in the roughmshafer1 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcampbell View Post
Having issues creating the correct file path to read and write text files. I've successfully created a program in C++ Eclipse writing and reading values to and from text files. Now I'm having issues creating a LabVIEW program to be deployed on the RoboRIO to find the text files created in the C++ program and be able to read and write to and from them as well. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Here are a few LabVIEW file path attempts:

/C/Users/pcampbell/Desktop/Eclipse/Mar5/accel.txt
/172.22.11.1/C/Users/pcampbell/Eclipse/Mar5/accel.txt
/FTP/169.254.28.120:/C/Users/pcampbell/Eclipse/Mar5/accel.txt
I am unclear what you have been successful with, do you have the c++ program deploying the file to the rio? can you see the file on the rio using the the Web dashboard (http://172.22.11.1/) under the files tab, or using WinSCP?

My first thought is the problem is you are treating the file paths as if the rio were a windows target that allows you to read and write to any path, but it is a Linux target and requires you (or rather the use the program executes under) to have permission to read or write to the requested path.

Both of these tutorials have LV read a config file stored on the Rio (the second one used the home path of the user that the program will execute as by default, so if you're just trying to figure out the path, check out that code which is zipped with the tutorial).
https://frclabviewtutorials.com/sens...potentiometer/
https://frclabviewtutorials.com/profiledAuto/

If these don't help, please post back with more specifics of what you are trying to do (are you stuck at the writing, or the reading??).

P.S. I will reply faster if you PM or email me as I monitor my email more than CD (i.e., please message me for clarification).
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2018, 08:30 AM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt200999 View Post
Are you trying to have it read a file from the roboRIO to/from the PC or connected device? Or are you trying to read a local file from a deployed LabVIEW program?

My recommendation would be to store any files you want to read on the roboRIO in the default data directory which I think is /home/lvuser/natinst/LabVIEW Data/

If you use this path you can then use the 'Default Data Directory' VI to get the file location and build from there. For example we have a folder on the roboRIO in that location which stores our auton routines, and we read it like this:

Could you explain how to get a file onto the RoboRIO? Thank you!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2018, 08:32 AM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaming View Post
I think you are missing the transfer pieces. You are writing to a text file on the DS. You then need to transfer that file to a location on the roboRIO (I would use WebDAV). Which will then be read by your robot code. After performing your desired function send the data back to the DS, using Network Tables would probably be easiest.
Thank you for your help. Do you know of any tutorials for using WebDAV and Network Tables?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2018, 03:17 PM
REV Robotics
AKA: Will Toth
FRC #3005 (Robochargers)

Rookie Year: 2004
wt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud of

Here is the process we currently use:
  1. Develop our auton routine including paths etc into a text file (we use a LabVIEW program but I assume this is where you would run your C++ script)
  2. In a File Explorer window, go to ftp://roboRIO-3005-FRC.local and navigate to the path we want. Of course change 3005 to your team number.

Again we choose /home/lvuser/natinst/LabVIEW Data/ since there is a built in VI that points to this path. We added a folder called 'Auton'. The path is from my memory so it may be slightly off, but that should give you the idea. You can navigate to that from the explorer window.
  3. From here we copy/paste the files using normal Windows operations.
  4. On the roboRIO we read the file using the above snippet and parse the data accordingly for our auton
  5. To see feedback from our auton we use front panel controls when debugging or Network Tables when deployed. For this you may need to develop a custom dashboard program.

There is a basic description of network tables here. There are network tables VIs in the WPILib palette that are fairly straight forward, they are all the VIs with 'NT' in their icon. You can see examples in Teleop. We generally have a parallel loop that sends back all the useful data.

I have never used WebDAV to transfer files, there is a generic tutorial here, we may look at this as an alternative to FTP that we use.

FIRST LEGO League 2004 - 2005
FRC Team 870 Student 2006 - 2009
FRC Team 3005 Mentor 2013 -

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: