OCCRA
Go to Post We're 30 pounds over LOL. I probably shouldn't be lol'ing, but it is 11:52PM, I just got home from a 15 hour build session, and I find the word 'potato' funny. - ZakuAce [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2018, 08:46 PM
Vice President
AKA: Jackson Schilling
FRC #1477 (Texas Torque)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
PallasPense is on a distinguished road
Smile Help Send Afghan All-Girls Robotics Team to USA!

This coming FRC season, Texas Torque hopes to host the Afghan Dreamers in our lab to compete alongside us in the new district model. They need full funding ($30,000) to come here. We wanted to reach out to the FIRST community to help with their efforts and spread the word. Every donation is tax deductible. If $2000+ is donated by one party, your name or logo (even robotics teams logos) will go on their robot and published media materials. The team can take back the skills they learn from the FIRST community to teach generations of youth in Afghanistan at their new STEM school.

A few members of our team met and worked with this group of girls personally during the 2018 FIRST Global competition, and can without a doubt say we were instantly inspired. Here is a recent article CNN published about their team captain, Fatemah Qaderyan.

Click the link here to learn more and donate. We hope to raise the funds in time for them to make it to Texas!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.

2016 - Alamo RCA, Utah Finalist, Newton Division 3rd Alliance
2017 - Hub City Finalist, Lone Star Central Winner and RCA, Roebling Division 8th Alliance Captain
2018 - Lone Star Central Winner and DLF, South Florida RCA, Carver Division 7th Alliance and Judge's Award
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-19-2018, 10:37 PM
AKA: Sam
FRC #0841 (Biomechs)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
s-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help Send Afghan All-Girls Robotics Team to USA!

This is an awesome effort. I'll pitch in my donation
"Remember why you're doing this." -mrnoble
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2018, 02:28 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a great effort, but would the Afghani team really be allowed to join the Texas district? What is the procedure for inducting a team outside of the geographical boundaries into a district? I imagine a good number of teams near-but-outside of state/country lines would like to be able to join the closer district than have to travel to a farther regional.
2012-2016: FRC 423 Member 15njtab 15padre 16paphi
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2018, 03:14 AM
FRC #4646 (Team ASAP)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
bobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond reputebobbysq has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriMB View Post
Sounds like a great effort, but would the Afghani team really be allowed to join the Texas district? What is the procedure for inducting a team outside of the geographical boundaries into a district? I imagine a good number of teams near-but-outside of state/country lines would like to be able to join the closer district than have to travel to a farther regional.
They didn't have a problem in Ontario last year. Besides, they seem to be working out of Texas and presumably are living there too, so it's a different situation than a team setting their address to a PO box in another state.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2018, 07:08 AM
FRC #6860 (Equitum Robotics)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2018
Batrex is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I really do think that this is a great idea and all but I think you should still contact FIRST directly, because the rules might be different. We played with them in the World Championship and heard about there story. We wanted to do the same thing and host a team from Bangladesh. However my mentor said that there was some issue and we were not allowed to. If FIRST does say its okay, I cant promise you I can donate, but I will definitely get the word out.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2018, 10:00 AM
Vice President
FRC #1477 (Texas Torque)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batrex View Post
I really do think that this is a great idea and all but I think you should still contact FIRST directly, because the rules might be different. We played with them in the World Championship and heard about there story. We wanted to do the same thing and host a team from Bangladesh. However my mentor said that there was some issue and we were not allowed to. If FIRST does say its okay, I cant promise you I can donate, but I will definitely get the word out.
We have been in contact with FIRST Executives and leaders for both FIRST HQ and FIRST in Texas. Both parties have said everything is fine, and in fact, they are already registered as a team in the FIRST in Texas District for the 2019 season, signed up to attend the same events as Texas Torque.

2017 - Hub City Finalist, Lone Star Central Winner and RCA, Roebling Division 8th Alliance Captain
2018 - Lone Star Central Winner and DLF, South Florida RCA, Carver Division 7th Alliance and Judge's Award
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2018, 10:02 AM
Vice President
FRC #1477 (Texas Torque)

Quote:
We have already been through FIRST HQ and FIRST in Texas to figure this out, and all the proper procedures have been completed. They are relocating to our address, as they will be working in our lab, therefore allowing them to compete in the FiT district model.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2018, 02:49 PM
FRC #5883 (Spice Gears)
Team Role: Programmer

xszym will become famous soon enoughxszym will become famous soon enough

I met these girls few times! I'm sure FIRST community achieve this goal!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2018, 04:44 PM
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2005
AndreaV is just really niceAndreaV is just really niceAndreaV is just really niceAndreaV is just really niceAndreaV is just really nice

Will they compete under the same team number as last year? How much of the team is the same as last year's roster?

They were a great bunch to compete with and I look forward to seeing where their season takes them.

Was the intention for first to have them at North champs then south champs? As a way to expose all of FIRST to their story and mission? What comes next?
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2018, 08:03 PM
Vice President
FRC #1477 (Texas Torque)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaV View Post
Will they compete under the same team number as last year? How much of the team is the same as last year's roster?

They were a great bunch to compete with and I look forward to seeing where their season takes them.

Was the intention for first to have them at North champs then south champs? As a way to expose all of FIRST to their story and mission? What comes next?
The same team will be competing, and the number will be kept.

No, it just happened to work out that way. They were looking for a host team and we happened to be in the South.

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2018, 08:29 PM
Chairman's and Scouting Mentor
AKA: Kourosh Kadivar
FRC #1241 (Theory6), FRC #1285 (The Big Bang)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
lurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond reputelurker has a reputation beyond repute

Last year I briefly worked with these girls when they were competing in Ontario and I can honestly say they are the most passionate and committed FIRSTers Iíve ever seen. Also, a huge kudos to Torque for hosting this awesome team.

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 12:09 AM
Vice President
FRC #1477 (Texas Torque)

Huge donation from 1511 for $2500! Thank you so much!

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2018, 10:47 AM
Vice President
FRC #1477 (Texas Torque)

Another ~$1180 raised by FUN and stream donations! The donation link is still open for them!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: