OCCRA
Go to Post Both might accomplish the same "function" or "results" (perhaps a lift of some kind), but there are clear differences in simplicity, in cost, in maintainability, extensibility, and several other "ilities" -- which are a staple of engineering evaluation criteria. - msd [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-03-2018, 07:32 PM
∑V=0
AKA: Zach Brown
FRC #6502 (DARC SIDE)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2018
21brownz is a glorious beacon of light21brownz is a glorious beacon of light21brownz is a glorious beacon of light21brownz is a glorious beacon of light21brownz is a glorious beacon of light21brownz is a glorious beacon of light
Holding Versaframe on CNC

Hey CD,

Our mentors and our mechanical/fab team were discussing the best way to hold down versaframe on the bed of our ShopBot PRSalpha 4'x8'. We already bought some toolmakers vices and are planning on mounting those, but our mentors are suggesting other methods, for example woodworking clamps. I don't think that is a very good idea, but I may be wrong. Thoughts?

Diehard Onshape user
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-03-2018, 08:12 PM
FRC #0100 (The WildHats)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2017
pKlopp is on a distinguished road
Re: Holding Versaframe on CNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21brownz View Post
Hey CD,

Our mentors and our mechanical/fab team were discussing the best way to hold down versaframe on the bed of our ShopBot PRSalpha 4'x8'. We already bought some toolmakers vices and are planning on mounting those, but our mentors are suggesting other methods, for example woodworking clamps. I don't think that is a very good idea, but I may be wrong. Thoughts?
What I would do in this situation is use two vices to grab the versa frame on either end and then chuck up a dial indicator and run it down the long edge of the versa frame to get everything nice and squared up. Then I would use an edge finder to locate the part zero. If you need to flip the part and repeat the operation (or a different operation with the same part zero) on the other side, I would set up a stop rod against one end of the tubing so that when you flip it you don’t have to relocate your part zero. The advantage of this compared to clamps for example is that the vices will be rigidly mounted to the table so once you get everything squared up once, you could make hundreds of parts if you wanted to withought having screw around with dial indicators and edgefinders for every new part that you make. After the first part, all you would have to do is drop in your next part, tighten up the vices and hit the green go button.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-03-2018, 08:51 PM
no team

jedgar6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been curious about how to do this as well. The best way I have found is to use T-track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dv3qfYPlKE

The cnc makes grooves in a spoil board and you put the T-track in the grooves and attack the clamps to it.

Then you use a dial indicator to make sure the 2x1 (or other objects) are square.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-03-2018, 09:23 PM
FRC #3647 (Millennium Falcons)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2016
juju_beans is a splendid one to beholdjuju_beans is a splendid one to beholdjuju_beans is a splendid one to beholdjuju_beans is a splendid one to beholdjuju_beans is a splendid one to beholdjuju_beans is a splendid one to beholdjuju_beans is a splendid one to behold

Here's a photo of our vise jig:

CNC Router and HSMWorks Series
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-03-2018, 09:33 PM
Michigan to Texas
AKA: Michael Ray
FRC #6800 (ViperBots Valor)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2009
stingray27 is a splendid one to beholdstingray27 is a splendid one to beholdstingray27 is a splendid one to beholdstingray27 is a splendid one to beholdstingray27 is a splendid one to beholdstingray27 is a splendid one to beholdstingray27 is a splendid one to beholdstingray27 is a splendid one to behold

We just bought these and they came in today:

https://www.shars.com/products/workh...oolmakers-vise

I know you said you were getting some already but I can keep you posted on how we mount them to our CNC

Driving Record: 93-64-0 Best Finish: Finalist (x4 FiM Districts)
Coaching Record: 49-37-0 Best Finish: Finalist (2018 Lone Star South)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-03-2018, 10:19 PM
Engineering Mentor
AKA: Brian O'Sullivan
FRC #4561 (TerrorBytes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Monochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond reputeMonochron has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21brownz View Post
Hey CD,

We use toolmakers vices. I actually emailed Forrest on your team a couple weeks ago about you guys visiting us sometime soon and swapping router techniques. We have used a ShopBot DesktopMAX for the past year or so.

2018 | Gracious Professionalism x3, Asheville Winners, NCCMP Finalists, NC District - 3rd Rank
2017 | Industrial Design, Gracious Professionalism, NCCMP Winners, NC District - 1st Rank
2016 | Innovation In Controls, Industrial Design, Quality Award, NC District - 4th Rank
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-04-2018, 07:50 AM
FRC #0223 (Xtreme Heat)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2006
rcoren22 is a splendid one to beholdrcoren22 is a splendid one to beholdrcoren22 is a splendid one to beholdrcoren22 is a splendid one to beholdrcoren22 is a splendid one to beholdrcoren22 is a splendid one to beholdrcoren22 is a splendid one to behold

We recently created a custom jig for holding versa frame and other box on our CNC router.

We created an HDPE spoiler board with pocketed machinist vises using the CNC. (Shar's posted earlier in thread)

We then fabricated custom bushings that go through the factory top of the router and the HDPE with 3/8" ID.

3/8" Shoulder bolts go through the bushings to hold everything in place. (Wingnuts in image)

Finally we created the black index stop from steel / got a usb microscope to find close to exact zero spot and created custom "Index Home Position" in cnc software.

Please feel free to PM with any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boxJigFixture.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	23699  
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2018, 01:28 PM
KB3ZKL
AKA: Griffin
FRC #2590 (Nemesis) #2607 (The Fighting Robovikings)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2011
dellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond reputedellagd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju_beans View Post
Here's a photo of our vise jig:
We have the exact same setup on our router. Instantly became one of the most used tools in the shop. If you have a router, do this.

2017 IRI Winners - Thanks 195 and 1619!
2017 MAR Championship Winners - Thanks 1807 and 3929!
2017 Festival de Robotique de Montréal Finalists
2016 CMP Carson 2nd Seed
2016 MAR Championship Engineering Excellence Award
2016 MAR Westtown Innovation in Control Award
2016 MAR Hatboro-Horsham Industrial Design Award
2015 Upper Darby District Winners - Thanks 225 and 4460!
2015 Upper Darby District Industrial Design Award
2015 Hatboro-Horsham District Winners - Thanks 2590 and 5407!
2014 Virginia Regional Winners - Thanks so much 384 and 1610, I will never forget that experience!
2014 Virginia Quality Award
2014 MAR Bridgewater-Raritan Innovation in Control Award
2014 MAR Hatboro-Horsham Gracious Professionalism Award
2013 MAR Bridgewater-Raritan Innovation in Control Award
2012 MAR Lenape Quality Award

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: