OCCRA
Go to Post I didn't feel like reading this whole thread, which, as I understand, is talking about people not wanting to read long threads. - Mike [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 09:04 AM
AKA: AJ
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Type has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud of
pic: 3452 Off Season Belly Pan

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 09:04 AM
The Nature Bot - WOOOO!
FRC #1720 (PhyXTGears)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Ryan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Dognaux
Re: pic: 3452 Off Season Belly Pan

Very nice. What did it end up weighing?
Team 4329 Mentor: 2013 - 2017 :: Team 1720 Mentor: Current
STL Off-Season Event: www.gatewayroboticschallenge.com
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 09:34 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
pandamonium has a reputation beyond reputepandamonium has a reputation beyond reputepandamonium has a reputation beyond reputepandamonium has a reputation beyond reputepandamonium has a reputation beyond reputepandamonium has a reputation beyond reputepandamonium has a reputation beyond reputepandamonium has a reputation beyond reputepandamonium has a reputation beyond reputepandamonium has a reputation beyond reputepandamonium has a reputation beyond repute

How much did the pollycarb belly pans weigh vs this?
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 06:51 PM
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)

Type has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud of

Guessing off CAD (haven't had a chance to weigh it in real life), ~3 lbs.

In comparison, the same size poly carbonate in 1/4" would weigh roughly 6.5 lbs. We could drop down to 1/8" in comparison since we have never really needed 1/4" besides 2016, but that still is only 3.25 lbs roughly. We just decided to experiment with using a fancy belly pan and test out how light weight we could make something.

*My posts do not reflect the opinion of my team*
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 11:38 PM
Michigan to Texas
AKA: Michael Ray
FRC #6800 (ViperBots Valor)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2009
stingray27 is a splendid one to beholdstingray27 is a splendid one to beholdstingray27 is a splendid one to beholdstingray27 is a splendid one to beholdstingray27 is a splendid one to beholdstingray27 is a splendid one to beholdstingray27 is a splendid one to beholdstingray27 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
How much did the pollycarb belly pans weigh vs this?
I would HIGHLY avoid polycarbonate belly pans unless you know for a fact that it is electrostatic dissipative (ESD) polycarbonate.

If it isn't ESD polycarb, you will build up a lot of static electricity and zap your electronics.

Driving Record: 93-64-0 Best Finish: Finalist (x4 FiM Districts)
Coaching Record: 49-37-0 Best Finish: Finalist (2018 Lone Star South)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2018, 11:59 PM
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray27 View Post
I would HIGHLY avoid polycarbonate belly pans unless you know for a fact that it is electrostatic dissipative (ESD) polycarbonate.

If it isn't ESD polycarb, you will build up a lot of static electricity and zap your electronics.
2018 was actually the first year as far as I know that my team did not use a polycarbonate belly pan. I know 2017, 16, 15 and I believe 14 for sure had polycarbonate and as far as I know we haven't had any sort of failures from static electricity. I also have no idea what type of PC we use. We acquire all of our polycarbonate from local automation companies that consider 3' x 3' scrap considering they use it as windows on large machines.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2018, 12:22 AM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that looks really sick! Looks like you could cut some weight out of the team number though.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2018, 10:46 AM
FRC #4293

PeterR is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
Wow, that looks really sick! Looks like you could cut some weight out of the team number though.
The Aesthetic value is too much (unless you make all the holes in the shape of the team number).
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-06-2018, 08:38 PM
AKA: Braeden (I speak for myself, not for my team)
FRC #3461 (Operation P.E.A.C.C.E.)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
Zem will become famous soon enough

That is a seriously nice belly pan!
Good job.

2016: Match Observer

Operator : )

My views and opinions do not necessarily reflect that of my team.
Programming is not hard, its a different way of thinking.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2018, 01:23 PM
AKA: Tony
FRC #0832 (Oscar)

Rookie Year: 2018
npatony is a glorious beacon of lightnpatony is a glorious beacon of lightnpatony is a glorious beacon of lightnpatony is a glorious beacon of lightnpatony is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to npatony

would it hold up under the weight of a full robot though?
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2018, 02:04 PM
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by npatony View Post
would it hold up under the weight of a full robot though?
That's part of the reason we are testing it now. Itll be used in a WCD so the tubes should act to stiffen the pan up. The only thing mounted to the pan are electrical components and then the battery. The only thing we are worried about is the load from the battery but there is another plate that mounts above to help truss around the battery.

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-07-2018, 06:42 PM
AKA: Sam
FRC #0841 (Biomechs)

Rookie Year: 2009
s-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond repute

Looks freakin' sweet

As a sign of respect, I'm going to pick it apart a little bit

Structurally, the bellypan acts primarily as a shear plate - the border alone won't do anything that a set of 4 typical versabrackets can't. The contribution to chassis stiffness is driven by the fact that the bellypan prevents the frame "trapezoiding" on you. Your hex pattern will introduct some springiness in that direction, compared to solid or to a diamond pattern that is laser-focused on preventing shear.

If you want to run a true engineering study, I'd be very curious to see how the stiffness compares to solid 1/8" Al & 1/4" PC in rigidity.

Build up the frame with a test bellypan, clamp the back rail into a heavy workbench, apply load to the front rail and measure force vs displacement with a dial indicator in torsion and in lateral shear? With a decent dial indicator you shouldn't need to put more than 100lbs on the chassis to see enough displacement to make a calculation (lbs/degree). Repeat for a second or third bellypan style. Compare weight to stiffness result. Consider cost. Write it up.

Of course, now that we're measuring stiffness... what's a good-enough stiffness value? Race car designers generally go "as high as possible", but an FRC bot is not a racecar.... YMMV.

Note that everything I just suggested doing is far beyond the scope of typical FRC team projects and comes much closer to real-world engineering. You're already successfully piloting new design processes, new fabrication workflow, and are in progress to demonstrate the real-world feasibility of this design - great job! Keep it up!

EDIT: To be fair the actual modern engineering case study would be to model a subset of your scenarios in an FEA package, cost them out, pick the best, and then test that one setup with a few samples, to make sure it matched the FEA model. Full scale tests are expensive...
"Remember why you're doing this." -mrnoble

Last edited by s-neff : 12-07-2018 at 07:07 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: