Go to Post Or, to put it another way: It's a sport where you build your own athlete. - EricH [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2011, 12:58 AM
FRC #0744 (744 Shark Attack & 7239 Hell Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
AlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond reputeAlexD744 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do minibots need to stay at the top of the pole?

Quoting Violation for rule <G20>, not the rule itself. "TOWER is disabled if MINIBOT is DEPLOYED above the DEPLOYMENT LINE."

Last edited by AlexD744 : 01-09-2011 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Typo
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2011, 12:59 AM
FRC #1727 (REX)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
Stephen of REX is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes but what if the minibot can jump under it's own power by means of stretched tubing?

Go REX!!!
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Developing tomorrow's best people
AKA: Alex Tannahill
no team

ATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond reputeATannahill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Picolet View Post
Deployment "ends" when the minibot is "positioned on" the tower, by definition. Autonomous for the minibot starts immediately, you can't do anything after that to help it out. My take....
Your take means nothing. Either cite the manual or an official source.

I base my answers off of the game manual, Q&A responses and field tour videos at the time of my post. Rules will probably be modified or clarified between this post and your competition. My post means nothing to event officials. Please keep up with team manual updates and the FRC Q&A.
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2011, 02:08 PM
mech monkey
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2009
yujason007 is an unknown quantity at this point

<R101>If a MINIBOT is rejected by inspectors due to a safety issue or concern related to the team’s method of storing energy, the concerned items must be disabled or removed from the MINIBOT before it can compete in a MATCH. The team bears the burden of proof that such a rejection is not valid. Teams should be prepared to provide justifiable test data or calculations during inspection to support their design.

I'm sure they can easily use that rule to disqualify any robot using "unsafe" methods of energy storage.
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Frame/Body/Motors
FRC #2389 (S.T.O.R.M.)

Rookie Year: 2010
Nemisis will become famous soon enough

hey everyone im sitting here a day after kick off reading ppls posts and i cant help but notice, you guys are worrying about how much force it takes once the minibot reaches the top of the post. 2 - 4 newtons is only like a half pound to a pound of force for it to register. All your minibot has to to is just touch it and it'll register! If its got enough force to climb the post, its got plenty of torque to register. lol

Nemisis
Team 2389
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Caffeine Addic..um..Afficionado
FRC #2159 (RoboPirates)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2007
Randy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfgnow View Post
Your take means nothing. Either cite the manual or an official source.
I'm sure you simply meant that my opinion doesn't count any more than anyone else's, and I would completely agree. I did cite the manual in a slightly earlier post in this thread (and in a couple of other related threads), and did not wish to paste in yet again. Clearly, the only opinions that count are the rulings of the GDC, but the point here is to share/discuss our opinions until we can get clarification. Otherwise, why bother with the thread at all?

If you disagree with my take on an issue, that's great. I'd like to hear your reasoning if you want to elaborate. Maybe you can change my mind, maybe I can change yours, maybe we can come up with an approach that includes both our viewpoints, or maybe we'll both turn out to be partially right and wrong...

Last edited by Randy Picolet : 01-09-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Better wording to avoid misunderstanding...
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Head Mentor
FRC #3476 (Code Orange)

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexD744 View Post
Quoting Violation for rule <G20>, not the rule itself. "TOWER is disabled if MINIBOT is DEPLOYED above the DEPLOYMENT LINE."
Reading also the definition of DEPLOYMENT:

DEPLOYMENT the act of positioning a MINIBOT on a TOWER. DEPLOYMENT starts when the MINIBOT breaks the vertical projection of the TOWER BASE circumference during the END GAME. (Related form, DEPLOY, verb)

It seems that it could be possible to launch a minibot outside the vertical projection of the tower base and above the deployment line as long as the hostbot lets go of the minibot before the minibot breaks the projection. If this is true, then I figure it would much easier to launch the minibot at top of the hostbot since the distance to the sensor would be much less.

Does this seem legal? I feel this is not in the spirit in the game but as far as I can tell it seems legal but perhaps technically difficult to achieve.
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2011, 09:29 PM
AKA: Alex Bischoping
FRC #0340 (GRR)

AlexBish_GRR will become famous soon enough

The way i saw things was that you can only use certain items as specified in the rule book and you cant use certain other items but i believe that the rules did state that a minibot needed exactly one battery ie no more no less
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Sunny
FRC #1648 (G3 Robotics)

ttldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBish_GRR View Post
The way i saw things was that you can only use certain items as specified in the rule book and you cant use certain other items but i believe that the rules did state that a minibot needed exactly one battery ie no more no less
I believe the line that you are thinking of states that are you allowed only one battery. This is to ensure that one does not use more than one power source on their minibot, and I do not believe that any team is obligated to have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sheridan View Post
Does this seem legal? I feel this is not in the spirit in the game but as far as I can tell it seems legal but perhaps technically difficult to achieve.
One could've argued that redirecting balls off the overpass wasn't in the "spirit" of the game, but the spirit of the game, and the game are essentially two different things.

- Sunny
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Standing on their shoulders
FRC #0832

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazonk View Post
By this definition, it doesn't seem that it needs to remain there, it just needs to touch the top.
I like this interpretation and agree with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloteera View Post
I think that if you store some energy (like elastic through rubbers i.e.) on your ROBOT to launch your MINIBOT, it won't be autonomous.
Is storing energy with rubber any different from storing energy chemically (i.e., a battery)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessnatalie View Post
But wouldn't "giving a boost" be illegal?
<snip>
Which to my understanding is as soon as the mini bot or deployment like device is anywhere over the base.
If the second assertion were true - deployment takes place the instant the robot touches the plane of the base - then my Hostbot's pushing it the rest of the way TO the tower pole wouldn't be allowed, because it's not autonomous on the part of the minibot. Right?

OK, so let's theorize that we CAN in fact continue to push Minibot to the pole. As soon as we RELEASE minibot, it must be autonomous.

What if I release it with a huge spring? It's moving up at 10 m/s, hostbot isn't touching it...and when it slows down enough, the motors take over, propelling minibot the rest of the way to the top.

Does that sound illegal?

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2011, 11:26 PM
TheMuffinMan53
AKA: Michael
FRC #3132 (The Thunder Down Under)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2011
TheMuffinMan53 is an unknown quantity at this point

what would you make the spring out of as there is not a spring in the list of parts you can use for the minibot

FIRST in Australia
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Steel is love. Steel is life.
AKA: Kara Bakowski
FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)

Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Karibou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan53 View Post
what would you make the spring out of as there is not a spring in the list of parts you can use for the minibot
On the minibots, you could manipulate rubber bands or surgical tubing to store energy. Just an idea.

I don't think that we're sure about the legality of it, but we could also have springs on the hostbots that could make the minibot spring up.
FRC 341 (2016-present): Mechanical/build mentor
Volunteer (2010-present): MAR Springside-Chestnut Hill '18, Brunswick Eruption '16 '17, Ramp Riot '15 '16 '17, MidKnight Mayhem '13 '15 '16 '17, MAR Seneca '17, FTC Hat Tricks Qualifier '16, MAR Montgomery '16, MAR Westtown '16 Portcullis Victim, MAR Springside-Chestnut Hill '16, FiM Escanaba District '14 '15, FiM Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, FiM Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...

WMWBS '10 '11
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2011, 11:34 PM
FRC #3132

Aussie Oi! is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Do minibots need to stay at the top of the pole?

could you make the your minibot climb over th other minibot
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Steel is love. Steel is life.
AKA: Kara Bakowski
FRC #0341 (Miss Daisy)

Karibou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond reputeKaribou has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Karibou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Oi! View Post
As in making your robot climb over an opponent's robot to beat them up? No. See <G21>.
FRC 341 (2016-present): Mechanical/build mentor
Volunteer (2010-present): MAR Springside-Chestnut Hill '18, Brunswick Eruption '16 '17, Ramp Riot '15 '16 '17, MidKnight Mayhem '13 '15 '16 '17, MAR Seneca '17, FTC Hat Tricks Qualifier '16, MAR Montgomery '16, MAR Westtown '16 Portcullis Victim, MAR Springside-Chestnut Hill '16, FiM Escanaba District '14 '15, FiM Detroit District '13, IRI '10 '12, FiM Waterford District '11 '12, MARC '12, CMP Galileo '11
FRC 1189 (2008-2011): Team Captain, Pit Crew, Website group leader, Team Education group leader, Proud Alum. We've got spirit, yes we do...

WMWBS '10 '11
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2011, 11:42 PM
2017 World Champions
AKA: Ryan Hall
FRC #1676 (Pascack Pi-oneers)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
Hallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Oi! View Post
Definitely not the opposing alliance's minibot, but as for your own alliance's minibot, such as in the case it stopped working, I don't know...the Q&A opens on Wednesday

Won: 2010 New Jersey Regional, 2010 Virginia Regional (undefeated), 2011 New Jersey Regional, 2011 Virginia Regional, 2011 Brunswick Eruption, 2012 Rutgers MAR District, 2012 girlPOWER, 2012 Ramp Riot, 2013 Bridgewater-Raritan MAR District, 2014 girlPOWER, 2015 Bridgewater-Raritan MAR District, 2016 Mt. Olive MAR District, 2016 Bridgewater-Raritan MAR District, 2017 Daly Subdivision, 2017 St. Louis World Championship, 2017 MidKnight Mayhem, 2017 Festival of Champions

2017 Season Recap Video
Festival of Champions Recap Video

Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: