OCCRA
Go to Post "Oh, the farmer and the cowhand can be friends, la la la..." - Andy Baker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming > Python
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2018, 09:06 PM
easily impressed by fancy acronyms
AKA: Christopher Tinker
FRC #7093 (Veritas Valiants)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2018
deslusionary is a splendid one to beholddeslusionary is a splendid one to beholddeslusionary is a splendid one to beholddeslusionary is a splendid one to beholddeslusionary is a splendid one to beholddeslusionary is a splendid one to behold
Re: Python Roll Call!

Team 7093 from Austin, TX is glad to join the Robotpy community! (Time to rid ourselves of LabVIEW forever).
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2018, 07:30 AM
FRC #5929

onenerdyguy is on a distinguished road

Team 5929 from MN also uses Robotpy, and has been since their rookie year in 2016.

No longer associated with the team, but they are still going strong with it.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-16-2018, 11:46 PM
AKA: Charlie Peppler
FRC #5459 (Tigers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2017
cpeppler is an unknown quantity at this point

2018 was my first year as a mentor for 5459. I want to work with students in the offseason but I don't want to buy a RoboRio.

I have been working with a Raspberry Pi for years (before getting involved with FRC), and love working with it.

I want to create an environment that gets me and students as close to the competition environment, but run lower power motors using a MotorHAT off the Raspberry Pi.

I upgraded my Pi to Python 3.6 and installed RobotPy. It installed without errors, but I haven't tried running anything with it yet.

I have a couple of questions:
  1. Is anyone else using a RasPi as the primary robot controller using PyRobot/WPIlib?
  2. Is it a good assumption that all non hardware specific libraries (such as pynetworktables) will work the same regardless of it being a Pi or a RoboRio?
  3. Is it possible to integrate a Raspberry Pi MotorHAT for motion using RobotPy? (Note: Adafruit has Python libraries to control the motors using I2C)

Thanks in advance for guidance and input.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2018, 09:11 AM
RobotPy Guy
AKA: Dustin Spicuzza
FRC #6367 (), FRC #7240 ()
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
virtuald has a reputation beyond reputevirtuald has a reputation beyond reputevirtuald has a reputation beyond reputevirtuald has a reputation beyond reputevirtuald has a reputation beyond reputevirtuald has a reputation beyond reputevirtuald has a reputation beyond reputevirtuald has a reputation beyond reputevirtuald has a reputation beyond reputevirtuald has a reputation beyond reputevirtuald has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeppler View Post
2018 was my first year as a mentor for 5459. I want to work with students in the offseason but I don't want to buy a RoboRio.

I have been working with a Raspberry Pi for years (before getting involved with FRC), and love working with it.

I want to create an environment that gets me and students as close to the competition environment, but run lower power motors using a MotorHAT off the Raspberry Pi.

I upgraded my Pi to Python 3.6 and installed RobotPy. It installed without errors, but I haven't tried running anything with it yet.

I have a couple of questions:
  1. Is anyone else using a RasPi as the primary robot controller using PyRobot/WPIlib?
  2. Is it a good assumption that all non hardware specific libraries (such as pynetworktables) will work the same regardless of it being a Pi or a RoboRio?
  3. Is it possible to integrate a Raspberry Pi MotorHAT for motion using RobotPy? (Note: Adafruit has Python libraries to control the motors using I2C)

Thanks in advance for guidance and input.
If you have further questions on this topic, please create a separate thread (as the current thread has nothing to do with your topic). But, here are some answers:
  • No
  • Yes
  • Yes, but you probably don't want to do that

RobotPy's WPILib can run on any platform that a Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) exists for. Currently, two exist:
  • One for running on the RoboRIO that talks directly to the hardware present on the RoboRIO
  • Another for running in simulation that talks directly to a large dictionary that stores the running robot parameters

To do what you want, you would need to create a HAL for a RPi. Creating a new HAL wouldn't be particularly difficult, but I suspect it would be a lot of effort. The difficult part would be providing an equivalent to the driver station (or writing your own interface that allows the current DS to talk to it).

Team #1418 (remote mentor): Newton Quarterfinalists, 2016 Chesapeake District Champion, 2x Innovation in Control award, 2x district event winner
Team #1418: 2015 DC Regional Innovation In Control Award, #2 seed; 2014 VA Industrial Design Award; 2014 Finalists in DC & VA
Team #2423: 2012 & 2013 Boston Regional Innovation in Control Award

Resources: FIRSTWiki (relaunched!) | My Software Stuff

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: