OCCRA
Go to Post I don't know how you can blame a robot getting stuck in the goal on the GDC. The field drawings showed all of the dimensions of the goals. If a team doesn't want to risk getting stuck then they need to plan around it. - JamesBrown [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2018, 03:24 PM
FRC #5550

rlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond reputerlance has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WPILib is adapting GradleRIO - Jaci has become too powerful and we must stop her

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
You could open your code in VS Code now. It's pretty simple to do. It's free and available and a decent* IDE.

*I prefer VIM.
I already downloaded VSCode and opened our code in it. I'm more concerned with the steps to deploy it to the robot.
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2018, 03:32 PM
love/hate relationship with swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) and FTC #13471 Mentor (Vortechs))
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2016
pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WPILib is adapting GradleRIO - Jaci has become too powerful and we must stop her

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlance View Post
I already downloaded VSCode and opened our code in it. I'm more concerned with the steps to deploy it to the robot.
That is what GradleRIO is for. Currently it's on command line but I'm sure we'll be seeing an extension/add-on for VSCode for 2019.

“Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.”
2010-2011: FLL 11083, 13873 (Minnetonka Silver) - Programmer
2016-: FRC 3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) - Engineering Captain, Driver, Programming Lead
2017-: FTC 13471 (Minnetonka) - Founding Mentor
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2018, 03:41 PM
FRC #6829 (Ignite Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
BrianAtlanta is just really niceBrianAtlanta is just really niceBrianAtlanta is just really niceBrianAtlanta is just really niceBrianAtlanta is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaroz View Post
Quote:
You could open your code in VS Code now. It's pretty simple to do. It's free and available and a decent* IDE.

*I prefer VIM.
I would have thought you'd be an Emacs person.
I'm surprised Marshall doesn't just use https://www.jdoodle.com/compile-assembler-nasm-online

Is this where we get in to Tabs vs Spaces?
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2018, 03:44 PM
Volunteer, WPILib Contributor
no team (Waiting for 2021)

Rookie Year: 2010
Thad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond reputeThad House has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlance View Post
Deploy will be a single button to click in the context menu. You could also assign a keyboard shortcut to deploy.

In the end, all the button does is call `./gradlew deploy`. So there is nothing really special in the vscode plugin.
Co-developer of RobotDotNet, a .NET port of the WPILib.
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2018, 10:11 PM
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaroz View Post
I would have thought you'd be an Emacs person.
Dude! We’re talking about text editors here, not operating systems.
Clarke's Laws
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2018, 08:54 AM
FRC #0247

Rookie Year: 2014
David Lame has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Lame has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Lame has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Lame has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Lame has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Lame has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Lame has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Lame has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Lame has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Lame has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Lame has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerthworm View Post
The focus is also to allow the build to be primarily done from the command line, with VSCode as a tool on top of that. Eclipse is a fully integrated environment, so it's less flexible. In my mind, the solution they're going to is the correct answer.
I'm dealing with fourteen year old programmers who have barely gotten past "Hello, World." Being "flexible" is not a good thing in that situation. It often means that there are lots of options, but if you get them wrong, nothing works.

As long as there is a one click solution that I can tell freshmen, "When your code is ready, click this to deploy it to the RoboRio," things will be ok.

A bonus would be non-cryptic error messages for when their network was disconnected, or when they failed to set up some of the required settings.

In general, I'm a big fan of Visual Studio as a developer environment precisely because I have found it easier to get up and running right out of the box than I found with Eclipse. I want an environment that runs the first time if you follow the directions, and I want those diretions to be as short as possible and as easy to understand as possible. I have enough trouble teaching kids what a null pointer exception is and why they got one.

A perfect tool would be one that a freshman can use without difficulty, and the professional programmers who serve as mentors can do the things they've learned to do in their years of programming experience. However, if there has to be a compromise between the two attributes, the former should be prioritized over the latter.
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2018, 10:52 AM
http://imjac.in/ta/name
AKA: Jaci R Brunning
FRC #5333 (Can't C#) #5663 (Ground Control) | (OpenRIO, FRC West Aus)

Rookie Year: 2015
Jaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond reputeJaci has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lame View Post
<snip>
Although Gradle is a command-line based build system, we're writing an extension for Visual Studio Code that makes the integration a lot easier to deal with (i.e. the "1 click deploy") and tailored to FRC use.

We're also working on an offline installer package that installs all the components. The end goal here is to do away with the "install java, install eclipse, then the plugins, then roborio java, then your vendor libraries, and go", instead allowing most of those steps to be done with 1 installer (and 1 command if you don't want to use the installer, or use Linux or Mac).

Curtin FRC (5333+5663) : Head Mentor
WPILib : Developer

Website | Github
jaci.brunning@gmail.com
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2018, 11:18 AM
R I P Georgia Dome
FRC #1102 (M'Aiken Magic & Team FUN)

Rookie Year: 2006
JohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaci View Post
Although Gradle is a command-line based build system, we're writing an extension for Visual Studio Code that makes the integration a lot easier to deal with (i.e. the "1 click deploy") and tailored to FRC use.

We're also working on an offline installer package that installs all the components. The end goal here is to do away with the "install java, install eclipse, then the plugins, then roborio java, then your vendor libraries, and go", instead allowing most of those steps to be done with 1 installer (and 1 command if you don't want to use the installer, or use Linux or Mac).
Bless. I always disliked having to do all of those installation steps manually when I was setting up a new eclipse environment.
"By teaching students the power of STEM, we're M'Aiken Magic happen!"
2010 FTC World Championship Winner - FTC Team 3864 Driver/Captain
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2018, 12:32 PM
FRC #5115 (Knight Riders)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
brian5115 will become famous soon enoughbrian5115 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
*I prefer VIM.
There is this: https://github.com/VSCodeVim/Vim

Although, with GradleRIO the choice of editor/IDE has pretty much no bearing on how easy it is to deploy.

2016: Northern Maryland - District Event Winner, Excellence in Engineering

2017: Central Maryland - District Event Winner

2018: Southern Maryland - District Event Winner, Quality Award
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2018, 08:40 PM
AKA: Jeff Corbett
FRC #1319 (Flash)

Rookie Year: 2005
JefferMC has a brilliant futureJefferMC has a brilliant futureJefferMC has a brilliant futureJefferMC has a brilliant futureJefferMC has a brilliant futureJefferMC has a brilliant futureJefferMC has a brilliant futureJefferMC has a brilliant futureJefferMC has a brilliant futureJefferMC has a brilliant futureJefferMC has a brilliant future

This looks very cool. Thanks to Jaci and the WPILIB team (and everyone else who had a hand in this) for the hard work.
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2018, 11:33 AM
AKA: Hunter
FRC #0997 (Spartan Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2018
n30b4rt is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know how to setup VS Code for development yet?
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2018, 12:44 PM
FRC #4915 (Spartronics)

Rookie Year: 2017
jamesjus000 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is nice. Are there any plans to support Atom as an IDE, or only VS Code?
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2018, 12:53 PM
Alumni of Team 2053 Tigertronics
AKA: Drew Williams
FRC #2053 (TigerTronics)

Rookie Year: 2013
jreneew2 has a brilliant futurejreneew2 has a brilliant futurejreneew2 has a brilliant futurejreneew2 has a brilliant futurejreneew2 has a brilliant futurejreneew2 has a brilliant futurejreneew2 has a brilliant futurejreneew2 has a brilliant futurejreneew2 has a brilliant futurejreneew2 has a brilliant futurejreneew2 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjus000 View Post
As has been stated numerous times before in this thread, as long as you can run a Gradle script from it you can build and deploy. I doubt they would fully support Atom with plugins considering they only said VS code.

The only thing the plugins do (I'm pretty sure) is set up buttons for building and deploying, as well as do some setting up for intellisense

#59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2018, 05:55 PM
ytho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjus000 View Post
The nice thing about Gradle is its command line nature. Although VS Code is getting extensions, you can use virtually any editor, dare I say MS Word, to write your code and you can still deploy to the robot. Our team has used IntelliJ IDEA and Kotlin this year alongside GradleRIO and this combination has worked out perfectly for us; and we will continue using this combination although it will not be "official" and it has never been "official".
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2018, 03:58 PM
FRC #2830

ErikSLee is an unknown quantity at this point

We would love to get on the list of beta testers!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: