OCCRA
Go to Post Teams rarely win FIRST events because they can complete actions that nobody else can; they win because they do things faster than others. - Madison [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2008, 01:31 PM
nil
no team

Rookie Year: 1900
chris L has much to be proud ofchris L has much to be proud ofchris L has much to be proud ofchris L has much to be proud ofchris L has much to be proud ofchris L has much to be proud ofchris L has much to be proud ofchris L has much to be proud ofchris L has much to be proud ofchris L has much to be proud of
paper: Feet Per Second / Misc Calculations

Thread created automatically to discuss a document in CD-Media.

Feet Per Second / Misc Calculations by chris L
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Whoa! college pilot.
AKA: vivek
FRC #2264 (trojan robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
vivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to vivek16 Send a message via MSN to vivek16
Re: paper: Feet Per Second / Misc Calculations

WooHoo! Nice and Simple, I like it. This will come in handy, I hate getting out my calculator or dealing with chunky spreadsheets everytime I need to make a few calculations.

thanks, Vivek
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2008, 02:00 PM
has lots of NASA swag!
AKA: Anna
FRC #1735 (Green Reapers)
Team Role: Programmer

Anna B. is a glorious beacon of lightAnna B. is a glorious beacon of lightAnna B. is a glorious beacon of lightAnna B. is a glorious beacon of lightAnna B. is a glorious beacon of lightAnna B. is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: paper: Feet Per Second / Misc Calculations

Thanks for developing such a simple tool for doing those kinds of calculations, it will definitely come in handy a lot!

-Anna
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Whoa! college pilot.

vivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond repute

w00t!, gear pitch calculator for the win. I love these updates keep em coming.

-Vivek
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2008, 09:46 PM
nil
no team

chris L has much to be proud ofchris L has much to be proud ofchris L has much to be proud ofchris L has much to be proud ofchris L has much to be proud ofchris L has much to be proud ofchris L has much to be proud ofchris L has much to be proud ofchris L has much to be proud ofchris L has much to be proud of

Updated Calculator:
-Added Quick Clicks for Motors, Reduction and Wheels

Added Gear Spacing Calculator
-Simply put in the pitch of 2 gears and it will put out 3 different types of fits

Any Comments and Improvements are appreciated.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Whoa! college pilot.

Is anybody interested in writing a simplified version of this program for TI84 calculators?
That would be awesome to use.

thanks, Vivek

p.s. sorry I'm posting so much, Chris is using me as his guinea pig and I really find this thing useful. It cut my drivetrain design time from 5 min. to about 5 sec.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2008, 11:47 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lead Engineer & Coach
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris,
This looks like it could be a good resource for some quick calculations. I haven't had time to check your math, but it seems reasonable off the top of my head.

If there was one thing to criticize it is your presentation. There were some things you did which confused me a little bit. Maybe it is because I read into things too much due to my familiarity with this material. Some of your terminology is also a little confusing. Nothing that some massaging can't fix.

Overall good job! The best part about this sheet for me, is the lessons that YOU must have learned while creating it. It takes a certain familiarity with the math behind these concepts to create something like this. Kudos to you for taking the time, it will certainly serve you well in the future. I hope you continue to evolve & improve your sheets, because as we all know, design IS an iterative process.

Kudos!
-John
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2008, 11:49 PM
2017... Oooh Kill em, Swerve!
AKA: Owner, WestCoast Products
FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
R.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond repute

I second the calculator thing, but could anyone write it for the TI89's please??
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2008, 05:38 AM
nil
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVN View Post
Hi Chris,
This looks like it could be a good resource for some quick calculations. I haven't had time to check your math, but it seems reasonable off the top of my head.

If there was one thing to criticize it is your presentation. There were some things you did which confused me a little bit. Maybe it is because I read into things too much due to my familiarity with this material. Some of your terminology is also a little confusing. Nothing that some massaging can't fix.

Overall good job! The best part about this sheet for me, is the lessons that YOU must have learned while creating it. It takes a certain familiarity with the math behind these concepts to create something like this. Kudos to you for taking the time, it will certainly serve you well in the future. I hope you continue to evolve & improve your sheets, because as we all know, design IS an iterative process.

Kudos!
-John
What was it that confused you?

If you get back to me ill have a new version up soon with the updates

Thanks!

--Chris
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Woodie Flowers Award
purple
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire)

Rookie Year: 1997
Ken Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris-

Nice! This looks like a couple of good resources for people who are speccing out their drive systems. Your ~0.9 factor for what the actual speed of the CIM is a decent estimate for the general case, I think.

I think one of the great parts of this is your careful attention to what units are being used at each step of the process.

I agree with John's thought on making it as clear and understandeable as possible. You can never stop making it easier to use.

Not that these ideas would make it easier to use (probably the opposite ) but how about at the important parts of the calculation having a link which describes the calculation that is going on behind the scenes? Or how about a couple of plots showing the results that got generated (top speed versus gear ratio, for example). How about a pushing force calc?

Keep up the great work,
Ken
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2008, 11:21 AM
nil
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Patton View Post
Hi Chris-

Nice! This looks like a couple of good resources for people who are speccing out their drive systems. Your ~0.9 factor for what the actual speed of the CIM is a decent estimate for the general case, I think.

I think one of the great parts of this is your careful attention to what units are being used at each step of the process.

I agree with John's thought on making it as clear and understandeable as possible. You can never stop making it easier to use.

Not that these ideas would make it easier to use (probably the opposite ) but how about at the important parts of the calculation having a link which describes the calculation that is going on behind the scenes? Or how about a couple of plots showing the results that got generated (top speed versus gear ratio, for example). How about a pushing force calc?

Keep up the great work,
Ken
Thanks i am planning on making it a lot more user friendly and hopefully eventually make it have a nice interface.

I will put up a page on how i make these calculations so if i made a mistake you can check my math.

Im currently writing up some rough very rough calculations in excel to calculate acceleration, and how much pushing power you will have (with rough top and wedge top) and eventually make it into a web page.

Thanks

--Chris
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2008, 08:16 PM
nil
no team

Update

Added updated calculator allowing to do real time updates for final FPS when you change one of the Gearboxes or Wheels using the Presets.

Added a "How To" for doing FPS

Any Questions or comments are appreciated

--Chris
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-27-2008, 04:10 PM
nil
no team

Update

Added a "How To" for using the FPS calculator

any suggestions for improvements would be appreciated

--Chris
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2008, 11:21 PM
nil
no team

Update

Added:
Get your Reduction for desired FPS

Put in:
-your Desired Feet Per Second
-your motor RPM
-your wheel size

and it will generate your reduction required to get your desired FPS

--Chris
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2008, 11:56 PM
2017... Oooh Kill em, Swerve!
AKA: Owner, WestCoast Products
FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
R.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond repute

Chris, these are becoming more and more useful. I was wondering, are you gonna put this in an all in one package???

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: