OCCRA
Go to Post FIRST is a worthwhile program to be involved in as an Adult mentor. But for me, it does bring its share of personal conflict. ..... Cuz' you know when Jan 4/5 comes round' I'll be itchin to go gang busters again. I'll never learn - PMGRACER [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Would you rather win the National Championship or the National Chairman's Award?
National Champion 133 48.36%
National Chairman's 142 51.64%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2004, 05:27 PM
no team

BlueOrion is infamous around these parts
Re: National Championship or National Chairman's

Well, Miss Daisy won Galileo Division last year at Nationals, so this year we are definitely shooting for National Chairman's. We won the same regional two years in a row...as far as I can tell, no team has won as the SAME regional two years in a row. They switch regionals and then win it. Atlanta here we come!!!
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2004, 05:46 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Ryan F. is a jewel in the roughRyan F. is a jewel in the roughRyan F. is a jewel in the roughRyan F. is a jewel in the rough

Dosen't competing for the chairmans award totally defeat the purpose of it??

Definetly championship for me....the only chance our team would ever have.
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Door Opener Mint Mentor
AKA: Cheryl Miller
#0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Redhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Dosen't competing for the chairmans award totally defeat the purpose of it??[
No
Why Go for the Chairman's Award?
motto: Two Rival Schools, One Team...ride the Tide.
2004 So Cal Chairman's Award, Phoenix Regional DaimlerChrysler Team Spirit Award
2003 So Cal Regional Finalist and Sportsmanship Award, Phoenix Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2001 So Cal Regional and National Champions, Regional Image Award
Gracious Professionalism Poster
Mint: To invent; to forge; to fabricate; to fashion. Mentor: a wise and trusted guide and advisor.
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

If you guys really want to see what teh Chairman's Award is about come on over to the FIRST Hall of Fame display (I have no idea yet where they are setting it up) and talk to eight different previous Nation winners and they will give you the low down on why it's so important (and it's not just because you earn a ride to the championship every year neither).
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
My Other Car is a 500 HP Turbine
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1942
Chris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Miss Daisy won Galileo Division last year at Nationals, so this year we are definitely shooting for National Chairman's. We won the same regional two years in a row...as far as I can tell, no team has won as the SAME regional two years in a row. They switch regionals and then win it.

Since this is just the second year for Regional Chairman's, this is probably not a good statistic.

Doesn't competing for the chairmans award totally defeat the purpose of it??

Absolutely not. The competition is different - everybody really "wins" by all of the great things teams think of to do for other teams and the community. The potential of a chairman's award is an enticement to continue to be creative and find new ways. It provides a venue for teams to highlight what they are doing so others can copy and improve on them. The potential of the award might motivate some teams to start specific activities, but I would bet they continue with them because they get immersed in it and the good they are doing. Ask previous winners if they stopped after winning - I would guess "no".

My vote: Why not "both". They recognize different aspects of a team and they are not mutually exclusive. But if I really had to pick one, I would say "Chairman's".
2018 IndyRAGE Planning Committee
2010 - Woodie Flowers Award - Championship
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2004, 12:13 AM
OZ_341's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
#0341 (Wissahickon)

Rookie Year: 2000
OZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, I really don't think the Chairman's Award is something you can "compete" for or expect to win every year. We honestly just go about our daily work because it is fun and rewarding.

We get excited about mentoring teams, running our off-season events and working with elementary students.

It may seem hard to believe, but we really don't have any elaborate plan for winning. We just dream up fun stuff to do and then try to document it during building season. You would have to be insane to put in this many hours for a banner and a trophy. We do it because we love it!! Plain and Simple!

Good Luck to everyone in Atlanta and during the upcoming off-season!
2016 Galileo Division, #6 Seed, 9 W - 1 L
2016 MAR District Innovation in Controls Award
2016 Westtown District Finalist (thank you 4954 & 484)
2016 Westtown District Imagery Award (It took 17 yrs)
2016 Hatboro District Judge's Award
Overall Record 49 W - 21 L
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2004, 03:31 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
people expediter on Team Kluge
AKA: Jenny Beatty, no relation
no team (they are all my teams)

Rookie Year: 2002
RoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond repute

Chairman's is everything about FIRST that made me volunteer in the first place. The big picture. It's all the stuff that makes sense to me. I'll never be an engineer. I'm forever learning and have a very patient group of teens who will explain differentials and spur gears. But somewhere along the line, I've become a mentor for an a bunch of future engineers. And how cool is that?
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Build, Break, Repeat
AKA: Brandon Mensing
FRC #0246 (Overclocked)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2001
generalbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to beholdgeneralbrando is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to generalbrando

Winning in 2001 was exciting, but it's not something that is on my mind when I try to describe my achievements. Actually, except for the excitement at the event and the short lived aftermath, it hasn't been that great. I guess while I do take pride in it, I associate a low level of pride. However, when I think of something I'm very proud of and is a major achievement, starting 1020 pops into my mind instantaneously every time.

Why I feel that way, I won't say. However, I would estimate that if everyone were to experience winning the championship and then winning the chairman's, the poll would be tipped over to the chairman's side. Putting your heart into the robot and doing well is rewarding and we should never diminish that - it's why FIRST has been so successful. However, I would expect most people to find it much more rewarding, especially over a long period of time, to have made a real difference in their community, the FIRST community, and the world as a whole.

My vote is for chairman's and my 2 cents above are worth a gumball if you choose to redeem them.
Lead Mentor of Team #246, Boston University Academy and Boston University, Overclocked
www.burobotics.org

#39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2004, 08:58 PM
#0115 (Monta Vista Robotics)

Grommit will become famous soon enoughGrommit will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Grommit

The effect of Chairman's is not just to create an attitude and aura that is gracious and professional. Chairman's represents a number of achievements that have been successful in inspiring FIRST values. If done honestly and correctly, even those teams that "compete" for Chairman's are doing the world a favor, and improving the place where they live. This is the same as saying that if you win the competition fairly, without trying to break the rules, but do so for the sake of victory rather than for the challenge or enjoyment, you still learn something.
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-05-2004, 10:01 PM
#0064 (Gila Monster)

bjammin64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to bjammin64

i completely respect all chairman's award winners, but the championship is where it's at. i have pretty much thought of nothing more than winning the championship since i started seeing the signs last year after nats. that's the way it folks.

I know the secret to life. It is but to live, if it wasn't, there'd be no point in learning what the secret is now would there.
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2004, 12:27 AM
CaMOElot, it is a silly place
AKA: My First Name is really "The" (or Brian)
FRC #0365 (The Miracle Workerz); FRC#1495 (AGR); FRC#4342 (Demon)

Rookie Year: 2001
The Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to The Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fultz
Well, Miss Daisy won Galileo Division last year at Nationals, so this year we are definitely shooting for National Chairman's. We won the same regional two years in a row...as far as I can tell, no team has won as the SAME regional two years in a row. They switch regionals and then win it.

Since this is just the second year for Regional Chairman's, this is probably not a good statistic.
Actually, This is the third year for Regional Chairmans. Philadelphia Regional Chairman's Winners are : Miss Daisy in 2004 & 2003, and Miracle Workerz in 2002. I was quite suprised when Daisy won it again, because I didn't think that a team could win the same regional 2 years in a row. Good Luck at Nats Daisy!

Another odd thing about the Regional Chairman's award is that teams that have already won the National Chairman's can still win Regional Chairman's and thus can potentially win the National Award again (I think this has happened every year). I don't think National Winners should be eligable to win any Chairman's award again since there are already one of the 11 teams in the Hall of Fame and there are hundreds of teams that have never won (X-Cats should stay the only double National Winners (92 & 94) since FIRST was much smaller back then).

I already won a National Championship, and I wouldn't trade that 2001 season for any award. After winning a Regional Chairmans the next year, I would rather win National Chairman's Award than the National Championship. I am a mentor now and I would be more proud of a National Chairmans Award which acknowledges my many years of service to the team and the community rather than a National Championship which acknowledges one great robot I helped build.
Electrical & Programming Mentor ---Team #365 "The Miracle Workerz"
Programming Mentor ---Team #4342 "Demon Robotics"
Founding Mentor --- Team #1495 Avon Grove High School
2007 CMP Chairman's Award - Thanks to all MOE members (and others) past and present who made it a reality.
Robot Inspector
"I don't think I'm ever more ''aware'' than I am right after I burn my thumb with a soldering iron"
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2004, 12:31 AM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes, it seems like there's just one thing that the staff and leadership of FIRST is unambiguous about -- the importance of the Chairman's Award.

It's amazing to see that half of the people in FIRST ignore the people they hold in such high regard.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2004, 12:35 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
@JohnVNeun
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Krass
Sometimes, it seems like there's just one thing that the staff and leadership of FIRST is unambiguous about -- the importance of the Chairman's Award.

It's amazing to see that half of the people in FIRST ignore the people they hold in such high regard.
If FIRST told you to jump off a bridge... would you?

I'm always torn in this debate, but even an old "robot nerd" like me has begun to see the light of the Chairman's award. Just remember, everyone is entitled to their opinions, and just because FIRST says something is "most important" doesn't mean everyone will rank it that way in their minds.

John
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2004, 12:40 AM
FIRST Historian
no team

Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think its a matter of ignoring, nor a matter of not respecting anyone here or anyone within FIRST at all.

But we are allowed to have a differing opinion. If we weren't, then whats the point of the forum? Even though FIRST may have one opinion about it, doesn't mean that we have to totally agree with it, just as long as we respect everyone's opinion and the winners of both awards. Just because I at this time in my life prefer the Championship doesn't mean that I think Chairman's is a load of hooey - and it doesn't mean that I may never change my tune and think the other way.

I honestly don't think anyone who took a side in this at all hates the choice they didn't go with....they just have a preference, and I think that was shown beautifully in the earlier posts. And they're allowed to have that, as long as they respect the opposing opinion.
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2004, 12:43 AM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVN
If FIRST told you to jump off a bridge... would you?

I'm always torn in this debate, but even an old "robot nerd" like me has begun to see the light of the Chairman's award. Just remember, everyone is entitled to their opinions, and just because FIRST says something is "most important" doesn't mean everyone will rank it that way in their minds.

John
If they managed to, at the same time, convince me that jumping off a bridge would bring about a necessary and overdue change in how our society perceives worthwhile contributions, I probably would do it. Metaphorically speaking, I feel as if I already have in a lot of ways.

I understand that people will not always do what they're told and that they have their own opinions about what is the most important aspect of the things they participate in -- but it just seems a bit disingenuous to praise the vision and accomplishments of people like Dean and Dave and Woodie in one breath and completely ignore their sage advice and wisdom in favor of opinion in the next.

It's alarming.

Edited to add: I'm not at all suggesting that people who want to win the Championship deserve less respect than people who would rather the Chairman's Award. It should be obvious by now that I like conflict. I just don't understand how the personal accomplishment implicit in winning a Championship satisfies FIRST's goals, and I'm still undecided about the worth of people participating who harbor a varying agenda. I have to be undecided because, much of the time, I feel as FIRST doesn't even know what it's trying to do anymore.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.

Last edited by Madison : 04-06-2004 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Jessica replied as I was replying.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: