Go to Post FIRST rocks, thats for sure. - Dan Richardson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-04-2001, 04:56 PM
#0056 (ROBBE Xtreme)

Brian Savitt will become famous soon enoughBrian Savitt will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Brian Savitt
Do you think this years game will be...

As good as it was in the past, due to all the hype with Dean and "IT" or "Segway HT". So my question to you is do you think this years game will be as exciting as previous years games... And while we are on this subject what do you think this years game will be..
IMO, i think it will look somewhat like 2000's field but with stairs in the middle of the field rather than a ramp...Also footballs that will be needed to be placed in bins or goals or something to that effect rather than the troughs for the balls in 2000...

So lets hear it, we are approximately 1 month away so think about it

Brian Savitt
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-04-2001, 05:43 PM
4 out of 5 fanboys agree...
AKA: Rob Mancini
#0228 (Gus)
Team Role: Coach

OtakuRob is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to OtakuRob
In my humble opinion, I think we'll go back to the 2 on 2 format, or some variation thereof.. I think that they saw last year that some direct competion brings out a better experience.. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game last year, but I liked the direct competition format of the previous year..

Aside from that, I think that it will have something to do with stairs, possibly moving some sort of object, and lets include the carrying of some object bigger than a breadbox..

Those are just my thoughts though..
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2001, 03:06 AM
Ken Leung's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Dare to Live!
FRC #0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ken Leung
definitely a change of format...

Base on what Dean said, something like, "this one is so sick, even I am proud of it."... I have to believe that there will be some sort of format change this coming competition.

Sure it could be some sort of challenge in the game, but we've been through so many typical games with balls, and so many weird games like floopies 8 ft high, or robot hanging on the bar, or the puck, or the balancing bridge... I think we've done so many different things that any more different ones won't be too much of a surprise to us, much less a "sick" one.

Imagine how surprised we were when Dean announced the 2 vs. 2 alliance? Or the 3 times opponents' score? Or the 4 vs. 0 format?

So, I am definitely putting my bet on a weird format this coming year.

I will say, next year's game will be a weird version of 3 vs. 3, where 4 of the robots compete in the main stage, and the other two off to a side on a smaller competition of their own. They can all share a main field, and the 1 vs. 1 will have some sort of effect to the 2 vs. 2 on the main stage (maybe the 1 vs. 1 fight for a defensive position to de-score for their alliance partners?).

So there will be alliances of 3 robot, where you have to decide how to pair up two of the three robot, and if it's worth putting the best robot on a one to one match. This will require some really different robots, some really good planning to pair up different robots at a time facing some other weird combinations.

So, do we care to start a bet about this? It's almost kick off anyway. Any suggestions for the price?
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2001, 08:15 AM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at Medrobotics
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #0088 (TJ2)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
have opinions, ideas... ...keeping them to myself...

Hi all,

After last year's "The FIRST Game Unveiled Early" message from me, I have decided to keep my ideas to myself.

It was a major screwup on my part last year. At the time, I thought I was being mildly amusing, but in the end, I ended up causing a lot of people a lot of grief.

I am dying to know what the game is and I hope and pray that Dean & Woodie have designed a TV friendly, exciting game.

Time will tell.

Joe J.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2001, 10:15 AM
#0065 (Huskie Brigade)

pato is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

I totaly agree Dr. Joe, last years game was not tv friendly. I hope they designed it to be tv friendly this year.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2001, 11:24 AM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Re: have opinions, ideas... ...keeping them to myself...

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Johnson
After last year's "The FIRST Game Unveiled Early" message from me, I have decided to keep my ideas to myself.
If Joe piqued your interest, you can read the whole thread here: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/wwwboard-....2001/395.html

It's amazing how close he got it, except for the 2 vs 2 part
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2001, 12:39 PM
Dare to Live!

Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: have opinions, ideas... ...keeping them to myself...

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Johnson
Hi all,

It was a major screwup on my part last year. At the time, I thought I was being mildly amusing, but in the end, I ended up causing a lot of people a lot of grief.

I am dying to know what the game is and I hope and pray that Dean & Woodie have designed a TV friendly, exciting game.

Time will tell.

Joe J.

Well, I will have to say that ONLY Dr. Joe can pull off a trick like that AND get so much publicity about it, not to mention the phone calls people made to Dean afterward...

But, people, PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO DR. JOE this time!!! We are getting so close to kick off now (31 days to be exact), and a little bet of the game won't hurt! Besides, no one will ever believe you after last year, Dr. Joe. So come on in and post your prediction, whether it's just the format of the game, or the entire game itself.

I've decided to start a little prediction competition, and the price will be one scrub pants for each of the two closest guess to the competition!!! (for more info of the scrub pants, take a look at this link: Help an alum, wear scrub pants this season! )

Yes, that's right. If you take a random guess of the game, and turns out you are one of the two closest to the actual competition, you will win a pair of scrub pants made by Jessica Boucher's lovely company (you won't have to pay, of course...). You can even decide the logo yourself!

I would hate to set a minimum number of people participating in this, because I don't want to give the price to the only two people who participated and win by default.

I know you all have been making guesses now and then at here and there, but now, it's time to take it seriously, and win a price!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2001, 03:38 PM
Nice Guy
no team

Tom Fairchild will become famous soon enoughTom Fairchild will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Tom Fairchild
I've said it before in other threads, and I'll say it again. I think that rope would be cool. maybe having them strung across the field, maybe having the pull them in, maybe even having to tie knots with (ick! Now that'd be hard!!). But in general, rope would be a heck of a lot of fun to work with.

~Tom Fairchild~, who definitly thinks that water will NOT be a part of the competition next year. ;-)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2001, 04:47 PM
El Jefe de 148
AKA: Midwest Refugee
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2001
Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute
We've seen really large balls in the game, but what about really small balls? Maybe we'll get a game where we have to pick up 300 tennis balls. It might be interesting to design something to move a large amount of small objects like that.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2001, 04:58 PM
#0292 (PantherTech)

tonyk is an unknown quantity at this point
300 Tennis balls? I'd say the refs would object to that one!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2001, 05:50 PM
B.C.O.M. Forever!
AKA: Brian Gattman
no team (FRC2910 - Jack in the Bot / FRC365 - MOE)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
gniticxe will become famous soon enough
lol...i would too
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2001, 05:57 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
Clark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute
Tennis Balls.......

Hmmm...tennis balls......I think it would be cool to have tennis balls that would need to be scored in goals that are along the perimeter of the field (that can be tipped over or rotated to spill the balls)...Then it would be cool to have the player stations above the field....so u have to look down to control the robots....(maybe have a glass floor so u can see through it)....

I know it seems way out there, but i think it could be a possibility.

(Edit: Editted to stay on topic.)

Last edited by Clark Gilbert : 12-05-2001 at 07:33 PM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2001, 05:59 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
Re: Tennis Balls.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Clark Gilbert
Hmmm...tennis balls......werent they used in the very "FIRST" year of FIRST?? i think they were...

yeah, tennis balls and KoRn. uhhh... i mean corn. i'm waiting for the new KoRn cd to come out.

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2001, 06:35 PM
Dare to Live!

Unhappy

Please.... I am trying to do this seriously... but I guess no one is really interested, with all the off topic posts and all...

Oh well, your lose.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2001, 06:36 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Leung
Please.... I am trying to do this seriously... but I guess no one is really interested, with all the off topic posts and all...

Oh well, your lose.
i'm sorry ken. i get off too easily

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: