OCCRA
Go to Post Honestly, no one at a FIRST competition is gonna judge you. Chances are, there are least 20 people dorkier than you. - JohnnyB [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Awards > Chairman's Award
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-26-2002, 10:28 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
#0131 (C.H.A.O.S.)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 1994
David Kelso has much to be proud ofDavid Kelso has much to be proud ofDavid Kelso has much to be proud ofDavid Kelso has much to be proud ofDavid Kelso has much to be proud ofDavid Kelso has much to be proud ofDavid Kelso has much to be proud ofDavid Kelso has much to be proud ofDavid Kelso has much to be proud ofDavid Kelso has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to David Kelso
New Submission Format for Chairman's Award

So much for trying to decide which video editing software we should use...the question now is, what color should the 4 pieces of paper be?????????????????????????
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2002, 08:36 AM
no team (NEW Apple Corps)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Katie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Katie Reynolds Send a message via Yahoo to Katie Reynolds
... Huh?

- Katie
Team #93 - NEW Apple Corps
Student - 2001-2004
Team #857 - Superior Roboworks
Mentor - 2006-2009
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2002, 01:15 PM
not on CD enough...
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
OneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of light
uhhh

You...mean....they...changed....it?
I sure hope not- I checked the first website and there was nothing on changing the submission format...

You're kidding us, right? Please tell me you are
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2002, 03:35 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
#0131 (C.H.A.O.S.)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 1994
David Kelso has much to be proud ofDavid Kelso has much to be proud ofDavid Kelso has much to be proud ofDavid Kelso has much to be proud ofDavid Kelso has much to be proud ofDavid Kelso has much to be proud ofDavid Kelso has much to be proud ofDavid Kelso has much to be proud ofDavid Kelso has much to be proud ofDavid Kelso has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to David Kelso
New Procedure

Saturday Night, an email was sent to team contacts with some new information (no mention of Nationals so do not ask). The main point was that the Chairman's Award entry would be presented on 4 sheets of paper. Your advisors should have the details for you very soon....so, no video, animations, dvds, cd's etc. Short , concise and to the point.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2002, 03:45 PM
Volunteer for hire
no team

Aaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to behold
ohh boy

Wait till I tell our chairman teams about this.

</Sarcasam> They will be soooooo thrilled </Sarcasam>
Field Reset Extraordinaire
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2002, 04:04 PM
AKA: Ryan
#0093 (NEW Apple Corps)

Rookie Year: 2000
RBrandy is a jewel in the roughRBrandy is a jewel in the roughRBrandy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to RBrandy
did the email say any thing for reasoning behind this?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2002, 04:07 PM
rbayer's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Blood, Sweat, and Code
no team (Teamless Orphan)

rbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to rbayer
Does it have to be text only? Or can we submit pictures along with it? I can't even imagine trying to describe our team in four pages without some form of visual.

Well, I guess that solves the problem of my team not having anybody who likes video editing. Now we just need a group that likes writing essays.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2002, 07:29 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Jordan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Jordan
The E-mail Attachment

This is the file that was attached to the e-mail Mr. Kelso referred to. It covers the changes to Chairman's.

--Jordan
Attached Files
File Type: doc 2003chairmanawarddefinition -cmn3.doc (39.0 KB, 268 views)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2002, 07:42 PM
Harrison..Just ask!!
#0048 (Team E.L.I.T.E (Encouraging Learning In Technology & Engineering))

Shelley_delphi chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Shelley_delphi chick Send a message via AIM to Shelley_delphi chick
wow.....

That is an interesting subject, four pages to convey what my team is about? Our script for our chairman's award last year I think was seven or eight pages and now we are limited to four pages. I hope our interviews will help in the judging process, becaue I know myself that there is no way I could present everything my team has done in four pages. As leader and head person in charge of chairman's award submission this presents a major challenge to me on a personal level. What do all of you guys think of this?
Team #48
"Building The Future Together"
Adopted by #365
GO MOE!!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2002, 07:51 PM
Door Opener Mint Mentor
AKA: Cheryl Miller
#0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Redhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of light
Drops head into hand

Our team's never submitted before. We've been working on preparations for months. Just today was working with our new very cool video software. Had the graphics done already, a student writing script today.

*mixed feelings*

We've got it all written out, so the 4 pages will be easily done by us, and will easily display what's chairman like about our team.

We're now prepared to make very cool video about our team.
motto: Two Rival Schools, One Team...ride the Tide.
2004 So Cal Chairman's Award, Phoenix Regional DaimlerChrysler Team Spirit Award
2003 So Cal Regional Finalist and Sportsmanship Award, Phoenix Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2001 So Cal Regional and National Champions, Regional Image Award
Gracious Professionalism Poster
Mint: To invent; to forge; to fabricate; to fashion. Mentor: a wise and trusted guide and advisor.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2002, 08:13 PM

Shawn is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Very disappointing...

I personally think that this was a bad idea. I think that making us write an essay on our team will be a major problem simply because our team will not stand out. Everything will look the same. Maybe some team will play with font colors or styles, but that's about it. And a team could easily dramatize anything or (if desperate) make things up.

Video presentations provide a unique "flavor" to your presentation. There are so many ways to do it, and really interesting video of things your team has done will make your presentation stand out.

Having to do an essay format could limit the creativity of the teams and could make the most exciting of events seem dull and ordinary. Besides, making a video is a lot more fun than writing an essay... I'm sure we all have had enough writing to do in English class . I really hope FIRST changes it back.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2002, 08:49 PM
Door Opener Mint Mentor
AKA: Cheryl Miller
#0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Redhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of light
Lightbulb maybe other opportunities

Perhaps they won't change it back regarding the chairman's award, but maybe they'd make a new award for best

fundraising video
or
about our team video
or
Our community and our team video
or
about our region video

cuz

www.californiaconnected.org
for instance accepts video documentary
our cable channel is looking for video stories regarding school district activities...
motto: Two Rival Schools, One Team...ride the Tide.
2004 So Cal Chairman's Award, Phoenix Regional DaimlerChrysler Team Spirit Award
2003 So Cal Regional Finalist and Sportsmanship Award, Phoenix Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2001 So Cal Regional and National Champions, Regional Image Award
Gracious Professionalism Poster
Mint: To invent; to forge; to fabricate; to fashion. Mentor: a wise and trusted guide and advisor.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2002, 09:06 PM
AKA: Amber Hannay-Denslow
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
Amber H. will become famous soon enough
Aw come on you guys, I know it's tough but you can do it!
I know that it might be really hard for some teams to express all that they need to in four pages, but it can be done. You may start off with ten pages. However, with the right editing you will be able to make a very powerful statement if you can get your point accross with fewer words.
A lot of professional writers have this problem when they make their first submissions. Their books are often several hundred pages too long. They have to cut, cut, cut, until they have a product that won't lose the interest of the reader (or the editor). (Not that I'm any kind of example with some of the log posts I've made. )
Once you get the hang of it, you will figure out what is really important to get accross to whomever is reading your pages.
This could really become an excellent opportunity to sharpen your communication skills.

Opera Company, SUU.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2002, 09:15 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
i dont understand how they are now going to present the chairmans awards at nationals. the video's were the best way to present them, and now they wont be able to do it. this is really going to hurt our chances now because we have already gotten started on this years chairmans with makeing a video and such. there's going to be lots of unhappy people...

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2002, 09:20 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)
Team Role: Engineer

Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very disappointing...

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawn
I personally think that this was a bad idea. I think that making us write an essay on our team will be a major problem simply because our team will not stand out. Everything will look the same.
Maybe that's precisely the point?

A whiz-bang "wow" video editing job doesn't do anything whatsoever to show what your team has done that's worth being considered in deciding upon a Chairman's Award recipient.

Videos, animations, and that sort just give teams the ability to dress up what they've done, gloss over things, and overwhelm judges with a false, manufactured facade.

It's a bit like some of Hollywood - All bang, no substance.

Four pages of written word, coupled with a few adeptly chosen photos, will be a better indicator of the drive, effort, and impact of a given team than any cleverly edited video tape. It puts everyone on an equal playing field - a core tenet of this program, in my mind.

I like it. It's fair to everyone, it's less time consuming for the judges to evaluate, it eliminates problems with software or hardware incompatabilities, and it allows judges to carry and easily reference your entry as they meet your team and its members.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: