OCCRA
Go to Post Which puts us precisely where we were six months ago, but slightly more entertained. - cadandcookies [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Announcements
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2002, 10:05 AM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus
A Public Service Announcement, in a way.

So, I've noticed a number of new (and veteran) users who haven't quite got the hang of all the essential features that are included with vBulletin, the forum software we use. I thought I'd go ahead and explain a few of the essentials, to hopefully prevent a few double-posts and such.

Edit
There is an edit button on every post. If you are the owner of this post, you can edit it. When you post something, and then realize 2-3 minutes later that you forgot to say something, try to edit the post, rather than post another right after it. Thats the whole purpose of the edit button.

If you want to reference someone's post above, click the 'quote' button on their posts. This will start a new reply with their text already quoted/bolded/etc. A few people have bolded, italicized, and such, which is inconsistent with how 90% of the users normally quote text. Thats the whole purpose of the qoute button.

Preview Post
Take a look at what you're going to post before you post it. You may realize something is missing, looks wrong, or shouldn't be said before you post it. It may help in the long run.

Report post to moderator
Rather than harrass someone who's posted something, and risk causing even more problems, hold off on replying-to/yelling-at the user publically, and report the post to a moderator. The post will get reviewed, and if any necessary action is required ... it will be dealt with. This causes less hassle, less flaming/harrassing/bickering/etc and make the forum environment a little less crazy.

Search
If you're going to write 'I dont know if someone posted this or not but ...' at the top of your message, at least go search for the topic before writing that. The search is pretty easy, semi-effective, and doesn't take more than 2 minutes. Doing this will keep the forums more orderly and easier to read. I would rather look at 1 long thread on a topic, rather than flipping between 4 different threads on a single topic.

Anyway. If I think of any more helpful hints, I'll reply to this thread. Feel free to do the same.

Thanks,
Brandon

-edit-
Another thing to remember: Sarcasm does not come across too well in text.

Last edited by Brandon Martus : 08-28-2002 at 10:13 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2002, 12:34 PM
\: |
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
FotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to FotoPlasma
So as to bump this back up to the top of the new threads list, I will post.

A note on sarcasm:
You can enclose a sarcastic comment in pseudo-html, which usually gets the message across.

<sarcasm>
Ooooohh! A sarcasm detector! Now that's useful!
</sarcasm>

*sarcasm detector explodes*

2001-2004: Team 258, The Sea Dawgs
2005: Team 1693, The Robo Lobos
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-28-2002, 09:55 PM
Boom, Shawalala Boom!
#0862 (PCEP Lighting)

Trashed20 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trashed20
or if you want to not say someones name if you are accusing them of doig something stupid you can always *cough*trashed20sucks*cough* but you might catch a cold, or something like that
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-04-2002, 12:04 AM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel
Quote:
Originally posted by FotoPlasma
So as to bump this back up to the top of the new threads list, I will post.

A note on sarcasm:
You can enclose a sarcastic comment in pseudo-html, which usually gets the message across.

<sarcasm>
Ooooohh! A sarcasm detector! Now that's useful!
</sarcasm>

*sarcasm detector explodes*
Nice Mr. Jim.

Mr. Brandon: This was needed, thanks.

Wetzel
~~~~~~~
*bump*
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-03-2002, 02:36 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus
An addition to my original message.

Delete: You are able to delete your message for the first 24 hours. After that, then contact a moderator by way of e-mail, PM, or the 'report this post to a moderator', and they can delete it for you.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2004, 08:10 AM
Tie Wrap-Not Cable Tie or Zip tie
AKA: Stephen Denman
FRC #0759 (Systemetric)

Rookie Year: 2003
Denman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Denman Send a message via AIM to Denman Send a message via MSN to Denman Send a message via Yahoo to Denman
Re: A Public Service Announcement, in a way.

Sometimes its usefull to type /me does something to show an action that you might perform.

eg
/me builds a robot
or
/me Falls asleep on keyboard and starts typing rubbish...foganr;ghojkernb;kebfpgh

FIRSTWiki.org - Contribute, learn, inspire.

"Teach the way of the GP and the way of the GP shall teach you" - Me
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-18-2004, 09:40 AM

rosie6 is an unknown quantity at this point

how do you post with out replying to something (what button do you push)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Martus
So, I've noticed a number of new (and veteran) users who haven't quite got the hang of all the essential features that are included with vBulletin, the forum software we use. I thought I'd go ahead and explain a few of the essentials, to hopefully prevent a few double-posts and such.

Edit
There is an edit button on every post. If you are the owner of this post, you can edit it. When you post something, and then realize 2-3 minutes later that you forgot to say something, try to edit the post, rather than post another right after it. Thats the whole purpose of the edit button.

If you want to reference someone's post above, click the 'quote' button on their posts. This will start a new reply with their text already quoted/bolded/etc. A few people have bolded, italicized, and such, which is inconsistent with how 90% of the users normally quote text. Thats the whole purpose of the qoute button.

Preview Post
Take a look at what you're going to post before you post it. You may realize something is missing, looks wrong, or shouldn't be said before you post it. It may help in the long run.

Report post to moderator
Rather than harrass someone who's posted something, and risk causing even more problems, hold off on replying-to/yelling-at the user publically, and report the post to a moderator. The post will get reviewed, and if any necessary action is required ... it will be dealt with. This causes less hassle, less flaming/harrassing/bickering/etc and make the forum environment a little less crazy.

Search
If you're going to write 'I dont know if someone posted this or not but ...' at the top of your message, at least go search for the topic before writing that. The search is pretty easy, semi-effective, and doesn't take more than 2 minutes. Doing this will keep the forums more orderly and easier to read. I would rather look at 1 long thread on a topic, rather than flipping between 4 different threads on a single topic.

Anyway. If I think of any more helpful hints, I'll reply to this thread. Feel free to do the same.

Thanks,
Brandon

-edit-
Another thing to remember: Sarcasm does not come across too well in text.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-18-2004, 11:54 AM
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

Rookie Year: 2002
Collin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeCollin Fultz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie6
how do you post with out replying to something (what button do you push)
at the bottom of the thread page is a "post reply" button that allows a generic post...or simply delete the quoted part in the post.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-28-2004, 09:38 AM
Tie Wrap-Not Cable Tie or Zip tie
AKA: Stephen Denman
FRC #0759 (Systemetric)

Denman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Denman Send a message via AIM to Denman Send a message via MSN to Denman Send a message via Yahoo to Denman

if you are going to moan about something in a semi grumpy way, do this

<Rant>
grumble grumble useless team grumble...
</rant>

FIRSTWiki.org - Contribute, learn, inspire.

"Teach the way of the GP and the way of the GP shall teach you" - Me
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Seriously I'm almost never serious!
AKA: Eric Schnabel
FRC #0469

Schnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond reputeSchnabel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashed20
or if you want to not say someones name if you are accusing them of doig something stupid you can always *cough*trashed20sucks*cough* but you might catch a cold, or something like that
You forgot your sarcasm identifiers!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2007, 10:44 PM
FRC #1685

Mr. L is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the difference between quickreply and regular reply (aside from the obvious)? Is a regular reply read before it is posted?
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2007, 10:25 AM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. L View Post
What is the difference between quickreply and regular reply (aside from the obvious)? Is a regular reply read before it is posted?
The only diffrence is where you type your response, now in how it is viewed or posted. Also, the proper place for this question would be CD Forum Support

That said, gravedigs are bad, m'kay?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2007, 10:27 AM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetzel View Post

That said, gravedigs are bad, m'kay?
What's a gravedig?

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2007, 10:41 AM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgin Clock View Post
What's a gravedig?
Thread necromancy. This is the third time this thread has been revived when it should have been let to rest.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-04-2007, 09:39 PM
FRC #1745 (P-51 Mustangs)

Rookie Year: 2005
Pavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond reputePavan Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetzel View Post
Thread necromancy. This is the third time this thread has been revived when it should have been let to rest.
Its missing something...

Spoilers:
Spoiler for Title of Spoiler Tag:
If you are posting something that may call for a "Spoiler Alert" or something, please use the {Spoiler][/Spoiler} Tags..

PHP Code:
[spoiler=Title of Spoiler TagInsert whatever you want spoiled... [/spoiler
.... If you don't have the "="+"text" after the "[spoiler" but before the "]" it will not work.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: