Go to Post It's not a problem, it's a feature! - smokescreen [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2004, 10:10 AM
RoboShow Producer
AKA: DJ Royal Fusion
no team (RoboShow)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Swan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond reputeSwan217 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Swan217
Media at Nationals

I know media attention is great, because it's always good to let other people know about FIRST, but did anyone else think that the media was being somewhat, I don't know, INTRUSIVE to Nationals this year?

Was anyone else a bit peeved when this camera lady (apperently Dean's stalker) poked her head out through the curtain over Dean's shoulder during closing ceremonies ON CAMERA???
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pi...gle&picid=7926
I admit it was amusing, but wasn't it also in bad taste and distracting to the audience?

Were all of the cameras that were allowed on the field interfering with driving the robot/human player scoring? Because it was distracting for some referees (me, for example) who kept bumping into the camera crew while watching the matches. In fact, a few times robots missed cameramen by inches because they weren't paying attention. I could even understand one person taking pictures, but isn't the entire camera crew a bit excessive?

Yes I know that some teams were having documentaries done about their team, but there has to be a less "In-Your-Face" way of broadcasting that they can use.

My point is: shouldn't there be a better way for the media to cover FIRST events? Do they REALLY need to be down on the field for matches? Does anyone else think that there should be SOME restrictions on where the press can go and when they can be there?

I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on this. I know it's not a big problem, but I was just wondering.

Follow The RoboShow on Twitter @RoboShowLive & check out our website, www.theroboshow.net

Follow RoboVision on Twitter @RoboVisionOD & check out our website, www.robovisionod.com

"As president, I believe that robotics can inspire young people to pursue science and engineering. And I also want to keep an eye on those robots in case they try anything."
President Barack Obama
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2004, 10:21 AM
I named Greg Needel's cat!
AKA: Dave DeLong
no team (Rhode Warriors)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
MrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to MrToast
Re: Media at Nationals

This would be REALLY expensive, but would solve it:

Have robotic cameras all around the fields. The cameras would be controlled by FIRST, for FIRST. No camera crews within 50 feet of the field. If they want better shots, then they buy the footage off of FIRST's robotic cameras. And the robotic cameras don't have to bee that big, maybe the size of a coffee mug or something.

(And I agree completely with your post )
(#121, 2004) Archimedes semi-finalists with 237 and 386! I had an awesome time guys, and thanks for the hat!
(#121, 2004) BC5 semi-finalists with 190 and 1027! Awesome time! We went further than I thought we could! Thanks for all your help w/ our transmission!
(#121, 2005) Galileo quarter-finalists with 47 and 203! Thanks for all your support through the stress!
------------------------------
If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40
------------------------------
"It'll all work out in the end, and if it doesn't, it's not the end." - Jeff Bullock
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2004, 10:30 AM
Wake Up Get Up Get Out There
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, there are TONS of space behind the field, yet they wanted to do all the interviews right infront of the field, right infront of the audience. As I said before in another thread, it seemed more like Dean wasn't as into it as he was when I was at Disney. He seemed overwhelmed by the media.

Oh well, that's a small trade-off for growth that we all will have to deal with.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2004, 10:35 AM
AKA: Aaron Bradshaw
#0900 (Team Infinity)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
aaronbr28040 is just really niceaaronbr28040 is just really niceaaronbr28040 is just really niceaaronbr28040 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to aaronbr28040

A possible solution to the interview problem is to set up an interview area outside of the arena for media to use. There were plenty of room at the dome and surrounding buildings for something like this. This would get the interviews away from the field, but it might not satisfy some media crews who want their interviews to be right where the action is.
-Aaron
AIM:aaronbr28040

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Grow Up? Why?
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
Steve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond repute

I was doing announcining on Curie field and had some problems with camera people. It got to the point that I told them to stay off of the grey carpet and I just walked in front of them. If they did come on the carpet and I bumped into them that was their problem. I seemed to have more meetings with the FIRST camera men than the outsiders. We also had a camera on a boom over the field that was out of the way but able to get shots. I am not sure what it was for because in was never on the video screen.

I know as an announcer I am suppose to sit at the table but After being prodded to try I walked the sidelines. With all that was happening with field reset, camera people, referees and visitors between the scoring table and the field it was much easier to announce while walking and less people got hit by flying objects hurled from my position. Cameras and media will always take liberties that is how they get such good shots. If they prevent you from doing your job then the issue needs to be addressed.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2004, 12:31 PM
Superpower: Knows Everyone
AKA: Sara Reffler
FRC #1089 (Team Mercury)
Team Role: Mentor

BandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BandChick

On Newton the Tech TV guy came and did a segment, which pushed timing back a little, but he did hype up the crowd. That's the only positive I've seen from all this media spotlighting, other than showing more people what FIRST is about. Yes, it's frustrating to see all these cameras in your face, but just think what FIRST can become with all the national coverage.

FIRST is expanding, and Dean always wanted more people to know about FIRST, that's why most teams do things like community outreach. And this is just community outreach on a larger level. It'll prove to be positive, and you'll get used to it in time.

Houston userbars are here, Detroit still to come!

1089 Mentor & Alum | 2018 MAR Championship Finalists
2015 Archimedes Champions | 2015 Einstein Semi-Finalists
2014 & 2016 MAR Championship Finalists | 2014 Bridgewater District Finalists | 2013 Lenape District Finalists | 2011 NJ Regional Finalists
2014 & 2015 Excellence in Engineering Award | 2014 Xerox Creativity Award | 2016 & 2017 Innovation in Control Award
2009, 2011, 2013 KCP&B Entrepreneurship Award | 2012 Gracious Professionalism Award | 2009 NJ Regional Chairman's Award

"Success in life is a matter not so much of talent or opportunity as of concentration and perseverance." C.W. Wendte
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2004, 12:58 PM
#0233 (Space Coast FIRST Robotics (The Pink Team))

Steve-0 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Steve-0

Our drive team was being interviewed by CNN (if i remember right) and the pit team had no idea where they were. We were freaking out because it was after we tipped over and we wanted to check out the robot and make sure it was all right. When they got back they held up a destroyed tether. We asked them how it happened and they said they were demoing the robot for the interviewer and when they went to take out the cord from the control box, they ripped it out wrong and broke the tether. Needless to say, the drive team was forbidden from touching the new tether...

"When all else fails, hit it with a hammer"

2004 Pit Crew
2003 Human Player

2004 New York Regional Champions (Thanks Teams 522 and 759)
2003 Pacific Northwest Regional Champions (Thanks Teams 368 and 753)
2002 Archimedes Division Champions (Thanks Teams 25 and 118)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the media have become too invasive at the competitions. I believe that we reach that point when the presence of the media affects the play and outcome of the matches. And we are already there.

In at least one match at the Championships, the boom camera actually struck a robot, and knocked the 2X ball out of the robot's grasp. The alliance eventually lost that match. They could have made a reasonable argument regarding external interference, but chose not to do so.

The current practice of "free-range media" has an effect on the game in other ways as well. Because FIRST doesn't restrict their movements, the media members congregate at the front and sides of the field, where they can get the best views (and camera images) of the game play. But (as noted above) by being there, they consistently block the view of the field by the scoring table, the officials, and the audience. This has a direct impact on the ability of the officials to do their jobs, and the ability of the audience to observe the game.

Plus (and this is my real peeve), allowing cameras at the front of the field enables the media to get great close-up shots of the game - but almost every one of these images is horrible for FIRST. Right now, the media show wonderful images to the rest of the country of games in front of black curtains or backgrounds of empty seats. This sends the message to the audience that this really ISN'T a spectator sport, and it never will be. This is exactly what FIRST does not need. Consider the following:

To me, this photo, taken from the front side of the field, says "hey, nice game going on in the middle of the field, but it can't be all that important. Look at all the empty space behind the field, and the few people just lined up against the black curtain looking around. And behind the black curtain there is just a lot of empty space with nothing interesting. Yeah, the people playing the game are excited, but there is hardly anyone else to care."

Conversely, this photo, taken from the back side of the field, says to me "hey nice game going on the in the middle of the field. A lot of people in the audience, watching the game. And they are paying a lot of attention to whatever is going on - so this must be important!"

The solution to all three of these problems is simple: restrict media to the area between the back of the field and the black curtain, in the zone where teams stage for upcoming matches. This gets them out of the way of the officials and the audience, but still allows the media to have an excellent view of the game. It keeps them far enough back from the field that interference is unlikely (or at least less likely). It allows them to conduct quick spot-interviews with teams about to take the field (making for great "before-and-after" stories). And it allows (even forces) them to get shots of the game with a real, excited audience in the background! This is the type of image that FIRST wants to get out to the rest of the country, and the type of image that is necessary for the "unwashed masses" to become interested in what we are doing.

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2004, 02:57 PM
VP, ingenuityNE (NE FIRST)
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Michael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Sperber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery
The current practice of "free-range media" has an effect on the game in other ways as well. Because FIRST doesn't restrict their movements, the media members congregate at the front and sides of the field, where they can get the best views (and camera images) of the game play.
So the real question is how to we control the media is such a way that they do not interfere with the game/competition, but also get the images that they want and need? Of course, the follow-on question revolves around whether the image that the "want and need" is actually the best image for telling the whole story.

One solution I will propose is that a Media Guide is provided to each and every media crew that covers the event. These Guides will have an understanding of FIRST, the game, etc., and will be able to answer most questions that the media may have. These Guides will also know the areas where media crews will be allowed (certain areas around the field).

But the great thing about these Guides is that they will know what to look out for, whether it is a spectacular move, a dramatic event, etc. and can help point these things out to their media charges.

These Guides will have to work with their media guests to assure that they get the the shots that they need for their story.

I think we want the media to be a part of the event. But we dont want them to interfere... It is a fine line... We just need to figure out how to make it work for everybody invovled (FIRST, the teams, the sponsors, and the media).

-mike
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2004, 03:08 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2003
Bharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bharat Nain Send a message via MSN to Bharat Nain

The media men were definately in our faces. I remember at one of our matches the camera guy was right in front of me almost causing me to drop the robot(which could have been really serious).

We definately should take steps to prevent such things. I feel they should have a limit to how close they can get to the field, and also somebody talks to them about how not to inferfere and why not. It is definatley a great plus point to be filmed by the media and interviews etc...,.

Let's hope FIRST takes steps to prevent such stuff for future events, but at the same time give the media a fair amount of closeness so that they can get good footage and pictures all around.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2004, 03:36 PM
Wake Up Get Up Get Out There
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute

*NOTE*This post is a continuation of Dave's post. Read his first for more info*NOTE*

I too see the problem we are having, and not just the problem where the media is affecting the game, but where it almost seems that instead of FIRST trying to run an event for the kids, they are running a huge press release for the media. Now, while media coverage is good for FIRST, I think FIRST needs to limit the media, here's what I suggest...

FIRST Championship Media Proposal

This proposal will fix three things wrong with the current media 'problem' at regional and championship events.

Problem: Current media at FIRST events has a total run of a place. They can literally pull over any team to interview them anywhere they want. Television crews can go anywhere they want. FIRST needs to limit their access to make it feel more like an event for the teams and kids than a huge press event.

Solutions:

Large Mike & Camera Booms- Mike and camera booms have caused problems with robots and matches, while they offer good above views, they get too close sometimes and very often the operators want to get right next to the robots for action shots, forgetting that this is a competition and anything can happen. You don't see camera men and booms floating a few feet away in football games. No, those are far away. The solution for this problem is above, as in a place where nobody goes and nothing is happening, and is far away from the teams. The second floor balcony is far enough away, yet close enough for good shots. Crews could even set up mini booms up there that'll go out a few feet and could pan and move. This could be used with other stationary cameras near the field to give the illusion of you being in the action without having to risk outside interference. This situation also has an added benefit of being out of the view of the audience so they can see the action.

Interviews- One instance of this is the most memorable, it's with MOE after one of their matches. Once they won, they were immediately pulled over for a long interview infront of the field, even when matches where going on, preventing some from seeing whats going on. It's not MOE's fault, but CNN and the access problems. But on the other hand, TechTV's interviews were behind the curtain and out of the way, which is a great thing. The solution for this would for this would be to have a 'robot victory lane' (we are all winners, remember!) that the press would set up next to. When they wanted an interview, they would pull over a team if they needed to and interview them. This will give everyone the same chance and also push the media to the side so they won't be infront the of the field. If you want to get really organized, have a media outlet focused on one field each, have CNN on Curie, ABC on Newton, TechTV on Galileo, and so forth and so on.

Press on the ground (or also known as 'The cameras are breeding like rabbits on viagra!)- As noted in other places, the biggest problem is the large amount of press walking around the field, both from teams and from media outlets. At times they block the few, and even worse they inhibit scoring of the game. What is a helpless team going to do?!?! Well, lets go back to kindergarten, when at some schools (at least mine) we used colored carpet to separate groups and locations. There would be three sets of credentials on the play field:

Media pass-for team media and the media. This pass would give access to an area next to the curtain, behind the curtain, and some places behind the player stations with red carpet.

General drive crew access- This allows for access to anywhere except the field.

'Robo movers' pass- They would get access to the same as the drive crew pass, but they will have access to the field for removal and placement of the robot before and after matches after scoring is done. There will only be two per team who have this access.

All these recommendations are based on what I've seen at the Championship this past April. If FIRST already has programs like this in place, then they weren't immediately obvious to me while in the stands. Yet this isn't the only problem. I miss the days when Dean when through all of the pits and talked to teams, I didn't see any of that this year. I didn't see the governor of Georgia there, and he is in the same city! Yet at Epcot, Gov Bush was there, and he had a long drive/fly to get there!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2004, 07:46 PM
FIRST Historian
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute

Okay. Who's bright idea was it to post a thread I really want to answer thouroughly in the middle of my finals?

Anyway, my first question is, what happened? Back in the day (positive reps to whomever remembers when Sandra ran media for FIRST ) a lot of these solutions that we're suggesting were in place. There were specific areas for media crews, we walked the news crews around that would be most likely to make the most disturbance, we had the media platform to keep the crews off the field (as much as everyone hated that thing, it did alleviate the issue somewhat).

It could just be that the bar has been raised on what is considered "good" press since then...and because of that the "power of the supplier of media" (aka, the media itself) has strengthened...thus giving FIRST less leverage in getting them to come to the event. Because of this, FIRST may need to offer more access than has been offered in the past, just to get the crews to come. We're also not thinking about any extraneous contracts that FIRST may have made without us knowing. Maybe CNN had a contract with FIRST for certain access in exchange for air time on their stations, and TechTV had a different contract with different terms.

So what does FIRST need to do?
-Make the venue work. All of these suggestions (the use of the 2nd balcony, the winners area, etc) are great, and should be put back into place. Is this just a matter of growing pains dealing with Arena-style FIRST? If it is, then it should be one of the summer's objectives to make this work by Nationals 2005.
-Stand up for itself. Bring everyone's aforementioned suggestions to be, but in return, setup a press conference with Dean, or something equally attractive. All it takes is a bit of negotiation.

Of course, to bring these things to be, we all know what this means...more volunteers. And although the media job is rather interesting, if we are in a general volunteer shortage, then we're going to have trouble finding people to fill the void, no matter what. My solution to that? Approach a local Atlanta college communications or media relations academic department and open the positions to them as an experience-based volunteering job or an extra credit assignment. You would have people fighting over the positions!

-Jessica "I feel old because I was in the media tent in 2000" Boucher
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Galactic Doughnut!!
#0418 (Purple Haze)
Team Role: Programmer

Scooter will become famous soon enoughScooter will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Scooter

Perhaps the nationals should look to the regionals for guidance. I know at the lone star regional, there is a specific media aera off to the side of one field. All of the shots from that aera are decent, it is close up, and does not interfere with the robot or game traffic. It seems like a simple, workable solution: Let the media roam free(un the middle), but when they are near a playing field, they have to be in their box.

Oh...and the camera booms were for TechTV

-Bill
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2004, 12:55 PM
Now an AIR Striker....
FRC #0078

Rookie Year: 1997
Tom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Schindler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
Oh...and the camera booms were for TechTV
I know at least one of the booms was for TBS, they are doing a special on team...

Tom
2010-? - AIR Strike (Team #78)
2007-2009- Rhode Warriors (Team #121)
2003 - Team #190
1997-2002 - Bobcat Robotics (Team #177)
http://www.tomschindler.net
http://www.drivexc.com
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Amanda Morrison's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
17 awesome years of FRC!
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
Amanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Schindler
I know at least one of the booms was for TBS, they are doing a special on team...
There was also a cameraman that Dave and I talked to from MTV, I believe they were profiling some students.

I completely agree with Dave Lavery... restrict those cameras, but don't necessarily just leave them on the wayside. In St. Louis, there had to be announcements made because the media flocked the field and ended up just getting in the way (students being blocked from putting up their controls because there are pictures being taken, robot carts running over camerabags lying everywhere, etc.). While this can't get out of hand, it's still an important part of FIRST. We may need publicity, but we don't need field fiascos every few minutes.

Alumna - Teams 71, 1020, 1720, 148, 1296
2002 World Champions (Team 71) | 2008 World Champions (Team 148)
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: