OCCRA
Go to Post I am a FRC Coach/Mentor I don't know the meaning of the words "days off" or "rest". At least not from January to May. - Bob Steele [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Off-Season Events
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-13-2018, 04:45 PM
FRC #4039

Shifter is a splendid one to beholdShifter is a splendid one to beholdShifter is a splendid one to beholdShifter is a splendid one to beholdShifter is a splendid one to beholdShifter is a splendid one to beholdShifter is a splendid one to behold
2018 STEMley Cup Championship

The Fourth Annual STEMley Cup Championship

hosted by MakeShift (4039) and Celt-X (5406)

when: Saturday, November 3, 2018 (Friday evening load-in)
where: St. Mary Catholic Secondary School, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
capacity: 30 teams
details: http://stemleycup.wordpress.com

Highlights:
  • STEMley buddy system, providing a boost to pre-rookie teams looking to compete for the first time!
  • on-field minute-to-win-it action!
  • can STEMley add a little extra excitement and suspense to the Power Up end game? Get ready to cheer on robots making last-30-second dashes to score one of our STEMley CUBEs (aka "STUBEs") before the buzzer sounds! Check the STEMley website in the coming weeks for a full description of rule changes.
Volunteers:

STEMley prides itself on it's amazing volunteers who ensure that the event runs smoothly and that teams have a quality experience. If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out our volunteer registration form.

Current team list:

1075 - Sprockets
1114 - Simbotics
1241 - Theory6
1285 - The Big Bang
1325 - Inverse Paradox
1360 - Orbit Robotics
2056 - OP Robotics
2604 - Metal and Soul
2609 - BeaverworX
2852 - DM High Voltage
3015 - Ranger Robotics
3161 - Tronic Titans
3683 - Team Dave
4069 - Lo-Ellen Robotics
4343 - MaxTech Robotics
4618 - Newman Robotics
4678 - CyberCavs
4917 - Sir Lancerbot
5039 - Irish Lion
5719 - Pink Titans
6336 - Javawockies
6342 - BT Robotics
6378 - LYNX
6875 - Build A Dream Robotics - Amazon Warriors
6878 - SJB Odyssey
XXXX - pre-rookie team A

Wait list:

We will be holding back a few spots for pre-rookie teams that may be established in the fall. If no additional pre-rookies register before the deadline we will begin adding veteran teams from the wait list. For wait list registration information see the STEMley website.

Who will hoist the cup this year...
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-21-2018, 09:32 PM
FRC #4039

Shifter4039 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2018 STEMley Cup Championship

STEMley SUPER CUBES:

Two special STEMley SUPER CUBES will be in play at the November 3rd STEMley Cup Championship: one red-colored SUPER CUBE and one blue-colored SUPER CUBE. The cloth cover of the SUPER CUBE will be made of material to match as closely as possible the original yellow nylon cover - it should have similar handling characteristics to a regular yellow POWER CUBE but detection by the VAULT sensor cannot be guaranteed.

Prior to each MATCH, ALLIANCES select the starting position of their SUPER CUBE in one of their two ALLIANCE PORTALS. Each SUPER CUBE takes the place of one regular yellow POWER CUBE.

SUPER CUBES may be entered into the playing field through one of the PORTALS in the last thirty (30) seconds of the MATCH. If introduced early (prior to 30 seconds left in the MATCH) as determined by the REFEREES, a TECH FOUL will apply and that SUPER CUBE will be scored as a regular yellow POWER CUBE (ie. no scoring BONUS will apply).

There are two BONUS scoring conditions for the SUPER CUBES:

a. at the end of the match (when the timer reaches zero seconds), every SUPER CUBE supported entirely by an ALLIANCE’s own SWITCH PLATE and/or it’s FENCE (and not even partially supported by a ROBOT, the carpet or anything else) scores five (5) BONUS POINTS for every regular yellow POWER CUBE supported by the SWITCH PLATE for the ALLIANCE matching the color of the SWITCH PLATE up to a maximum of fifty (50) POINTS.
example 1: the red SUPER CUBE ends the match on the red side of the SWITCH nearest the red ALLIANCE STATION. In addition to the red SUPER CUBE, there are four (4) regular yellow POWER CUBES on the red side of this SWITCH. The red ALLIANCE receives a BONUS to their score equivalent to:
5 points/cube x 4 cubes = 20 POINTS

b. at the end of the match (when the timer reaches zero seconds), every SUPER CUBE supported entirely by the SCALE (and not even partially supported by a ROBOT or anything else) scores five (5) BONUS POINTS for every regular yellow POWER CUBE on the SCALE PLATE for the ALLIANCE matching the color of the SCALE PLATE up to a maximum of fifty (50) POINTS.
example 2: the red SUPER CUBE ends the match on the blue side of the SCALE. In addition to the red SUPER CUBE, there are twelve (12) regular yellow POWER CUBES on the blue side of the SCALE. The blue ALLIANCE receives a BONUS to their score equivalent to:
5 points/cube x 10 cubes = 50 POINTS (maximum)

BONUS POINTS due to SUPER CUBES (if any) will be added to the MATCH SCORE prior to the posting of the official final MATCH SCORES. Where the outcome of the match may depend on BONUS POINTS, REFEREES may at their discretion enter the field to perform a manual count of the number of regular yellow POWER CUBES on the SWITCH or SCALE. The ruling of the HEAD REFEREE is final.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2018, 10:01 AM
Programming mentor
FRC #2609 (BeaverworX)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
gregzetko is a glorious beacon of lightgregzetko is a glorious beacon of lightgregzetko is a glorious beacon of lightgregzetko is a glorious beacon of lightgregzetko is a glorious beacon of lightgregzetko is a glorious beacon of light

2609 is looking forward to competing!
I'm personally suprised that you guys didnt change G09 (launching power cubes). Can't wait to see how the stubes change the play of the game!

2609 Programming Mentor
2017 Curie - 3rd pick, Quarterfinalist

2017-2018 McMaster District event - CSA

2018 Ryerson District event - Field Reset
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2018, 05:08 PM
Dreaming of Winning a Regional
AKA: Shawn, The Man with The Binder
FRC #3883 (Data Bits)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
PerXshA will become famous soon enough

I love the idea of the super cubes, good to add another end game challenge

ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡• ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ FTC 8736☆彡 ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡• ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ
• 2015-2016 • Lead Builder
• 2016-2017 • Programmer

ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡• ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ FRC 3883★彡 ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡• ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ
• 2017-2018 • Build/Technican/Safety Cap
• 2018-2019 • ?

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-01-2018, 12:37 PM
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2014
nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to announce the return of the STEMley Cup trading cards for 2018. Teams will receive a sampler in each of their registration packages. New for 2018, we've opened up online ordering for anyone who isn't attending, but would like to buy a set. They can be purchased at cards.stemleycup.ca

We can't wait to see teams this weekend!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf STEMley trading card prices draft4.pdf (1.53 MB, 100 views)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-01-2018, 04:57 PM
Jack of all trades, Master of none
AKA: Brian Wagg
FRC #3739 (Oakbotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
cad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud of

By any chance, will you guys be selling last years set?

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-01-2018, 11:03 PM
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)

nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad321 View Post
By any chance, will you guys be selling last years set?
Not at the event, but if you order online, email us to request a previous year's set and we'll get you one.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-03-2018, 08:30 AM
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)

The STEMley Cup is live! Watch one of our two live streams:
Roving cams: https://twitch.tv/frcontario1
Full field: https://twitch.tv/frcontario2

Join in the conversation on Twitter and Facebook using the hashtag #stemleycup!

Go teams!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-04-2018, 11:38 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

I had the opportunity to attend and volunteer at this event for the first time, and I came away very impressed. Despite many teams using new drivers and a lot robots approaching the end of their lifespan, this event was highly competitive (it helped having 6 of the 7 top teams in the district rankings) and felt much closer to a regular season event than most off-season events. On the event side, I was blown away by the constant hospitality, professionalism, and organization of the planning group and the volunteers. Their rule changes were incredibly well thought out, with the "Super Cubes / Stubes" adding a fantastic dynamic to the game and even ended up swinging Finals Match 3. I highly recommend checking this event out some time if you haven't already. It's beginning to feel like a tiny bit like a smaller, Canadian version of IRI.

Thanks to all the organizers and everyone from Team 4039 and 5406 for making the event happen. Also, amazing work by 4039 and 5406 on supporting the pre-rookie teams and blasting them off into their FIRST career.
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2018, 01:40 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik View Post
I had the opportunity to attend and volunteer at this event for the first time, and I came away very impressed. Despite many teams using new drivers and a lot robots approaching the end of their lifespan, this event was highly competitive (it helped having 6 of the 7 top teams in the district rankings) and felt much closer to a regular season event than most off-season events. On the event side, I was blown away by the constant hospitality, professionalism, and organization of the planning group and the volunteers. Their rule changes were incredibly well thought out, with the "Super Cubes / Stubes" adding a fantastic dynamic to the game and even ended up swinging Finals Match 3. I highly recommend checking this event out some time if you haven't already. It's beginning to feel like a tiny bit like a smaller, Canadian version of IRI.

Thanks to all the organizers and everyone from Team 4039 and 5406 for making the event happen. Also, amazing work by 4039 and 5406 on supporting the pre-rookie teams and blasting them off into their FIRST career.
The Super Cubes were the best rule change I've seen this year and maybe of all time at an off season event. The effect it had on the last match made for one of the most incredible endings I ever seen at a FIRST event!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: