OCCRA
Go to Post I just want to say that the rack 'n roll was my first year with FIRST! It was the best thing I ever did. I cant wait to learn more when we get to start up again! - ctorloey [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming > Java
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2018, 10:58 AM
FRC #3335

PandaGirl3335 is an unknown quantity at this point
Teaching new Students

Hey Guys! With off season approaching I have been tasked with teaching new students about programming robots in java. Does anyone have any tips for teaching new students who know little about java without boring them.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2018, 11:43 PM
Dreaming of Winning a Regional
AKA: Shawn, The Man with The Binder
FRC #3883 (Data Bits)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
PerXshA will become famous soon enough
Re: Teaching new Students

Me personally, I would start by showing them the power overall of what Java can do, throughout you could bring up instances later in life where knowing Java could be useful. Teens and kids alike both want the end result, they want to know what they can do with what they’re gonna learn. But that’s just me
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2018, 09:33 PM
ctrl + space
AKA: Preston Briggs
FRC #2073 (Eagleforce)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2016
PrestonB is an unknown quantity at this point

I would recommend starting them off with code academy (the free version):
https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-java

The district I mentor in gives Lynda accounts to all high school students so then I have them take a few Lynda courses that I like:

Intro to Java:
https://www.lynda.com/Java-tutorials.../669544-2.html

Java 8:
https://www.lynda.com/Java-tutorials.../377484-2.html

Object Oriented Principles:
https://www.lynda.com/Java-tutorials...n/96949-2.html

They should also read up on basic robot programming here:
https://wpilib.screenstepslive.com/s...m/java/c/88897

In between all these, I trickle in robot "challenges" for them to complete. This is the part that generally interests them the most. We have a little testboard setup with a RoboRIO, PDB, motor controller, and a motor with an encoder that just spins a wheel.

Here are some of the challenges I give them. Each should build on top of the last so at the end they can use any of the buttons together:

Holding A moves motor at 50%
Holding left joystick moves motor at speed corresponding to joystick position
Holding B reverses the current motor output
Holding X reduces the current motor output in half
Limit max speed to 80%
Change any output less than 20% to be 0
Holding left trigger variably decreases the current motor output
Holding right trigger variably increases the current motor output
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2018, 02:55 PM
Strategy and Systems Engineering
AKA: Ronald (Ron) Houde
FRC #3986 (Express-O)

Rookie Year: 2018
TBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaGirl3335 View Post
Hey Guys! With off season approaching I have been tasked with teaching new students about programming robots in java. Does anyone have any tips for teaching new students who know little about java without boring them.
I personally am a sold fan of Massive On-line Open Courses (a.k.a. MOOCs) and the Coursera platform. Coursera membership is free, so as all courses available on the platform.

Coursera makes quite a large number of JAVA courses available:
https://www.coursera.org/courses?lan...userQuery=java

Optionally, students can sign-up to paying versions of the courses that offers additional features such as teaching-assistant supported and graded assignments and a formal certificate issued by the school offering the course. Also, courses are sometimes combined into "specializations" that group a number of relevant topics in a bundle. But even within a specialization, one always has the option to sign-up for individual courses.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-18-2018, 04:26 PM
Making the 1's and 0's
FRC #1736 (Robot Casserole)

Rookie Year: 2015
gerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond reputegerthworm has a reputation beyond repute

If you've got students who like reading textbooks in addition to the hands-on stuff, http://greenteapress.com/thinkjava/ is a pretty good starting point. Follow it up with some wpilib tutorials and you'll have a not-half-bad baseline.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-19-2018, 01:19 PM
FRC #1895 (LamdaCorps)

Rookie Year: 2012
NewtonCrosby is an unknown quantity at this point

We are working on coming up with a basic computer science curriculum to help students get acclimated with Java programming before the push of the build season.

If you want somewhere to point the students to, they can follow our [link]Github pages.

As of now it's only Lesson 0, the hello world but it should be getting several more tutorials as we go.

We are starting at 0, and hopefully the aim is to end at PID commands in FRC programming.

Any contributions or comments people have we're happy to make changes.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Waiting for the storm
FRC #0832

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever the approach, use projects to teach. Make their learning actually accomplish something interesting, if not useful.

Also cover commenting, version control, and structure relevant for FRC.

*All comments are mine and do not represent my place of employment*
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2018, 10:41 AM
GRIP/Shuffleboard/WPILib. 2084 alum
FRC #2084

Rookie Year: 2010
SamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant futureSamCarlberg has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonB View Post
Java 8
Definitely teach lambdas/method references here. Also try to be familiar with Java 10 (and 11, when it's released) since WPILib will be moving to Java 11 next season.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2018, 11:28 AM
Flywheel Police
AKA: Matthew Lythgoe
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

Rookie Year: 2009
notmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a presentation that our team has given over the past several years.

http://team2363.org/2016/11/command-based-java-for-frc/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: