OCCRA
Go to Post Looks like a perfect device for scaring the cats :D - Dan Petrovic [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > CAD
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-04-2018, 04:11 PM
Slave to the bot
AKA: Chad Krause
FRC #7226 (Error 404)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
Chadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to beholdChadfrom308 is a splendid one to behold
CAD Files taking forever to load in Inventor + Solidworks

My team is finishing up our computer lab we have been working with our sponsors on. They are pretty beefy machines (7 of them)

Specs:
Core i5
Quadro K2000 2gb
16gb RAM
256gb SSD

They work really well, but when I try to open up CAD files from other teams (118 and 148), it bogs right down. It takes FOREVER to open the files. They are the .step files found here:

2017 118: https://ccisdrobonauts.org/?p=robots
2018 148: http://www.robowranglers148.com/resources.html

When trying to open them in Solidworks (something I don't have any experience in), it takes forever and crashes.

When trying to open them in Inventor, they take about a half hour to open. The RAM Utilization goes from 700MB to 2.5GB then drops back down to 700MB and keeps cycling. I was able to get 118's robot open, but only after a LONG while. I was able to open 148's as well, which also seemed a lot faster than 118's.

I know they are really detailed CAD files, but I don't think they would take THAT long to open. My Macbook can open them in Fusion 360 relatively quickly.

Any tips? Any bottlenecks I need to be looking for?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-04-2018, 04:13 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CAD Files taking forever to load in Inventor + Solidworks

Try opening them overnight. STEP files always take forever to parse when you're looking at an entire robot CAD.
Fusion does weird stuff to open stuff quickly. Solidworks takes way longer.

2018 Davis Finalists (w/ 6474 and 3880), 2018 Roebling Winners (w/ 3476, 1323, and 1778)

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-04-2018, 04:18 PM
FRC #4293

PeterR is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a system with a Ryzen 7 and GTX 1080 (so about the same as yours for CAD). I have found that for some reason in Solidworks it will take forever to open them (15 hours for 148 2018 cad). However, if the computer goes to sleep or you use another window while Solidworks is running (even though solidowrks is using only 1 of 16 threads) it will crash. So I think Solidworks has some issues there. However, I also have Creo and it will open the files in the background in about 5-10 min. I have no experience with Inventor.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-04-2018, 05:01 PM
I should be at baseball practice
FRC #1836 (The Milkenknights)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2013
marcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond repute

Try Onshape Mobile.

"Once you've concluded that it isn't a code problem, it isn't an electrical problem, and it isn't a mechanical problem, after all that blaming you now have a culture problem."
"Precedence is no excuse for being wrong."
"Aesthetics are great, but not at the expense of functionality."
"An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that unified team will be successful."
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-04-2018, 05:57 PM
FRC #3138 (Innovators Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Michael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond repute

I can open them up in about 5-10 minutes in SolidWorks on my laptop. The key is to not touch anything (your mouse, keyboard, etc.) while itís opening. Iíll usually click to open large step files and go make some breakfast while itís opening. By the time my breakfast is ready, the file is waiting for me. Also, you can save them out as SolidWorks files afterwards and you wonít have the long waits after that.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-04-2018, 09:25 PM
On to my 18th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

What OS?

What particular model i5? How much free space on the SSDs? Are the files also located on the SSD or somewhere else? It will take a couple minutes, but not 30. I'm wondering if an AV program is scanning it as you're opening it, and that's the bottleneck.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2018, 09:06 AM
Simplicity by Design...
AKA: Tim Miedzinski
FRC #0836 (The RoboBees)

Rookie Year: 2004
tim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond reputetim-tim has a reputation beyond repute

As many have stated, when opening STEP files try not to use the machine at all. It takes a while for the CAD software to read and translate the STEP files over to SolidWorks/Inventor/Creo/etc. files. Once converted save everything (top level assembly, sub-assemblies, parts) in the native file extensions; this should make it much quicker to open in the future.

Do this once and then share the files with all other computers.

Tim's Shortcuts Anderson Powerpoles and Crimper, Star/Tube Nuts
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2018, 09:39 AM
AKA: Clayton
FRC #0100 (The WildHats)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2015
ClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud of

Itís worthwhile to note that SW is a single-threaded application and is generally CPU-limited, so there are a number of BIOS settings you can change to speed that up- the most significant one is disabling hyper threading.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2018, 09:27 PM
FRC RI/FLL Field Manager
AKA: Max Vrany
FRC #1306 (BadgerBOTS)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
cgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayTownR View Post
the most significant one is disabling hyper threading.
i5 CPU's don't have hyper-threading.

2016 FIRST Championship Tesla Division | 2016 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award

2015 FIRST Championship Carson Division | 2015 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award

2013 FIRST Championship Curie Division | 2013 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award

2012 FIRST Championship Archimedes Division | 2012 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award, Woodie Flowers Finalist Award (Lead Mentor Ben Senson)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: