Go to Post If winning that individual match is more important to you than being there in the first place, then I believe you've got your priorities in the wrong spot. - Tom Bottiglieri [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > CAD
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2017, 07:44 AM
College Mentor
AKA: Aaron Hazel
FRC #3534 (House of Cards)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2016
Hazelhoff is an unknown quantity at this point
Inventor vs. Fusion 360

My team had a meeting with Autodesk yesterday and they were really pushing Fusion 360. We have been using Inventor Professional for a couple years now, mainly because the engineering class at our high school teaches it.

So my question is; what are the main differences between the two and would it be worth the switch next year?
2016 Kettering Week 2 - FINALISTS - 4th Seed, 1st Pick of #1 Alliance (Creativity Award)
2016 Marysville Week 4 - WINNERS - 8th Seed, 1st Pick of #2 Alliance (Creativity Award)
2016 FIM State Championship - QUARTER FINALISTS - 20th Seed, 1st Pick of #10 Alliance
- QUARTER FINALISTS - 9th Seed, #8 Alliance Leader

2017-____ Drive Team Teacher, Mechanical Mentor, and Strategist
2017 Kettering Week 2 - SEMI-FINALISTS - 17th Seed, 1st Pick of #3 Alliance
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2017, 08:07 AM
Making my way downtown cadding fast
FRC #0701 (Robovikes)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2015
niklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Inventor vs. Fusion 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelhoff View Post
My team had a meeting with Autodesk yesterday and they were really pushing Fusion 360. We have been using Inventor Professional for a couple years now, mainly because the engineering class at our high school teaches it.

So my question is; what are the main differences between the two and would it be worth the switch next year?
My main thing against fusion 360 is the lack of the constraint commands. I'm fusion you can only joint parts.
The thing that fusion does have on inventor is accessibility, being able to get i to a project that you worked on at school, at home is a benefit. That feature can be achieved with programs like grabcad.

Other than that the two programs are pretty similar, with that being said after trying fusion I definitely prefer inventor.

Good luck and CAD on!

My views do not represent the views of my team
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2017, 08:27 AM
On to my 16th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

Autodesk is really putting a ton of resources behind Fusion, with the ultimate goal of claiming back market share from Solidworks. All the newest updates are coming for Fusion first, and it's a recommended download on the Inventor download page. I've been told that at some point in the not-too-distant future, Inventor will be no more, and everything will be in Fusion.

I find Inventor to be a mature, professional, enterprise-class product. It's been around for 20 years. Fusion has come a long way in the last 2 years, but does not match the mature "feel" of Inventor. Also with Fusion, you do not choose your updates, Autodesk chooses for you. You may launch your software one day, and something is totally different from yesterday, which is super annoying. Also, I much prefer the hierarchical tree of the Inventor browser to the Fusion feature timeline which I find to be confusing. That said, both softwares essentially do the same things now.

Data management is different. In Inventor, you have the option of running Vault. And if you run Vault on Amazon EC2, that's the hot ticket and is fabulous. In Fusion, you get the Autodesk cloud backend, which can be a little flaky, but is getting better. However, there is no PDM checkin/checkout workflow yet for Fusion.

Long story short, like it or not, Fusion is the way of the future, and you can either jump aboard the train or watch it pass you by. For now, I'm choosing the latter.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2017, 08:51 AM
Expert Flybot Crasher
FRC #1885 (ILITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag View Post
Long story short, like it or not, Fusion is the way of the future, and you can either jump aboard the train or watch it pass you by. For now, I'm choosing the latter.
This is the tech world. We can choose a different train .

One plus for Fusion is having it on a tablet in the shop. One of our mentors has a cheap one and uses it to verify measurements, assemblies, etc, without going back-and-forth multiple times.

Personally I do not like auto-updating software. If it updates in the middle of build season and totally screws with our process or models, the entire software suite would be worthless.

It's the same thing with building software for production. Don't accept update to dependencies right before production release.

Drive Coach, 1885 (2007-present)
2017: Scoring Model | COPR Rank Simulator
1885: YouTube Channel | CAD Library | GitHub
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2017, 10:45 AM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Having used Inventor for years I'm somewhat biased, but I tried to use Fusion 360 once when I needed some CAM software (before I found out about HSM), I got so frustrated with the non-intuitive controls that I eventually just gave up and uninstalled it. You also cannot import native Inventor models to it (which seems insane to me given they do basically the same thing and are made by the same company).

There are of course some advantages (and disadvantages) to having everything cloud-based, but personally I find Inventor to be much easier to use and a much more powerful tool overall.

[/2 cents]
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2017, 11:54 AM
College Mentor
AKA: Aaron Hazel
FRC #3534 (House of Cards)

Rookie Year: 2016
Hazelhoff is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've been told that at some point in the not-too-distant future, Inventor will be no more, and everything will be in Fusion.
How reliable is this information and how soon is "not-too-distant future"?
2016 Kettering Week 2 - FINALISTS - 4th Seed, 1st Pick of #1 Alliance (Creativity Award)
2016 Marysville Week 4 - WINNERS - 8th Seed, 1st Pick of #2 Alliance (Creativity Award)
2016 FIM State Championship - QUARTER FINALISTS - 20th Seed, 1st Pick of #10 Alliance
- QUARTER FINALISTS - 9th Seed, #8 Alliance Leader

2017-____ Drive Team Teacher, Mechanical Mentor, and Strategist
2017 Kettering Week 2 - SEMI-FINALISTS - 17th Seed, 1st Pick of #3 Alliance
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2017, 03:26 PM
On to my 16th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelhoff View Post
How reliable is this information and how soon is "not-too-distant future"?
Direct from Autodesk people I've encountered here and there. Inventor is still being developed, with new features and refinements being added, but my personal guess is that 5 years from now, Fusion is where everything will be.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2017, 03:34 PM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Direct from Autodesk people I've encountered here and there. Inventor is still being developed, with new features and refinements being added, but my personal guess is that 5 years from now, Fusion is where everything will be.
Hope they improve the usability, else I'll have to start learning Solidworks. >_>
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2017, 04:50 PM
FRC #4467 (Titanium Titans)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2013
Tangert is an unknown quantity at this point

So while the debate of what CAD system is the best continues to rage on, my larger question is has anyone used Fusion 360 to design an entire FRC bot?
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2017, 08:30 PM
Mentor
FRC #3081 (RoBoEaGleS)

Rookie Year: 2011
Camren is a glorious beacon of lightCamren is a glorious beacon of lightCamren is a glorious beacon of lightCamren is a glorious beacon of lightCamren is a glorious beacon of light

Fusion 360 can't be any worse than Siemens NX/UG.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2017, 09:05 PM
Hater of Tiny Molex Connectors
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #0865 (Wrap7)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2012
mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute
Fusion is the future. The collaboration/version control features are huge for an FRC team and they add new features every month.

I'm a long time solidworks user but I switched to fusion for all my personal stuff and some work. I can barely stand Solidworks now.

Multi platform compatibility is also a huge deal for an FRC team trying to reach out to as many students as possible.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-08-2017, 10:29 PM
FRC #1155

RobotsQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangert View Post
So while the debate of what CAD system is the best continues to rage on, my larger question is has anyone used Fusion 360 to design an entire FRC bot?

As lead (only) designer for 1155's robot this year, I can attest that yes, someone (me) has designed an entire FRC bot entirely on Fusion. Let me talk for a bit about my experience.

100% I love how they have done cloud integration. It absolutely promotes collaboration and is great at keeping all of your previous revisions (more than once I had to revert because a rookie decided to experiment using THE MAIN ROBOT FILE). If there is any one reason to use Fusion, this is it. No hassle, works like it should, and keeps everything safe.

Autodesk is throwing tons of money at the program right now, meaning you have an extremely active and supportive development team. There are constantly new tutorials coming out on YouTube and plenty of help on the forums. And yes this means they are pushing updates constantly but I never had that interfere with my design at all during build.

In terms of potential, I think Fusion has the potential to be a better CAD program than solidworks or inventor will ever be. But it might not be there yet. Is it good enough for FRC? Definitely. Will it annoy the $#!+ out of you at times because a certain feature you expected to be there isn't yet and as a result you need to take a roundabout method to accomplish your goal? Also definitely.

So the million dollar question: do you make the switch? Obviously for my team the answer was yes. Cloud integration and active support outweighed the inconveniences. For others, I honestly think it is a matter of time before we are all forced to switch, either by shutting down inventor or by Fusion totally eclipsing inventor in every way. There is little doubt that Fusion is the CAD program of the future. The real question is when you bite the bullet and leave behind the comfort of inventor.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-09-2017, 08:54 AM
Comm. / Biz. / Logistics
AKA: Josh Witt
FRC #3966 (L&N STEMpunks)

guniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud of

I know our team is actively investigating switching to Fusion from SolidWorks because of the cloud features. Right now, only students who have their "own" computers can work on CAD, or it can only be done on our single computer at the lab.

Given that our school gives every student a Macbook Air, switching to Fusion would allow anyone to contribute or view what is going on.. we think. Still checking it out. It seems one hurdle is going to be signing up for all of these individual licenses instead of one large block.

2016 FIRST Championship - Media and Technology Innovation Award
2017 | Miami Valley - Imagery Award | Smoky Mountains - Entrepreneurship Award | Galileo Divison - Imagery Award
2016 | Rocket City - Entrepreneurship Award | 2nd Place - Microsoft Imagine This

2015 | Smoky Mountains - Imagery Award
2014 | 3rd Place - Safety Animation Award
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2017, 09:33 PM
FRC #1155

RobotsQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by guniv View Post
It seems one hurdle is going to be signing up for all of these individual licenses instead of one large block.

If you have .edu emails Fusion automatically grants you a license when you make your account. It's free for students.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-10-2017, 10:06 PM
Comm. / Biz. / Logistics
AKA: Josh Witt
FRC #3966 (L&N STEMpunks)

guniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud ofguniv has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotsQ View Post
If you have .edu emails Fusion automatically grants you a license when you make your account. It's free for students.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We don't, sadly. Hence I think we have to wait for them to approve every single person, as far as I understand.

2016 FIRST Championship - Media and Technology Innovation Award
2017 | Miami Valley - Imagery Award | Smoky Mountains - Entrepreneurship Award | Galileo Divison - Imagery Award
2016 | Rocket City - Entrepreneurship Award | 2nd Place - Microsoft Imagine This

2015 | Smoky Mountains - Imagery Award
2014 | 3rd Place - Safety Animation Award

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: