Go to Post My opinion doesn't matter at inspection. - DonRotolo [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2017, 02:14 PM
Robotics Engineer
FRC #0319 (Big Bad Bob)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Ty Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond repute
BOB 319 - 2017 Offseason Robot

319's been working on a gearbot for the offseason. Here's what we've come up with:

Album

Features:

Drivetrain - 8x 775pro single speed (12/14/16 fps) OR 4x cim dual speed (6 and 14 fps)

Gear mechanism - 1x BAG for collecting, 1x BAG for moving

Climber - 2x 775pro on a 1.25" velcro drum

Dimensions - 27"x29.5"x15" @ ~70lbs (before bumpers and battery)

The goal was to learn custom gearbox design, current profiling, CAM, and CNC machining while determining if we like 775pro drivetrains.
We'll be running the bot at offseasons in NE between now and kickoff 2018 and releasing documentation around November.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2017, 02:19 PM
no bag, vex only, final destination
AKA: Pinecone
no team (Looking For A New Team); formerly FRC #228 & 2170)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me
Re: BOB 319 - 2017 Offseason Robot

I would switch the gear reduction on the hanger to a chain, just in case. In the worst case, your entire robot's weight is being supported by two gear teeth (momentarily). Chain spreads this load out over multiple teeth, which is nicer.

Then again, between the multiple motors driving the hanger, and the very light weight of the robot, this likely isn't a huge issue. Just something that's burned me before.
2016 Waterbury SFs (with 3314, 3719), 2016 Rhode Island #2 Seed / Winners (with 1058, 6153), 2016 Carver QFs (with 503, 359, 4607)
Consultant Person: 2170 (2017) - Waterbury Judge's Award, Hartford Creativity Award
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2015 TVR Quality, 2015 FLR Industrial Design,
2014 FLR Quality / SFs (with 341, 4930), 2013 BAE Quality, 2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182),
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), 2012 CT Xerox Creativity / SFs (with 2168, 118)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2017, 02:20 PM
TSIMFD
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

What are those tabs on the rear portion of the bumper rails for?

Also, are you direct driving your gear mechanism off of the Versa Planetary output shaft? It probably won't actually be an issue of any sort, but it's still a design choice I wouldn't be thrilled with, personally. Given that you're supporting the far end of the VP shaft, you're avoiding overloading the output shaft during normal operation, which is good. However, since this is a mechanism that deploys beyond the bumper zone, the shock loading could be unpredictable in a collision (with either another robot or the field border). Given that it doesn't seem like you have any real packaging or weight concerns (nor is backlash a significant concern in this application), it seems easy enough to rotate the gear mechanism off of a shaft separate from the VP output shaft with a 1:1 gear/chain/belt ratio in order to protect the VP output shaft.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2017, 02:23 PM
Blue and Yellow - Hello!
AKA: #TapeGate2017
FRC #1323 (Madtown Robotics) #299 (Valkyrie Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond repute

Hella slick bot, Ty! You and the team should be proud. I'm pretty stoked to see this thing compete, especially with those beastly 775 transmissions. If this is any indicator, I can't want to see what 319 comes up with in 2018.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2017, 02:23 PM
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2011
adrianna3141 is on a distinguished road

Yet another amazing robot from you guys! I can't wait to see it in action!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Robotics Engineer
FRC #0319 (Big Bad Bob)

Ty Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond reputeTy Tremblay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
I would switch the gear reduction on the hanger to a chain, just in case. In the worst case, your entire robot's weight is being supported by two gear teeth (momentarily). Chain spreads this load out over multiple teeth, which is nicer.

Then again, between the multiple motors driving the hanger, and the very light weight of the robot, this likely isn't a huge issue. Just something that's burned me before.
Agreed. The chain reduction would be more optimal, but we've been running this exact climber on our comp bot all season and haven't had issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
What are those tabs on the rear portion of the bumper rails for?
Those used to be the pivot point for our fuel collector on the competition robot. We're re-purposing the competition drivetrain with all fuel capabilities removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
Also, are you direct driving your gear mechanism off of the Versa Planetary output shaft?
Yep. We've been running the same gear collector on the back of our competition robot all year, but your points still stand. It doesn't actually ever extend outside the bumper zone (artifact of our fuel system taking up as much space as possible), but that doesn't completely protect it from impacts. Main point is that the gear mechanism already exists so we won't really have time to change that one.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Pool Noodle Thrower
AKA: Marcus Bernstein
FRC #1836 (The Milkenknights)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2013
marcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to beholdmarcusbernstein is a splendid one to behold

Cool robot!!! What are those light blue extended semicircles (wording stolen from 2012 game manual) with the holes in them mounted to each side of your bumper rails?

Also, what is the round thing in between all four motors on your drive gearboxes? Looks like maybe an encoder?

To quote one of my CAD students, "Can I get an Onshape link?" No but actually, any plans to release the CAD?

Best of luck competing with this robot at offseason events!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that team will be successful
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-10-2017, 02:34 PM
Robotics Engineer
FRC #0319 (Big Bad Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusbernstein View Post
Cool robot!!! What are those light blue extended semicircles (wording stolen from 2012 game manual) with the holes in them mounted to each side of your bumper rails?

Also, what is the round thing in between all four motors on your drive gearboxes? Looks like maybe an encoder?

To quote one of my CAD students, "Can I get an Onshape link?" No but actually, any plans to release the CAD?

Best of luck competing with this robot at offseason events!
The semicircles used to be the pivot points for our fuel collector. The chassis is re-purposed from our comp bot.

The round thing is where we hope to place our greyhill encoders, they fit perfectly in CAD so we're gonna print up some mounts and see if we can make it work.

Sure. Here's a link. We're hoping to release more documentation and a whitepaper of our findings around November.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 11:53 AM
Cynicism isn't wisdom
FRC #2363
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1999
Nate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond repute

I made an unauthorized CAW for this
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 12:36 PM
FRC #6153 (Blue Crew)
Team Role: Human Player

Rookie Year: 2012
TetrisMaster is an unknown quantity at this point

Will you be using this bot at summer heat?
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Robotics Engineer
FRC #0319 (Big Bad Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TetrisMaster View Post
Will you be using this bot at summer heat?
Yep. We likely won't have the 775 pinions in time to run the 775pro gearboxes, so we'll be running the 2-speed version.

Everything else should be there though.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2017, 05:21 AM
FRC #0058 (The Riot Crew)

Rookie Year: 2007
scaryone has a spectacular aura aboutscaryone has a spectacular aura about

Bring both of them. We are looking to backfill a spot.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2017, 05:22 AM
FRC #0058 (The Riot Crew)

Rookie Year: 2007
scaryone has a spectacular aura aboutscaryone has a spectacular aura about

What do you need for pinions? We might have some.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2017, 06:33 AM
FRC #6153 (Blue Crew)
Team Role: Human Player

Rookie Year: 2012
TetrisMaster is an unknown quantity at this point

You should take riot crews advice and bring both robots. This event only has two 40 KPA shooters, 2648 and 133.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2017, 07:29 AM
Robotics Engineer
FRC #0319 (Big Bad Bob)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryone View Post
What do you need for pinions? We might have some.
8x WCP-0002

http://www.wcproducts.net/32-dp-gears

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: