Go to Post To the ball knockers, I salute you. - Brandon Holley [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2016, 01:28 PM
Circuit Breaker
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Pat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Pat Fairbank
Re: Your tall opaque robot is now illegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
The person asking the question asked if it was legal to have a device intended to interfere with sensors. The GDC responded to the question asked. People here are interpreting that to mean a much broader answer, that no devices capable of blocking cameras are allowed.
Be that as it may, is it too much to ask for the GDC to use their own common sense and answer the question that the asker really intended to ask? My principal concern here is that lacking further clarification about what blocking strategies are actually legal, LRIs are going to see this Q&A and start applying it incorrectly to robots that are legal within the intent of the rule.
Team 296 | Alumnus (2001-2004) | Mentor (2005-2006)

patfairbank.com
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2016, 01:29 PM
Business and Scouting Mentor
AKA: Richard McCann
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
Citrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2202 View Post
The problem with the question is that the GDC is trying to be sensitive to R9, blue box A and C

So, if the purpose of a robot piece is to block cameras (limit the vision), then it is a violation of R9.

If the purpose is to block shots, then that is ok, as it is an obstacle that robot designers are supposed to take into account.

So, put up an opaque piece of fabric that is supposed to interfere with boulder shooting, and you are fine. If it happens to block vision, so be it.

The rule is intended to prevent a defending robot from intentionally shining a flashlight directly into the camera of the other robot.

As they say: Bad cases make bad law.

Just make sure the robot piece has a purpose other than to interfere with sensing capabilities of the robot.

IMHO: As an R9 call, that is solely in the LRI's court. In general, G's are for Ref's, and R's are for RI's.
This sets up an interesting situation--what if a robot can shoot over a fully extended blocker, but it's camera can't see past the blocker because it's mounted so low? I don't think that was the intent of the rule, but that could make it illegal to block a catapult shooter, but allow blocking of low wheeled shooters.
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2016, 01:31 PM
no team

headlight is an unknown quantity at this point

For an engineering activity that generally focuses heavily on results and effects there are a surprising number of rules that hinge on intention.

If I am able to justify my large blocker that happens to impede camera operation by claiming I intended it to only block boulders, can I justify running my ultrasonic range finders on full blast all match because my team collects the data for our study on the effectiveness of range finders during matches? All remote sensing on a robot is going to be subject to interference from ambient conditions and from other robots, the question that needs to be resolved is how much interference is allowed and if the legality of the interference is determined by the intentions of the team or the actual effects of the device.
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
FRC South Region Recap Host on FUN
FRC #1102 (M'Aiken Magic & Team FUN)

Rookie Year: 2006
JohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond reputeJohnFogarty has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile I'm over here with with my completely see-through poly-carbonate blocker prototype laughing.
"By teaching students the power of STEM, we're M'Aiken Magic happen!"
2010 FTC World Championship Winner - FTC Team 3864 Driver/Captain

Last edited by JohnFogarty : 03-22-2016 at 10:25 PM.
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Discerning and exacting individual
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Fairbank View Post
Be that as it may, is it too much to ask for the GDC to use their own common sense and answer the question that the asker really intended to ask? My principal concern here is that lacking further clarification about what blocking strategies are actually legal, LRIs are going to see this Q&A and start applying it incorrectly to robots that are legal within the intent of the rule.
Yeah, I'm with you Pat. This makes the business of blocking any shots significantly more difficult because someone can say "It blocks our camera!" and point a finger.

I know for certain that at least one team we've encountered this season with a cloth blocker was intentionally designed to block cameras and balls. Personally, I thought it was clever.
Clarke's Laws
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2016, 01:34 PM
#swerve
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmac View Post
Say goodbye to cheesecaking blockers on second picks.
You can take my blocker... but you can never take my cheesecake!

#37   Spotlight this post!  
FRC #1592 (Bionic Tigers)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
dodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond repute

Team A builds a boulder blocker.

Team B, "hey their blocker blocks our camera."

GDC, "Team B don't move your camera, Team A shall just have to redesign their entire robot to not block Team B's camera."

Yeah, makes total sense.

Mechanical Engineering - University of Central Florida(Class of 2016)
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Jack of all trades, Master of none
AKA: Brian Wagg
FRC #3739 (Oakbotics)

cad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud of

Has anyone submitted a Q&A asking the other half of the original question? Something along the lines of,

If I have a mechanism on my robot with the sole intent to block boulders being shot into the high goal, but it unintentionally interferes with an oponents vision system, would this be in violation of R9-c?

Get final clarification once and for all on this matter?

I'd ask it myself but I don't have access to my teams Q&A account at the moment.
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2016, 01:44 PM
AKA: Rich Lester
FRC #5484 (Memento Vitam)

Rookie Year: 2013
hardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud of

So basically they are saying that it is illegal to use anything to stop the robot from functioning as it was intended to. Ok... then defense is illegal beause my robot was designed to shoot. The low bar should be illegal because we are a tall robot, etc...

They will rethink this I am pretty sure.
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2016, 01:45 PM
FiM Alum Missing Home
no team
Team Role: College Student

Anthony Galea has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Galea has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Galea has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Galea has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Galea has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Galea has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Galea has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Galea has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Galea has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Galea has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony Galea has a reputation beyond repute

If this is going to be the ruling, saying that you cannot block shooters, I will be very upset as that was one of the large factors in us becoming a tall robot, we would have been a low bar bot if we knew that your shots are not allowed to be blocked. I sincerely hope the GDC reconsiders, as it feels like the game is being changed fundamentally mid-season.
2017-?: Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2016, 01:49 PM
Expert Flybot Crasher
FRC #1885 (ILITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

If my robot intentionally turns another robot which has a camera, is the drive train now considered a device which intends to interfere with the vision of another robot?

1885: YouTube | CAD Library
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2016, 01:49 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Chief Delphi's Greatest Hits vol. 47: Overreactions to Q&A responses
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2016, 01:52 PM
AKA: Rich Lester
FRC #5484 (Memento Vitam)

hardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud of

Hmm... could I get the entire opposing team red carded by attaching my camera to the wheels? So anything above like 1 inch would be intending to block my camera.

Obviously that is a bit ridiculous, but blocking a camera seems like a good strategy and if a robot can only shoot on visual cues then they have issues. We had that issue in St Joe when the field rejected our camera (we had it configured incorrectly) and we corrected the issue. We can now shoot with or without the camera.
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2016, 01:54 PM
FRC #1592 (Bionic Tigers)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
dodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond reputedodar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseK View Post
If my robot intentionally turns another robot which has a camera, is the drive train now considered a device which intends to interfere with the vision of another robot?
Technically this is correct. You could very easily make an argument that your drivetrain is a device intended to interfere with another robot's sensing capabilities.

Mechanical Engineering - University of Central Florida(Class of 2016)
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-22-2016, 02:05 PM
45 Alumni
AKA: Peyton Yeung
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2009
Peyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus Dad View Post
This sets up an interesting situation--what if a robot can shoot over a fully extended blocker, but it's camera can't see past the blocker because it's mounted so low? I don't think that was the intent of the rule, but that could make it illegal to block a catapult shooter, but allow blocking of low wheeled shooters.
We saw this at the Walker Warren District Event this past weekend. In our last match 3176 played defense on us. They had a long arm they raised up which blocked our flashlight and camera. We were still able to shoot over the arm but it made it so we couldn't see the flashlight nor our camera feed. We never interpreted it as trying to block our vision, just our shot.

2017 Tippy Quarter Finalist, St. Joe Semi finalist

2016 Tippy Quarter Finalist, Warren Finalist, IN State Semi Finalist,B^3 Double Finalist
2015 Indy Semi finalist, Purdue Quarter Finalist, IN State Quarter Finalist, CORI QF, R2OC Finalist, RAGE Winner
2014 Boilermaker Semi finalist, Crossroads Quarter Finalist, & CAGE Quarter Finalist
45 Technokats
2013 Boilermaker Quarter finalist
2012 CAGE Semi finalist & Queen City Champion
2011 CAGE Quarter finalist & Midwest Semi finalist
2010 CAGE Quarter finalist, Boilermaker Champion, & Washington DC Quarter Finalist
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: