OCCRA
Go to Post i build robots. i like robots. i live with robots. i love robots. i AM a robot. - tgoral2826 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-24-2002, 01:37 AM
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
antenna on operator side radio modem

Posted by Alan Federman at 03/02/2001 6:34 PM EST

Engineer on team #255, Odyssey, from Foothill HS, San Jose and NASA.

Someone stepped on the antenna and broke it in half, and guess what - it doesn't work anymore. Can I replace it with an approximate replacement from Radio Shack or is the exact size/impedance important. I got it to work for a second, but can't seem to get a handshake now.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
Re: antenna on operator side radio modem

Posted by Adam Krajewski at 03/04/2001 5:06 PM EST

Engineer on team #221, MI Roboworks, from CCISD and Michigan Tech..

In Reply to: antenna on operator side radio modem
Posted by Alan Federman on 03/02/2001 6:34 PM EST:

We broke not one, but TWO antennas last year. The first one only the tip was broken off. It worked fine. The second one, most of the antenna was snapped off. We simply replaced it with a new off-the-shelf antenna and it seemed to work perfectly fine. I don't think size/impedance is of major importance, but I'm not sure. We used a slightly longer, retractable model of similar diameter/material. I would encourage all teams to, with whatever type of 'control box' they build, make sure you can SECURELY and SAFELY affix the radio modem to it.

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Bryan Lee at 03/06/2001 3:12 PM EST

Engineer on team #151, Nor'East Beast, from Nashua HS and BAE SYSTEMS.

We had someone do this last year as a result of a poor packing job in shipping from the Nationals. We called Innovation First and they were kind enough to send us a replacement for free.

We're a little more careful now, and FYI, you could take out the screw holding the antenna in place and pack it a little differently. I don't do this because I'm afraid of losing that small screw, but it can be done.

Bryan

: Someone stepped on the antenna and broke it in half, and guess what - it doesn't work anymore. Can I replace it with an approximate replacement from Radio Shack or is the exact size/impedance important. I got it to work for a second, but can't seem to get a handshake now.

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Re: antenna on operator side radio modem (EOM)

Posted by Matt Ryan at 03/06/2001 6:43 PM EST

Student on team #69, HYPER, from Quincy Public Schools and Gillette.

In Reply to: Re: antenna on operator side radio modem
Posted by Bryan Lee on 03/06/2001 3:12 PM EST:

Just checking something.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Michael Betts at 03/06/2001 7:16 PM EST

Engineer on team #177, Bobcat Robotics, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

Alan,

You can order the exact antenna replacement from InnovationFirst.

Check out http://www.innovationfirst.com/FIRST...hop/enter.html and click on "Cables and Accessories" and then look at the bottom of the page. Cost is $7.50 each.

Mike

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: