OCCRA
Go to Post When mentors and students battle it's the team that loses. - Koko Ed [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
  #241   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2017, 06:45 AM
In Transition
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2018 Game Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomondg View Post
Interview with Don Bossi, if I recall. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to figure out which video it was. RoboZone podcast back around June, if I'm correct?
A shame. We lost three people last year to making field elements.

Quote:
Did mean 2011 actually. Picking up and depositing (supposedly inflatable, please don't make a rigid gamepiece year again GDC) coins would be very similar to picking up and hanging the logo tubes. Personally, I'd be concerned if that's the game we're getting. I don't see many ways to make the core gameplay too different from past years (2007, 2011) — especially considering that 2011, the only tube game other than 2007, was very very similar in terms of robot design and game objective to 2007, just with a different endgame and on the cartesian coordinate plane
Most tube manipulators I've seen exploit the hole, grabbing around the small diameter of the toroid. To handle coin-shaped objects, one would be more likely to model after at 2013 disc or 2017 gear manipulators.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.
  #242   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2017, 07:29 AM
FRC #0263 (Aftershock)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2016
Dan Waxman is a splendid one to beholdDan Waxman is a splendid one to beholdDan Waxman is a splendid one to beholdDan Waxman is a splendid one to beholdDan Waxman is a splendid one to beholdDan Waxman is a splendid one to beholdDan Waxman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo1ord View Post
After seeing the similarities between the hint video and the TRON movie, plus the RFID chips that were being tested at some of the offseason events to track robots across the field, I am certain that the game will involve the line tracing mechanic like in TRON.
To be clear, I don't believe the RFID had anything to do with FIRST officially. I'm not with FIRST or Zebra, but to my knowledge at HHH, Zebra got special permission from the FTA to use DataZ, their RFID tracking technology. The last I heard, they were still in the process of trying to get it approved for use at the Long Island Regional. Being that FIRST still hasn't approved it (or very recently approved it), it's very very very unlikely that GDC was integrating this tech.
  #243   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2017, 07:49 AM
Pick and Place FTW
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
EricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Interview with Don Bossi, if I recall. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to figure out which video it was. RoboZone podcast back around June, if I'm correct?
In the interview he said that because the fields of the last few years have been complex they decided to try and get a head start on 2019 so they were working on both 2018 and 2019 simultaneously, he did not say anything about the fields being as complex or more complex.

Its Robozone podcast #25 for those interested in listening, talk about the game for 2018/2019 starts around 20 min in.

#244   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2017, 07:57 AM
AKA: Mike O.
FRC #4637 (BambieBotz)

Rookie Year: 2004
M.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond repute

I'll allow myself to speculate now that the season is merely a few weeks away...

Apologize if I'm echoing earlier sentiments, but I think the GDC has done very well with game design over the last 2 years, and I expect that to continue. There have been hiccups (I'm thinking field visability, bent springs, and low bar flaps), but the games are better designed than they used to be. At least 3 ways to score, a mix of simple and complex objectives, end games. It's good for a growing program that thinks of solutions faster than the GDC can throw problems out there.

For that reason I officially say it's hard to predict ... I mean we just saw two ball-shooting games in a row! I just hope it's not tubes... that problem has been solved, and it's too slow of a game to be exciting.

My guess is it'll be similar to the games depicted on the sides of the arcade machine in the video... 2005, 2007, 2011, 2015, 2016. The first three involved placing things in rows for multipliers. The latter two were games that required breaching a threshold (8 boulders in the tower in 2015, 40 kPa to power airship in 2016). That's the combination, multiplier placement game and probably depositing coins to get "another life".
  #245   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2017, 08:00 AM
AKA: Mike O.
FRC #4637 (BambieBotz)

Rookie Year: 2004
M.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond reputeM.O'Reilly has a reputation beyond repute

And how come I can only buy two 8" pneumatic wheels? Are there really only two in stock, or did I stumble on something????
  #246   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2017, 08:14 AM
Team President
AKA: Dikshant Sharma
FRC #0226
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2015
Roboshant has much to be proud ofRoboshant has much to be proud ofRoboshant has much to be proud ofRoboshant has much to be proud ofRoboshant has much to be proud ofRoboshant has much to be proud ofRoboshant has much to be proud ofRoboshant has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLeifermann View Post
In the interview he said that because the fields of the last few years have been complex they decided to try and get a head start on 2019 so they were working on both 2018 and 2019 simultaneously, he did not say anything about the fields being as complex or more complex.

Its Robozone podcast #25 for those interested in listening, talk about the game for 2018/2019 starts around 20 min in.
I talked to Frank about this at FOC this year. He mentioned that they began designing the games earlier so that they wouldn't have the same problem as Steamworks, where a lot of the work, part sourcing, etc. was done much too late for his liking. In addition, he told us that one of their goals in designing the upcoming game was to make it much easier to assemble and reset for volunteers. That doesn't necessarily mean a flat or simple field, I guess we'll see....

Team 226 Hammerheads
2018 Team President
2017 Engineering- Design Captain
2016 Engineering- Strategy Captain
2015 Qualitative Scouting Lead
  #247   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #2040 (DERT)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Quote:
However, I do agree that it seems we're going to see some sort of disk manipulation. I hope it isn't too 2011-esque, though. Seems like there aren't many variations on a tube game that wouldn't result in everyone just going and googling "frc 254 2011," haha.
The return of floppies?

I'd love to see robots trying to put floppies through a coin type slot
- Tennyson, Ulysses
  #248   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2017, 11:49 AM
AKA: Clayton
FRC #0100 (The WildHats)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2015
ClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud ofClayTownR has much to be proud of
Looks like Frank just spoiled the “Technician” role in the FRC blog. Perhaps it’s the code word for human player, like with “pilot” last year.

Last edited by ClayTownR : 12-20-2017 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Fixed formatting
  #249   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Brian Rozmierski
FRC #5881 (TVHS Dragons)

bdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond reputebdaroz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayTownR View Post
Looks like Frank just spoiled the “Technician” role in the FRC blog. Perhaps it’s the code word for human player, like with “pilot” last year.
Yes, but the pilots didn't get special buttons....
  #250   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2017, 01:28 PM
AKA: Max D "Code Boy"
FRC #2169 (KING TeC)
Team Role: Programmer

Maxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant futureMaxcr1 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaroz View Post
Yes, but the pilots didn't get special buttons....
That's not necessarily a reason to assume they won't this year. Perhaps they want to be able to identify on-field players or increase organization.
  #251   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2017, 04:18 PM
Mostly Legal Volunteer
no team

ctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud ofctt956 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O'Reilly View Post
And how come I can only buy two 8" pneumatic wheels? Are there really only two in stock, or did I stumble on something????
My guess is that there are only 2 in stock, or there's a website glitch, since some teams buy them for non-competition robots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_LaFleur View Post
The return of floppies?

I'd love to see robots trying to put floppies through a coin type slot
I've considered the possibility of floppies. As for the coin slot, https://youtu.be/LrezgYfod8I?t=1m20s

A random thought I had: An "NPC" field element that contains some of the game pieces, and randomly launches them in a random direction onto the field.

"You know, it's amazing how many things you can take apart with just one ordinary screwdriver!" - Calvin, from Calvin and Hobbes
"There's nothing a little duct tape and surgical tubing can't accomplish." - Sheldon J. Plankton
  #252   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2017, 07:23 PM
Makes strange design decisions
AKA: Bram
FRC #0900 (♞Zebracorns♞)
Team Role: CAD

Big-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond reputeBig-b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctt956 View Post
A random thought I had: An "NPC" field element that contains some of the game pieces, and randomly launches them in a random direction onto the field.
I like the idea of house robots in FRC, I just hope they don’t need mess too much with teams’ robots.

2018 NC District Forsyth Event Chairman's Award
2017 NC District Championship Winner
2017 NC District Raleigh Event Chairman's Award
"I've found from past experiences that the tighter your plan, the more likely you are to run into something unpredictable." - Angus MacGyver
  #253   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2017, 07:41 PM
FRC #0263 (Aftershock)

Dan Waxman is a splendid one to beholdDan Waxman is a splendid one to beholdDan Waxman is a splendid one to beholdDan Waxman is a splendid one to beholdDan Waxman is a splendid one to beholdDan Waxman is a splendid one to beholdDan Waxman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctt956 View Post

Randomness is scary for competitive games...
  #254   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2017, 09:44 PM
love/hate relationship with swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) and FTC #13471 Mentor (Minnetonka)
Team Role: Leadership

pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Waxman View Post
Randomness is scary for competitive games...
Do I hear an application for neural networks? Game piece detection... it would be really really cool to watch, especially at the high levels of competition.

“Courage cannot exist in the absence of fear.”
2010-2011: FLL 11083, 13873 (Minnetonka Silver) - Programmer
2016-: FRC 3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) - Engineering Captain, Driver, Programming Lead
2017-: FTC 13471 (Minnetonka) - Founding Mentor
  #255   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2017, 10:05 PM
FRC #0263 (Aftershock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrishna3082 View Post
Do I hear an application for neural networks? Game piece detection... it would be really really cool to watch, especially at the high levels of competition.
Neural networks are cool and all but it's hardly a fair playing field. Even for an SSD, a fairly lightweight CNN architecture, a Raspberry Pi would be very very slow for real time play. Teams that have the money to buy more expensive coprocessors (e.g. nVidia's stuff) would be at a huge advantage. It's one of those things where I don't think it's technical limitations, but money that really matters.

Fortunately, I'm on a team that could afford this technology, but I'd hate for there to be a strong incentive to implement tech that isn't affordable for a large number of teams.

Last edited by Dan Waxman : 12-20-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: